WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Michele, I’m sorry about the sciatica. I know how painful that can be. I got it every time I got pregnant. (3 times). I knew I was pregnant the last time as it kicked in way before I even went to the doctor to confirm it.

Tracy, It saddens me when one of these icons passes. Makes me feel older as I grew up with them.
    Machka, Nice job on the river rock! Looks nice. Wish I could see it in person.
    Viv,UK—I’ve never had many of the foods on that list. It would be an adventure for me to try them!
    Heather--I do Christmas cards, but no one ever sends any news in them. At least they had sign them and not have their name printed too!
    Rosemarie
    My mom (86 YO) has someone come clean her house, but she cleans it herself first! Doesn’t want to make a bad impression. LOL
    Welcome Bitta! Come back often!
    Lanette—I need to get that book “Strong Women Stay Young” might be just what I need

RVRita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk chispas and Lucy- 1hr 56min 54sec, 53elev, 3.15ap, 104ahr, 124mhr, 6.20mi= 640c
    Strava app = 759c
    Walk w/yogi- 1hr 39min 24sec, 68elev, 3.60ap, 104ahr, 124mhr, 6mi= 562c
    Strava app = 735c

Total cal 1202

Lucy got to walk her 4mi full walk.
    Kirby took yogi with him so I walked the two first then when yogi got home I walked him by himself.

Total miles walked- 12.2 miles
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    got our shopping done with out getting too wet. Had my new rain coat and rain boots on so I was ready for it.
    Stopped at the Mexican Grocery store for lots of produce- got my avocados(got 12), two papaya that were small(good beings I am the only one here that will eat them), jicama, baby carrots, pears,zucchini, kabocha squash,green onions, mango and fresh ginger- all that was just under $20.
    Then went to the Filipino grocery store. Their price on produce was high but I did get some bok choy and then kamaboko(fish cake) to go in some soup this week
    I LOVE having the different ethnic grocery stores. This Mexican store and one of the Filipino in town are not just little markets but full size grocery stores.
    Stopped at one Grocery Outlet(skipped the one downtown) and went to Dollar Tree and 99cent store. Got a few more winter craft supplies and ones I will use for St. Patrick's day from the 90% off Christmas stuff.

Coming home, dh was complaining that he was hungry but didn't know what he wanted. I suggested grilled ham and cheese and some soup.
    His comment was, " To be honest with you, I don't really like grilled sandwiches"- I asked him WHY had he never said anything. Married over 30 yrs and never said a thing. I thought he liked them.
    The beginning of that phrase is also something that really bothers me. When he says "to be honest with you......" WHAT, usually you are lying to me ?!?!? That is how it sounds to me. He says I am taking it wrong.
    I am guilty of not saying anything when he does things that bother me- Need to work on it.
    I did speak up a little. He was complaining about the store manager cutting his hours(he is sure she is out to get him) and it will mess up our medical. I reminded him of what he had said before about it being for the month coming up, not the month we are in- He didn't like the comment, gave a dirty look and then just kept driving. He really doesn't like it if someone doesn't agree with what he is saying. Oh well, he isn't always right, like he thinks he is.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Lanette—I need to get that book “Strong Women Stay Young” might be just what I need

RVRita

Ladies !!!

There's a 126 page pdf called "Growing Stronger- Strength Training for Older Adults" - it has a lot of the Strong Women Stay Young information in it. In fact, it was produced by Tuft's University, where the original SWSF research was done by Miriam Nelson.

It's a free educational tool, copyright 2002.

Here's a link of anyone wants to download a copy-

https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/11447

Lanette B)

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Lanette Thank you! I just downloaded it. I did laugh at the statement about your health care provider knowing you personally. I have only had a couple like that and it has been years. Maybe this new one will stick around for a while and get to know me (and realize that I know something about my body)

To whichever one of you (sorry don't remember who) said walking in the dark was preferred.My walk was wonderful. Our driveway goes downhill to the gate about 1000 ft, plus a circle at the top. With the new blacktop, it was an easier walk in the dark (no falling in potholes!) I got 3000 steps. The moon is so bright tonight and for the first time in weeks we have a clear night with a million stars! It was beautiful. I would have only been happier if it had been a little warmer. 34 degrees F is a little chilly for me, but the wind wasn't blowing.

Debbie I would love to have some ethnic groceries especially Filipino. I miss my chicken adobo, fried rice, pancit, and lumpia! My DH won't eat it though....There are probably some further away, but I tend to stay close to home for time. I do want to stop at the grocery for some avocados though. I like them and understand they are a great source of fiber and healthy fats. My DH will eat just about anything I put on his plate. Afterwards, he will tell me that I do or don't have to make it again. ;) He likes grilled cheese with one slice of American and either bacon or ham on it. I want Cheese, more cheese, and maybe a tomato.

Was trying to figure out what to have for dinner (DH not home yet) My oatmeal was a really long time ago. Remembered we had leftover Bison burgers that I made for dinner Wednesday night. Speaking of fried rice....I think I will take my burger, some uncle ben's rice, frozen veggies (easy), and mix me up some. He can then have his as a burger. Plan!

<3
    Kylia where it is dinner time in OHio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    The plan for tomorrow is to do another section of Kristin Dowell’s Dressed Up Drills DVD

M – isn’t it SO MUCH fun to move river rock? I moved about 25 tons of it and I don’t ever want to look at another river rock as long as I live. We had to have the rock delivered, it would have been too heavy for the SUV. They put it on the front lawn then I had to shovel the rock into a sifter to get off the river dirt, then shovel it into a Gorilla cart (worth its weight in gold) then haul it to where we needed it. Was that ever fun!!!! <snicker>

Ordered new handrails for the pool and spa. I don’t really know why, but when we had the pool installed they gave us stainless steel handrails. You can imagine how hot stainless steel gets in NC in July and august. So we ordered these handrails from this place in FL. They are coated with something that doesn’t get as hot. The bad thing is that they have to be a color, no stainless steel. But on the bright side, it may very well have some texture to it so that reduces your chances of your hand slipping

Also ordered this handrail for the steps in the garage. We noticed that when Lynette was here, she had to hold onto the doorframe as she went down the 3 stairs. Others have, too. So we’re getting a handrail for one side.

Happy Birthday Miles! Always love seeing pics of you that your grandmother posts

Carla – perhaps one reason you’ve never tried haggis is because it’s banned in the US

Deb – yes, I do that stretch. Not sure why it flares up. The Ben Gay seems to be helping a bit. Used Aspercream when I went to work because it doesn’t smell. But I don’t think it works that well. Vince doesn’t, either so we threw away the tube, Do you remember when allie posted “shhh...Tracey is pregnant but isn’t telling anyone just yet”. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Bitta – welcome!

Making spaghetti squash in the IP since it was on sale. Even the sale price of things has gone up!

Since Vince said the avocado brownies were good, I made more. But I’m still “accidentally” not mentioning the avocado in them.

Lanette – the only problem when logging your weights is that I’ve found that over the years, I seem to need a bit lighter weights to keep my form. Not much lighter.

After making the brownies, and then have church, I probably won’t have time to go for a walk (boo). Maybe I’ll stop at Food Lion on my way back from church. Just can’t pass up a good sale! And I can only use the coupon once/day

Looks like I have to return the new hose reel. Seems when vince hooked it up and turned the water on, the force of the water blew the handle off. It looks like the bottom of the box wasn’t sealed real well when it was delivered and perhaps a part got lost.

I do think that that BenGay is helping. Just hope it continues to help

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Lanette Thank you! I just downloaded it. I did laugh at the statement about your health care provider knowing you personally. I have only had a couple like that and it has been years. Maybe this new one will stick around for a while and get to know me (and realize that I know something about my body)

To whichever one of you (sorry don't remember who) said walking in the dark was preferred.My walk was wonderful. Our driveway goes downhill to the gate about 1000 ft, plus a circle at the top. With the new blacktop, it was an easier walk in the dark (no falling in potholes!) I got 3000 steps. The moon is so bright tonight and for the first time in weeks we have a clear night with a million stars! It was beautiful. I would have only been happier if it had been a little warmer. 34 degrees F is a little chilly for me, but the wind wasn't blowing.

Debbie I would love to have some ethnic groceries especially Filipino. I miss my chicken adobo, fried rice, pancit, and lumpia! My DH won't eat it though....There are probably some further away, but I tend to stay close to home for time. I do want to stop at the grocery for some avocados though. I like them and understand they are a great source of fiber and healthy fats. My DH will eat just about anything I put on his plate. Afterwards, he will tell me that I do or don't have to make it again. ;) He likes grilled cheese with one slice of American and either bacon or ham on it. I want Cheese, more cheese, and maybe a tomato.

Was trying to figure out what to have for dinner (DH not home yet) My oatmeal was a really long time ago. Remembered we had leftover Bison burgers that I made for dinner Wednesday night. Speaking of fried rice....I think I will take my burger, some uncle ben's rice, frozen veggies (easy), and mix me up some. He can then have his as a burger. Plan!

<3
    Kylia where it is dinner time in OHio

There are many Filipino restaurants around here too. Along with Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Thai.
    Dh prefers Japanese(he is half Japanese and half Yugoslavian), Chinese and now Vietnamese. He doesn't want to try the Indian places because he says they just have curry and vegetarian stuff. I would like to try a few more things there.
    Over the years I have learned to cook some of the things he likes, some I make my own version, like pho. He really likes the original and likes mine. Need to make some this week(that is why I picked up the kamaboko and bok choy) beings we will have rain all week and next week. Another favorite for them is miso soup with tofu and rice. That was my son's first "baby food" at 6 months old. Still loves it and simple to make. I now make my own teriyaki sauce the way I like it- I like it with a LOT of garlic and ginger.
    Fried rice is a hit all the time. Dh only likes Japanese rice and it doesn't make the best fried rice but I have learned a few tricks to get it better.

One thing I think is funny but SO glad they do it is, during the summer, we go to garage sales and there are many times we will go and they are selling freshly made and fried lumpia. That gets us to stop every single time.
    I need to make them again. The store bought ones are so expensive and again, I like to add more garlic and ginger to mine and prefer my egg rolls to any store bought or restaurant ones. Mom and I used to make a double batch of egg rolls- 200 at a time, and freeze them then pop some out for a quick addition to a meal. I add lots of veggies and ground pork in mine. Sometimes ground chicken. Always tons of garlic and ginger.

Debbie

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Debbie Yummy! Yes, ginger and garlic! And I would stop for lumpia all day long! We have a friend that makes egg rolls and rangoons (or raccoons if you are my DH). My DH bought me some and they are in the freezer. My SIL said they had too much meat in the egg rolls for her, but I haven't tried yet. Since it is pork, I have to be cautious to not eat too many.

Well, it seems my DH had a Bison burger the night I went to the theater, so...improvise I did. I had some Tyson Chicken patties in the freezer, so microwaved one, cut of the breading, cut up the meat, and added to the rice. I also added broccoli and spinach and lots of garlic and ginger. It was yummy! DH said no thank you when I offered him a bite-hehe!

250 steps to 10K today! BIG WIN! Lacking on water, so will work on that while I read.

TTFN,
    Kylia in Ohio with a full belly of yummy stuffs
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

I did my dumbbells twenty reps! Yay! It's getting a little easier, once I get started. Maybe another week before I can kick it up a notch!

My parents are difficult to cook for. They don't want anything unfamiliar or spicy, and it has to be easy to chew. Processed meat like hamburger or hot dogs work well, but aren't healthy. I try to cook fish twice a week.

Pip a twelve mile day! You go girl! And we are so happy that the nasty tumor is all gone. Yay!

Well my normal Sunday challenges are huge portions of meat and then ice cream. I didn't buy any more of my ice cream ( non-dairy frozen dessert stuff). So we shall see how that goes tomorrow. I might do my walking video, too.

Good night!

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Michelle- have you tried Voltarin cream(get it on Amazon, their version of it
    ). It works great and doesn't smell.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Machka I don't walk outside partly because the sidewalks are not flat so it stresses my knee and partly just because I prefer indoors. I thought I was beyond using the knee brace, but maybe not. It doesn't hurt very often anymore, but I wish I could get it stronger. Sounds like a job for PT!

I got my laundry started and that was my big chore for the day. Then dumbbells tonight.

Allie Happy birthday to Smiley Miles! Hope the drama is minimal.

Annie in Delaware

What about a drive to a park where the sidewalks are better?
    Yes, PT can be very good.
    I'd also recommend a Pilates class.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »

RVRita

Ladies !!!

There's a 126 page pdf called "Growing Stronger- Strength Training for Older Adults" - it has a lot of the Strong Women Stay Young information in it. In fact, it was produced by Tuft's University, where the original SWSF research was done by Miriam Nelson.

It's a free educational tool, copyright 2002.

Here's a link of anyone wants to download a copy-

https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/11447

Lanette B)

Thank you!
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    The plan for tomorrow is to do another section of Kristin Dowell’s Dressed Up Drills DVD

M – isn’t it SO MUCH fun to move river rock? I moved about 25 tons of it and I don’t ever want to look at another river rock as long as I live. We had to have the rock delivered, it would have been too heavy for the SUV. They put it on the front lawn then I had to shovel the rock into a sifter to get off the river dirt, then shovel it into a Gorilla cart (worth its weight in gold) then haul it to where we needed it. Was that ever fun!!!! <snicker>

Michele NC

Yeah, river rock is much more difficult to work with than the limestone gravel we've used on the paths etc.! Thankfully, I didn't need a whole lot of it.

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    <3 Jake built a fire in the woodstove after lunch so it was so warm and toasty in the house that I could bear the idea of going for a walk in the gray drizzly weather at noon or at five so I rode my exercise bike all afternoon and read and watched TV. Only 13,000 steps from my morning walk, but many hours on the exercise bike.

:) What a super birthday party for Miles. Loved all the photos.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Michele -do you mind sharing where you got your pool and stair rails? My son needs to get some because his mil used the pool a lot and has trouble getting in and out.

Took all day but we got all the decorations put up and the floors swept. My house cleaner comes Wednesday so she will do a better job. My dh said we could do the cleaning and save money. I told him it took us all day and she is truly worth the money.

Lisa - we have been having issues with Lowes over the veteran’s discount. For years, they ask for dh’s phone number and it would come up on the register that he was a veteran. Then they made some changes so he had to go into their website to register. He did but unfortunately they couldn’t find him. He did it several times before he called the corporate office. They say they have fixed the problem, we will see.

Take care of yourselves.
    SueBDew in TX