Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Barbara I agree like any med you have to weigh the risk to benefit of the medicine you are taking or are giving to your pet. What scares me is the health of our pets seems to be more serious just like us at a younger age. More cancers, more autoimmune, cognitive decline.

(((Tina)))

(((Katie)))

(((Tracey)))
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    o:)<3o:)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options

The plan for tomorrow is to do a Beach Body 10 Minute Trainer DVD. Then only one more day of work for 5 weeks!

Barbara – I don’t care for something REALLY spicy, but I do like something with a kick. Wish somewhere there was a free sample so I can see if it’s too spicy for me. Like I do like the mild salsa. It probably did say two servings, but I really can’t take an unopened can in the car with me until the next stop. At home, maybe I'll try the spicy and if it's too spicy, I'll just water it down until I finish it. Hmmmm...now that I think of it, we’ll probably only make one stop for food on the way down there and then have dinner when we get there, so one can should do me until we get there and I can see if WalMart there carries the smaller can. Like I said, if not, it’ll just be water for me. Shadow is also on fluoxitene? That’s one of the pills Loki gets

Kim – what a neat idea to get the image of a leaf on your platter. I never in my life thought of something like that. I have to try that technique on something (just not sure what – maybe a cup?)

M – the one and only time I had a UTI, my cousin had to tell me what it was that I had!

Betsy – have fun on your cruise! Good news for your sister, at least the tumor hasn’t grown any. Never been on a cruise, either

Off to take my walk.

Michele NC
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Hope today is better, Tina.

Ah... shoot, too small for me too, Allie.

Oh dang, drkatiebug, I am SO SORRY. That is so sad. Sending love and prayers for you and that family.

Tracey, I remember when I lost my dad. Same thing. I still feel it sometimes. I miss him so much, especially when I need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of. He was such a good listener and he could "solve" just about anything. His mind was so sharp. You miss your dad for some things and your mom for others. Don't know what I'm gonna do when I lose her. She's still my best friend, even in her condition.

11-Make twice as much for dinner and invite friends or deliver a meal... we'll try or do this another day, when I make chili or spaghetti.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate IHOP protein pancakes!
    #2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.

#3 Watch a movie that reminds you of kindness. I watched the Adam Project.
    #4 Take a picture of 3 things that make you happy. Send them to a friend. Done!
    #5 Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is equally important. Will do today.
    #6 Start a conversation with someone new. I do this every day with the campers!
    #7 Consider a current struggle. Write down 2 thoughts that give you comfort. My dog Brownie’s heart trouble. Her spells are getting worse and there is nothing the vet can do. Comforting thoughts—She lived a good life with us. She brought us many days of comfort and enjoyment with her loving attitude.
    #8. Consider and celebrate diversity today. I am a white girl living among darker Mexicans and native Americans. Campers come from around the world and love to hear the accents and learn about the different cultures i come into contact with. Do this every day!
    #9. Identify a role model who embodies perseverance. Can you find two ways to emulate them? My 30 year old autistic nephew. He never gives up no matter what health challenge he faces. I can emulate him by not complaining about every little ache and pain, and by doing what needs to be done to get through any health issues that may come up.
    #10. Check an item off your to-do list this weekend. Working on my taxes.
    #11. Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver the meal to a friend. We give food to people all the time. My DH cooks and we give food to different campers and workers here at the park almost every day!
    #12. Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused.
    #13. Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness?
    #14. Express creativity by making art or cooking a new meal.
    #15. If you are waiting in line today, let someone get in front of you.
    #16. The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure to let them know.
    #17. Offer a helping hand to someone, such as holding a door for a stranger.
    #18. Share about a recent book you read and what you learned.
    #19. Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink.
    #20. Complement someone today. Ideas include recognizing a great smile or earrings.
    #21. When you recognize someone is struggling, offer words of support.
    #22. Ask for help. That’s a simple way to express bravery.
    #23. Encourage your teammates to utilize their unique strengths.
    #24. Reflect on the steps you have taken to achieve your past goals.
    #25. Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    #26. Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    #27. Send or leave a handwritten thank you note to someone.
    #28. Giving constructive feedback is one way to ignite honesty.

Rita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Need help with my "Listening..." homework. Would anyone share an example of when they really just needed to be heard, but others talked over them or snowed them with advice.?

Thanks!
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Just live a day with me! I am constantly being talked over. It's one of the main reasons I like communicating through the written word rather than talking and will often send an email first before attempting to speak to someone.

If I really want to say something, I will just keep talking even though I am being talked over and I will do it slightly louder.

Otherwise I will stop talking and roll my eyes and the moment they take a breath, I'll say, "As I was saying ..."

M in Oz

Barbara & Machka I think social anxiety, passion, hearing difficulties, know-it-all-ism, and gender all contribute to talking over people. I tend to talk over people when I am passionate about something, but I am keenly aware of social cues, so I immediately know what I have done and apologize for interrupting and ask the other person to please continue. If I am talked over, I don’t resume my comments unless it’s important for some reason - conveying accurate information to someone, or explaining something the other person really needs to understand (this mostly applied at work prior to retirement). Otherwise, I just figure I was being boring. I’m not always the most interesting conversationalist, LOL. t0817.gif

Karen in Virginia

i wish my dh would become aware of him doing this. He dominates all conversations, no matter where we are or who we are with. I am used to it, especially around his friends but get a bit annoyed when we happen to be with my friends or family and I can't get a word in. Then, when he finally does stop talking, I have forgotten what I wanted to say or the conversation has gone in a totally different way.
    That is why I love walking with my friends with him not there. Then it is a two way conversation instead of a one way.

You have described my DH too! He has alcoholic dementia and does this all the time to campers. I need to talk over him to give the answer to the question campers ask!

Rita
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Feb 11 Make twice as much for dinner and either invite a guest or deliver meal to a friend. Not today, unless veg dip and prep for tomorrow’s fellowship counts. Really should think of a good meal to bring to R, D & W.

Machka that “our minds were not designed for…” meme is why my phone is on silent most of the time ;)
    Kim yours on processed food and better than. Just so.
    Tracey ((hugs)) Hope your great music idea and some rest help the grieving process.
    Debbie how is it that the guys who grow their hair long have the good hair? Joe’s is thick, abundant and full, while mine is fine, wispy and sparse at the ends.
    Katla fun plans to look forward to… priceless!
    Heather I just :love: love 6 y/o Bea’s dangling footed concentration.
    Karen in VA thank you. Had no idea the weight could be more than the package says. Sure isn’t the case with my cottage cheese, I can never get all four 113 g servings out from a container… ;P
    Betsy thankful for the good news. Bon voyage.
    Annie do you think your Dad doesn’t want to see your mother’s decline, or is not able to see it? :sad:
    Michele, you might like it, but it’s more like medium salsa to me. If you bought a multipack of cans, if it’s not to your taste you could donate the unopened ones. Or if you bought a bottle, you could use the remainder in soup, chili, tomato sauce… Shadow gets fluoxitene when her lick granuloma flares up. Took awhile to get the dosage right, we were giving her too much at first.

Breakfast’s gone. Maybe that chill wind will die down a little while I do morning PT… ;)
    02/10: Move: 2 sets PT w/dumbbells, HBCG stroll with D. active mins:316 steps:8137
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 15+2+5 = basil, beets-baked+juice, carrot juice, celery juice, cucumber, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lettuce juice, mint jelly, parsley juice, peanut butter, pecans, pepperoncini, popcorn, radish, romaine, spinach juice, tangerines, tea, tomato juice/sauce/bits in soup, watercress juice, wheat (English muffin/pizza crust/rigatoni). CI<CO=657
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, 1.5 loads laundry, Freddie’s, hymns, emailed district meeting notice. Wt:137.6
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Karen- thank you for that information- I had NO idea.

Rosemarie- thank you-

Betsy- great news on your sister and I am sure you will love the cruise. Which cruise line are you going on? We have been on four, all on the same ship- The Grand Princess, all along the Pacific coast, three trips south and one north up to Victoria, BC. We pick that ship because it leaves out of SF which is a quick ferry ride for us to get to it. No flying or long drives to get to the ship. The Grand has moved and now I think it is the Ruby. Looking forward to another cruise. I haven't had any vacation time since covid started. We were actually on the Grand on the cruise right before the one that got hit with covid and had to stay on the ship in port. The people who were walking onto the ship when we were leaving are the ones that got it. WAY too close. Could have been us. Our friend that went with us was sick after but no way to know what it was.
    People say they gain weight on cruises, if you just put a little more thought into it, it is easy to actually loose weight while eating amazing food. I had seafood every single night.
    As soon as MIL goes in to a home, we can find someone to stay with her(not going to happen, we tried that) or she dies, then we will get to have another trip.
    So many places I want to go.
    I will be thrilled with a weekend away at our cabin near Mendocino. Anything, just to get away.

Beth- that is how we felt with dh's dad and aunt before they passed away. Let them enjoy what ever they want. At 97, his aunt still loved really rich food. We would take her out every Sunday. And almost every Sunday she ordered the same thing- Prime rib, steamed veggies, baked potato, (she would give me her salad that came with it) a glass of White Zin wine and a piece of cream pie. The flavor of the pie changed but otherwise, it was the same.

Barbara- I think with son's hair it is an Asian thing. Dh has a lot. Son's girlfriend has a TON(very thick but not as straight as Jona's. Not getting his hair cut every few weeks is sure saving him money. He will need all he can save right now. Buying a new car to replace his truck that was stolen Sunday. Having it shipped up through Carmax. Hope he likes it- it is the only type of car he is even looking at. Proud that he has qualified for the loan on his own and is planning on putting half down and half financed. Still cant get over a car that is 3 yrs old costing $30K but I know prices are crazy on everything. He could get one for half that if he wanted a different car.
    He has been working hard and saving his money and has the 30K in the bank but doesn't want to spend all of it so will make payments.

Rita- HUGS- It is hard to deal with that all the time.

Allie- beautiful slippers but too big for me- I wear 6 in slippers. (some of my shoes are actually 3 1/2 in kids size ;) ) I go up to a 6 1/2 in boots if I am going to wear thick socks in them

Annie-I hope you get all the paperwork together with little drama.

Tina- hope you have a lot better weekend.

Carla- Totally agree- Sure miss my dad- So many times I want to ask him something. Hard to believe it has been two years. Could use his help with pruning right now.

Not sure what is planned for today. Doing more laundry because the old cat peed and pooped on my side of the bed early this morning. Know for sure it was her(dh was blaming one of the other ones. Caught her in the act the second time. Thankfully it was on the washable pads.
    Dh is at his mom's. He had mentioned wanting me to go over there and walk her dog while he did her nails. I haven't been over there since well before Christmas. Has been a nice break.

Burgers for dinner tonight- had planned them night before last then last night but went out with a friend of dh's both nights.
    Safeway has hamburger $1.89 a pound when you buy 6pounds or more. Will make a meatloaf and then what ever is left will freeze. I prefer ground turkey but at that price, I will use it.

Debbie
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Kylia - That was Edie's picture. (I know it's confusing :p)
    Thus is the picture Bea did on DH's computer. She spent ages on it and then had a meltdown when she thought it wasn't saved. Just knackered.
    ubi7godglut1.png

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Paints are more work for us setting up, but less drama mentally for kids than computer drawing.

I remember the boys playing Sonic the hedgehog, and there's a point where if they didn't jump specifically, they go into water and drowned "digitally speaking". My sons always got so stressed out, I recall. I tried to make a game out of it, when they got to that part. I'd purposely tell them to lose over and over until they would be laughing about it. Then when that part came, they wouldn't freak out about it. (Like swatting a horse gently with a feed bag so they get used to movements and aren't so skittery)! Boys are strange!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    so, current picture of my son with his long hair- wearing a baseball hat- the funny thing behind his head is the curio cabinet. I didn't notice until I enlarged the picture.

88t56x9tynkv.png

Not my style but at least he keeps it clean and neat and out of his eyes. Better than middle school/high school when it was not as long but used the flat iron and kept it all down in his eyes so you couldnt see his face.
    I do prefer it when he had it shorter.

Debbie

His hair is beautiful!!
    He's a handsome guy.👍🏻
    Does he braid it during the summer? That would look cool.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    I told her that my hair looked extra "fuzzy". Lol! She said, " everyone's hair is fuzzy during the winter in Washington "! True!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    so, current picture of my son with his long hair- wearing a baseball hat- the funny thing behind his head is the curio cabinet. I didn't notice until I enlarged the picture.

88t56x9tynkv.png

Not my style but at least he keeps it clean and neat and out of his eyes. Better than middle school/high school when it was not as long but used the flat iron and kept it all down in his eyes so you couldnt see his face.
    I do prefer it when he had it shorter.

Debbie

His hair is beautiful!!
    He's a handsome guy.👍🏻
    Does he braid it during the summer? That would look cool.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

He does put it in a braid sometimes when he is home. I don't remember him wearing it in one when he goes out. We will see this summer as it is quite a bit longer now

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara ... Thank you, but I can get wound up if I’m really passionate about something. It can be off-putting.

Katie… my heart goes out to your husband’s cousin’s family - and to you - several years back my mother’s cousin died from liver cancer just a couple of weeks after getting his wife settled in memory care. He realized he was sick, and prioritized securing care for her rather than his own health. It was the right choice, nothing could have been done for him at the advanced stage he was in, but it was all rather shocking and unexpected. He didn’t tell anyone he was sick, not even his children.

DDIL sent me a video this morning of Bea's violin practice. I can't post the video, so I did a screenshot.

yf17ic23jb9u.jpg

She always says she prefers the piano, but she seems to be making good progress. She's still only 6. :) I love the way she is balancing on the sofa arm. I'm sure her mother urged her to find a more comfortable seat!

I've had my bath and I smell delicious, with the cruise free gift body lotion. :D I must make an appointment for a hair trim, but even a basic wet cut is sooooo expensive now. I will have to use savings as I need enough in my current account for my jaunt to see 'the girls' in London at the end of the month. Train fare, plus lunch out. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Oh, my heart! That Bea...
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    I ate 1132 calories today, because of a second portion of chocolate. And I had a bite of pork chop yesterday after I was supposed to be done eating. I can feel myself slipping! My limit is 1100.

I am cooking a random piece of beef from the freezer. It will likely be soup in the end. It has a big circular bone in the middle; it might be a hock. So I'm simmering it with onions and celery. Then I have some beans to add.

Annie in Delaware