WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Kim my parents are very stubborn and misinformed and suspicious of the wrong things when it comes to finances. And they won't listen to me until they are stuck in a pickle.
    Good luck, and bless you for trying. You will get a star in your crown, as my mother used to say.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Debbie - you have me drooling at your greenhouse photos! My potatoes are ready to be planted and it's been so cool and wet I haven't had the desire. Rain is supposed to continue for the next few days but hopefully it will warm up and give me some time outside where I can get them planted. Doing the cardboard box planting this year. Can't recall if I posted the video. If anyone wants to see it, let me know.

Time to feed the chickies (Machka, thanks for the cartoon! :p )

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

It is supposed to rain AGAIN Friday but warm up a lot starting Sunday(forecast says 80 for Sunday and 81 for Monday)

It has been to cold and wet for so long. It felt great to get some things in my new little greenhouse.
    It was only $43 plus shipping for it and big enough for what I need.
    My actual garden hasn't been weeded or gone up into since early November so weeds are crazy up there. Don't mind the oxalis because it pulls easy. It is the terrible Bermuda grass that I HATE. Really hard on the back after pulling for few hours. Need to put more weed block down under the pots again. Will have my son help me with that. He owes me some gardening time(birthday gift from him)
    Once I get started it isn't bad, just getting started that is hardest for me. I may go up there this afternoon for a little bit, see just how bad it is.

Need to pull out a few craft projects for Ezie for the next two days. Has been so nice having the three days off that I didn't plan on.

Question about Easter dinner-
    Are you planning the traditional meal of ham, etc?
    Or are you doing something else?
    I will be making cashew chicken and rice. Not sure what else. Dessert will be a pineapple angel food cake(sooo easy and everyone loves it- just a box of angelfood cake mix and a can of crushed pineapple mixed together . Don't add the eggs/water that the box calls for. Bake at 350 for 35 min- that is it)topped with whipped cream.
    Not sure if son will be here but when ever I make my cashew chicken, everyone loves it and any leftovers are eating the next day. Even MIL likes it. Same with the sweet and sour pork.
    I love cooking the big traditional meals but a waste if the guys aren't going to eat it.

Need to go clean out the fridge and part of the freezer. Each week I try and dump more stuff. Want to totally clean the freezer out and defrost it. No room for new stuff because all the old stuff that needs to just be dumped if no one is going to eat it. Just need to be more careful going forward with what we buy.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,505 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Turn on the music and dance while folding laundry and putting it away.
    Welcome @Latestarter2018 Sarah from New Zealand!
    Heather ((hugs)) held extra long for Johnny. So sad.
    Debbie and Rebecca that is reason number one why I have a female dermatologist. Reson number two is that the female derms I’ve had have always listened better and been gentler than the first, grumpy, mean, old male one. Debbie glad your guy at least has a sense of humor. Prayers continue for Destiny hope.
    Allie love your smile and especially love that Carmine entrusted you with the secret. Prayer said for this afternoon’s appointment.
    Kylia prayer said for today's appointment.
    Pip very well done, both the fundraising and Lucy.
    Machka I wish our MD had the same attitude about that BP. 145/87 was Joe’s yesterday after being off Lisinopril for a week, but the PA tried to argue him into taking it again. He felt she was so adversarial he wants to quit the practice and all meds entirely. I’m scared.
    Joy good luck with the mammo.

Only through page 14 but time to change from dog walking clothes to those appropriate to wear in public ;).
    04/04: Move: 2 sets PT w/D. steps:2880 :P
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 8+6+4+2= almonds, apple, avocado, beans-chili, beans-garbanzo, beans-green, beets, cucumber, Kashi, lettuce-spring mix, maple syrup, onion soup, peanut sauce, radish, rice-brown, romaine, soy breakfast patty, tangerines, tea, wheat-sourdough/tortilla CI =1401
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, lemon crinkles, wrap goodies and mail, bank. Wt:134.7

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. April: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • dlfk202000
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Kim, I am so sorry you are dealing with all of that. She really does sound so much like MIL. It is hard to believe that they can be so hateful to their own child who is doing nothing wrong just taking care of them as best they can.
    Fumiko has not called dh a slave outright but that is exactly how she is treating him.
    She has healed from her broken bones and can do so much for herself but still wants and expects him to be there still, twice a day. June 10th will be a year of this(before he was staying there 24/7 but stopped that finally.
    I hope your appointment goes well. I wish dh would go. He really could benefit from it.

I had dh read your post- He sees so much of his mom in it.
    He asks- is your mom's primary language something other than English?
    His mom's primary is Japanese/Okinawan. Her doctors say she has a disconnect in her brain. She has trouble processing things more that she is older.

His mom doesn't call him her slave but treats him like it and if he doesn't kiss her a**, she yells at him that he is abusing her. She refuses to get up and eat at the table, just sits in her recliner waiting for him to serve her her food. She "throws face" as he calls it if it is something she decides she doesn't want. She expects him to pick up food for her and almost always refuses to eat any leftovers, even if it is things she tells him to pick up for her

HUGS!!

Debbie

edit- one other thing, have you found that she is worse in the evenings(the blank stares and odd comments?).
    Yesterday MIL asked dh how they got their last name. Why was it different. Doesn't sound Yugo.
    The night before, asked him what year he was born.
    During the day yesterday she was really good- cooked a big meal with very little help. Made pork curry and daikon w/ potatoes and pork. Dh cut up the pork and that was it, she did everything else, like cutting all the veggies with no problem. This shows us that her wrist/hand is a lot better. Other days she says she can't do anything because of it(wants him to wait on her even more)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,069 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    My mom wants me to make lamb for Easter. I looked for a small piece of leg of lamb but no luck. So I bought some chops and some stew pieces; I'm going to cook it all in water like a pot roast with onion and carrot until it falls off the bone and see if it makes stew. The backup is a tiny ham and a can of crushed pineapple. And I bought a small chocolate cake because I'm really not the best cook.

Annie in Delaware

Eta: OMG the pineapple stuffing recipes call for a month's calorie allowance of butter and sugar! I bet the lamb isn't skinny food either. Maybe we will have hard boiled eggs!
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I’ve been helping a friend undecorating an artificial Christmas Tree. Basket ball colored balls are being put away now. I wonder if the tree will become a golf ball tree. I’ll be happy to help. I will suggest the idea of using pingpong balls as artificial golf balls.🌹

Katla in Illinois
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Lanette I usually bought a roasted chicken from Costco and made chicken broth from the bones. Very inexpensive compared to beef bones I bought for $5 #. But, beef bones are higher in collagen so I thought I would try them. Now with the price difference I think I might do a mixture to keep the cost down. I also did a little experiment with adding about an oz. of Cheddar broccoli soup mix to a cup of broth. The taste was amazing!! The only issue is the broccoli didn’t have enough time to absorb the liquid and was rock hard. My husband the cook told me that I need to let it sit for about 20 minutes and heat it up a couple of times to get the broccoli to rehydrate. I’m going to try that tonight! Now I can drink it every day for the rest of my life and love the taste! Lots of soup bases and other ingredients to make it taste better!! I want to try Margaret’s ideas,but we are on the road so I brought the soup base. I made enough broth and froze it for our trip!!

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Oh, Kim. I'm so sorry your mother is being rude. Even if she thinks she's being funny, it's not an excuse.

Take care of yourself as well as you can.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Electrophysiologist is the electric heart Dr,mine is also my cardiologist.. he is great...
    My BP was 108 / 72 thank goodness for bp meds lol ,waiting on the doc now.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    Kim I am sorry I wasn't aware of the back story with your mom. Take what I mentioned earlier with a grain of salt friend.💖🙏
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Kim

Hugs!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Kim- another thing dh says, regarding his mother-
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know if you will get plain or just nuts
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Turn on the music and dance while folding laundry and putting it away.

Debbie and Rebecca that is reason number one why I have a female dermatologist. Reson number two is that the female derms I’ve had have always listened better and been gentler than the first, grumpy, mean, old male one. Debbie glad your guy at least has a sense of humor. Prayers continue for Destiny hope.

04/04: Move: 2 sets PT w/D. steps:2880 :P
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 8+6+4+2= almonds, apple, avocado, beans-chili, beans-garbanzo, beans-green, beets, cucumber, Kashi, lettuce-spring mix, maple syrup, onion soup, peanut sauce, radish, rice-brown, romaine, soy breakfast patty, tangerines, tea, wheat-sourdough/tortilla CI =1401
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, lemon crinkles, wrap goodies and mail, bank. Wt:134.7

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. April: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

My regular doctor and gyn are both female- dermatology and plastic surgeon(for melanoma removal and reconstruction) were both male.

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Katla--I have read Robyn Carr, Virgin River books and enjoyed them. Happy for you that you got your library card. Maybe your daughter could bring you a few of your books and when are done exchange them for others until you have a place you can have them all.
    Kim--Please feel free to vent all you need. Sending prayers and hugs. Wish I was closer so I could help.
    Another fun day at the zoo, full moon does make a differnce. Went to meeting about my friend being sent home. Guess they are planning on Saturday. So I will pick her up and take her home and make sure she has some easy mircowave meals for a couple weeks. I just pray she does ok.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3