WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,755 Member
    Options
    Debbie ...Easter Dinner. There will be 4 of us for dinner. I'm making a small ham for my husband - the only one who eats ham. I'm making stuffed cabbage rolls for my mom - she is the only one who eats them and this is her request now for every dinner that she has at my home. I asked my son what he wanted and he said a stuffed turkey. I gave him a good whack on the arm! :D I'll have potatoes and vegetables and rolls along with kolachki (nut roll) and carrot cake. My son and I will pick at the ham and the stuffed cabbage. And then, of course, there will be candy! >:)

Beth
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Debbie ...Easter Dinner. There will be 4 of us for dinner. I'm making a small ham for my husband - the only one who eats ham. I'm making stuffed cabbage rolls for my mom - she is the only one who eats them and this is her request now for every dinner that she has at my home. I asked my son what he wanted and he said a stuffed turkey. I gave him a good whack on the arm! :D I'll have potatoes and vegetables and rolls along with kolachki (nut roll) and carrot cake. My son and I will pick at the ham and the stuffed cabbage. And then, of course, there will be candy! >:)

Beth

for holidays I try to make one main thing then sides that I let the guys each pick two- son always picks deviled eggs and mac & cheese. Dh picks rice and if asparagus is in season, like now, he will pick that. I like salad and mashed potatoes(son also likes mashed potatoes)or sweet potatoes.

I have started doing salmon as our main lately, something everyone likes. Son prefers turkey but dh doesn't care too much for it. He likes ham but son doesn't like it. I am ok with either, as long as I have a lot of veggies too.

There will be at most, four of us here. That is if son and his girlfriend are here. Haven't heard if they will be here or at her families. Dh will take some over to his mom's.

Church is doing pancake breakfast, Sunday School, church, fried chicken potluck, early afternoon service and then candy hunt for the kids. I will be there just for church. Beings I go to church by myself and there are so many people in a little room and of course, no one wears masks, I haven't felt like going. Maybe next time I will.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family to Costco and back- 2hrs 21min 44sec, 38elev, 3.02ap, 86ahr, 117mhr, 7.26mi= 683c
    Strava app/ 889c
    Walk home to gym- 11.29min, .52mi= 52c
    Strava app= 64c
    Rowing machine- 10min, 34aw, 81ahr, 97mhr, 1388meters= 70c
    Elliptical machine- 10min, 2incl, 2resist, 119ahr, 131mhr, .74mi= 74c
    Walk gym to home- 12.06min, .55mi= 51c
    Strava app= 68c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 35.45min, 40gear, last mile 35gear, 364elev, 105aw, 16.8amph, 102ahr, 120mhr, 10.03mi= 208c
    Strava app= 213c
    Zwift stats- 35.45min, 367elev, 104aw, 45arpm, 16.78amph, 10mi= 214c

Total cal 1138
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Heather - thanks for sharing your opinion however in California that is illegal

Specifically, California Family Code section 4400 (“FC 4400”) states that, “Except as otherwise provided by law, an adult child shall, to the extent of the adult child's ability, support a parent who is in need and unable to self-maintain by work.

And my mother has NOT abused me all my life. My childhood was a delight, which is probably why I am the person I am, my mother lost her way when my dad died, I was 19 years old.

Annie , Lisa and Rebecca- thanks I appreciate the support.

Kim in N. California.

How many weeks do you have left?

I see my husband, since his severe brain injury, in some of what you've said and in what others have said.

Blank stare ... oh yes. I'll talk more about it after work. My bus is about to drop me off now.

Hugs!

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,123 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Kim If you read the FC4400 that is referring to financial support for necessities and care. Not that you are required to physically care for them. That only applies if they don’t have financial resources to support themselves. You can get a waiver if you can’t afford to pay. If it was my parents I would physically care for them as well but definitely set limitations.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,353 Member
    Options
    Worked yesterday, then put down the paver sand and then seeded some small parts. Vince had an eye MD appt and he got his eyes dilated so I went to ceramics alone. Today the guy was here to do the excavating.l It was a day where I could have washed the car, but instead I cleaned the railing on the deck. Helped Vince with a block and then went to Aldi.

Today (Wed) I did Firm’s total Strength and Abs DVD then went for a walk around the block

Terri – lovely painting

Rita – good for you listening to your gut

I was supposed to volunteer at the Green Room today but I wanted to be here for the excavating guy. Besides, it was too nice to be inside. Maybe I’ll go Friday, it’s supposed to rain

katla – you’re sounding more and more happy about where you are, I’m so glad. Now the card!!!

Allie – I’m happy for Carmine in that he has a date, but at the same time so sad he’s so confused. Hopefully, this will help clear the confusion. Great glasses. So glad things are OK with the kidney doc

Debbie – I have to say that one of the things I am OCD about is weeds. I see a weed and I have to pull it. If I can’t, out comes the weed killer

latestarter – welcome! It’s never too late to join in!

I know Vince is tired from all he did today and I’m tired so we won’t go walking tonight

pip – yea for Lucy!

Kylia – could you have white coat syndrome?

Rebecca – I swear, your son better have a gun when Athena gets older!

Kim – I agree with Rebecca – keep the conversations simple and hug yourself every day. You ARE doing a great thing

Debbie – I love the pineapple angel food. Unfortunately, Jess won’t eat it. So I’m getting an ice cream cake and I made brownies. That’s enough dessert. I’m really undecided if I should ask friends from bowling for Easter dinner. I know they’ll be alone. If it’s nice weather, I would like Colby to help some with the heavier things.

Michele NC
    who is going to watch some TV
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ⭐️

Katla in Illinois
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Mary - my chicken bone broth is smelling great. I did take the lid off for 10 seconds to stir it and tasted what was on the spoon - it did have some flavor, almost a little sweetness from the carrot. I agree with the beef bones having more collagen. Even slow cooking something like beef shanks - the refrigerated leftovers would be sitting in in gelatin. Maybe I need to pick some up at the butcher shop.
    :D

Flea - thanks to you and Mary for the info regarding that California law. I was confused, wondering why a child would legally be required to pay or take care of a parent who still had assets.

The parent might not want to sell those assets to pay for care, but sometimes there might not be a choice. I know that happens here in WA State. I was under the assumption that Medicare paid for most of the bill for rehab after surgery for the first 100 days, I could be wrong.

Kim - you have taken on a lot. ((HUGS))) I hope an end date has been established so you have some sense of when you can return to your normal life.

One of the hardest things for me was expecting my DH to get better, him saying he WAS doing better yet seeing him continue to deteriorate. Made me question my sanity more than once.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Medicare paid for 21 days of rehab for my mom in Washington. She had long-term care insurance that paid $200 day for her assisted living after that, but that didn't cover it all. I think she paid another $1000 or so a month. Thankfully, she had resources.

I was just quoting Mary, so I get no credit for finding the California information. I was a little appalled by the statute, because it seemed to burden families unnecessarily. If no one has resources, what options are there? And is it fair to require families to give up their time and resources for elder care?

When my husband was spending the money for his mother and was a little cranky about it, I told him to stop doing it that the state wouldn't put her on the street, but perhaps that wasn't true? In any case, like Kim, he felt responsible, so he continued to do it. When she died, Medicaid took from the value of her house everything they had spent on her care, but we were just out the money we had spent.

Not complaining. Just stating.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options

Medicare paid for 21 days of rehab for my mom in Washington. She had long-term care insurance that paid $200 day for her assisted living after that, but that didn't cover it all. I think she paid another $1000 or so a month. Thankfully, she had resources.

I was just quoting Mary, so I get no credit for finding the California information. I was a little appalled by the statute, because it seemed to burden families unnecessarily. If no one has resources, what options are there? And is it fair to require families to give up their time and resources for elder care?

When my husband was spending the money for his mother and was a little cranky about it, I told him to stop doing it that the state wouldn't put her on the street, but perhaps that wasn't true? In any case, like Kim, he felt responsible, so he continued to do it. When she died, Medicaid took from the value of her house everything they had spent on her care, but we were just out the money we had spent.

Not complaining. Just stating.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

Flea - OK, I see the 100 day coverage depends on a person's supplemental insurance - whether they have an Advantage plan or a Medigap plan that gives that benefit. I have Medigap Plan G. Coverage in "skilled nursing" is covered for 100 days. So it will cover after the 21 Medicare pay days run out.

I did a supplemental insurance cost comparison for DH and me when we signed up for Medicare way back when. Based on our health and doc/hospital past history, we were better off paying a higher premium for a Medigap policy that covered literally everything to the max (except the $226 Part B Deductible). We initially had plan F but I switched to G after DH died - much lower premiums and the only difference was the Part B Deductible.

I'm with you, I find it very troubling that the state can go after kid's resources when the parent runs out of funds, although in our grandparent's time, kids just naturally took the old folks in. Many of them didn't live as long either. Medical advances come with a downside.... granny lives a lot longer but her chances of dementia, fractures and other quality of life issues increase, and someone has to pay for that. :/

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

I ate 1298 calories today, quite a bit high. I bought a chocolate cake for Easter, then went ahead and had a tiny slice. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I did an hour of yoga, twenty minutes on the bike, and thirty minutes of aerobic walking. So the final deficit is 281. Yay! Not bad for a high chocolate day.

It was supposed to rain today but it never did. We are expecting a thunderstorm tomorrow afternoon, so I won't go horseback riding. Unless the forecast is way off again.

Annie in Delaware