AUGUST 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Also, awesome run! Way to break in your new shoes!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »
    I want to ask for everyone’s opinion on something. I signed up in the spring for a marathon when I optimistically thought I wouldn’t get sick/injured/busy with kids/work/summer holidays and could train a bunch to be well prepared for the race. Well now I’m a little less than 4 weeks out and haven’t even got a 10 miler in in months. The race wasn’t that expensive to sign up for, so I wouldn’t cry over it if I didn’t run it. Do you think I should still go for it, even though I know that I’m undertrained (obviously then without any grand time goals), or sit it out until I really feel I’ve put in the work? I do have a sprint triathlon this Sunday that I will definitely do and an obstacle course race where I will be running a combined 15km in two weeks. Your thoughts could be helpful in making my decision :).

I have the utmost confidence that you could do it; however, my immediate concern would be risking an injury with such a jump in distance. And the misery. The last 6 or so miles is such a mind game even when trained. Do they have a half marathon distance that you can switch to?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Yay, well done @Laurz9191 Still warm here, but not very humid. Thus could be worse.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    "Laurz9191 wrote:
    ;c-476372
    I want to ask for everyone’s opinion on something. I signed up in the spring for a marathon when I optimistically thought I wouldn’t get sick/injured/busy with kids/work/summer holidays and could train a bunch to be well prepared for the race. Well now I’m a little less than 4 weeks out and haven’t even got a 10 miler in in months. The race wasn’t that expensive to sign up for, so I wouldn’t cry over it if I didn’t run it. Do you think I should still go for it, even though I know that I’m undertrained (obviously then without any grand time goals), or sit it out until I really feel I’ve put in the work? I do have a sprint triathlon this Sunday that I will definitely do and an obstacle course race where I will be running a combined 15km in two weeks. Your thoughts could be helpful in making my decision :).

@Laurz9191 hmmm 🤔. Doable. I had a 5week turnaround from deciding to do it and then running it!

see if you can do 17-20 this weekend.
    If yes - that can be your last big run and you can taper for the next 3 weeks.
    If no - best postpone.

• tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Oh sorry... Re read... You have a sprint triathlon this weekend
    Starting to lean No.
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 373 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @tarun_yadava I could do 17-20 on Monday. I can’t do long runs on weekends because of the kids, but have a very flexible work schedule. Still leaning no? It’s a 2 loop course, but the second loop finishes in the stadium (first bypasses). Maybe send them an email first to see if I can switch to the half? That would be an easy solution.
  • tarun_yadavA
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »
    @tarun_yadava I could do 17-20 on Monday. I can’t do long runs on weekends because of the kids, but have a very flexible work schedule. Still leaning no? It’s a 2 loop course, but the second loop finishes in the stadium (first bypasses). Maybe send them an email first to see if I can switch to the half? That would be an easy solution.

@Laurz9191 in that case...

If you can do 17-20 on Monday, and then you got 3 weeks after to race day... Yeah you could do it!

Also- Just had a scroll through your Strava... You did a sub-2 Half a few months ago... Provided there's no injuries or niggles.... You got this!!💪

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Laurz9191 my immediate thought about doing a marathon less than 4 weeks away and not having done more than 10 miles this training cycle is... please no! I have no doubt you could do it if your life depended on it, but I'm guessing it doesn't. It's not worth the injury / health risk in my opinion.

This was my thought too. Also, is it worth the misery? It wouldn't be for me. If there is the option to go to a HM, that seems like a good compromise. Do your race but knock the risk of injury and misery down a notch.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    @shanaber hurricane and an earthquake in the same day! Glad y'all are ok.
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Morning everyone! 😊
    Got in a 10K (09"22).

Going for a streak here... So easing up on pace (and distance too - today not counting lol). Not quite @Alphahowls , no... But seeing how far I can go. Ran last 5 days of July, and so far done all 22 in August. Think the most I've ever done before is 40.

Anyways... @Laurz9191 , while @polskagirl01 is right - I did get a bit fortunate... I totally think you can do this!
    Run the 17-20M on Monday; carb load Monday night (pizza? lol)... take Tuesday off... See how you feel Wednesday after a recovery run and then make the judgement call then! You would have enough time to follow a taper plan should you choose to go through with it!

I've seen your progress on Strava over the last few months... You're progressively doing more and you're doing it quicker too. Not too mention the sub-2 Half... You totally got this!! 💪

Playing the highlights reel back on mine (God feels so long ago now!)... I remember running 20M at the beginning of December with my marathon buddy in under 3hrs at 08"55 ish pace. He was the one that was all, 'you can totally do this'. Didn't think much on it. Proceeded to enjoy Christmas... Drinks 🍺... Eating cr-p... the works. Only in Jan, I said right - I'm doing it. And I think the turnaround was 5 weeks.
    Then I remembered I was really sick too at the start of January. Covid? Never tested for it... But Covid like symptoms... And I remember after a day or so of fever, I just had this mucus that wouldn't go for like a week. So really I'm gonna say it was probably a shade under 4 weeks too.

Then I did my 'big run' (which... Ended up being 26.2 distance... and you all said I was stupid for doing it lol), and then tapered for 3 weeks.

Not a plan for everyone to follow, I accept... But totally doable.

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Aug 2 – 4.77 miles
    Aug 4 – 3.28 miles
    Aug 5 – 4.34 miles
    Aug 6 – 8.02 miles
    Aug 8 – 4.01 miles
    Aug 9 - 4.26 miles
    Aug 14 – 4.01 miles
    Aug 15 – 5.13 miles
    Aug 16 – 5.02 miles
    Aug 17 – 4.70 miles
    Aug 20 – 5.45 miles
    Aug 22 – 5.21 miles
    Total – 58.20 miles

A bit warmer this morning with the temp at 71F instead of the low 60s of last week.