What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• spacetreemonkey
    spacetreemonkey Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    dml16egspnwo.jpg
    01vfuysq08y9.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I just finished this delicious dish of Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips With Fried Chickpeas and Avocado from a recipe by Hetty Lui McKinnon. (I reduced the amount of chickpeas to stay low-carb.)
    eymeaul8cc3w.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Sorry guys, some dishes just aren't attractive no matter how hard I try to get a flattering photo :D Last week's bean dish: pork belly & beans (my own recipe) made with Rancho Gordo Vaquero Beans which are probably my favorite bean ever... the pot liquor is to die for. Served over kale ribbons sautéed in olive oil. I had a serving of this every day for a week, and would be happy to keep going except I've finished the whole thing :D
    sz2cmaeb2f6x.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Coconut Fish and Tomato Bake by Yewanda Komolafe, probably my second favorite food author after Melissa Clark. Salmon delicately cooked in a flavorful blend of coconut milk, ginger, garlic, turmeric, lime, cilantro, olive oil, and Aleppo pepper (substituted for red pepper flakes, which I don't like). I left out the honey. Sorry I didn't get a photo of it plated but you can see a picture on the recipe page. I made extra so I had leftovers, which reheated very nicely.
    6vijz9wr1lde.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    @takinitalloff - Yes, Hetty Lui McKinnon has some great and simple recipes!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti with pesto and salad with roast paprika and feta.
    pgnb0y0js3yt.jpeg

• takinitalloff
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Spicy Turkey Stir-Fry with Crisp Garlic and Ginger by Melissa Clark. I adapt most recipes according to my nutritional goals and taste; here I halved the fish sauce to reduce sodium, and served it over romaine lettuce instead of rice. As it turns out, this dish really needs the rice as a warm and mellow background, allowing those bright, salty, spicy notes to shine without overwhelming the palate. I think it would have been great as written; with the lettuce it was just ok. Oh well! Not all experiments are successes.
    btapon3bbjds.jpg
    @100_Rabbits Your salad looks great. Such a wealth of flavors and textures.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian Spiced Black Lentils with Saffron Spiked Skyr, Sweetheart Cabbage and Tomatoes. With a couple of Buckwheat Crepes.

o8l6ef94i3oa.jpeg
  • tigrig
    tigrig Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Land, Sea, and Air-ishdqx9r8tw7mc5.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @tigrig YUM!!!
  • takinitalloff
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Three-Cup Chicken. I halved the soy sauce, used Korean pepper flakes, omitted the sugar, and used 50/50 dry sherry & Madeira instead of the rice wine, because I couldn't find any in the stores I went to. (I didn't have enough sherry left at home, which is where the Madeira came in :D -- sometimes ya gotta make do with what you have.)

This was quite tasty even with all the changes I made. I especially love the tender, mild garlic cloves. Not usually a fan of whole garlic cloves in a dish, but this worked out great.

I always try to reduce sodium, both for health reasons and also because I find many recipes way too salty now that my palate has adapted. However I do think that this dish wants more soy sauce, so once I scare up some rice wine, I will try it again as written. I also want to use Thai Basil next time instead of Italian. It was quite the international dish this time around: Portuguese Madeira, Japanese soy sauce, Korean pepper flakes, Italian Basil, Spanish sherry :D
    r5q0pthmviad.jpg
    6rydl9lxraxk.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Random snack: smoked trout, green bell pepper, mayo. So tasty.
    17dq48jgbkex.jpg
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    @tigrig looks so good!

@takinitalloff very creative substitutions, looks & sounds delicious.
  • MacLowCarbing
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner.
    - 3 egg omelet w/bacon cheddar & roasted peppers
    - 2 seasoned sausage patties
    - Slice of homemade almond butter bread (flourless, 2 net carbs per slice) with 1 tsp butter
    - followed up by a nice up of coffee w/heavy cream

ej0a69am8iyk.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @MacLowCarbing Thanks :) Are you willing to share your bread recipe? I haven't bothered making any bread substitute because there are plenty of other things for me to eat, but almond butter bread sounds interesting.
  • MacLowCarbing
    Options
    @MacLowCarbing Thanks :) Are you willing to share your bread recipe? I haven't bothered making any bread substitute because there are plenty of other things for me to eat, but almond butter bread sounds interesting.

Sure, I got it from a youtuber. I don't remember who but I can't take credit. It's super easy & fast.

Mix in a bowl till incorporated:
    - 6 eggs (or you can do 9 whites to cut some fat)
    - 1 c. nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, etc.-- I go for no sugar added/natural)
    - 1 tbsp backing powder
    - 1/2 tsp salt

Extras if desired, but not required:
    - 1 tbsp sweetener (swerve brown sugar substitute is tasty in this but sweeteners aren't even necessary)
    - extract of your choice (vanilla, banana, rum, orange... be creative)
    - seeds (I like to sprinkle the top of my loaf with sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning)
    - herbs/spices

Preheat oven to 350, and line a loaf pan with parchment or grease it. After mixing up the ingredients just pour it in the pan, bake for 30-35 minutes.

If you cover it with foil for all but the last 5-10 minutes, it'll rise with a smoother top when it cooks. Personally, doesn't bother me that the top is a bit uneven so I never cover it and it comes out fine.

After taking it out of the oven put the loaf on a rack to cool, don't cut it till it's cooled down.

I have a 9 inch loaf pan and I can get 14 slices from a loaf. My calculations are 85 cal per slice, 7 g fat, 3 g carbs (2 net carbs), 1 g. fiber, 5 g. protein-- but it might depend on what kind of nut butter or any extras you use, how thick/thin you cut it, etc.

You can use them plain in sandwiches or on the side, make toast, French toast, I love making grilled cheese with it. Imma try bread pudding with it for Thanksgiving instead of stuffing this year.

• takinitalloff
    Options
    @MacLowCarbing Thanks! I appreciate the time you took to write this out.