WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,418 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The red lumps and bumps on my cheekbones seem to be easing a bit. That's a step in the right direction.

I hope the worst bit down the right side of my neck would start improving.

It's so itchy and sore at the same time, but I know that scratching would be a very bad idea.

M in Oz

I've developed very itchy lumps and bumps on the backs of my hands now too. Yay!

M in Oz

Machka - I know your Sunday is nearly over, so I hope you can get in to see a doctor on Monday. It's frustrating when an allergic reaction continues, even when the allergen is gone.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,418 Member
    Options
    Shuleran wrote: »
    Good morning all. I'm so excited. I have stuck to this diet for one month. That's a win for me!! It was more than ten years ago when I found MFP and I lost 60 pounds. I gained it all back and then some but I'm determined to do it again. I'm not healthy and need to do this for me. The motivation groups helped me so much to stay the course last time. Thank you ladies for this group!!!!

Welcome! So pleased that you're doing well, and hope that you see the motivation you're looking for with this group. Lots of support here, and any advice you might request, there's probably someone who's dealing with it. Let us know what you'd like to be called and about where you're from, so we can get to know you better, and drop into any conversation that interests you.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,728 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Rita - how neat you had a front row seat for the eclipse and good viewing weather. I recall when my area had a total (or darn near total) eclipse several years ago. I was in town doing Master Gardener stuff. The other 2 folks in the office and I went out on the sidewalk as it started to get dark - the streetlights came on and the birds stopped chirping for an hour or so. I think I will always remember it. I can see why the ancients thought it was an amazing thing.... it is!

I'm making an effort to put some of Dr. Matt's suggestions into play. Doing a few things, adding more as time goes on, stacking -stacking-stacking healthful practices. Get a few small things down. I already do many of them. Just me thinking out loud here:
    *Drink a glass or two of water when I first get up, before coffee. I've known to do that for years, just never implemented it consistently since the "experts" said mix lemon juice in it. What a hassle if I didn't have lemons or lemon juice on hand. A glass of water from the tap takes 2 seconds. Simple. It didn't have to be complicated.

*Wait at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. I generally do that anyhow.

*Eating the protein and fiber first before carbs, and getting at least a teaspoon of vinegar in before or at the start of a meal. Adding a bit of protein to my salad - cheese for example, or some toasted almonds. I already have vinegar in my salad dressing - I make my own with basalmic vinegar, a dash of lemon juice and olive oil plus a spoonful of dijon mustard for emulsifier and some spices.

*Getting up and moving after eating. Walking, heading out to the chicken coop. Yesterday after supper I got up and threw Rosie's toys for about five minutes. She loves it and it involves me walking, bending over, throwing them down the hall or across the living room. It's simple.

Reminder - anyone who wants information included in the "weekly check-in" please send me your info today or no later than tomorrow morning. :)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State waiting for the sky to lighten up so I can let the hens out of the coop and feed the shop kitty.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies.

Rosemarie, I hope you don't let your brother guilt you into becoming your mother's caregiver. There are always alternatives to provide her with the care she needs and at 92, I really would question such a drastic move at her age. Went through a similar situation when my sister thought my ageing father should be "on the farm" and in my care. I simply said no and we found an alternative. My sister was annoyed with me for awhile.

Machka sorry to hear of your allergic reaction. I get hives every year in the fall and I'm sure it is from all the dust in the air from combining. I take antihistamines and use cream but it usually takes about 3 weeks to go away.

Joy
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate being able to see the ‘Ring of Fire’ during the annular eclipse.
    Meditation: daily. 13/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 13/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 60 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 10/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 42/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    Mackhka I put Witch Hazel on the rash I had. A very sensitive area but the witch hazel stopped the itch. I just re-applied it when the itch/burn started up again. Perhaps it would help you?

RVRita
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,728 Member
    Options
    Lee- such a card isn't he lol
    Lisa- will have to look into what you posted about the chair yoga and others maybe that will help ease me into it