WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2024

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,165 Member
    stopped at Walmart to pick up a roasted chicken for the stray cats. They had a ton of them marked half price- $2 each!!! We grabbed 10(there were still more left)- boning them out and will freeze in quart size bags. Plenty for the cats and for me to use in meals for us.

Almost time for aqua- looking forward to it as it is still 90 degrees. Will be at 13,500 steps before I even get in the pool- I will get there early to do a few laps before class starts then enjoy a few more after, unless they tell us to get out. Last two times I was the last one in the pool.

Tomorrow I have a merchandising job to do at Kohl's- setting up an umbrella display. Dh is helping so it shouldn't take too long- He has set these up many times at his store over the years. Pay is $50 and should only take an hour or so-

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,919 Member
    Kay - I have the same problem with my dark clothes. I’ve tried everything and don’t know how to get rid of it.

Heather - I hope your arm heals fast.

Allie - What a beautiful photo.
    Hugs what a difficult thing to do.

Lisa - your description of what you don’t want in a slipper reminds me of my favourite pair ever. My grandfather bought them for me, they were the Peter Pan boot style so popular in the 80’s, but they snapped up the side so you can have them up over the ankles or down around the ankles. They were made of cotton of some kind and had a thin rubber tread. I loved those slippers I think I even had them after I was married for a bit.

It isn’t even 9pm and I could go to bed. I’m not, I know that would have me awake way too early tomorrow.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,996 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,618 Member
    edited September 28
    Aches and pains slightly improved today with the blue skies reappearing. :D I'm encouraging John to go to the local cricket ground, but I don't know if he will. I have a couple of Spanish films recorded that I want to watch in peace. :p They haven't been able to play cricket for the first two days of a four day game.
    I read for 90 mins in the night, but did go back to sleep eventually. It was a chilly night, with the clear skies. It's been horribly rainy, and a lot of the country has had floods. OK here. I know it's been awful in some parts of the US.

The NHS invited both of us for flu and covid jabs. My appointment is in just over a week. In a local pharmacy that I can walk to! I know I will feel c..p for a day after, but it's worth it. John's covid in June was like a cold, and I didn't catch it at all. Amazing! My friend G blames her auto immune illness on it, but I don't know. I think it was severe stress from a family breakup. So, I'm going for it/them.

Egg sandwiches for lunch and the pasta bake tonight. I will use wholegrain spelt pasta.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Yeah! He's going to the cricket! I've made and packed an egg sandwich for him. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,597 Member
    Barbara - my local Walmart website shows organic oranges $5.97 for a 3# bag. No idea if they are in good shape. ;) I'll take a peek next time I'm in the store.

Debbie - wow that's a good deal on rotisserie chicken. I see they are $5.97 hot and $3.97 chilled at my Walmart, which isn't too bad. It's great you are able to get a lot of swimming in and it's cooled down enough to enjoy your walks in the wetlands.

Heather - glad to hear Johnny is off to cricket and you get some "Heather time" to watch your films.

Lisa - LOVE your craft room. It has to be very satisfying and peaceful to walk in there and not be distracted by disorganization. ;) I'm speaking from experience here. I get a little sense of that when the house is all picked up and counters cleared in preparation for Collette to do her thing. Enjoy the washer shopping, it will be great to have something reliable.

Allie - adorable baby photo! You are such a good grandmother to take care of Selina's arrangements. <3

Barbie - very glad Jake was able to find transport for his angiogram. Rural communities need to prioritize medical transport in addition to bus service. Jake can't be the only person running into this problem. My county theoretically has this kind of transport for doctor's appointments in far away cities or even shopping. Some day when I'm totally bored I should book a ride and see how well it works.

I decided to get myself a new 8" skillet, which means a skillet declutter coming up. :p Years ago I bought a set of Green+life non-stick (I believe they must be ceramic?) that are now showing teensy chips and aren't as non-stick as they once were. I'm also thinking about donating my large cast iron skillet. So heavy and needs to be re-seasoned. I used it a lot to make fried potatoes when DH was here and we both had hearty appetites. Now it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

Hope everyone in Hurricane Helene's path is doing OK.

Make it a super weekend, ladies. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited September 28
    Poor John got to the cricket ground and the outfield was too wet to play. :# They said they would start after an early lunch, and I can see they have just started. I think John went for a wander, as it's still a lovely day.
    I had my favourite steel cut oats with salt and butter. And a rind of Parmesan. :p Prepped the pasta and spinach. Washed the hall floor around the front door (filthy) and hoovered the rug. Then I watched my Almodovar, and realised I had seen it before. Still liked it though. I feel so at home in his world. I have another one recorded to watch another time.
    Yes, Lisa, what a joy it is to spend time exactly as I like it. Funny food and all. :p I can't do things downstairs because he's writing every morning. In the dining room. Grrrr! He's just finished the first draft of his 8th book. I admire his persistence, but it limits my time to potter.

Allie - You are doing brilliantly. <3 We had our baby's ashes buried in the cemetery and her name and a message in the Book of Remembrance.

It looks as if my brother will not have to have chemo after all. He has finished his 6 weeks radiotherapy and should be feeling a bit better in a few weeks. I expect he will be over the moon to get rid of the feeding tube. That first beer will taste good!

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Good morning beautiful ladies!

Heather sounds like your brother is doing better! Excellent!

Lanette Yay for the return of your sense of smell!

Rita that's scary about the new NP. What a mess in the records! But Yay for your walking!

Barbie how frustrating to have the driver plans fall apart. Glad you made them work out.

Beth so glad your mom is doing better!

Allie hugs and condolences.

Barbara thanks! You are right. One of my caregiver friends said her helper was selling her Mom's drugs out of her house! Could be so much worse. I have a helper that I really trust.

Lisa I need to do some yoga too. I'm getting creaky! Hope the new washer is better.

I got lost on the Internet this morning and missed my walk! Oh well there's a chance of rain anyway

Have a great day ladies! May you all be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,208 Member
    Lanette I inherited my cast iron skillet with a cover from my mom. I use it to cook steak in it and spaghetti sauce like my mom did minus the added sugar. For everyday I use a Delarlo stainless steel I bought to replace my Faberware. I use the smaller size at least once a day. I bought a smaller and larger size. I have to use coconut oil to keep foods from sticking. Both small and large have glass covers. Love both of them.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,090 Member
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,597 Member
    Margaret - I have my grandmother's Griswold #3 cast iron "egg" skillet. It has a 5 inch base and holds one egg perfectly. I think she gave it to us when we were married so I've had it nearly 50 years, and she probably got it in the 40's. I bet she didn't want it anymore because Teflon was the rage, lol. I love that I never have to wash it, just wipe it out. Your mom's cast iron skillet sounds like a real a treasure. <3

Barbie - I'm sure you're right. Someone who drives others places on a regular basis knows how to curtail controversial conversations, especially when the passenger can already be stressed about the upcoming appointment. There are a lot of fun and interesting neutral topics to chat about - dogs, cats, container gardening and Sasquatch to name a few. :p

I also have a Medicare supplement and I'll be curious to see what the rates look like next year. I see WA state finally has high-deductible plans. I switched from F to G to N over the years keep costs down and so far with the few co-pays in the N plan, I'm still way ahead.

Michele - I just saw an announcement that western North Carolina is a mess, a dam is threatening to burst, and Ashville is having major flooding problems. :# How are things at your house? Has Jess been impacted? Crossing fingers that you and your property are all OK.

Heather - having to navigate around someone else being in the house who didn't want to be interrupted is the main reason I can never see myself getting married again. Living with someone else is hard work and not sure if I'd have the energy or temperament for it at my age.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,007 Member
    Morning all
    Just watching all the devistation of hurricane Helene,it is just horrible..
    But ,I pray for all the people in its path..
    I got alot of sleep last night..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,219 Member
    Today is Ask a dumb question day: How do you make the number 1 disappear? (Answer at bottom)

ff400viazan7.jpeg
    jmmfbdhap35s.jpeg
    nky09l702457.jpeg
    uwsbnn9vnurk.jpeg
    8l1drwtbqm3y.jpeg
    5afj8vl7ezqk.jpeg

(Answer) You add a G to make it GONE!

RVRita in Roswell
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,165 Member
    Barbara - my local Walmart website shows organic oranges $5.97 for a 3# bag. No idea if they are in good shape. ;) I'll take a peek next time I'm in the store.

Debbie - wow that's a good deal on rotisserie chicken. I see they are $5.97 hot and $3.97 chilled at my Walmart, which isn't too bad. It's great you are able to get a lot of swimming in and it's cooled down enough to enjoy your walks in the wetlands.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

check the chickens when you are there- the one here often marks them down, not usually $2 but most of the time $3 which is a great price for a already cooked chicken and they are a nice size and taste great.

I made just over a quart of really reduced broth- drank the extra that wouldn't fit in the quart. It was nice to have after getting back from swimming.

I will do the rest of the chicken today when we get back home.

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,533 Member
    :smile: