Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk. I have noticed that when I have a lot of milk and/or eggs I drop weight a little more easily.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.

I'm not sure why milk is getting such a bad rep in this thread. I buy a gallon of skim milk weekly.....I highly doubt a 90 calorie, 0 fat glass of milk is going to make me a 400 lb creature. I'll blame the pizza, sweets, and lack of exercise for that.

To the OP, yes I love milk and will never give it up. I am not sure why anyone would feel they need to as long as they like it. I find it strange how many people here are dissing milk and making it sound terrible, yet how many people still drink pop, sugary juices and alcohol on a somewhat regular basis?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% fairly often and use it in cereal. The article said it's an adaptation found among dairy farmers and a few tribes that herd cattle. So good for me, I'm a mutant.

As for the animal rights activists, you bewilder me. What makes you think enough people will care enough about cows to change things when people are starving to death every day? If not enough care about starving children, there sure aren't going to be enough to care about baby cows. You can't change how people feel about animals until you change how they feel about each other. And good luck with that.

But we CAN change our own behavior. I'm a vegetarian and I do care about cows. But I'm not pushy about it. I figure the best I can do is change myself and if others ask my advice, advise them. But I don't shove it down anyone's throats (pun intended).
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    In response to bcattoes
    Its not just milk, most of our nutrition from meat, and especially veggies and fruits has decreased dramatically over the last 50 years! If you want to talk/share/ learn more friend me. I would like to learn what you have to share.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat (chronic high blood sugars and excessive insulin production which in turn create constant hunger and cellular starvation at the same time is what makes you fat) and you can get vitamin D from the sun and calcium from dark leafy greens. It actually has very little protein. I can have a couple of eggs and surpass the amount of protein in 8oz. of milk. It has as much sugar as a typical serving of sugary cereal (double whammy for the kids!). It's not a fat-burner.

You forgot to point out that there IS fat in 1% milk. What do you think "1%" means?
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I can't drink tea without milk, and my go to treat is sugar free, fat free pudding made with skim milk; I'm see no reason to give that up since I haven't any medical issues with consuming dairy.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Yes. Organic whole milk, occasionally 2%.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I drink milk every day. Great source of calcium and protein.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    skim
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    I just switched to organic milk 2%. 6 oz every morning. yummy!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% fairly often and use it in cereal. The article said it's an adaptation found among dairy farmers and a few tribes that herd cattle. So good for me, I'm a mutant.

As for the animal rights activists, you bewilder me. What makes you think enough people will care enough about cows to change things when people are starving to death every day? If not enough care about starving children, there sure aren't going to be enough to care about baby cows. You can't change how people feel about animals until you change how they feel about each other. And good luck with that.

But we CAN change our own behavior. I'm a vegetarian and I do care about cows. But I'm not pushy about it. I figure the best I can do is change myself and if others ask my advice, advise them. But I don't shove it down anyone's throats (pun intended).

Fair enough.
  • thejam0
    thejam0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love milk, but I switched to almond milk because it has less calories. Nothing can beat Strauss whole milk, though! That in some nature's path love crunch granola is the BEST treat.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    In response to bcattoes
    Its not just milk, most of our nutrition from meat, and especially veggies and fruits has decreased dramatically over the last 50 years! If you want to talk/share/ learn more friend me. I would like to learn what you have to share.

Speaking of food intolerance, fruit and veggies in large quantities tend to really screw with my digestive system. I drank grape juice most of the day yesterday, and I'll spare everyone the details of what it did to me, but it wasn't pretty.

I find a diet full of raw veggies makes me queasy (probably one reason I was skinny most of the years I was vegetarian).

I tried going back to being a vegetarian, and I got incredibly sick and lethargic within a matter of days.

Could it be that different people do well on different types of foods? Could it be I'm a natural born milk drinking carnivore?
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    No milk for me...I don't think it's good for humans at all. Personally, my body completely rejects it (cow's milk.) I think the advertizments that say milk is so good for us is just that...propoganda. Very little calcium is actually absorbed by us, from cow's milk. When I think that it's the lactation of another animal that we are drinking...this also grosses me out! As well, I am not so sure the milk industry treats the cows humanely, which I want no part of either. To each their own tho, this is just me and my opinion!
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?

^This. ???
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I do it is 4 ounces of 1%. Thats just enough to dip a serving size of Oreos in. :)

I do 6 ounces of 1% for dipping 2 low cal cookies. Not every day but probably 3 times a week. Otherwise, I just drink water. Or wine! :drinker:

so I can dip the cookies in the wine?!?!?! GENIUS!!!

I didn't think of that!! Might have to give it a try some day! lol
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows.

does that make me an almond? :laugh:

I'm not a big fan of milk - when I went vegan and gave up dairy I found I never had a taste for it again.
    I love unsweetened almond milk now, fantastic replacement for milk.

Hahahaha! Thanks for the laugh.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would just like to respond to the person who pointed out the high rates of osteoporosis in the American population, even though we consume massive amounts of dairy.

Do you know why this is? Because people are getting their calcium in products that have little to no fat. This is because Vitamin-D, which aids in the uptake of calcium, is a fat soluble vitamin.

So we are taking in gobs and gobs of calcium and vitamin D, but this "fat in foods is bad" mantra has made our actual absorption TANK, because every dairy product out there is low-fat or non-fat.
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've always been one of those people that can't stand the smell and taste of milk. There's a great story about me puking all over the lunch table at the day care center when they made me drink milk. Besides the smell and taste, there's something about drinking another animal's mucus that freaks me out.

I started drinking rice milk in college and have switched to soy milk. It took a long time for me to get accustomed to the taste as well as the texture (it mimics milk) but now I'm pretty used to it.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I would just like to respond to the person who pointed out the high rates of osteoporosis in the American population, even though we consume massive amounts of dairy.

Do you know why this is? Because people are getting their calcium in products that have little to no fat. This is because Vitamin-D, which aids in the uptake of calcium, is a fat soluble vitamin.

So we are taking in gobs and gobs of calcium and vitamin D, but this "fat in foods is bad" mantra has made our actual absorption TANK, because every dairy product out there is low-fat or non-fat.

Well I hope 2% has enough fat in it to absorb the calcium then, or I'm wasting time unless I'm drinking the milk with something that also has fat in it. I assume that would work?