Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I used to, but haven't since I didn't want to add the calories. I should have replaced the calcium I lost, though! I completely forgot about that part.

I drink water 90% of the time.

My BF drinks milk every day. He still manages to lose weight and seems quite healthy.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    We are only the top of the food chain because we use guns/machines to kill animals to fight our way to the top. If you put a human in a cage with a lion/bear/etc with no weapons then you will see who is really the top of the food chain.
    We are at the top of the food chain because of our superior intellect, which has invented weapons allowing us to kill larger animals and eat them.
    All species should be equal. A cow should NOT have to live its whole life trapped it a horrible factory getting forcibly impregnated so you can drink nasty milk.
    If all species should be equal, should any animal be allowed to eat another then? C'mon... It's survival of the fittest (or smartest). It's the law of the jungle, alive and well in the jungle and out of the jungle.

WOW okay well I have nothing else to say to you because you are beyond help. Okay so its okay to rape a animal (Forcibly impregnating something sounds like rape to me!) so you can drink milk meant for its child??? Some animals eat each other because some animals are carnivores, (Humans are NOT & don't need to be, plenty of protein/nutrients in veggies etc) they chase down the animal and kill it with their teeth/claws eat it raw thats nature, not going through a drive thru or buying a pounds of gross ground beef then cooking and seasoning it etc thats not nature. We are not cave people we don't hunt for our food, the animals don't have a fighting chance like in the wild, they are confined to filthy nasty factory's were they live out their short sad life's, then are inhumanely slaughtered. I really feel bad for people who have no sense of right or wrong or compassion for animals. You are no better then any animal they deserve to be happy and live free. They don't owe you anything they shouldn't have to suffer because people are awful. Ugh But I don't even know why I say anything because most people are to mean to care so whatever. Keep killing animals and torturing them because you have no conscience.

This post will probably get deleted, but here is my take on animal activists in general: If you live in a first world capitalist society, you're a murderer. You support military forces and economic policies that steal the bread from children's mouths all over the world, just so you can have a high standard of living. You support sweat shops and dictators and oil wars every day of your life. You're a murderer, and so am I. The fate of cattle shouldn't be the first thing on our minds when we're feeling compassionate.

Compared to all that, compared to all the starving people in this world, what's a baby cow in the balance?

Not that I want to get involved in this argument, but as someone who works on a farm as a living (sheep farm-though we don't milk the animals obviously, we do raise and sell them at sale barns-not necessarily for slaughter), I can say I take very good care of my animals. The rams and ewes that are here to stay come up to me and want me to pet them just like my dog does. They have more land to graze on then they know what to do with. When a lamb is born we have them stay in the barn for over a month with heat lamps to make sure they are taken care of. If someone is rough with my animals I do not allow it. We pay twice as much to have the sheep sheared because the guy that comes takes his time and is gentle with the animals. Not every farm is like the ones you see on the activist sites.

I think a family farm (small farm? not sure where you work,) probably treats their animals a lot better then some giant slaughter house does. I still wouldn't eat meat from a family farm because of my own beliefs but I am sure the animals are treated better and killed humanely. I have no problem with a family farm. If people want to eat me they should search out places like where you work. They shouldn't support the big factories that don't care about the animals well being or if they are diseased or full of hormones. I have no argument with you, you seem like you actually have a heart.

so where is this farm if I want to eat you?

Yep. We're on to discussing cannibalism. I knew it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    We are only the top of the food chain because we use guns/machines to kill animals to fight our way to the top. If you put a human in a cage with a lion/bear/etc with no weapons then you will see who is really the top of the food chain.
    We are at the top of the food chain because of our superior intellect, which has invented weapons allowing us to kill larger animals and eat them.
    All species should be equal. A cow should NOT have to live its whole life trapped it a horrible factory getting forcibly impregnated so you can drink nasty milk.
    If all species should be equal, should any animal be allowed to eat another then? C'mon... It's survival of the fittest (or smartest). It's the law of the jungle, alive and well in the jungle and out of the jungle.

WOW okay well I have nothing else to say to you because you are beyond help. Okay so its okay to rape a animal (Forcibly impregnating something sounds like rape to me!) so you can drink milk meant for its child??? Some animals eat each other because some animals are carnivores, (Humans are NOT & don't need to be, plenty of protein/nutrients in veggies etc) they chase down the animal and kill it with their teeth/claws eat it raw thats nature, not going through a drive thru or buying a pounds of gross ground beef then cooking and seasoning it etc thats not nature. We are not cave people we don't hunt for our food, the animals don't have a fighting chance like in the wild, they are confined to filthy nasty factory's were they live out their short sad life's, then are inhumanely slaughtered. I really feel bad for people who have no sense of right or wrong or compassion for animals. You are no better then any animal they deserve to be happy and live free. They don't owe you anything they shouldn't have to suffer because people are awful. Ugh But I don't even know why I say anything because most people are to mean to care so whatever. Keep killing animals and torturing them because you have no conscience.

This post will probably get deleted, but here is my take on animal activists in general: If you live in a first world capitalist society, you're a murderer. You support military forces and economic policies that steal the bread from children's mouths all over the world, just so you can have a high standard of living. You support sweat shops and dictators and oil wars every day of your life. You're a murderer, and so am I. The fate of cattle shouldn't be the first thing on our minds when we're feeling compassionate.

Compared to all that, compared to all the starving people in this world, what's a baby cow in the balance?

Not that I want to get involved in this argument, but as someone who works on a farm as a living (sheep farm-though we don't milk the animals obviously, we do raise and sell them at sale barns-not necessarily for slaughter), I can say I take very good care of my animals. The rams and ewes that are here to stay come up to me and want me to pet them just like my dog does. They have more land to graze on then they know what to do with. When a lamb is born we have them stay in the barn for over a month with heat lamps to make sure they are taken care of. If someone is rough with my animals I do not allow it. We pay twice as much to have the sheep sheared because the guy that comes takes his time and is gentle with the animals. Not every farm is like the ones you see on the activist sites.

I think a family farm (small farm? not sure where you work,) probably treats their animals a lot better then some giant slaughter house does. I still wouldn't eat meat from a family farm because of my own beliefs but I am sure the animals are treated better and killed humanely. I have no problem with a family farm. If people want to eat me they should search out places like where you work. They shouldn't support the big factories that don't care about the animals well being or if they are diseased or full of hormones. I have no argument with you, you seem like you actually have a heart.

hey...she siad "if people want to eat me..." just rollin with her :wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I saw the typo. Great timing on your post, though! :laugh:
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I noticed that too, and was wondering if people would let it slide or not.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with a family farm. If people want to eat me they should search out places like where you work. They shouldn't support the big factories that don't care about the animals well being or if they are diseased or full of hormones. I have no argument with you, you seem like you actually have a heart.
    Plus your kids would end up better off being taught its not okay to kill a animal or torture them for food that you don't need.
    Sorry I love animals. I am disgusted by the use of animals products.
    I really feel bad for people who have no sense of right or wrong or compassion for animals. You are no better then any animal they deserve to be happy and live free. They don't owe you anything they shouldn't have to suffer because people are awful. Ugh But I don't even know why I say anything because most people are to mean to care so whatever. Keep killing animals and torturing them because you have no conscience.

I'm confused. Where do you draw the line? When/how is it okay to kill an animal, or drink it's milk?

In my opinion its never okay to kill a animal or use its milk. Almond milk is far better for you and no animals suffer to produce it. A cow in nature would only make milk for its young when its pregnant, in factories they are forcibly impregnate and have there calves taken away (if they are male they are turned to veal) (female are forced into the same life as a dairy cow/or meat) and they are milked for human consumption. I don't think it is right for humans to take something from a animal that is not meant for them. Its like animal slavery. They don't deserve to live sad painful lives that revolve around humans "needs" to drink milk eat meat whatever. If your family owns a farm, a chicken lays eggs, leaves them to rot, if you ate them I think thats kinda okay. I wouldn't just because I don't want to eat animal products... But thats better then supporting a dairy/egg farm that abuses their animals and kills them.

Bottom line I personally don't believe in using any animals products. ever.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I only drink milk with my cereal i have for breakfast. I try and keep it to skimmed milk and i only have 100ml of it. (yes i measure)
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    Are people really going to try and give me **** over a typo? Sorry. I don't proof read my mfp posts.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Are people really going to try and give me **** over a typo? Sorry. I don't proof read my mfp posts.

I think he was just trying to inject some humor into what has become a very heated discussion.
  • spade74
    Options
    I do, but i drink 1% milk, less fat and cal
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    I drink soy milk. I think it tastes better and I am a vegan too :)

Thank god, for a second I thought I was the only vegan on mfp.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

He was kidding, and he happened to catch the typo a couple of posts after I jokingly said cannibalism would be discussed next in this thread. Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • mom2my5sons
    mom2my5sons Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.

huh?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I think they were exercising a sense of humor.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I noticed that too, and was wondering if people would let it slide or not.

no sliding,,,besides...she looks tasty
  • hollyeverhart
    Options

I think he was just trying to inject some humor into what has become a very heated discussion.

I get that. It was funny. This is just a touchy subject for me. Plus I had a few margarita's at Pf Chang's with lunch so I'm a little riled up today... (they have a awesome vegan/vegetarian menu btw! one of the few place I can eat thats not plain and gross)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I just had a hamburger and a glass milk, hmm can we discuss Bacon now?
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I have no problem with a family farm. If people want to eat me they should search out places like where you work. They shouldn't support the big factories that don't care about the animals well being or if they are diseased or full of hormones. I have no argument with you, you seem like you actually have a heart.
    Plus your kids would end up better off being taught its not okay to kill a animal or torture them for food that you don't need.
    Sorry I love animals. I am disgusted by the use of animals products.
    I really feel bad for people who have no sense of right or wrong or compassion for animals. You are no better then any animal they deserve to be happy and live free. They don't owe you anything they shouldn't have to suffer because people are awful. Ugh But I don't even know why I say anything because most people are to mean to care so whatever. Keep killing animals and torturing them because you have no conscience.

I'm confused. Where do you draw the line? When/how is it okay to kill an animal, or drink it's milk?

In my opinion its never okay to kill a animal or use its milk. Almond milk is far better for you and no animals suffer to produce it. A cow in nature would only make milk for its young when its pregnant, in factories they are forcibly impregnate and have there calves taken away (if they are male they are turned to veal) (female are forced into the same life as a dairy cow/or meat) and they are milked for human consumption. I don't think it is right for humans to take something from a animal that is not meant for them. Its like animal slavery. They don't deserve to live sad painful lives that revolve around humans "needs" to drink milk eat meat whatever. If your family owns a farm, a chicken lays eggs, leaves them to rot, if you ate them I think thats kinda okay. I wouldn't just because I don't want to eat animal products... But thats better then supporting a dairy/egg farm that abuses their animals and kills them.

Bottom line I personally don't believe in using any animals products. ever.

I already know that when I get down closer to goal weight I'm going to try to return to a vegetarian diet and see if it works. It certainly doesn't work now, I was so sick when I tried it recently I could barely get out of bed. And I was still eating dairy, it wasn't even pure vegan. I don't think vegetarianism is good for everybody. We didn't evolve as vegetarians, we're omnivores, and there is even an argument that the reason we're so darn smart is because we hunted. It's also probably why we think we see in 3d, even though we really don't!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk. I think it tastes better and I am a vegan too :)

Thank god, for a second I thought I was the only vegan on mfp.

Wow, vanity much? Maybe the other vegans are a little less obnoxious.

Also, did you really compare the dairy industry to slavery? Do you need a reminder of what REAL slavery looks like, ya know, people, CHILDREN, being abused and whatnot, or are they less important that the precious cows?

My grandparents owned a beef and dairy farm, they worked that farm and the cows were treated well, not everyone mistreats their animals. Don't be an obnoxious vegan, you give the rest a bad name.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

it was with love and a wink my vegan friend...chill a bit