MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    I just want to say good job to everyone on what they are accomplishing! You guys are all awesome:drinker: I got ten miles in today, that is the farthest that I have ever gone! I am so proud of my self. I woke up this morning kind of nervous because the most I have ever run is 8 miles so I tried to get over that mental block and after that it was great! I paced my self and I went more for distance than for time. I am so freaking happy that I did it:happy:
    I did that yesterday and my story about it is exactly the same! I felt the same way! Felt GREAT when we finished it didn't it!!:laugh: 146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    What a weekend for the MFP runner club!

Leash is our superstar. Great job and you should be very pleased with that time. The youtube link is spot-on!. Cowboy up girl! Sorry :sad: :sad: :sad:

Kaylynne – What an amazing day for a run! Hope you had fun and hold tight to the great memories. That was a huge turnout and should have been a blast!

Shuntae killing the 5k with Sonia and Natalie pushing their envelope too. Kechie is inspiring the next generation of runners.

Way too cool! Great job everyone and I am very happy to be a part of this board. Everyone is so inspiring! I did get amonster weekend in too, but most of it was on my bike (sorry, don’t boot me off!). :embarassed: :embarassed:

Keep going forward everyone…. except Leash… you won’t be going anywhere for a few days! :drinker: :drinker: You will have to fill us in with post-mortem details!!!
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Alicia~ Congratulations!! Very impressive!:flowerforyou:

I'm resting today. I've worked out the last 5 days in a row and feel my body needs a break. I'm still feeling the barbell class I took the the other day. Today is grocery shopping, cleaning, and pool time with my kids!:heart:

My goal for this week is to run between 4.5-5 miles...whoohoo!

Lesli
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I did 10.6 on Saturday -- but it was VERY difficult. didn't eat much -- swimming with the kids -- then ran at 6pm. Not a good combo -- felt very queasy. Lesson learned!

Saw Wicked last night -- awesome show -- so only did 5.5 today at an easy 9:45 pace. Still tired -- but ran to the soundtrack -- very inspiring :happy:

Congrats to everyone for their weekend work. just got caught up reading all the posts and WOW -- what a weekend! Can't wait to post that I finally finished a 1/2 or better yet maybe someday a full marathon!

Hope you all have a happy Monday!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Today is a rest day for me.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Got my xray's done today. I should hopefully know something by this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Obviously no running. I did got to bootcamp but was very limited in what I could do and very disappointed that I could not participate more. I think I may have to take some time off. :sad:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Phase 1 = Newbie going from couch to jogging
    Phase 2 = "WOW, I am a runner" phase where you try to continually go farther
    Phase 3 = Race ready, finding races to stretch yourself
    Phase 4 = Hardware collection, trying to be that age group contender
    Phase 5 = Forrest Gump, I just love to run (where I am now!)

Good morning everyone!

Wow, what a weekend for our club!!! Good job on their runs this weekend, everyone!! At this point, I can only dream of doing some of the things you guys are doing (wow, a marathon - you go Leash!).

Sorry I was MIA this weekend.....was a good weekend with the kids. I did manage to get some running in. I did a little over 3-1/2 miles yesterday (and 5 miles on Friday - though not all at once) so I feel pretty good about it. I added a little distance this week, but really worked on speed. No running for me today...it's a strength training day.

Rainman,
    I consider myself to be at the beginning of stage 2 - lol, I just realized that I can run. I average about 3 miles on a run (more or less, I don't have exact distances...just from point a to point b that I measure with my car) - I run W, F and Sun though I think Im going to add an extra day in there - I was working on a modified couch to 5k program so I assumed that we could only run 3 days a week. I do strength training on Tues (or Mondays), Thurs, and Sat - with Mon or Tue being a rest day.

I've been trying to add distance and speed - I run a lot of hills (I live in the mountains) and I try to sprint at the turning point in my run and at the very end. Sometimes I work on running faster with a shorter distance.

I'm not sure what my goal is at this point since it seems to be evolving as I get better and better. In the beginning I wanted to do a 5k - which is still my goal and is very feasible at this point, but I think eventually I can go further than that. Lol, I think I'm like everyone else - I want to run far and fast :laugh: though I think distance and endurance is what I should be developing first. I don't know for sure....

What do you think? Am I on the right path? What training schedule do you recommend? I'm such a newbie at running. When I first started I thought you just put on your shoes and went. I've been walking/jogging for years so my body was already conditioned to move that way. The running just started working some different muscles so it was easy for me to pick it up (well, the extra weight I picked up during pregnancy put a damper on things lol).

Thanks in advance for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Liza

PS - Sherry, keep us posted!!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Spicy Tuna Salad

1 can albacore tuna
    3 tbsp mayonaise
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp dijon mustard
    1 tbsp dill pickle relish
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1 diced celery stalk
    1/4 cup crushed wasabi peas
    1 hardboiled egg

If you don't like spicy substitute crushed almonds for the wasabi peas.:wink:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Sherry, sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

Battling a migraine so I had to bail on the morning run. Going to hope it gets better and head to the Y tonight for cycle and kettlebell. Should be able to manage non-impact by then. I don't have time for a migraine!!! Argh!!!

I hope everyone else is having a great day!

Summer is here in SC! 90 tomorrow! woohoo!!! :happy:

Becky
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thinking about you, Sherry! Update us when you can!

Leash - Awesome job, girl. You truly are an inspiration. Just amazing!!!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Liza.... an answer to your training question:

This seems good to me and is great to have a gradual transition from walker to runner. You already have hills and some intervals mixed in, so that is PERFECT! You may try to pick 1 run per week and add some distance (even if a run/walk) try to stretch yourself. I think it will do great things for motivation and confidence too.

Regarding strength training, if upper body do it whenever. If lower body (squat/lunge, etc…) try to give a couple days rest afterward and keep it light. Intermixing heavy leg lifts can be tough on knee’s and joints. If you do them, do high reps/low weight.

Get a goal or race in your horizon too, I think others can comment on how great it is to give your running a purpose. (maybe you already have one?).

Happy Trails,
    Raymond
  • krystengm
    krystengm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Thanks to MFP and a good mix of exercise and an adjustment in medication, I've gone from 160-145. I still think I need to lose another 10 lbs, but the scale hasn't budged in about a month.

However, I am also a runner and need to get my 5k speeds up and add to my distance. My goal is to run a half marathon this fall; I have a 10k in two weeks.

I typically work out 5 times a week; run a couple of times, bike a couple of times to minmize the impact on my feet. I'll need to ramp up my running.

Any tips on how to eat to lose weight, yet eat enough to run well?

I should mention I am 5'5 and am a 34-yr-old female.

_krysten
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I woke up early this morning and got my run in (about 2 miles) since I didnt have the kids. I totally at a new phase where I am just running. Im not worried about breathing or if I can make it etc. Its great!!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    HAPPY JUNE EVERYONE! :flowerforyou:

I ran 10.5 miles yesterday -- so no running for me today (I went swimming instead)

Thinking of you Sherry, hope everything turns out okay..
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Got the results of the xrays. They are negative for a stress fracture. Now before you go jumping for joy for me (because I can't jump right now :happy: ) that doesn't really mean anything. My doctor said that sometimes stress fractures would NOT show up but you know how HMO's are. I have to do the simple tests to have the big tests done. My next step is a bone scan so I will call my PC doctor and have him write me a script for the bone scan and hopefully get that done by the end of the week.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Sherry, glad to hear that there isn't an obvious fracture sight, but will hold off on popping the champagne for a day or so! Have you been given instructions on what not to do or what is okay until you get final results? Are you able to do non-impact? Is the pain improving at all? Keep us posted!
    Cautiously optimistic! :ohwell:

Becky
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    That's bummers Sherry!

Rest and ice/motrin for me again today. Hopefully it will help my knee, and can maybe run tomorrow????
    I see an othapedic doc Wed. for my knee. The sooner, the quicker I can get back at it!!!
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Sherry, glad to hear that there isn't an obvious fracture sight, but will hold off on popping the champagne for a day or so! Have you been given instructions on what not to do or what is okay until you get final results? Are you able to do non-impact? Is the pain improving at all? Keep us posted!
    Cautiously optimistic! :ohwell:

Becky

I can do non impact exercising like swimming, riding a bike and yoga. I can also do weight training in the mean time. The pain is not as intense but my leg really starts to hurt at the end of the day if I use it too much.

Sonia, you and I can start the gimp club. :smokin:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    I ran 5 miles w/ strength training (legs and abs) today. I feel pretty good after rest day yesterday except for some guilt for going over my calories yesterday by 800! :laugh:

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Hi there!
    Thanks to MFP and a good mix of exercise and an adjustment in medication, I've gone from 160-145. I still think I need to lose another 10 lbs, but the scale hasn't budged in about a month.

However, I am also a runner and need to get my 5k speeds up and add to my distance. My goal is to run a half marathon this fall; I have a 10k in two weeks.

I typically work out 5 times a week; run a couple of times, bike a couple of times to minmize the impact on my feet. I'll need to ramp up my running.

Any tips on how to eat to lose weight, yet eat enough to run well?

I should mention I am 5'5 and am a 34-yr-old female.

_krysten

Hi there Krysten

Congratulations on your success so far. I've been able to eat, run, and lose weight on MFP. I eat a healthy diet. Mostly whole foods. I practice a 20% rule with anything that has a nutrition information label. Meaning my diet is about 20% of stuff that has a nutrition label on it explaining what's in it. I also do not limit carbs or protein. I just select healthy carbs. Hth.

Check in here and let us know how you're doing:flowerforyou: