ChaLeaners Unite!!

Options

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I am struggling with food intake.
    Either I am forgetting to eat or pigging out.
    I asked some of the "sage" members of the site for input and gave them a rough outline of what the ChaLEAN program is about... their response, "You can't lift weights and lose weight." Uhhhh.... then what the hell am I doing!?! Granted, I haven't lost weight... only gained...
    They were also hung up on the BMI index which according to that I am obese, but looking at me... measuring me, etc I am not... overweight yeah....

Anyway... I need help regimenting my meals.
    I "forget" to eat regularly and then end up snacking when I shouldn't on things I shouldn't or wolfing down food when I take the time to eat.

I start my summer vacation on Thursday, so my schedule will be more flexible.
    I just feel dumb cause I can't figure out how to lose weight. :embarassed:
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options
    I asked some of the "sage" members of the site for input and gave them a rough outline of what the ChaLEAN program is about... their response, "You can't lift weights and lose weight." Uhhhh.... then what the hell am I doing!?! Granted, I haven't lost weight... only gained...
    They were also hung up on the BMI index which according to that I am obese, but looking at me... measuring me, etc I am not... overweight yeah....

I "forget" to eat regularly and then end up snacking when I shouldn't on things I shouldn't or wolfing down food when I take the time to eat.

You may not lose much weight, but your body composition should change dramatically. I just started the lean phase and I hear this is where you get your greatest results. We shall see, I have only done one work out.
    So far, I have lost only 4 lbs in 60 days. But, I don't have a thyroid, so my metabolism is different.
    I have noticed a huge difference in muscle definition. I never thought I would have biceps and my thighs and butt are really shaping up.
    I have my intakes set at 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fat, and between 1600 - 1700 calories per day. It seems to be working for me.
    Just make sure you try to keep your meals clean. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Brile - Dont beat yourself up, I've been there plenty of times. I'm sure you've heard it before (yeah here is goes) muscle weighs more than fat. So would you rather be a giggly 120# or a firm lean 140#. :wink: We don't walk around with weight scales, stopping people and telling them, look how much I weigh.:laugh: All this working out and eating right will take time, but it's okay because we've made it our lifestyle. What helps me with my eating habits is packing and planning (maybe setting the alarm on your watch or your cell phone in the beginning to remind you to eat and soon this will be a habit). This is what my meals look like, but if I fall off the wagon which does happen, I get back on it quickly, and let it go so it wont haunt me for my next meal.

Breakfast
    3-4 egg whites with whole wheat toast or when I'm in a hurry protien drink with oatmeal

snack - a banana or apple with string cheese

lunch - tuna, chicken with salad or veggie, sometimes I'll have black beans or quinoa

snack - yogurt, or whole wheat muffin, or tuna in a pouch (love it), or almonds

dinner - 4oz. fish, or chicken, or steak, with veggies or salad with or without rice

post workout - protien drink.
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Brile - Dont beat yourself up, I've been there plenty of times. I'm sure you've heard it before (yeah here is goes) muscle weighs more than fat. So would you rather be a giggly 120# or a firm lean 140#. :wink: We don't walk around with weight scales, stopping people and telling them, look how much I weigh.:laugh: All this working out and eating right will take time, but it's okay because we've made it our lifestyle. What helps me with my eating habits is packing and planning (maybe setting the alarm on your watch or your cell phone in the beginning to remind you to eat and soon this will be a habit). This is what my meals look like, but if I fall off the wagon which does happen, I get back on it quickly, and let it go so it wont haunt me for my next meal.

Breakfast
    3-4 egg whites with whole wheat toast or when I'm in a hurry protien drink with oatmeal

snack - a banana or apple with string cheese

lunch - tuna, chicken with salad or veggie, sometimes I'll have black beans or quinoa

snack - yogurt, or whole wheat muffin, or tuna in a pouch (love it), or almonds

dinner - 4oz. fish, or chicken, or steak, with veggies or salad with or without rice

post workout - protien drink.

I just got so down when the guy was TRYING to be helpful....
    Thanks for the menu... that does help to see.
    Not to be nosey, but roughly what is your calorie intake a day?
    You are right, I lost 10lbs in a month.... by NOT working out.(that was the only change)..I was all....squishy, it was gross.
    I guess psychologically it's getting to me. I've been at this a year... and I feel like I have nothing to show for it. I was proud of the 10lb loss, even though I didn't like how I looked. Now, I am liking how I look (goal to fit into a specific pair of shorts in August for fiances retrun from deployment) more but HATE the number on the scale. I do like the alarm idea, I will need to do that at least in the beginning.

If you work out in the morning, should you eat first? I usually workout in the afternoons, but was hoping to shift it to mornings with school ending.
    I am generally fit... just built like a linebacker, even though I get a good workout with ChaLEAN I would like to add more cardio... to increase fat burn. I can't run long distances, bad knee.... but I can do short sprints (go fig). Or would just adding on an additional cardio workout... like Turbo Jam, Slim in 6: Ramp It Up, etc be a better idea?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day, about every 3hrs or so. In the evening if I am very full after dinner and I don't have that many more calories left, not more than 200, then I omit my 6th meal. It is usually 5 meals, bfast, midmorning snack, lunch, midafternoon snack and dinner.

Bfast could be oatmeal with a scoop of whey protein and 1 T of natural peanut butter, Or subsitute the whey prot with nonfat milk cooked with the oatmeal and the PB. Or a double fiber english muffin with PB and fruit, or an english muffin with one egg and cheese (healthy egg mcmuffin)

Snacks, raw almonds, babybel cheese or string cheese, protein bars or shakes, cheese and fruit, veggies with PB, any combination like that, same for midafternoon snacks.

Lunch, tuna sandwich (healthy, no tons of mayo or no mayo at all), a nice salad with turkey breast or chicken breast, leftovers from dinner, some fruit with it maybe, etc.

Dinner is usually a lean protein with tons of veggies, maybe some sweet potato or 1/2 c of rice, or 1/2 c of beans.

Watch your sodium intake, drink lots of water, try to eat clean,non processed foods most of the time (more than 85-90% of the time) Apply the same principle when you eat out. Organize yourself, plan for your meals. One thing that really helps me is to log in my food and pack and prepare everything the night before as much as possible. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail". It is not always perfect and it shouldnt be but if you try to follow it as close as possible you will see major changes. Please ask any questions you have. We are here to help one another.

And as purple said, dont beat yourself up, it is not easy, I know. But you can do it. It takes time to get organized but you will get used to it and will find the best way for you. Remember stress can hinder your weight loss efforts. Relax, continue working out and get creative with your meals using fresh ingredients as much as possible.

Oh, forgot, I eat about 1500-1700 cals a day. On days I do my long run and burn tons of calories I eat more. I eat most of my exercise calories but not necessarily all, depending on how I feel.

You should eat within an hr from wake up so if your workout is less than that I normally dont eat anything and then eat right after, some people always eat before a workout. If the workout is longer than an hr I eat my breakfast and wait at least an hr for my workout. Or if I want to start right away I might eat a banana or an orange and workout right away. I then include that when I enter my bfast.

Take care, Annette :flowerforyou:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Oh! Thanks for all that information!
    You guys are great... I learn so much from you.

I will work on cleaning up my meals and setting an alarm so they are spaced correctly and I remember them. :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Well, I disagree there. I lift weights heavy and see the most changes in my body when I am lifting. And I lost 10# from using ChaLean. But... you need to also go by the scale and see the changes in your body also.

Don't *forget* to eat. Eating regularly, smaller meals throughout the day works for me. If I wait 5-6 hrs to eat, I'm starving and I'll overeat the next meal. Just keep at it. You shouldn't be embarrassed!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If you work out in the morning, should you eat first? I usually workout in the afternoons, but was hoping to shift it to mornings with school ending.
    I am generally fit... just built like a linebacker, even though I get a good workout with ChaLEAN I would like to add more cardio... to increase fat burn. I can't run long distances, bad knee.... but I can do short sprints (go fig). Or would just adding on an additional cardio workout... like Turbo Jam, Slim in 6: Ramp It Up, etc be a better idea?

I like to just eat a banana before working out. It sits well in my tummy, gives me enough energy to get through the workouts, and by the time I'm done I'm ready to eat!! Turbo Jam would be a great addition to the ChaLean workouts!

Jess
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am done with the Push Phase!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Finished this morning! Since I was lifting 25 lb dumbells most of the time my right wrist started bothering me a little. I tried very hard to keep the wrist in the correct position but it is tough with a 25lb dumbell. But I did it, I feel great! I am taking a "forced" break for 4 days, going to NYC. I will start the Lean Phase on Monday. I am weighing/measuring tomorrow morning before I leave. Or should I weigh/measure after my trip on Mon morning? I don't want to be dissapointed if I gain a couple of lbs. :laugh:

Brile, you are welcome! Like Jess said, keep at it!!! Don't give up! We all struggle. Stay consistent. Hey and if you fall down one meal or one day pick yourself up and keep going...I am telling you and Chalene says it and I hear and read it everywhere, 80% comes from the diet, you can exercise all day long until you are blue in the face but if you are not eating right you will not see results or the results that you were hoping for. It took me a long time to get that through my head.

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Alf: Congrats on completing the PUSH phase:flowerforyou: I'm still really feeling it in my legs today. Since I started my fall run training yesterday, I guess that isn't so shocking. Have a great Trip!

Jess: How do you fit your running in with CX? Right now I'm running 4 days a week so I'm trying to fit the Burn Circuit's in on my rest days. Just wondering if you had any tips on fitting the two programs together.
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! I tried to get advice from my coach but he's not much use with ChaLEAN stuff.

Jess: Thanks for the banana idea, that sounds like a good start before I workout.
    I'll work on getting in at least 5 meals. Hopefully, it will be easier when I am done being stuck at school. :flowerforyou:

Alf: Thanks for the pointer... I have heard the 80% thing, and when I hear it I agree... but I always forget to live it. :laugh: I'll work on that too.
  • purple120
    Options
    It's Week 4 and Burn Circuit 2, almost done with my 1st 30 days. It has gone by so fast. I'm a little nervous of going into the Push phase, but willing to tackle it. I even cleaned out my garage yesterday to make it more functional for my workouts, or maybe it was a motivational tool. Well whatever it was I'm pumped for tonight's workout.

Have a fun workout and great eating. :flowerforyou:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    It's Week 4 and Burn Circuit 2, almost done with my 1st 30 days. It has gone by so fast. I'm a little nervous of going into the Push phase, but willing to tackle it. I even cleaned out my garage yesterday to make it more functional for my workouts, or maybe it was a motivational tool. Well whatever it was I'm pumped for tonight's workout.

Have a fun workout and great eating. :flowerforyou:

I LOVE the Push phase... Ioved the Burn phase too... what am I talkin about!
    However, during the Push... I REALLY am pushing myself... some of the workouts I end up lifting more then ChaLEAN! YAY!

Good Luck, don't be scared but really go for it!
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Week 1 Burn Circuit 2 for me today. Wow! I can see why your pants might get tighter. She is really kicking my butt on lower body. This is really just what I need because I'm built like an upside down triangle and can really use the focus on muscle development in the lower regions. That bowlers lunge just about did me in :drinker:
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    Week 1 Burn Circuit 2 for me today. Wow! I can see why your pants might get tighter. She is really kicking my butt on lower body. This is really just what I need because I'm built like an upside down triangle and can really use the focus on muscle development in the lower regions. That bowlers lunge just about did me in :drinker:

Second week of Burn Circuit 2 for me, the bowlers lunge is a killer!! Today I walked by my mirror and I said thats not me. Today I finally saw a difference in my appearance, everyone else I know says they see a difference I haven't noticed. Today I did!!:drinker:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Congrats rinalynn! Sometimes it is hardest for us to notice the difference.:flowerforyou:
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I did burn circuit 2 today (week 2) and man my thighs are feeling it right now! My select tech dumbbells were delivered via Fedex today I am very excited to use them! It will be nice to have more of a range of weights.
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    Congrats rinalynn! Sometimes it is hardest for us to notice the difference.:flowerforyou:

thank you!!:smile:
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme is a GODSEND! lol. I've lost 30lbs and I'm in the Lean Phase now (week 1). :-) I had a lot to lose AND I pair it up with Turbo Jam. So 30lbs down is great! I still have another 40lbs to go. Maybe round two of CX will help me get there. :-)
  • purple120
    Options
    My workout yesterday was great, was able to go heavier and really pushed myself. Ran three miles afterward and had a lot of energy. It's Burn Intervals and Ab Burner for me tonight.

Femmerides - I have Turbo Jam, how did you add it to this program. I would love to add it also.

I hope everyone has a great workout, but even better you meet your nutritional goals.