The halfers club...for those needing to lose half or more of

Options

Replies

• HeatherMMB
    HeatherMMB Posts: 95
    Options
    Hi everyone - I am new to the group and fairly new to the site - I also post on the +50 group -as I am 55 years young - being in my 50's is GREAT - so many things now that I just don't worry about. But my weight is one that I do worry about. 5'8" and 306 at the start - down 2 pounds this week- my first.
    getting exercise regularly will be my main challange I think.

This site is amazinginly helpful!!

Congrats to everyone who is giving it the effort -:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    One day at a time. It took me some time to gain it and I've protected by weigth gain for about 25 years - so now it's time to let it go! sometimes I think of it as 154 pounds of scar tissue - life is hard sometimes. but it is time to let it go! :happy:

Getting support makes all the difference.

Great to meet you all!!
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Welcome HeatherMMB, so glad your here. You are so right let us do this one day at a time. Hope to get to know ya better.

Wtg Euphonasia, you are awsome keep it up.

Have a great day
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I started my weight loss journey in Feb 2009, before I found this site. I have a lot of health problems-high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes being the big three... My wake up call was three-fold: My doctor sent me for a stress test because she didn't like the way my heart sounded, this same week we discovered my Vitamin D level was severely deficient and my A1C level had steadily climbed from 7 to 7.9 (should be under 6.5.) Making a long story short, my stress test came out fine, my vitamin D level is now normal, and I have lost a total of 33 lbs since Feb. My A1C is now 5.5 due to some diabetic counseling and dosage changes. I actually have decreased my insulin usage by 30%, which is just amazingly awesome to me!
    I have lived so much of my adult life on auto-pilot... It is SO hard to change, and especially to change the voice in my head... I know you know what I mean...
    I know "the only way out is through" and am determined to do the things I want to do, like hiking, dancing, biking, etc. I am going to make myself exercise, make better food choices, and NOT make excuses for myself. I am not going to listen to that negative voice if/when I stumble, but instead dust myself off, and continue my journey.
    I love that you are all there for support, advise, and just someone to listen that knows how daunting this all can be...
    Tami
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    I keep telling myself that it won't help to change one thing in my life. That I have to change everything at once. I know it's BS.

You do NOT need to change everything at once. It takes longer, but baby steps are more productive. Change your diet slightly, portion sizes/better choices. Think about exercising one more time a week than you do(or start with just one!). Don't try to go from 0-60 in 3.3! Remember. Slow and steady wins the race! And don't worry about being upbeat. We're here to support you through all the ups and downs. I know how you feel about having someone close to you who is also over weight and doesn't want to change. My mom is about 10 pounds heavier than I was at my highest weight, and she's diabetic. I've tried talking to her but she just shrugs it off and says, "I can't do it work has bad food all the time I can't resist it."

Welcome to the new members great to see people joining!

Just a mid week update... I had to go into the doctor's today due to a pain in my side. Turns out I have a kidney infection so I'm fine just need water and antibiotics! But... i weighed in and it was first thing in the morning. I know its the middle of our week but I'm VERY happy to say that I was down a pound since my last weigh in. Weight fluctuates so I'm not putting it in but it was a great morale boost since i didn't lose last week. :happy: :happy: :happy:

So I'll keep it up the rest of the week and update ya'll on weigh-in day!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Hi all,
    I started my weight loss journey in Feb 2009, before I found this site. I have a lot of health problems-high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes being the big three... My wake up call was three-fold: My doctor sent me for a stress test because she didn't like the way my heart sounded, this same week we discovered my Vitamin D level was severely deficient and my A1C level had steadily climbed from 7 to 7.9 (should be under 6.5.) Making a long story short, my stress test came out fine, my vitamin D level is now normal, and I have lost a total of 33 lbs since Feb. My A1C is now 5.5 due to some diabetic counseling and dosage changes. I actually have decreased my insulin usage by 30%, which is just amazingly awesome to me!
    I have lived so much of my adult life on auto-pilot... It is SO hard to change, and especially to change the voice in my head... I know you know what I mean...
    I know "the only way out is through" and am determined to do the things I want to do, like hiking, dancing, biking, etc. I am going to make myself exercise, make better food choices, and NOT make excuses for myself. I am not going to listen to that negative voice if/when I stumble, but instead dust myself off, and continue my journey.
    I love that you are all there for support, advise, and just someone to listen that knows how daunting this all can be...
    Tami

Hey Tami, You have made some wonderful strides in the right direction. I know we can make it on this journey. oh and Believe me I do know what you mean. Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi Tami and all! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Tami - you've made a great choice - and as a previous post said - take it in small steps - change is hard BUT it can be done - just be good to yourself - if you are like most of us we have sore arms from beating ourselves up for 'failures'. You have the desire to change so work at not self-sbotagin by having sky high expectations.......you will ge there and we wil be with you......it is a journey and we have time as we make each small change and then every day make the same small changes again and again.
    LIfe is good and it just gets better as we control the food and the weight loss gets us to a place where our blood chemistry is normal and we can move! :happy:
    Keep drinking water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    and move whenever you can!!
    and always ask for support when you need it - we have all been there!!
    Heather
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    hi guys
    just wanted to check in and spread some weight loss love!! hope your all smiling

xxPINK
  • talrcat
    Options
    Hi all, Hope your day is going great! Keep on keeping on, and if you stumble, dust yourself off and get back to keep on, keeping on..... lol...

Heather, What you said, "move when you can" really resonated with me... In fact, recently I have started exercising during commercial breaks! I have always used that time to do little things, like start laundry, put dished in to soak, etc., but had a eureka! moment last week to use this time to excercise!

Does anyone else do this?

Hugs to all,
    Tami
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I need to lose nearly 100 lbs. Probably 90 I think. I need help!!
  • talrcat
    Options
    Hi Cheri!
    Welcome to the group! I only joined a month ago, so I am a newcomer also. This site is GREAT, and the people here are even GREATER! There is so much support for each other-we all are on the same path, just some are longer than others. Read through the posts on the message boards, there is alot of information out there, or just ask any questions that come to mind!
    :flowerforyou:
  • maryperdue
    Options
    I need to lose nearly 100 lbs. Probably 90 I think. I need help!!
    Cheri that is what this is all about, Help. None of us would have any success (at least not long term) if we didn't have support and so let us...and when you are feeling strong we lean on you. It helps so much. Just the accountability of it keeps you on track. Knowing that there are people out there who are on this same journey who will understand and who are working their way towards the same goal helps. You will see. If you have any questions, who better to answer them than a group of women who have had a lot of dieting practice?
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Welcome Cheri!

Just thought I'd drop in and say ITS MY BIRTHDAY. :drinker: "and I'll eat if I want to."

Dinner is going to be nuts I'm not drinking but we're celebrating at Chili's and doing their 3 courses for 20 dollars deal so... lots of calories. Like, nearly 600 over. So... any suggestions on how to burn up those 600 calories? I've already decided to park WAY further than normal from my class today (Yes class on my birthday it sucks), so that will burn a bit, and I'll take the stairs. I don't have time to go to the gym today before the dinner. Maybe some dancing.... hmm.../
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Amanda - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! :flowerforyou: [be very glad you can't hear me:laugh: ]

Cheri - welcome - I am new to the group to and find it really helpful - reading posts helps you know you are not alone - or the only one ever to mess up your helath wtih your weight - and you hear of lots of successess too! stay connected -it Will help and you WILL get there!!

Pink - did you get help with the tyroid - have I got theright person? :embarassed:

have a great day everyone!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am 5 lbs from the half way mark but I made a comparison picture with a pic right before I started losing weight and one from today... and holyyyyyyyyy crap!!!! I can see exactly where I put it when I packed on the weight.. hips, waist and face.
    I don't know how to post a pic in a thread to show you but my new profile pic is the comparison photo if you wanna peek at it.
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am 5 lbs from the half way mark but I made a comparison picture with a pic right before I started losing weight and one from today... and holyyyyyyyyy crap!!!! I can see exactly where I put it when I packed on the weight.. hips, waist and face.
    I don't know how to post a pic in a thread to show you but my new profile pic is the comparison photo if you wanna peek at it.

That is awesome! Wow, what a difference.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA! Eat, and have fun tonight. If you are really worried about the extra cals, just eat half or so of the main course, and pack the rest up for lunch the next day. That's what I did for my birthday, and I shared dessert with my hubby. Because I am used to eating smaller meals, I don't think I can eat a whole restaurant serving anymore!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Happy Birthday Amanda

Hi everyone, I am back from camping. Hope you all are having a wonderful day.

Welcome to the new faces..........:flowerforyou:

Wow valtisha, you look wonderful. :glasses:
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Weigh In Friday!

Last Weigh in - 288
    Today's weigh in - 287.5

Guess I'll have to take it, after last night :laugh:
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Weigh In Friday!

Last Weigh in - 288
    Today's weigh in - 287.5

Guess I'll have to take it, after last night :laugh:

I forgot to take into account that I was wearing my heavy pair of jeans. I weigh myself in at the doctor's office every friday morning and usually i wear my lightest pair of jeans and a t-shirt which is only about 1.3 pounds.

Today I wore my heavy jeans and a tshirt which weigh out to 2 pounds even.

So really

I weighed in at

Which I will happily take. ^_^
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Finally after several weeks of a plateau 4 pounds. Yay
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Congrats "momma"!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: