Students forced to give passwords...

Options

Replies

• theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    It's funny...so many people here saying minors have no rights, but I will bet you they're the same people screaming "babies have rights too!!!!11!" when it comes to abortion.

Looking at someones page is one thing, but getting their password is way out of line. My kids would be pulled out if there was nothing I could do about the password issue, and I would quit my job if it was the case there. What's next? Having to give up your banking password so they can make sure you're not buying something bad online or wasting too much money?

I remember hearing this at my schools: Once your parent picks you up, or you are in your yard and out of the bus drivers sight, it's no longer the schools problem. I completely agree with this. Not their problem or business. Don't want facebook at school? Block the site.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's funny...so many people here saying minors have no rights, but I will bet you they're the same people screaming "babies have rights too!!!!11!" when it comes to abortion.

Looking at someones page is one thing, but getting their password is way out of line. My kids would be pulled out if there was nothing I could do about the password issue, and I would quit my job if it was the case there. What's next? Having to give up your banking password so they can make sure you're not buying something bad online or wasting too much money?

I remember hearing this at my schools: Once your parent picks you up, or you are in your yard and out of the bus drivers sight, it's no longer the schools problem. I completely agree with this. Not their problem or business. Don't want facebook at school? Block the site.

Most schools do block Facebook. That's why bullying goes on at home, behind closed doors. Because kids KNOW they can get away with it.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    WOW! Hell to the NO. Did you read the part of them having to unlock their cell phones in the principles office?! WTF is that?!

I'd wreak havoc!

Tell me why children have cell phones at school ANYWAY... when they are PROHIBITED!

Yes the schools are overstepping bounds, but this is a parenting issue.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I was one of those kids you didn't want your kid hanging around. And, I am telling you from experience, even at age 13, if I didn't want you to know something, you weren't going to know. So, no amount of facebook or whatever else would do anything. Even back then drug deals were never done on the phone. If they do stuff texting, that's just idiotic white kid crap that aren't REALLY bad kids at all. The bad ones will never text about a drug deal. They know that's public record. God, you guys think kids are stupid. The smart ones, the ones really getting in deep, you'll never catch them. You're cathcing the dumb ones that aren't really that much trouble. I guess thats one reason why this makes me mad, you're not even penetrating the real issue at all. It's just surface upwardly mobile middle america white kid crap.

Nah the really bad ones text about it, and talk about it and think police/teachers are stupid enough not to pick up on it. Then they get caught and realize well that was stupid.

It's not idiotic white kid middle america crap. It's all kids who are in gangs that make them think that it's cool to deal drugs, bully others and beat up/shoot people who don't do what they want. It's kids who have no home life or parents to watch over them. It's kids whose parents don't want to stand up to them and want to be the "cool parents".

I said the smart kids.

It is white kid crap, actually. But, whatever. I don't care. My kids will not be sharing their passwords with anyone. That's all.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    WOW! Hell to the NO. Did you read the part of them having to unlock their cell phones in the principles office?! WTF is that?!

I'd wreak havoc!

Tell me why children have cell phones at school ANYWAY... when they are PROHIBITED!

Why? Well, maybe so he can get in touch with me if he needs to. He keeps it off during school hours and turns it on after chool. It's allowed. I allow it and promote it. It's an extra measure of safety that I can communicate with my kids if we need to.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    I don't know if some of these comments I find ignorant, terrifying, horrific, or just plain shocking.

I cannot believe that some people truly think it is ok to violate civil rights under the LIE that you might, possibly, maybe save a life. Just like I don't want my testicles cupped by some random TSA agent under the lie that I might me safer.

The whole "if you have nothing to hide" argument is pathetic. If you believe that it is ok have FB, cell phone, et cetra searched by employers / schools, ask yourself if you would let them come into your home and search through your drawers. There is absolutely no difference, a violation of your civil rights is a violation of your civil rights.

The argument is in no way about the appropriateness of minors having FB accounts, it is about letting some random stranger look through your child's private life. It's my job as the parent to the the nosy SOB looking into their private life, not someone I don't know and I have no way of knowing what their intentions are. No I am not calling all teachers perverts, but its a big world full of sickos and I want to personally know who is delving into my child's life.

Sometimes I start to wonder if this type of think continues if one day my child will come home telling me that it is his responsibility to report me to "mother government" if he sees me doing anything not approved of by current governmental guidelines. I'm sure some people think this sounds paranoid this is where we are headed when we start letting the government raise and monitor our children, insuring that they have their moral and ethical beliefs not the parents.

The last thing I'll say is that it is really easy to give up someones civil rights when they're not your rights being given up.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    here is the problem people. I know that no one likes having their privacy invaded, but don't blame the school, because they are just reacting to problems. The problem is that there are a bunch of knuckleheads in this world that ruin things for everybody. I know most everyone has had someone on face book that posted all kinds of crazy stuff or gave out way too much information or just tried to cause problems. I have adult friends do this and now they are unfriended but just imagine the crazy stuff that kids are posting. My kids facebook pages are pretty much what you would expect, but my kids are 17 and 19. Luckily for me, we didn't have a computer until my kids were older. But the point is, you all know really ignorant people who do ignorant things and we all lose priviledges when these people go too far
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    x
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    But it is the schools fault, they are the ones doing this. Kids have always done stupid, mean things but that does not give the schools the right to push the parents aside. This has nothing to do with FB because even without it kids can still say mean things or spread lies. This is about the school saying they know more than the parents and can do a better job instead of letting the parents to theirs.

What if at your work someone was spreading mean hearted lies about a co-worker. Would you give your employer total access to your FB account, diary, or anything else they wanted to see? Of course not. I don't want my children growing up thinking that this kind to behavior is acceptable because it will just be that much easier as adults for them to not even question when someone wants to roll right over their civil rights.
  • kfitzs
    kfitzs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    a school here has just recently decided any students with a facebook account will be expelled as it is a primary school and none of the students are 13 yet and would therefore be in violation of facebooks terms of use. Also my workplace includes in our code of conduct stuff about facebook we dont have to share our passwords but they manage to see what ever they want i dont know if its cuz people are too dumb to set privacy settings or if they have IT hacking it but people get fired all the time for bullying workmates or saying **** about the company on facebook.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    a school here has just recently decided any students with a facebook account will be expelled as it is a primary school and none of the students are 13 yet and would therefore be in violation of facebooks terms of use. Also my workplace includes in our code of conduct stuff about facebook we dont have to share our passwords but they manage to see what ever they want i dont know if its cuz people are too dumb to set privacy settings or if they have IT hacking it but people get fired all the time for bullying workmates or saying **** about the company on facebook.

I don't really see how it is any of the schools business. Terms of use are in no way laws but once again schools think they are the ones who should make all decisions for the students, not the parents.

I really hate this idea that employers think they should have total access to their employees lives. It more like employers are starting to no longer look at people as employees but rather indentured servants / slaves. They should be concerned with your actions during work hours not at home. Not to mention if a employee is bad mouthing the company they don't need to look at FB to find out, they always end up doing it at work too and it will get back to the employer.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    a school here has just recently decided any students with a facebook account will be expelled as it is a primary school and none of the students are 13 yet and would therefore be in violation of facebooks terms of use.

But that's between Facebook and the kid. Why do the school feel it's their right to get involved?
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's dad can't have a facebook, or even has his name tagged in pictures because he's a corrections officer. It's for his safety.

I think the school is taking it waaaay to far, the only time they should be getting passwords is if they have a warrant for suspicious activity like drug trafficing or cyber bullying. If they're doing it "just because" then no, that's the parent's job monitor not the schools job. Also I feel that anyone under the age of 13 shouldn't be on there even with parental consent. My co-workers 11 year old daughter (who I blocked) was cursing up a storm on facebook, and even went on a rant about how her "grandma was a b*tch."

In the case of certain jobs I understand then wanting to look at it, some jobs go so far as to ask for your password--which is really sketchy to me. If they just had me login and then, looked around, then logged out I'd be fine with it. I'd just change my password when I left.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    Also I feel that anyone under the age of 13 shouldn't be on there even with parental consent. My co-workers 11 year old daughter (who I blocked) was cursing up a storm on facebook, and even went on a rant about how her "grandma was a b*tch."

This brings up a whole new problem. How would someone like to have their live totally examined because some angry, immature child posted some lies about their parents / family. All because the school wants to co-parent.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was one of those kids you didn't want your kid hanging around. And, I am telling you from experience, even at age 13, if I didn't want you to know something, you weren't going to know. So, no amount of facebook or whatever else would do anything. Even back then drug deals were never done on the phone. If they do stuff texting, that's just idiotic white kid crap that aren't REALLY bad kids at all. The bad ones will never text about a drug deal. They know that's public record. God, you guys think kids are stupid. The smart ones, the ones really getting in deep, you'll never catch them. You're cathcing the dumb ones that aren't really that much trouble. I guess thats one reason why this makes me mad, you're not even penetrating the real issue at all. It's just surface upwardly mobile middle america white kid crap.

Nah the really bad ones text about it, and talk about it and think police/teachers are stupid enough not to pick up on it. Then they get caught and realize well that was stupid.

It's not idiotic white kid middle america crap. It's all kids who are in gangs that make them think that it's cool to deal drugs, bully others and beat up/shoot people who don't do what they want. It's kids who have no home life or parents to watch over them. It's kids whose parents don't want to stand up to them and want to be the "cool parents".

I said the smart kids.

It is white kid crap, actually. But, whatever. I don't care. My kids will not be sharing their passwords with anyone. That's all.

No you said bad ones, really bad ones, and then the smart ones.. and let tell you, the really bad ones aren't that smart... and we do catch them, and they get in a lot of trouble, believe me.

I work with this those type of kids day in and day out.. and they are not all white. They are white, black, hispanic, and every other color under this sun.. You can't say it's white kid crap, because 95% of the time, it's my hispanic students and my black ones that are getting caught..not the white ones.

I don't really care either.. but you cannot blame one race and just say oh thats all it is..because it's not. Come work in my school for a day, and then tell me it's all white kid crap.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I'd wreak havoc!

I have never bought the "so he can get in touch with me" excuse as a reason for kids to have cell phones at school. Why? Because as far as I know, schools still have those wonderful things called "secretaries, land lines and paging systems". So, yeah, still not necessary.

Why? Well, maybe so he can get in touch with me if he needs to. He keeps it off during school hours and turns it on after chool. It's allowed. I allow it and promote it. It's an extra measure of safety that I can communicate with my kids if we need to.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I don't know if some of these comments I find ignorant, terrifying, horrific, or just plain shocking.

I cannot believe that some people truly think it is ok to violate civil rights under the LIE that you might, possibly, maybe save a life. Just like I don't want my testicles cupped by some random TSA agent under the lie that I might me safer.

The whole "if you have nothing to hide" argument is pathetic. If you believe that it is ok have FB, cell phone, et cetra searched by employers / schools, ask yourself if you would let them come into your home and search through your drawers. There is absolutely no difference, a violation of your civil rights is a violation of your civil rights.

The argument is in no way about the appropriateness of minors having FB accounts, it is about letting some random stranger look through your child's private life. It's my job as the parent to the the nosy SOB looking into their private life, not someone I don't know and I have no way of knowing what their intentions are. No I am not calling all teachers perverts, but its a big world full of sickos and I want to personally know who is delving into my child's life.

Sometimes I start to wonder if this type of think continues if one day my child will come home telling me that it is his responsibility to report me to "mother government" if he sees me doing anything not approved of by current governmental guidelines. I'm sure some people think this sounds paranoid this is where we are headed when we start letting the government raise and monitor our children, insuring that they have their moral and ethical beliefs not the parents.

The last thing I'll say is that it is really easy to give up someones civil rights when they're not your rights being given up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: many students hide many things from their parents. When teachers overhear things that are concerning, they MUST act on it, or risk losing their jobs for lack of attention to the matter. We are mandatory reporters of child abuse, sexual abuse, bullying, mental health concerns, etc.

Lemme see: "no looking at texts" = invasion of privacy
    "No looking at texts or facebook, and student comes to school and shoots up students" = LAWSUIT from parents who said "Why didn't you see this coming, Mr Principal? Why weren't they warned?"

Well,we've suspected Johnny wasn't quite "right" in the head, but ya know, parents are upset about the whole "snooping thing, what with privacy concerns and all, so we decided not to risk a lawsuit by not interfering"

Oh, well guess what, Mr Principal? We are suing for not getting involved ENOUGH.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't, eh?
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This this a serious issue for all of us who use the internet, do you think an employer should be able to demand your "private" information? If school officials have a problem with a child they should contact the parents, not go trolling FB to find problems that are not in school. Who knows maybe that councilor was mean as a form of entrapment, to provoke a response, we weren't there.

There is a action on aclu's web site about this type of internet privacy, consider signing because it is not just this case but the future of our rights in the US.

https://secure.aclu.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4264&s_subsrc=120323_FBpassword_ac

"TELL CONGRESS: Protect My Private Social Networking Information!
    A growing number of employers and schools are demanding that job applicants, employees and students hand over private information from their private social networking accounts such as Facebook. Student athletes are forced to “friend” a coach or administrator. Job candidates have scroll through their Facebook page with an interviewer. Students face demands for their password so they can be quizzed on their sex life by school administrators.

It’s an egregious violation of personal privacy and it is often happening in situations where people feel powerless to resist. That is why Congress needs to step in. We need a bright line rule - if it’s behind a password, that means keep out, whether you’re an employer, a school or the government."
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the OP for posting this
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    This this a serious issue for all of us who use the internet, do you think an employer should be able to demand your "private" information? If school officials have a problem with a child they should contact the parents, not go trolling FB to find problems that are not in school. Who knows maybe that councilor was mean as a form of entrapment, to provoke a response, we weren't there.

There is a action on aclu's web site about this type of internet privacy, consider signing because it is not just this case but the future of our rights in the US.

https://secure.aclu.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4264&s_subsrc=120323_FBpassword_ac

"TELL CONGRESS: Protect My Private Social Networking Information!
    A growing number of employers and schools are demanding that job applicants, employees and students hand over private information from their private social networking accounts such as Facebook. Student athletes are forced to “friend” a coach or administrator. Job candidates have scroll through their Facebook page with an interviewer. Students face demands for their password so they can be quizzed on their sex life by school administrators.

It’s an egregious violation of personal privacy and it is often happening in situations where people feel powerless to resist. That is why Congress needs to step in. We need a bright line rule - if it’s behind a password, that means keep out, whether you’re an employer, a school or the government."

I guess I don't understand how "Facebook" and "Private" can be used in the same sentence. Private means between a select few, not "all over the internet and visible by many people whom I've never met before, or intend to meet ever, in my life."