Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options

Does it matter what a serving is if there really aren't any calories at all in them????

I'd assume it would matter in terms of price.

And I think there would only be 2 serves in an 8oz bag
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    In general, I love any Japanese food ^^ I'll have to look for these noodles. I don't think any of my recipe books from the Japanese supermarket uses shirtaki, but I'll try searching for recipes in Japanese to see what comes up. Thanks for the post.

Traditionally, in Japanese foods, shirataki noodles are used in sukiyaki and mizutaki. The tofu shirataki noodles are not traditional Japanese. Shirataki noodles are made from the konjac plant. You might find more Japanese recipes using konnyaku which is what shirataki is before made into noodles (shirataki noodles are sometimes called konnyaku noodles).

Here's a good reference: http://www.justhungry.com/2007/01/konnyaku_and_shirataki_ojftmhy.html
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I picked up some at the Asian market today (the tofu kind). For lunch I dry fried them and added bean sprouts, shiitake mushrooms and some green onion. I made a quick sauce with oyster sauce, soy sauce, a little grated ginger and sesame oil. I usually have issues with weird textures but I didn't have a problem with this at all! It tasted great! Thanks Chelle :):flowerforyou:
  • TVGal63
    TVGal63 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE House Foods brand :) I've been using them and wow - they're filling and are a great sub for pasta!!!

I didn't realize there were other brands so will look to see if my local Whole Foods has any others to choose from.

Great post BTW!!
  • Candoall
    Candoall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love these! Rinsed really well in hot water, fried them in a tiny bit of Pam, and used them as a noodle bed for my curried chicken dinner a few weeks ago.

Absolute yum!!

I ALWAYS keep at least 2 bags in the fridge ready for a meal :).

Thanks Chelle...U ROCK!!!
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    So i ended up trying these noodles after reading this post. I think they are amazing!! I rinsed them in hot water for quite a while and the smell went away. Then i dry fried them and seasoned them really well. The texture didn't bother me. I thought they were really good and suprisingly satisfying for being a zero calorie noodle. I actually felt full after eating them. I got my first two bags from a friend who ordered them from konjacfoods.com. I live in Pittsburgh and would love to find a place that sells it locally. I've heard they sell them at Lotus Noodle Co in the Strip and Whole Foods in Shadyside, so i'll be checking them out soon, unless anyone else knows. Thanks for the great post!
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    made a special trip to the asian market and they had several different kinds. I got the yam flour and the tofu noodles. Tofu had more calories-(still low) but I liked them better. I used the OP suggestions for dry fry and they were excellent!!!!! Will be replacing spagetti pasta and using for lo mein
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I still can't find these in any local stores and we don't have any specialty stores near by. I think I am going to have to order some online because I am dying to try them!
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    I love Miracle Noodles! Have been using their varieties with great recipes I find on their Facebook page..so neat, the people on there share their recipes..so creative and easy to prepare. I like the varieties!! Their Facebook page offers specials as well!!
  • teriann1979
    teriann1979 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    bump going to try tham
  • j3m123
    j3m123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WhatitisLiz
    WhatitisLiz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just bought some today, I'm so excited to try them!
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hm.. I might try these. I've been eating spaghetti squash instead of pasta and i really like it :)
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just tried Shirataki noodles for the first time today. I bought them on-line. Did not realize they came packed in liquid and they looked so weird I didn't have the nerve to try them. So I have had the box for over a month. I decided to give it a try today and I am so happy I did. The texture is a little weird spongy, rubbery, but the taste is neutral, so it picks up whatever flavor it is with. I was thrilled to be FULL after lunch, so much so that I did not feel to snack before dinner AND with a whopping 13 calories and 5 grams of carbs for the whole bag (2.5 servings per bag, but I ate the whole bag), I AM SOLD!!! I think this is a tool in my arsenal to help me get to my goal!!!
  • poetinmyheart
    poetinmyheart Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have never tried them but for Texas folks, I saw them today at our HEB.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • poison_masquerade
    Options
    Bump
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just tried my angel hair shirataki noodles last night. I was a little put off by the fishy smell. pee eew. I dry-fried them with a little cooking spray and tossed them with a little garlic and topped them with my homemade spaghetti sauce and voila, skinny sgetti! delish! can't wait to find more ways to make them.