Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    I met my daughter's mother in law last night with a personal trainer friend of hers to do a workout at the Rec Centre. It was a lot of fun and a workout like I have never had!

The trainer had two decks of playing cards including the Jokers. She mixed them up in a pile on the floor, then there was a list of what each suit was telling us to do.

Aces and Jokers - 1 lap around the 200m track at a sprint or jog. (Since we were just starting we were able to walk if we felt more comfortable doing that, I ran 80% of the ones that I pulled)

Hearts - 1 set of stairs - 6 flights of stairs, each flight had 14 steps - All steps down and up counted as 4 sets. (I still am not sure how she figured the math on that)

Clubs - Bicep Curls
    Tricep Curls
    Medicine Ball against Wall

Diamonds - Plank
    Flip Plank
    Push Ups

Spades - Walking Lunge
    Curtsy Lunge
    Backwards Lunge

For Clubs, Diamonds and Spades the face value of the card was double. So if you got the 10 of Spades you had to do 20 Walking lunges. The first time you drew the suit you did the first item for that suit, second did the second, etc. We used 5 pound weights when we did any of the clubs or spades.

I drew Aces, Jokers and Hearts pretty much all night. I think I drew Spades 3 times, Clubs only twice, Diamonds only once. The goal is to get through all cards. We had about 6 cards left when we stopped because the gym was overcrowded with a hockey team that came in.

It was a lot of fun and I told her I would totally be up for doing it again.

I was thinking about it and it's something I could do at home as well. I don't have stairs or a track, but I could put something else in it's place. I have a space to do everything else and I would only use 1 deck of cards.

We just received some wonderful news! Today was supposed to be my husband's last day and would be starting winter lay-off. He just got told he has 2 weeks more for sure and possibly 3!

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend. It is Thanksgiving here in Canada and I have a busy weekend ahead of me. Tomorrow my cousin is coming to spend the day and possibly the night as she has an early morning flight Sunday. We live literally 5 minutes from the airport. Sunday I have a Gender Reveal to go to for another cousin's granddaughter. Guess I should go buy something for that... After the Gender Reveal we are doing our Thanksgiving dinner. Monday I have to get at my crafting!

Happy Weekend!
    Tracey
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Wow Tracey that is alot to do for a work out. Congrats. I would be so sore today! Sounds like fun too! Happy Thanksgiving and have a great weekend!
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So I really did a number on myself. SO made a ramp for our pup to get up on our bed (never uses it..lol) Sat night, I was going to let dogs out to potty. My foot, somehow, got caught and I ended up face planting on the hard wood floor. After, taking out side of ramp (wood) with my leg. I'm sure, it would have been funny to watch...I managed to catch myself, sort of, with my hands.. but, still hit my mouth and nose. It's been almost a week and I am still so sore! I have a huge, ugly bruise from front to back on my leg... really expected to see more bruises. My back, chest and arms are so achy. And, it hurts to blow my nose. It's not broken. Really surprised it's not black and blue, tho. Definitely don't bounce back like I used to.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Does anyone quilt? My friend's hubby passed a year or so ago and her friend made this quilt from his shirts and jeans. Gma gave me a bunch of Gpa's clothes and I was thinking of trying. I don't have a sewing machine, so would have to do by hand... just not sure if I'm up to the challenge...lol
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    So I really did a number on myself. SO made a ramp for our pup to get up on our bed (never uses it..lol) Sat night, I was going to let dogs out to potty. My foot, somehow, got caught and I ended up face planting on the hard wood floor. After, taking out side of ramp (wood) with my leg. I'm sure, it would have been funny to watch...I managed to catch myself, sort of, with my hands.. but, still hit my mouth and nose. It's been almost a week and I am still so sore! I have a huge, ugly bruise from front to back on my leg... really expected to see more bruises. My back, chest and arms are so achy. And, it hurts to blow my nose. It's not broken. Really surprised it's not black and blue, tho. Definitely don't bounce back like I used to.

OMG that sounds horrible! I am glad nothing broken. But ouch!
    I have never quilted and do not sew much, but I have seen throw pillows made out of clothing as well as memorials. Maybe easier to sew by hand? Good luck with that endeavor. That sounds so cool.
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Dang Dawn!! Are you sure nothing is broken?? Hurts just reading your description! I have done quilt tops but had someone with a special sewing machine attachment do the actual quilting to the batting and backing. Pillow covers would be much easier to make if you have to sew by hand. https://www.creeklinehouse.com/the-10-minute-diy-pillow-cover/ Another option would be look up Joanns Fabrics or a fabric store in your area and see if they do any classes on sewing. They will have sewing machines in there to use.

Tracey - that workout with the cards sounded fun. Not sure I could keep everything straight as to what means what, but it would be a fun thing to try!

Going to meet a friend for dinner tonight. May go get fitted for a new pair of running shoes. The "youngest" pair I have is at least 5 years old and broken down. Am tired of having hips and knees hurt after a walk/run.

• arniedog74
    Options
    Lynn/Kathryn- when I hit the ramp wall, I thought for sure, I must have broke something. Pain was so intense. I'm sure I'm ok and nothing broke. Just deeply bruised.

Thanks for idea about pillow...I saw those as well and was also considering that...

Kathryn - thanks for link... Will definitely check that out... no Joann close to me. Will rethink doing an actual quilt. Now that I think about it, maybe if I have enough I can make a pillow for Gma, as well. Enjoy your dinner!

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Dawn - people also used to take clothing and braided it for area rugs...... So many ideas.... use hot water bottle or heating pad -hope you are doing better.

Kathryn good shoes are an investment in your health.

Got a picture of the 40 plus people I sent crocheted hearts to who were living with the huge fire north of us. All the dislocated coworkers are now housed again which is most important. I left my Supervisor out of the loop but sent a copy of the email/picture - next years eval......

Christmas crochet ideas I may try this weekend but mainly mindless work.

Leandro and I interviewed 3 cboys - 2 are in the next round - #3 was part time only and no traveling, so we thanked him and moved on. Hope foreign language is not a problem as these 2 make everything sound sexy. Boy just thinking about it makes me glad I have the fan on :wink:

Wishing all a good night.

• arniedog74
    Options
    Sara - I used ice first couple nights... hot showers, switching from Ibuprofen and Extra Strength Tylenol... rug is a good idea...I dunno... keep looking at different ideas online... not quite sure what I want to do... thanks for idea
  • Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    v8st40tqyxwa.png

Hello everyone!! Mammogram was eventful today. This technician took several more pics than technician did last year. But she let me sit on stool in between scans so my back wouldn’t be in excruciating pain.

@brennerjlb Lynn - that dog is beautiful!! I once had a black cat named Maggie. I miss her terribly!! I can’t wait for it to get cooler here. No matter that I have been here three years, I still cant handle the southern heat.

@Tilliesmommy1 Sara - those tacos do sound good. I once hung out a lot with a friend’s family who was Mexican and they would make these street tacos... fresh grilled tortillas, different cuts of meat, hot dogs, bacon, and I don’t know what kind of seasoning she used... I about exploded they were so good!!

@Snowflake1968 Tracey - I hope that this Thanksgiving is awesome for you! Is it as much of a food fiasco as here in the US?

Yes, it is a fitness tracker. Not sure what band options they have. Plenty different ones were on the site. It is through Misfit. It pairs with your phone and can monitor different activities, sleep, calories burned in the day, and they have several different types of trackers and watches. I happened to get in on a sale. Paid $10.84 for it. Shipping was free. Normally priced at $99.99. I just can NOT get used to having something on my wrist. I was in my preteens when I last wore a watch.

@arniedog74 Dawn - I hope that you are okay!! That sounded most painful!! 😖 I truly hope that you get better fast.

@hickchic67 Kathryn - your post reminds me I need to get new shoes. My newest ones are at least 6 years old. Haven’t worn them a lot, but still need to find a good place to find shoes here. Used to go to a specialty store back home because an acquaintance worked there and got me a discount or just bought me the shoes.

Well... I am exhausted and didn’t even do anything today. Probably need to head to laundromat tomorrow.

Have a great weekend all!!
    Runa
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Dog up in middle of night (okay so was I) so my next piece of sleep will be welcome.

www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-and-broccoli-stir-fry/ making this weekend. With a pot of rice - 4 easy meals.

Runa - Good job on getting the mammogram. Not the most fun, but necessary. If I had that technology gadget it would stay in the drawer as I dont need to be reminded that I dont walk off my calories - yes I am stubborn.

Fall temps mean trying on my Fall/Winter work pants is imminent - heaviest I have been since I bought those pants and they only last so long anyway - not looking forward to it.

Wave to all who follow.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    @RunaMarti - thanks for the info. Thanksgiving is food heavy here too for a lot of people. I don’t go overboard though because I end up throwing too much out. I will be doing turkey, stuffing, vegetables, my two sons in law have a favourite dish from their childhoods that I usually make for them and I’ll do probably 3 pies. The boys items will go home with them, I don’t eat either of them. The pies will probably have a piece or two each eaten and then be thrown out. I don’t eat pie either. My husband will insist I don’t give “all the turkey” away to the girls to take home, then will be tired of eating it in a day or two. I’ll throw it in the freezer and then just before Christmas I will throw it in the trash. It all seems so wasteful to me, but I try to make everyone’s favourites. I personally would rather a nice roast beef dinner and call it good!

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options

Hi Everybody~~

My oh My the Cabana Club has been busy!

Dawn - Holy canola - that fall sounds awful; I am so glad that you are OK.

Sara -
    "Leandro and I interviewed 3 cboys - 2 are in the next round - #3 was part time only and no traveling, so we thanked him and moved on. Hope foreign language is not a problem as these 2 make everything sound sexy. Boy just thinking about it makes me glad I have the fan on :wink:"

Definitely grab the foreign candidates who love to travel and know how to use the magic sprays and potions, along with various weapons. I love their unusual accents. Yes, fan madly~~

Lana

239.8 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SUNDAY

Good morning,

Up with dog, back for more sleep will not be difficult. Cooler temps make it easier for me to sleep. Yawning away here,

Cooking today for week meals. Found a leftover macaroni and cheese with broccoli in freezer and that was dinner last night.

Wondering what my goal for this week should be..... also thinking too hard.

Wave to all who follow.
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

I've been taking most of my supplements (some have not arrived yet), and am attempting to move toward a keto lifestyle. Knowing the loss is water, I've lost 10 pounds since Monday. The belly bloat has reduced enough that I can comfortably fit in my size 12 jeans again.

Today will be tough. We have a Moose District meeting most of the day and the good is not keto or sensitivity friendly for me. I'll eat before I go and carry a snack for later. Fortunately, I won a "Keto Survival Kit" from my local health food store, so I have some ready snacks.

Wishing everyone a happy Sunday!
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options

Happy Sunday Sara and Tracy~~

Today will be all about going out to Long Island to visit my friend. Must get the bagels and cream cheese and bring that along. That was the request.

I will have a bagel with cream cheese, track it, then eat lean/low carb tonight and tomorrow.

Waves to all who stop by today~~

Lana
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, all!!

I've been going through all the posts but haven't posted myself in a few days.
    I've had an eventful, relaxing, and productive weekend all in one! Went out a few times but really kept my food choices pretty healthy. Proud of that.

Got my 3 stronglifts workouts in this week and a few walks! Man I feel so good when I workout, I honestly don't know why that isn't motivation for me to do it more, LOL. My husband always makes fun of me because mid-workout he is about to die and I get that "high." I start talking a lot more and its obvious my mood has lifted. It's crazy, but good. Need to remember that when motivation is low...

Grilling some shrimp and chicken to go with roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli for my lunches for the next few days!

Lana - hope you enjoy your bagel and have a great time visiting your friend!
    Waves to all!!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Well my weight hasn't budged all this week but my waistline has gone down 4cm this month, I fit into two dresses I couldn't previously and my face also looks slimmer in photos. So I consider that a win! Contemplating whether to go for a walk or not today. Depends how much housework I get done and I need to muster up the motivation
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited October 2018
    Options
    MONDAY

Good morning, weight up only 0.2 and for the last month I have stayed within the same pound. Now for shaving off the ounces with more exercise and working again on water.

Dentist this afternoon, he said they were fillings, so not so much "juice".

Nice to know I have a lot of choice and good food waiting in fridge/freezer.

Wave to all who follow. Make it your best Monday