How to target back fat?

Options

Replies

• Amoravy
    Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just wanted to show visually what can happen when you incorporate strength training...sometimes words don't penetrate like evidence in visual form can. That and it's just another opportunity for me to show off what I've busted my tail for! :D

Yeah, seriousy. Where were you 12 pages ago? That's the exact back fat I was trying to explain.

What do you mean where was she 12 pages ago? People were telling you to add strength trainging on page 1.

Like she said...visually works much better than someone just saying "do strength training".

Plus, she wrote what her fitness routine consisted of.

A+ for her.
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I haven't laughed this much in a very long time!
    I agree! Google, 4th dimensions, lollipop trees, and the land of make believe. Too funny!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Wow...ya wake up at 3am intending to go to the loo and figure "Hey let's see what's happening on MFP." Then, *poof* the magic that is this thread happens.

Racism, sexism, body shaming, ice cream, sexy back pictures all over my friend list, good advice, bad advice, bats**t insane advice, cats and dogs living together! Glorious mayhem!

I stopped around page 9000 (somewhere about the middle) but I hope that the op has found something helpful to take away. Specifically the stuff Sara, Dav and the like have said, as they are truly brilliant people.

My only request is that you kids please keep it down a bit...some of us a trying to sleep.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    LIPO
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a bigger woman, 25 same as you. I've always been top heavy so I have a lot of extra in the bra area on the side and back. I've started LIGHT strength training and its helping to firm up my arms and I have started to lose some of the side and back fat in my bra area. I started with 4 pound weights and now 5 pounds. (They also sell weights for walking) You could include these in your cardio and it may help. I'm no expert, just trying to offer some advice and support! Good luck girl!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    OMG! You have flipping AMAZING results. Very well done. You look wonderful. Did you workout with a trainer or do this on your own? What diet or eating plan did you adopt? How long did this take and what is your age bracket (if you don't mind answering the latter question). If you do, it's okay.

Thank you. I just started working out in a group training session in November. Most of the results you see were from before that - I trained by myself at home (purchased a power cage/squat rack, barbell, plates, and bench on craigslist). I used NROL4W in March last year to start....then picked up Starting Strength from August til November. So I followed pre-written programs because I didn't know how to make a training program on my own. As for diet - 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat and anywhere from 1600-2000 cals (depending on day if I was lifting or not - ate more on days I lifted, 3x a week, less on days I rested). I'm 5'5" and I weigh 158 lbs currently (though I got down to 149 in October last year but have kinda "bulked" the past few months, unintentionally, heh). I'm 33 years old.
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Holy piping hypocrisy, Batman! This is also ironic as hell. Welp, time for bed.
    Good go. You already told me bye once. so BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! You won't be missed. I don't want to talk to you so don't flatter yourself by trying to get my attention.

How VIP of you.
    The fact that your last several comments have ONLY been to me, I would say in YOUR world I must be damn important. You don't see me following you around MFP trying to talk to you, do you? Find someone else to bother.

Not important, not interested, it's just that you clearly have marbles for brains, and it's funny to see what shenanigans you'll be spouting off next. Although it IS getting late, and sleep is important for losing back fat!
    Reading is one thing, but commenting over and over to someone who ignores you is comic. Get a clue!
  • Amoravy
    Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow...ya wake up at 3am intending to go to the loo and figure "Hey let's see what's happening on MFP." Then, *poof* the magic that is this thread happens.

Racism, sexism, body shaming, ice cream, sexy back pictures all over my friend list, good advice, bad advice, bats**t insane advice, cats and dogs living together! Glorious mayhem!

I stopped around page 9000 (somewhere about the middle) but I hope that the op has found something helpful to take away. Specifically the stuff Sara, Dav and the like have said, as they are truly brilliant people.

My only request is that you kids please keep it down a bit...some of us a trying to sleep.

LOL! Yes, it was an adventure and I did take plenty from this actually...

and I don't know whether to be proud about how many posts this board has led to...or ashamed?

Either way, don't ask me how oranges and chunky monkey icecream snuck its way in. I still don't even know.

I am going to bed so I can try and lose some of this back fat tomorrow.

:)
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I enjoy reading the replies that are posted.
    Thanks for the good reading... :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Holy piping hypocrisy, Batman! This is also ironic as hell. Welp, time for bed.
    Good go. You already told me bye once. so BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! You won't be missed. I don't want to talk to you so don't flatter yourself by trying to get my attention.

How VIP of you.
    The fact that your last several comments have ONLY been to me, I would say in YOUR world I must be damn important. You don't see me following you around MFP trying to talk to you, do you? Find someone else to bother.

Not important, not interested, it's just that you clearly have marbles for brains, and it's funny to see what shenanigans you'll be spouting off next. Although it IS getting late, and sleep is important for losing back fat!
    Reading is one thing, but commenting over and over to someone who ignores you is comic. Get a clue!

Didn't look like she was ignoring her to me...considering she was responding to her.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to these men. Hire a FEMALE personal trainer and talk to her. Men don't understand a woman's body. It's not the same. Women's bodies are even designed to hold on to fat in preparation for childbirth. It doesn't know there isn't a famine around the corner. Women even have certain days of the month they should be buffing and certain days of the month they should be boosting. It's based on hormones. Your diet and your workouts should be based on that. How many men can explain that one?

1. Lose more weight.
    2. Start strength training
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.

- FROM A WOMAN.

ETA:

1. What in the HALE is buffing and boosting??
    2. OP if you want guidance as to why you haven't lost weight during a year of exercising, you should open your diary, providing that it is accurate.
    No one can really comment

^ Another vote for strength training from a woman. The basics are the same for males and females.

Cant help without seeing your diary but I would add:

4. Small calorie deficit

5. Enough protein.
    I am the original poster of this comment here that said, "don't listen to men" and that "women hold more fat" I also added in the post below that I forgot to mention to LIFT WEIGHTS and suggested it. It just didn't get copied along with this quote. I am a woman too. Yes, lift weights. And yes the basics of lifting are the same. That isn't what i was referring to. I said it is harder for women to lose fat based on the fact that we are women and we have babies. I am only talking about women of childbearing age who have not gone through menopause. We hold onto fat in constant preparation for getting pregnant. I said men don't "get that". I said they lose fat easier. For one they have more muscle, two they don't have bodies which hold onto fat for the event they get pregnant. Again STRENGTH TRAIN. There are a lot of sloppy readers here so quick to post a comment without reading .

How sexist are you? Men dont understand that women hold more fat? Are you serious? Get a female trainer? WTF?

Yes women hold more fat than men. We also look leaner at higher BF% Win for us.

Changes nothing about how to retain LBM while losing body fat. Exactly the same process for men and women at all times of the month.
    AT the time I originally wrote this 2 hrs ago, there were two men on here saying sexist things so I told her not to listen to the men. I meant "the two men posting". YOu are very late in coming into the conversation to be commenting on a conversation which occurred hours ago. Second of all, you are 100% incorrect that a female's hormones do not play a part in what type of workout we should be doing and how many calories or carbs we should be eating at certain days of the month. 100% for a fact incorrect. There is a bucket load of information on this. Michele Berger wrote a book on it. It is called, "hormonal timing" If you want to educate yourself on it, then please do so BEFORE saying anything else about something in which you know nothing about. Once you have done your homework IF you care to do your homework I'd love to hear your comments. Otherwise give me evidence that it is exactly the same for men as it is for women regardless of what time of month it is and prove me wrong. Either way, the ball is in your court. I have done extensive research and I don't care what you chose to do from here on out.

What sexist things....please quote them.

How about you providing evidence that we need to train to our 'hormones' to be effective?
    This is the FOURTH time I have posted your evidence. It is in a book and all over the Internet by the name of "Hormonal Timing". You want me to do copy and pastes from websites and the book? Do you know how pointless that would be? Wouldn't you rather Google it and make your own decision. And then you want me to respond about the sexist comments I claim a man said 2 hours ago? Why do I have to explain this to you? Does this have ANYTHING to do with this subject of "back fat?" If my opinion of two men two hours ago was that they said something I took as sexist. Then that is MY business. It really is none of yours. You're only asking, bc you are looking for drama. The men are responsible for what they said. I am responsible for how I took at and you have nothing to do with that.
    Since when does book & Internet = evidence? Where's the science? Do you know what that means?
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    I have been exercising for a year now and barely lost any weight (although my clothes fit differently and down 3 pant sizes).

I do about an hour of cardio 4 or 5 days a week including running and the arc trainer burning 600-800 calories everytime.

My legs and butt look fantastic, but I cannot get rid of the nasty fold of fat on my back. Not above my bra, not love handes (at least I dont think)...but under my bra where my waist goes in. Just fat...sitting there. It annoys me to the point where I don't want to wear a bathing suit this summer.

I do not do any strength training except for my legs and butt, but after tons of research, everything says to do cardio to "melt" the fat back there.

I don't think I could do anymore cardio folks.

So...I need tips on how to target this. If I tone my back and oblique areas, I'll be so much happier.

What tips do you have? I am willing to do some strength training for this if it will get rid of excess fat. I am eating my calories and trying to eat "cleaner".

No to mention I have been on my plateau for 4 months, I recently started taking CLA supplements suggested by my friend to help.

Liposuction it is!

No seriously, you just can't spot reduce it.. Lift heavy, do some cardio, and diet is all you need.. Don't waste your money on CLA, go get some real healthy foods instead. :)
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    OMG! You have flipping AMAZING results. Very well done. You look wonderful. Did you workout with a trainer or do this on your own? What diet or eating plan did you adopt? How long did this take and what is your age bracket (if you don't mind answering the latter question). If you do, it's okay.

Thank you. I just started working out in a group training session in November. Most of the results you see were from before that - I trained by myself at home (purchased a power cage/squat rack, barbell, plates, and bench on craigslist). I used NROL4W in March last year to start....then picked up Starting Strength from August til November. So I followed pre-written programs because I didn't know how to make a training program on my own. As for diet - 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat and anywhere from 1600-2000 cals (depending on day if I was lifting or not - ate more on days I lifted, 3x a week, less on days I rested). I'm 5'5" and I weigh 158 lbs currently (though I got down to 149 in October last year but have kinda "bulked" the past few months, unintentionally, heh). I'm 33 years old.
    Thanks for responding. Is NROL4W a book? I am even more impressed to hear you did this at home. Where did you find the pre-written programs?The Internet and here and there?
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    Don't listen to these men. Hire a FEMALE personal trainer and talk to her. Men don't understand a woman's body. It's not the same. Women's bodies are even designed to hold on to fat in preparation for childbirth. It doesn't know there isn't a famine around the corner. Women even have certain days of the month they should be buffing and certain days of the month they should be boosting. It's based on hormones. Your diet and your workouts should be based on that. How many men can explain that one?

1. Lose more weight.
    2. Start strength training
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.

- FROM A WOMAN.

ETA:

1. What in the HALE is buffing and boosting??
    2. OP if you want guidance as to why you haven't lost weight during a year of exercising, you should open your diary, providing that it is accurate.
    No one can really comment

^ Another vote for strength training from a woman. The basics are the same for males and females.

Cant help without seeing your diary but I would add:

4. Small calorie deficit

5. Enough protein.
    I am the original poster of this comment here that said, "don't listen to men" and that "women hold more fat" I also added in the post below that I forgot to mention to LIFT WEIGHTS and suggested it. It just didn't get copied along with this quote. I am a woman too. Yes, lift weights. And yes the basics of lifting are the same. That isn't what i was referring to. I said it is harder for women to lose fat based on the fact that we are women and we have babies. I am only talking about women of childbearing age who have not gone through menopause. We hold onto fat in constant preparation for getting pregnant. I said men don't "get that". I said they lose fat easier. For one they have more muscle, two they don't have bodies which hold onto fat for the event they get pregnant. Again STRENGTH TRAIN. There are a lot of sloppy readers here so quick to post a comment without reading .

How sexist are you? Men dont understand that women hold more fat? Are you serious? Get a female trainer? WTF?

Yes women hold more fat than men. We also look leaner at higher BF% Win for us.

Changes nothing about how to retain LBM while losing body fat. Exactly the same process for men and women at all times of the month.
    AT the time I originally wrote this 2 hrs ago, there were two men on here saying sexist things so I told her not to listen to the men. I meant "the two men posting". YOu are very late in coming into the conversation to be commenting on a conversation which occurred hours ago. Second of all, you are 100% incorrect that a female's hormones do not play a part in what type of workout we should be doing and how many calories or carbs we should be eating at certain days of the month. 100% for a fact incorrect. There is a bucket load of information on this. Michele Berger wrote a book on it. It is called, "hormonal timing" If you want to educate yourself on it, then please do so BEFORE saying anything else about something in which you know nothing about. Once you have done your homework IF you care to do your homework I'd love to hear your comments. Otherwise give me evidence that it is exactly the same for men as it is for women regardless of what time of month it is and prove me wrong. Either way, the ball is in your court. I have done extensive research and I don't care what you chose to do from here on out.

What sexist things....please quote them.

How about you providing evidence that we need to train to our 'hormones' to be effective?
    This is the FOURTH time I have posted your evidence. It is in a book and all over the Internet by the name of "Hormonal Timing". You want me to do copy and pastes from websites and the book? Do you know how pointless that would be? Wouldn't you rather Google it and make your own decision. And then you want me to respond about the sexist comments I claim a man said 2 hours ago? Why do I have to explain this to you? Does this have ANYTHING to do with this subject of "back fat?" If my opinion of two men two hours ago was that they said something I took as sexist. Then that is MY business. It really is none of yours. You're only asking, bc you are looking for drama. The men are responsible for what they said. I am responsible for how I took at and you have nothing to do with that.
    Since when does book & Internet = evidence? Where's the science? Do you know what that means?
    YOu will find evidence in the before and after photos and the statements by the doctors and personal trainers and the testimonials. Go to BuffMother.com for a start. She also has a site on Facebook. You can look at the evidence and decide for yourself. I can't help you. You can't believe everything you read. YOu have to do your own research. Ever heard this one, "everything you read on the Internet is true. They can't post anything on the Internet which isn't true. I know this bc I read it on the Internet.". If you want your science, if you want your evidence, you seek it. It isn't about having things handed to you, it is about discovery and deciding for yourself what is true and not true. Do you know what that means?
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    "conversating" :laugh: Always cracks me up
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding. Is NROL4W a book? I am even more impressed to hear you did this at home. Where did you find the pre-written programs?The Internet and here and there?

NROL4W - New Rules of Lifting for Women - yes, it is a book. A very insightful book for women who fear the iron. ;) Explains a lot of things and breaks down the ever perpetuating myths. Plus contains a workout program with detailed instruction on the lifts. However, I prefer Starting Strength over NROL4W. There were a lot of accessory lifts in that program and it was just overkill for a beginner to the lifting world, IMHO. Compounds are where it's at!! They'll hit total body, more bang for the buck. As you progress, add accessory lifts. Lots of information and training programs out there. But Starting Strength and StrongLifts 5x5 are very popular here on MFP. They are not the end all, be all though.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    "conversating" :laugh: Always cracks me up
    I know. It isn't even a real word, but I like the way it sounds.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

NROL4W - New Rules of Lifting for Women - yes, it is a book. A very insightful book for women who fear the iron. ;) Explains a lot of things and breaks down the ever perpetuating myths. Plus contains a workout program with detailed instruction on the lifts. However, I prefer Starting Strength over NROL4W. There were a lot of accessory lifts in that program and it was just overkill for a beginner to the lifting world, IMHO. Compounds are where it's at!! They'll hit total body, more bang for the buck. As you progress, add accessory lifts. Lots of information and training programs out there. But Starting Strength and StrongLifts 5x5 are very popular here on MFP. They are not the end all, be all though.
    Thanks again. I am going to buy the book. It looks interesting. I appreciate your help.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Dizzle I think you were the only person capable of bringing logic back to this thread.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

I have never done strong lifts 5x5. Buff Mother (the lady I follow recommends that). Not all of the time, but she shakes it up with that. I have always been afraid of it. Will need to expand my horizons to see change.