For those of you that invite others to objectify you:

Options

Replies

• SweetTeaAndCutoffs
    SweetTeaAndCutoffs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think it's just for fun....I don't think too much into these silly games. It's really just to pass time while I'm bored. If I was offended by it, I wouldn't be here.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    firstly because beauty is in the eye of the beholder

My teacher says true beauty is on the inside
    That's just something ugly people say... ~quote from Liar Liar

tumblr_lw2isbOQ1N1qa7tl2o1_r1_250.gif
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I see what you are saying, but the way I have always looked at the internet is like its a made up world. If I post on those topics then it in no way affects my real life and in real life I would never do things like that, so if someone objectifies me on here it doesn't affect me in anyway unless I let it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i guess you could compare it to the suggested link between violent video games and violent crimes. if a guy is used to women accepting lewd comments online, is he more likely to make lewd comments to the woman in the bar? if we encourage it online, are we creating a problem offline? even if you decide the theory is horse balls, you'd have to be an ignoramous of the highest order to not give it some thought.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    'People' also need tougher skin when it comes to teasing and not take crap so seriously.
    classic playground justification.

That's a fair point, how about my original comment?
  • Shauncho49
    Shauncho49 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    yeah...you're kinda over-thinking it. Some people need that encouragement...to know that someone out there, somewhere, thinks they're hot or cute or whatever. Some people have never felt that before and I don't think we should take that away from them. To the OP, you're quite attractive...I'm sure you've heard it at least a handful of times if not many more. Some people have never felt or or been told by anyone they're attractive.

<
    Exhibit A...this mug. You think I get told I'm attractive by anyone other than my wife?...never have in my entire life have I heard that term used to describe me. Some people don't have someone to tell them they're attractive and would like to hear it from someone, sometime in their life.

And it also kinda sucks that you assume the majority of the population on MFP is weak-willed enough to be "trained" into thinking they can objectify everyone. If anyone is a regular here enough to where they're participating in such forum discussions, they are DEFINITELY not weak-willed. As we all know it takes dedication to our own set of personal values in order to achieve the fitness level of our dreams.

OP, next time, think before you speak out loud...please, for the sake of all of us. :)
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    People are desperate for attention. I judge them for their stupidity, so let them blissfully judge themselves.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think it's just for fun....I don't think too much into these silly games. It's really just to pass time while I'm bored. If I was offended by it, I wouldn't be here.

Oh and clearly since you're not offended by it then I'm going to just go ahead and jump to the conclusion that it's because you lack intelligence and self esteem. Obviously you don't know how to make these decisions for yourself because any man/woman that enjoys hearing that somebody may like to "bang" them is some sort of pervert, degenerate or has daddy issues.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    i guess you could compare it to the suggested link between violent video games and violent crimes. if a guy is used to women accepting lewd comments online, is he more likely to make lewd comments to the woman in the bar? if we encourage it online, are we creating a problem offline? even if you decide the theory is horse balls, you'd have to be an ignoramous of the highest order to not give it some thought.

If we train men all their lives that they can expect women to be beautiful sexual objects whose primary goal and utility is to be attractive, that's how men will treat women.

And, uh.... that's exactly what happens.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    'People' also need tougher skin when it comes to teasing and not take crap so seriously.
    classic playground justification.

That's a fair point, how about my original comment?
    i'm too lazy to go look for it. there's almost 200 posts in this thread.
    what was your original comment?
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm perfectly fine with being objectified....and banged.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well, people can comment on your looks and think you are more than how you look, no? There are plenty of people I truly care about and also "rate". This is a fitness site and people are going to discuss their bodies. In any case, the people you seem to be concerned about-- the one that objectify and find no value in others except for aesthetic values-- will objectify others whether it is invited or not and they will most likely continue to do so whether others object to it.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

Oh and clearly since you're not offended by it then I'm going to just go ahead and jump to the conclusion that it's because you lack intelligence and self esteem. Obviously you don't know how to make these decisions for yourself because any man/woman that enjoys hearing that somebody may like to "bang" them is some sort of pervert, degenerate or has daddy issues.
    as a degenerate pervert with daddy issues, i take offence at that.

If we train men all their lives that they can expect women to be beautiful sexual objects whose primary goal and utility is to be attractive, that's how men will treat women.

And, uh.... that's exactly what happens.
    and that's all society trains women expect. getting a U R HAWT! from a perv counts as a win.
    and here, right -here- is the point where i resist getting into a rant about fairy tales.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    6.98943928/10.6
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    6.5/10 WNB
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    6.5/10 WNB

U R HAWT!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't really see a huge problem with the date, bang, marry, etc. posts. People post it under "Chit-chat, fun, and games" and they are amusing to read.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    6.5/10 WNB

U R HAWT!

Please do not objectify me.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    It's nice to be objectified every now and then, and if you don't think so, you should live a little more :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't really see a huge problem with the date, bang, marry, etc. posts. People post it under "Chit-chat, fun, and games" and they are amusing to read.

10/10
This discussion has been closed.