40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Beeps, happy lifting day!!!! :drinker:

Rm1000, thanks for the info.

Well, no Bikram, hubby really wants us to cut spending until this thing gets resolved. :mad: :grumble: So I did P90X yoga X at home, it is a tough one, 90mins, so it's all good. I also did 100 plié squats from my booty challenge. :laugh: I have my granddaughter for the weekend so I will be busy busy busy.

Have a great one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!

Beeps - happy lifting!

alf - thanks! P90X yoga? that must be a kick *kitten* session! =)

Marylutz - I don't feel that any 'program' is worth paying for, eating whole foods, cutting down processed, packaged food and watching your calorie intake is really all you need IMHO.

RM - is it the tape or the idea of having the tape? lol I have actually heard great things about it too

Exactly 1 year ago, I bought a size medium tankini and stood painfully still as I got my daughter to take pictures of me in it... my facial expression said it all! I just compared them with ones I had taken in it a week ago, my jaw dropped... absolutely crazy!! I still have a bit to go until it fits properly. I am still 30 pounds away from my goal weight and have squishy skin here and there but WOW, I am so glad that I have been taking these shots along the way because it really has put my weightloss into perspective.

Anyone just starting out, take pictures NOW, then take pictures again in 3 & 6 months... seeing a number on a scale is nothing compared to seeing it in a full body picture!!

Oh, and measurements! =)
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good day Cool People and happy Friday!

I just want to share that I am still on track with my C25k. I have one more day in Week 3. Honestly when I saw that I had to run for 3 straight minutes this week....I thought I couldn't do it, boy was I wrong. It got me thinking about all the stuff I can do now with 25 lbs off of me.

- I could outrun/outlast a zombie if needed
    - I could hang from a ledge long enough for help to get to me
    - I could lift/drag an adult person away from a burning car/bldg

Oh and let's not forget....I can look up calories faster than the average person. :)
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Ill give you the rest..but its a known fact zombies never get tired. :(
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,972 Member
    Options
    I take pictures EVERY SINGLE MONTH. Why wait? The changes are THAT dramatic, frankly!

Alf - don't you have your own $$ to spend?

I have company at my house....which is EXACTLY why I'd rather be at work!
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Ill give you the rest..but its a known fact zombies never get tired. :(

But they move real slow...at least the Walking Dead zombies do. World War Z zombies are freaky fast. So if I pace myself, no worries.....I can find a secure place before they get me. :)
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    Me too! Me too! I love reading this group...so inspirational. I'm sure I have the same story as everyone else. Yo-yo dieting on every program under the sun; trying every pill and "quick fix" out there. Then...a revelation...it will only take hard work, eating less and moving more! I feel like at 43 I have finally accepted the truth and am willing to do the work.

I started about 2 months ago with the gym 5x a week; 3 days of heavy lifting and 2 days cardio. About 3 weeks ago I started tracking my calories. I never thought I would sustain a gym routine, especially after cardio'ing myself to death over the years. I love the weight lifting. Makes me feel like I could conquer the world! And, you know, I think I walk a little taller!

In any event, I am going to get myself into some cute outfits by next Summer! :smile:
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I need to stand up and be counted with the 40+ Club!

Doing this so I can keep up with my 8 year old son, get in better health for myself and get the better body that I haven't seen in almost 30 years! I was slender in high school but not by high school standards, I'm shooting for slender again! :smile:
  • Helsybels
    Helsybels Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to join in! I'm 42,mother of one 3 year old, I work at a desk all day. I was fit as a kid, gymnastics, then did some climbing and mountain-biking over the years but weight always a bit over where I really wanted. Anyway, when I got pregnant and after having Zak I stopped really doing any exercise. I was feeling rubbish, aches and pains all over. So, I decided back in April to sort it out, joined a gym and did C25K, wow, I never have been a runner but this got me moving, I loved the way it built up. Then I got a strength routine, squats, step ups, pull ups, push ups etc. I have a long way to go but it progresses.

Initially it was all about the scales but now with a few pounds off I'm maintaining a small deficit most days but focussing on getting fit. Feeling fit makes me feel strong, happy and confident and I want to keep going. My weight and shape I hope to continually improve. Sorting out my neck, shoulder and hip issues with a really good physio/biomechanics guy has helped too-being fit enough to get fit!

Have a great weekend fellow 40+ers!
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    alf - I hope everyone gets back to work soon and things get back to "normal" for you and your family.

We had our first snow of the year in Denver. It was very light, but clearly it's already time to be thinking about winter sports!

Love the inspirational stories from this group!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    snow?!?!? OH NO!!

Cardio on schedule for tomorrow-then my son's basketball game. And then out for chinese food for supper. Yum
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, I can pack away A LOT of chinese food when I want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I can pack away Chinese food too.
    I can pack away gobs of food if I choose to... Not gonna choose to anymore!!

Oh, except steamed broccoli. I'll ALWAYS eat gobs of that.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    By the way... How do I get to be one of the over-40 cool kids??
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    LOL Beeps! Sounds like you enjoyed your dinner =) I'm a sucker for Shanghai noodles!!

Dame' you have joined!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Me too! Me too! I love reading this group...so inspirational. I'm sure I have the same story as everyone else. Yo-yo dieting on every program under the sun; trying every pill and "quick fix" out there. Then...a revelation...it will only take hard work, eating less and moving more! I feel like at 43 I have finally accepted the truth and am willing to do the work.

I started about 2 months ago with the gym 5x a week; 3 days of heavy lifting and 2 days cardio. About 3 weeks ago I started tracking my calories. I never thought I would sustain a gym routine, especially after cardio'ing myself to death over the years. I love the weight lifting. Makes me feel like I could conquer the world! And, you know, I think I walk a little taller!

In any event, I am going to get myself into some cute outfits by next Summer! :smile:

Amiclv, welcome!!! Great job!!! There is only one way to do it and that is the hardest way, eating healthy and exercising. And yes, weight training is the way to go!!! Congrats!!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hi, I want to join in! I'm 42,mother of one 3 year old, I work at a desk all day. I was fit as a kid, gymnastics, then did some climbing and mountain-biking over the years but weight always a bit over where I really wanted. Anyway, when I got pregnant and after having Zak I stopped really doing any exercise. I was feeling rubbish, aches and pains all over. So, I decided back in April to sort it out, joined a gym and did C25K, wow, I never have been a runner but this got me moving, I loved the way it built up. Then I got a strength routine, squats, step ups, pull ups, push ups etc. I have a long way to go but it progresses.

Initially it was all about the scales but now with a few pounds off I'm maintaining a small deficit most days but focussing on getting fit. Feeling fit makes me feel strong, happy and confident and I want to keep going. My weight and shape I hope to continually improve. Sorting out my neck, shoulder and hip issues with a really good physio/biomechanics guy has helped too-being fit enough to get fit!

Have a great weekend fellow 40+ers!

Helsybels, you are doing awesome!!! Keep up the good work! Shoulder and hip issues, ouch, that sounds like me. What kind of treatment/therapy are you doing? I have arthritis in all joints and a labral tear in my left hip, tendonitis in my left shoulder. I went to physical therapy for a while but one can't go to therapy forever. I would say the issues are "under control" but I am so active that they do act up once in a while. I just deal with the occasional bothersome/pain and keep on trucking. The worst thing I can do is to sit and do nothing. :flowerforyou:
  • char155
    char155 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow. Love this group. I'm 41 and about to be a grandmother in about 2 wks and that alone has made me realize I need to get back on track. I was down18 lbs 8 months ago and ate it all back! So depressing, but that's ok....I lost it once and I can lose it again. Going to try and exercise every day, so I won't reach for crappy food when I'm hungry and stressed out. I want to be there for my grandson and daughter in the best shape of my life :)
  • alf1163
    Options
    Char, welcome!! Soon to be a Grandma, awesome! My granddaughter is 5 yrs old. I just love her to pieces!!! Good luck to you!!! You can do it!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I want to be a hot grandma! What I mean is that when I DO become a grandma, I wanna be a hot one. Or at least one that can keep up. My sons will be 22 and 26 in a few weeks and neither one is ready to have kids yet, so I have time. :-)

I'm 45 but my brain doesn't seem to realize that. :-). I look at my sons and wonder how it is that they're catching up to me. HA! Silly, right??