Last 10 lb CHALLENGE!!! Join me?

Options

Replies

• FitShark
    FitShark Posts: 68
    Options
    The idea of eating more to loose seems odd, but if you are working out and burning those calories, and making healthy, "low fat, whole foods" choices, it works. I have lost 2 lbs in just 1 1/2 weels of really tracking myself here.....(thanks for the encouragement by the way, Momandwife!!! :flowerforyou: )

I think my cals are supposed be around 1300 daily too, but with MY exercise, they go to almost 1700-1800; and I find it actually very filling to eat almost all of that, in a healthy way...it takes some planning, and working on the menu choices, but is do-able.....keep working at it!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating more to loose seems odd, but if you are working out and burning those calories, and making healthy, "low fat, whole foods" choices, it works. I have lost 2 lbs in just 1 1/2 weels of really tracking myself here.....(thanks for the encouragement by the way, Momandwife!!! :flowerforyou: )

I think my cals are supposed be around 1300 daily too, but with MY exercise, they go to almost 1700-1800; and I find it actually very filling to eat almost all of that, in a healthy way...it takes some planning, and working on the menu choices, but is do-able.....keep working at it!

Banks has written extensively on breaking a plateau by eating more! I was stuck for a long time, and my body had definitely gone into starvation mode. If anyone is stuck, and truly eating low cal, it might be time to up the calories!
    :smile:
  • FitShark
    Options
    [/quote]

Banks has written extensively on breaking a plateau by eating more! I was stuck for a long time, and my body had definitely gone into starvation mode. If anyone is stuck, and truly eating low cal, it might be time to up the calories!
    [/quote]

AJCM: what author is this? and what books? thanks for the info?
  • AJCM
    Options

Haha! I hope Banks is flattered by this thread!!!

Banks is a MFP success story, who has researched and read extensively about diet and fitness (probably like most of us on here) however he takes it a step further and writes various posts for us, on various topics! He's pretty great - very knowledgable, intellgient, and well written - and his synthesis of information helps him to give advice that is tailored to different situations. I'm pretty well researched, but if I get stuck, I mail Banks!

He basically confirms that the body goes into starvation mode, and the metabolism slows down to accomodate the "new lifestyle" of few calories. We know that two basic things change metabolism - eating and exercising - so the general idea is that if you can do these two things frequently through out the day, the metabolism will be revved up. He's also written a bit about calorie zig zagging (Jillian Michael's also writes about this) and how you can "keep the body guessing" by changing your calories everyday. Some people take it to extremes, by doing 700 cals one day, and then 1200 the next, and then 2000 the next, but others just mix it up with a 300 cal differential.

I hope some of that is helpful...
    :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Can I join your club?
  • AJCM
    Options
    Can I join your club?

Of course!!! Haha - we're not much of a club - just supporting each other as we try and lose the stubborn last lbs!!! If you're losing, say, 3 lbs a week, get out of here! (kidding - but we'll be jealous).

What's your story? A few lbs to go?
    :flowerforyou:
  • hnlymark
    Options
    Can I join your club?

Of course!!! Haha - we're not much of a club - just supporting each other as we try and lose the stubborn last lbs!!! If you're losing, say, 3 lbs a week, get out of here! (kidding - but we'll be jealous).

While I'm new here, I've been exercising and trying to get back in shape since fall of last year. I started out at about 240 and, last I checked (Tuesday) I'm down to 194. The BMI thingy says I need to be around 185, so I'm theoretically in the last ten pounds. That said, I am also trying to bulk up muscle wise. I've always been twiggy (is that a word?). So, I also started measuring!

Today I am gonna eat all my calories with an emphasis on protein and exercise for an hour as follows:

Bench Press 3 sets of 6 reps
    Bent Over Row 3 sets of 6 reps
    Tricep Press 3 sets of 6 reps
    Seated Bicep Curl 3 sets of 6 reps
    Bent Arm Barbell Pullover 3 sets of 6 reps
    Batwing 3 sets of 10 reps
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press 3 sets of 8 reps
    Standing Barbell Curl 3 sets of 6 reps
    Military Press 3 sets of 6 reps
    Crunches 3 sets of 30 reps

I rest one minute between sets. This has been my routine for about two weeks now (every other day). I don't do any cardio right now 'cause I had to give up on running due to knee issues. I haven't found a replacement yet. I need to start working my legs, but my knees keep me wondering what I can and cannot do.

In fact, Ive got the kiddies watchin' a movie, and I'm going to lift right now!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Can I join your club?

While I'm new here, I've been exercising and trying to get back in shape since fall of last year. I started out at about 240 and, last I checked (Tuesday) I'm down to 194. The BMI thingy says I need to be around 185, so I'm theoretically in the last ten pounds. That said, I am also trying to bulk up muscle wise. I've always been twiggy (is that a word?). So, I also started measuring!

Today I am gonna eat all my calories with an emphasis on protein and exercise for an hour as follows:

Bench Press 3 sets of 6 reps
    Bent Over Row 3 sets of 6 reps
    Tricep Press 3 sets of 6 reps
    Seated Bicep Curl 3 sets of 6 reps
    Bent Arm Barbell Pullover 3 sets of 6 reps
    Batwing 3 sets of 10 reps
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press 3 sets of 8 reps
    Standing Barbell Curl 3 sets of 6 reps
    Military Press 3 sets of 6 reps
    Crunches 3 sets of 30 reps

I rest one minute between sets. This has been my routine for about two weeks now (every other day). I don't do any cardio right now 'cause I had to give up on running due to knee issues. I haven't found a replacement yet. I need to start working my legs, but my knees keep me wondering what I can and cannot do.

In fact, Ive got the kiddies watchin' a movie, and I'm going to lift right now!

Sounds like a great plan!! And BIG CONGRATS on all the weight you've lost! That is amazing! You will lose this last little bit in no time! Have a great day!
  • littlespoon
    Options
    Well how hilarious! I ate almost 1800 calories yesterday (and for the first time in ages, Fetta and Camembert cheese played a big part), went for a 60 minute walk at a brisk pace (apparently only 216 calories though) and LOST 100grams!!

Now I know 100 grams is very minimal, but considering....I was very surprised!!
    Roll on eating!!! (Healthier than that obviously, but still eating!!)
  • FitShark
    Options
    [

Haha! I hope Banks is flattered by this thread!!!

Banks is a MFP success story, who has researched and read extensively about diet and fitness (probably like most of us on here) however he takes it a step further and writes various posts for us, on various topics! He's pretty great - very knowledgable, intellgient, and well written - and his synthesis of information helps him to give advice that is tailored to different situations. I'm pretty well researched, but if I get stuck, I mail Banks!

He basically confirms that the body goes into starvation mode, and the metabolism slows down to accomodate the "new lifestyle" of few calories. We know that two basic things change metabolism - eating and exercising - so the general idea is that if you can do these two things frequently through out the day, the metabolism will be revved up. He's also written a bit about calorie zig zagging (Jillian Michael's also writes about this) and how you can "keep the body guessing" by changing your calories everyday. Some people take it to extremes, by doing 700 cals one day, and then 1200 the next, and then 2000 the next, but others just mix it up with a 300 cal differential.

I hope some of that is helpful...
    :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

yes, thanks! and Banks, wherever u are right now, thx2u2! :tongue: Time for a wake-up call, Metabloism!.....I like working out with P90X system because of the different workouts, and "muscle confusion" theory. I makes sense that the metabolism will follw suit; if you keep depriving the system, or eating the same things, in the same ammounts, it will accomodate that and slow down...plateau, if you will.

Off to log in the rest of yesterday, and get busy with today....lots to do! Have a great day EveryOne!
  • momandwife
    momandwife Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My Tuesday weigh in .......

137.0 ...... YEAH!! I measured today too and was down a little bit more in a couple places!!

Actually (since I'm addicted to my scale) ...... the last couple mornings were better than today's weight!! Sunday morning I was 136.5 and Monday morning I was 135.5!!!! I think that was a fluke though!! I must admit though ..... it was REALLY nice to see those numbers on the scale though ..... now I know that they are within reach!! :happy:

And ..... more good news ....... I went shopping today ...... I bought SIZE 8 pants ..... yes, I said 8!!!!!!! I haven't been in an 8 since high school ......16 years ago!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!! I must admit, I did a little happy dance in the dressing room!!

That is definitely motivation for myself to KEEP GOING!!!! I hope that my motivation rubs off on others .... honestly ..... if I can do it ANYONE can!!! :flowerforyou:
  • hnlymark
    Options
    Hello everyone, newbie here. I have been busy with company (my sister and her family are down visiting for the week). So, I weighed in Monday and am just now posting the results; I went from 194 to 192. I have been sitting around between 195 and 200 for awhile now, so this is good. How do I celebrate? We went to the Lost River Cave today and on the return trip stopped off in Franklin for, of all things, Pizza Hut. How about a 1500 calorie meal! I am such a dumbyhead. Well, I skipped dinner and made sure I worked out, so I only went over my calories by around 150, but, as we all know, this is not the way to do it. I am not gonna pick on myself too hard though; a good time was had by all. And I rode my motorcycle, which always manages to put a smile on my face. Maybe I can be the inspiration for how NOT to do it for this week!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My Tuesday weigh in .......

137.0 ...... YEAH!! I measured today too and was down a little bit more in a couple places!!

Actually (since I'm addicted to my scale) ...... the last couple mornings were better than today's weight!! Sunday morning I was 136.5 and Monday morning I was 135.5!!!! I think that was a fluke though!! I must admit though ..... it was REALLY nice to see those numbers on the scale though ..... now I know that they are within reach!! :happy:

And ..... more good news ....... I went shopping today ...... I bought SIZE 8 pants ..... yes, I said 8!!!!!!! I haven't been in an 8 since high school ......16 years ago!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!! I must admit, I did a little happy dance in the dressing room!!

That is definitely motivation for myself to KEEP GOING!!!! I hope that my motivation rubs off on others .... honestly ..... if I can do it ANYONE can!!! :flowerforyou:

That's great! Congratulations!! I know how excited I was when I fit into a size 8 as well. And good job on losing more "surface area"!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Everyone! I'm just dropping in to congratulate all of you on your progress!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Greetings Everyone! I'm just dropping in to congratulate all of you on your progress!

Thanks to you, and congrats to everyone as well!!! Good work ladies on reaching your goals! Woo hoo!!!
  • food_junkie
    Options
    I am finally down half a pound! Haha crazyness..these last few just seem to be sticking to me like white on rice. 119.5 lbs. I need to really up my calories (the only thing I haven't tried) but I am so scared! Oh well, I'll figure it out..hope everyone is doing marvelous!
  • AJCM
    Options
    I am finally down half a pound! Haha crazyness..these last few just seem to be sticking to me like white on rice. 119.5 lbs. I need to really up my calories (the only thing I haven't tried) but I am so scared! Oh well, I'll figure it out..hope everyone is doing marvelous!

You are looking GREAT!!!!! The worst that can happen if you up your calories to your maintenance calories, is that you will maintain, right?!?! Go for it!!!

Good luck and let us know what happens!
  • momandwife
    Options
    Well ...... I finally bought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and all I have to say is ....... WOW!!!

I have only done it twice (level one, of course) and boy can I feel it!!!! I am using 3 pound hand weights (because that is all that I have right now) and my arms DEFINITELY get tired during it!!

Amanda - you have been telling me for a long time to get it and all I have to say is THANK YOU for pursuading me!!!! I love it so far and I haven't even seen levels 2 or 3 yet!! Do you do it everyday? every other day? or what do you do?? Also - I do not have a HRM so I'm not sure how many calories I'm burning doing it (it definitely gets my heart rate up and I sweat a lot during it) .... so what would you consider this - High Impact Aerobics?? I think that's what I put it as and I believe it said that I burned 145 calories - is that right? or close? I guess my next big purchase is going to be a HRM!!

:tongue: :flowerforyou: :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Well ...... I finally bought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and all I have to say is ....... WOW!!!

I have only done it twice (level one, of course) and boy can I feel it!!!! I am using 3 pound hand weights (because that is all that I have right now) and my arms DEFINITELY get tired during it!!

Amanda - you have been telling me for a long time to get it and all I have to say is THANK YOU for pursuading me!!!! I love it so far and I haven't even seen levels 2 or 3 yet!! Do you do it everyday? every other day? or what do you do?? Also - I do not have a HRM so I'm not sure how many calories I'm burning doing it (it definitely gets my heart rate up and I sweat a lot during it) .... so what would you consider this - High Impact Aerobics?? I think that's what I put it as and I believe it said that I burned 145 calories - is that right? or close? I guess my next big purchase is going to be a HRM!!

I LOVE the Shred!!! Glad you got it!!! I was *planning* on doing it everyday, but then summer came, and I got lazy (my exercise has been swimming with the kids, and chasing them, with a run here and there). I was doing the Shred every other day, because I was finding myself a little sore and needed a rest day (I was using 10lb hand weights (20lbs total) and found my upper body took a beating).

I think once I get home from the cottage (Sept 1) that I'm going to do it everyday! Would you be up for starting that actual "30 Day Shred" with me? The idea (according to Jillian) is that if you do the video every day for 30 days you lose 20 lbs!!! I was hoping to lose 5 or 8 in 30 days... what do you think? We could check in here? I think that might help motivate me to get my butt in gear!

Oh - which levels - you are supposed to "progress" through them (right?) but I was thinking that I might alternate them to give the opposite muscle groups a break! Another tip: after the first couple of time of doing it, I used my MP3 player instead of listening to the cheesy DVD music! It made the workout more enjoyable!
  • momandwife
    Options

I LOVE the Shred!!! Glad you got it!!! I was *planning* on doing it everyday, but then summer came, and I got lazy (my exercise has been swimming with the kids, and chasing them, with a run here and there). I was doing the Shred every other day, because I was finding myself a little sore and needed a rest day (I was using 10lb hand weights (20lbs total) and found my upper body took a beating).

I think once I get home from the cottage (Sept 1) that I'm going to do it everyday! Would you be up for starting that actual "30 Day Shred" with me? The idea (according to Jillian) is that if you do the video every day for 30 days you lose 20 lbs!!! I was hoping to lose 5 or 8 in 30 days... what do you think? We could check in here? I think that might help motivate me to get my butt in gear!

Oh - which levels - you are supposed to "progress" through them (right?) but I was thinking that I might alternate them to give the opposite muscle groups a break! Another tip: after the first couple of time of doing it, I used my MP3 player instead of listening to the cheesy DVD music! It made the workout more enjoyable!

Great idea on the 30 Day Shred Challenge - I just posted on that thread too!! I might try level 2 today - just to get used to it and then alternate once the challenge really starts in September. I agree with using the MP3 - I'll have to try that!!

Oh - and what do you log it under - do you think I'm right in logging it under high impact aerobics or should it be something else? Does 145 calories burned sound right - the way I sweat and feel my heart rate up it feels like it should be like 500 calories ....... just kidding (I wish)!! :tongue: