Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Also, regarding the choice of ads on MFP, it's still directly related to YOUR browsing/search history because just a few minutes ago I saw an ad by Amazon for cycling gloves, which I just happened to search for, on Amazon, just yesterday. ;)

Generally, that is true. However, I use a "private" browsing window via Firefox so the ads for me are just random, but sometimes they are for crazy things or super ugly shoes I would never wear so I get offended and feel like it is trying to tempt me to do searches on it so that it will remember them!
    Agreed - right now I have golf, Advil and sleep clinic ads - none of which I've searched for, so I assume it's just random ads.

I only see ads on mobile, and the one I get most often is Ibotta...which is not compatible with my phone.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I am really upset this morning because my degu is dying, I am sure of it now.....he has almost completely stopped eating and now his fur is falling out.....I was up at 4am hand feeding him corn flakes but have to leave for work now and am terrified he is going to die by himself in his cage while I am not home....I can't stop crying......its gonna be a long day, or few days, every time I have to leave the house.....

That's just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. Losing a pet, no matter how or when, is always so hard.

I have an indoor/outdoor (mostly outdoor) cat that I haven't seen in almost 2 weeks. We live in kind of a wooded area so I think an animal got him. I was thinking something happened last week when I didn't see him, but now that almost a whole week has passed and I still haven't seen him, I'm pretty sure he's gone for good. He was my boy and I'm sad I'll probably never get to hold him again. :'(:'(:'(

So far my little guy is hanging on, but still not really eating anything but hand fed corn flakes.....

Sorry about your kitty!! That is so hard!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    Caught up!

I'm not too worried about this parenting thing. I'm worried about the nitty, grittiness of sleep deprivation and exhaustion that comes with the early days, but beyond ensuring the kid's physical well-being, I feel like the actual 'parenting' part will be okay. I'm a decent person. My husband is a decent person. My parents were decent people and my siblings and I turned out fine. Not a lot of drama, not a lot of scares and we all put up with one another to varying degrees. Sure I expect there will be arguments and frustrations and bumps in the road, but I'm not aiming for perfection as I think that probably doesn't exist.

Am I being too blasé about the whole thing?!

I'm not caught up yet but I think you are perfectly sane with your idea of parenting. The parenting part is easy. The exhaustion is the hard part in those early days but you'll do fabulous! :)

I have 4 wonderful children and I think that having kids is awesome. ...minus the sleep deprivation. My 3 older children are from my first marriage and my youngest son is from my current husband.

I have very simple rules. You can be whoever you are. Absolute unconditional love for that... I always tell my kids to just be whoever you are. I already got to make my choices. This life is theirs and the only person they have to make happy is themselves. To me it's super important that they are confident in my undying love and support for them as I have a 13 year old daughter who's struggling to come out.... and her actual father is a homophobe who helicopter parents. I have custody but he's always blowing up my phone about everything. Ugh.

Anyway, my only real rule is that my house must be a sanctuary for everyone. No violence. That means no brothers smacking each other, pushing, whatever. ..no violence. I have a really strong belief that your home must be safe.

I'm struggling to go to college (at 38) and my parenting confession is: I wish I waited to have kids and went up school first. Maybe not really but it is sooooo hard to go to school when you're the glue. Literally, I feel like the glue that's holding everything together.

I love my family but I should have went to college after high school. It would have been so much easier. I'm super tired all the time.

It is HARD. I cried and asked myself what I was doing many time but please keep on it. You'll get there!

Good for you on supporting your kids too. I agree. My mom is still disappointed in me because I'm not a mini-her.I Encourage my kids to find their own path, find their own way. I hope your daughter feels confidence from your support.

Thank you for saying all of that. I just keep pushing forward and one day I will make it. It's taking forever though.

That's why I encourage my kids to do their own thing, too! Good for you, too! Nothing like being a huge disappointment for not being exactly like your parents. :/
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    All this talk about kids, and now I would like to bop my 19 year old daughter in the head......boys are SO much easier.....

That is true in my experience as well. What did she do?

She has been home for school from a month, and I am already having to harp her to get her crap done, and then she gets all bitchy like I am somehow annoying her, when I am the one that is really annoyed.....the first month went well, now I am going to be counting down for the next three months til she leaves......

Do you mean stuff around the house? Or do you mean she's a procrastinator at everything? Even at 19 it's hard to get kids to care about the condition of the house. My step-daughter was a horrendous slob. Now she has her own house and even with 2 babies she keeps it as clean and uncluttered as possible.

If she's a procrastinator at everything, then I sympathize. My youngest son is this way to an extreme. Waits until the very last minute to wash his uniforms for work, doesn't buy groceries until he is completely out, doesn't pay bills on time unless I or his girlfriend do it for him. Sigh. He's a really great person and I'm very proud of him, but he has yet to catch on that if he'd just do what he is supposed to do before it's too late he could save himself a lot of stress. In his defense he never puts off buying dog food for his doggies. They are always well supplied.

Oh, it is at everything....for example....she got hired at a job for the summer and had TWO WEEKS before the start date to get the paperwork in. At like midnight, the night before she started, she realized she had to go to the bank for her pay deposit slip. Not only did she leave it so late she could do nothing about it, but when she was gone, I saw the folder she was keeping everything in, and she literally did not fill out a single letter in the entire booklet of paperwork.

I have had to let her be on that stuff, and let it be her problem. However, my kids know when they live at home they have chores, I do not care what age, I am not a maid. So, I hate having to harp her that it is her turn to wash the towels, or to get some dishes done on her turn before midnight etc. Then she acts like I am annoying her because I get mad that something is not done a full day after it should have been done.....like seriously??
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    eMka11 wrote: »
    I am really upset this morning because my degu is dying, I am sure of it now.....he has almost completely stopped eating and now his fur is falling out.....I was up at 4am hand feeding him corn flakes but have to leave for work now and am terrified he is going to die by himself in his cage while I am not home....I can't stop crying......its gonna be a long day, or few days, every time I have to leave the house.....

so sorry to read this :( it must be hard for you. Hugs!

I really had no idea how difficult it is to deal with a loss of your pet until today - previously we had a dog when I was a teenager and it was put to sleep when I was already moved out of the family home and at uni so it did not get to me as much as it could. This morning I have taken our rabbit pet to be euthanised as Blackie broke his leg over the weekend; they suggested amputation last night during the consultation, but with his age and some other health issues we decided it would be kinder to put him to sleep. I was an emotional mess when I arrived at the clinic and had to kick myself hard afterwards to be able to drive back home. I couldn't face going to work today and spent the day at home finding distractions so I don't have to think about it.

:'(
    I am so sorry for your loss......
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    It is taking everything in me to hold myself together.. Next Friday will be the one year anniversary of my Mom's death. Somehow it still hasn't hit me as being real...like, I know she's gone, but something in me just will not accept it. I don't know how to move on. It doesn't help that 15 days after losing her, my 15 year old dog(my first "child") died. The past year has just been a giant roller coaster. I have never been an angry person and have never turned to food for comfort until all of this. I have thought so many times about going to speak to someone...but I just can't bring myself to do it.
    I have been lurking this thread from day one..keeping up every day... and I am overwhelmed by all the support you show each other and the friendships that have formed. I feel like I've gotten to know you all through all of your confessions/comments/advice/jokes...and I can relate to so many of you. I guess I felt I could let it all out here.

Sigh...

<3
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Mmmmm.... cookie dough. I made sour cream cookies not long ago and the raw dough was so much better than the baked cookies. I do love cookies though, especially soft and slightly gooey ones. Harder ones... not so much... but I'LL STILL EAT THEM!

:s
    I have never understood the concept of putting sour cream in sweets.....it is unnatural and upsetting lol
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I'm totally judging all this mint nonsense. Mint and chocolate do not belong together!
    Except here...
    307x00av17gn.jpg

*drool* I once had the idea to bake brownies by doing the following:

A. Spread half the brownie batter in the pan
    B. Cover the batter with a single layer of these beauties
    C. Spread the other half of the batter on top
    D. Layer them across the top

Sadly, when I went to put my idea into action, I couldn't find them at ANY of the supermarkets. Ugh.

OH MY GOD! You had me, I really want to know what happens. You must do it! I think they are mostly around at Christmas time.

I'm doing it. I'm going to hunt them down now and I'm going to do it...

Do it, do it! I NEED to know how this turns out. ;) I should hunt for them too....

http://lilluna.com/eggless-cookie-dough/?utm_source=feedburner&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_campaign=Feed:+lilluna/isXQ+(Lil'+Luna+-+All+Things+Good)

I made this recipe tonight & had 10 grams of it since that's all I could fit in my diary for today haha. Very sweet, but so much better than the mock chickpea dough even though that was still pretty decent.

When I REALLY want cookie dough, I make the real thing, raw eggs and all. ;) I tried out the mock one when I came across it because I was hoping it would be a lower calorie alternative--It wasn't, though! I could have had 3.5 cookies' worth of real dough for the same amount of calories, and the amount wasn't much more than that would be. And it tasted nothing like cookie dough *sobsob*

That's some SERIOUSLY amazing willpower. I could never stick to ten grams of cookie dough, whether it fit in my diary or not! ;) I'd probably eat half the dough...

This may get me judged... I have never understood the fascination with cookie dough! I gotta have my cookies baked - I like them still soft, but need them cooked.
    Endorsed.

Not a fan of cookie dough here either. I want it baked- I gag at the thought of the raw egg.

Same, but my husband loves it.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Confession: I am going to go home now and snuggle the crap out of my cat (even though she HATES it) after all this pet heartbreak.

Jealous! :'( give your kitty an extra squeeze for me.

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    [quseeote="jgriffit91;32570376"]I can say "it's a marathon, not a sprint" -- that I'm short and close to my goal weight, and trying to build strength at the same time, so even when I'm keeping to my diet and training perfectly it should take me a month+ to see non-trivial losses in scale weight (especially given that I have one of those crappy dial scales.) Even then, every time I step on the scale/look in the mirror/put on pants, I get scared that I'm not "really" losing fat because I'm mismeasuring my intake or metabolism somehow and that any results I notice are wishful thinking or daily fluctuations.

Do other people have this problem, or am I just neurotic?

It's not just you. I'm 5'2" and only have about 10 lbs to lose, and since I'm not perfect with my food every day it takes FOREVER to see any results. It is frustrating, but thankfully I like working out so I just keep going. Plus I tell myself that even if I can't see any changes, I know I'm healthier inside :)
    I was just saying that to my mum the other day! She asked if I have lost any weight and I was like "meh, I've lost 4lbs since January" and she was shocked how slow I'm losing considering all the hard work I'm putting in, but I said this time last year I smoked 10 a day - I've quit for 3 months, couldn't run for 30 seconds - now I'm on week 5 of couch to 5k, I could only do 1 length of front crawl, now I can do it for 90mins and swim 1,650m (50 lengths) in 45 mins, and I just feel a lot healthier! Obviously quitting smoking is a MAJOR factor in this, but I do feel a lot more able to do stuff and move in general.

yay! It's good to notice the non scale related victories.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    I need to say something that will lighten the heavy feeling I have today. The weather is NOT helping either.

In just over 6 weeks, my husband and I will be jetting down to Florida for a VERY belated honeymoon. I could NOT be more excited if I tried. I am also extremely nervous and anxious about the whole thing. I really don't know what to expect and that's very thrilling and nerve wracking at the same time. I'm excited to wear my new swimsuit and sun hat I just bought this weekend. It's very chic. I just need to get some cute maxi dresses and a cute swimsuit cover up to wear on the beach. I could also use some helpful tips about traveling by plane.

Thanks!
    Excited for you! How long is the flight? Have you never flown before?

In total, I think the flight is about 6 hours or so. We'll have a 2+ hour layover in Dallas so hopefully we'll have time to do some airport shopping. Is that a thing?! I have no idea. Anyway, I've only flown once when I was five...that was over 30 years ago so I don't really remember it too much. I just remember little packages of peanuts. :smiley:

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    All this talk about kids, and now I would like to bop my 19 year old daughter in the head......boys are SO much easier.....

That is true in my experience as well. What did she do?

She has been home for school from a month, and I am already having to harp her to get her crap done, and then she gets all bitchy like I am somehow annoying her, when I am the one that is really annoyed.....the first month went well, now I am going to be counting down for the next three months til she leaves......

Do you mean stuff around the house? Or do you mean she's a procrastinator at everything? Even at 19 it's hard to get kids to care about the condition of the house. My step-daughter was a horrendous slob. Now she has her own house and even with 2 babies she keeps it as clean and uncluttered as possible.

If she's a procrastinator at everything, then I sympathize. My youngest son is this way to an extreme. Waits until the very last minute to wash his uniforms for work, doesn't buy groceries until he is completely out, doesn't pay bills on time unless I or his girlfriend do it for him. Sigh. He's a really great person and I'm very proud of him, but he has yet to catch on that if he'd just do what he is supposed to do before it's too late he could save himself a lot of stress. In his defense he never puts off buying dog food for his doggies. They are always well supplied.

Oh, it is at everything....for example....she got hired at a job for the summer and had TWO WEEKS before the start date to get the paperwork in. At like midnight, the night before she started, she realized she had to go to the bank for her pay deposit slip. Not only did she leave it so late she could do nothing about it, but when she was gone, I saw the folder she was keeping everything in, and she literally did not fill out a single letter in the entire booklet of paperwork.

I have had to let her be on that stuff, and let it be her problem. However, my kids know when they live at home they have chores, I do not care what age, I am not a maid. So, I hate having to harp her that it is her turn to wash the towels, or to get some dishes done on her turn before midnight etc. Then she acts like I am annoying her because I get mad that something is not done a full day after it should have been done.....like seriously??

Yes, yes, yes. This is my son exactly. He recently bought a new truck and refinanced his mortgage. He did do all the initial stuff, like truck shopping and contacting his mortgage agent to re-fi. Guess who spent many hours scrambling to provide necessary documents and paperwork while I'm at work to get it all done in time for him??!! Yes, there are a lot of things I just let go and let him learn the hard way, but the big financial stuff I cannot ignore. He too waited until the very last day to sign up for his health insurance at work. Didn't fill in any paperwork they provided. Called me frantically and I walked him through it. Sigh.

His house? Forget it. He can live in a disaster zone. I sympathize with you as far as your daughter being home and not doing what she needs to around the house. My son and I decided that if we ever had to live with each other again we'd kill each other. Not compatible at all. Crazy to say about your own child, but that's the way it is.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mmmmm.... cookie dough. I made sour cream cookies not long ago and the raw dough was so much better than the baked cookies. I do love cookies though, especially soft and slightly gooey ones. Harder ones... not so much... but I'LL STILL EAT THEM!

:s
    I have never understood the concept of putting sour cream in sweets.....it is unnatural and upsetting lol

I have a weird recipe for a sour cream raisin custard-ish pie that is actually pretty amazing. Of course, there is cream cheese involved in it too. After you add boatloads of sugar it is no longer remotely "sour", it's just thick dairy.

eta: glad your little guy is still hanging in and eating a little
  • Ba13iesis
    Ba13iesis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 lbs.. been like that for 2 years.. I eat better in general but am not loosing weight... it depresses me so much I do not have the motivation to exercise, therefore, I am kinda sabotaging my own progress.. Perhaps more friends would help.. so I am trying to friend EVERYONE! Feel free to send friend requests... and if i cheat, i log it, so get on me about it. ;)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I need to say something that will lighten the heavy feeling I have today. The weather is NOT helping either.

In just over 6 weeks, my husband and I will be jetting down to Florida for a VERY belated honeymoon. I could NOT be more excited if I tried. I am also extremely nervous and anxious about the whole thing. I really don't know what to expect and that's very thrilling and nerve wracking at the same time. I'm excited to wear my new swimsuit and sun hat I just bought this weekend. It's very chic. I just need to get some cute maxi dresses and a cute swimsuit cover up to wear on the beach. I could also use some helpful tips about traveling by plane.

Thanks!

In total, I think the flight is about 6 hours or so. We'll have a 2+ hour layover in Dallas so hopefully we'll have time to do some airport shopping. Is that a thing?! I have no idea. Anyway, I've only flown once when I was five...that was over 30 years ago so I don't really remember it too much. I just remember little packages of peanuts. :smiley:

1. I was born in Dallas, yay!
    2. Yes airport shopping is a thing- at least I make it one! I'm also a people watcher- I could people watch in an airport all day I love it!
    3. Only once?! I LOVE flying! Growing up I wanted to be a detective or a flight attendant :)
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Came to say I'm an only child too and I am so grateful for it. I have an excellent relationship with my parents, no family drama, and because they only had me they were able to provide me with a lot of stuff I might not have had otherwise. Having only one kid meant they were able to let me take tons of classes and lessons and go to camps and stuff (not only because they could be expensive but because they had the time and energy to take me to all of it), travel (including a student exchange), let me graduate uni without debt, etc etc. They gave me a lot, both materially and otherwise, because one kid meant I got a lot of their time and energy.

Not to say that people don't or can't do that for their kids if they have more than one, just saying that one kid is easier to shuttle around to piano and horseback riding and gymnastics and you don't have to worry about being fair and giving both kids the same opportunities when one wants to go on a school trip abroad or whatever. And it's definitely selfishly nice to not have to share my parents' attention, truthfully.

My mom did start a dayhome out of our house when I was three, though, to make sure I spent lots of time with other kids and didn't end up a spoiled little terror. So I would say that making sure only children get plenty of interaction with other kids is a good idea.

On an unrelated note, I'm leaving to get married in Vegas tomorrow! Weeeeeeee! And I confess that I'm more excited about going on vacation than I am about the wedding, lol. Like, I'm really happy we're getting married, but I just don't care much about the actual wedding...

Congratulations, and the wedding in itself is not by far the best part of getting married!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Oh, no peanuts these days! (allergies)
    Airport shopping can be fun if it's a nice big airport, otherwise you might be spending 2 hours choosing what to have at Starbucks.
    Take a book, ipad, music or whatever else you like. Bring along your own headphones or they will charge you for the crappy airline ones. Take a nap. Read the Skymall catalogue from cover to cover. I eat everything offered on planes - the food is usually terrible but I think it's fun and part of the vacation experience. It also makes the time go faster and I put 'calories consumed at 30,000 feet' in the Do Not Count category.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    One of my best friends is an only child and she turned out terrific. Very, very intelligent, witty, and mature. I don't think being an only child makes you damaged at all. I do love my siblings, though... even if sometimes I compare myself to my sister and feel inadequate :lol: (she's beautiful and has the most gorgeous singing voice).

I feel you there- by the way I'm the brunette in my picture- the blonde is my sister. She is GORGEOUS it's not even funny. Love her to death but sometimes get so jealous of her haha. I know what you mean though!

I don't think it's damaging to only have one kid but I'm one of five and I can't imagine not having tons of siblings they're my best friends <3

You are gorgeous too!

Wish I was closer with my siblings. I have two younger brothers. One is in the Army, stationed in Germany, and is married with kids so I don't talk to him very often. The other is a mess and the only time he calls is to ask for money, which I stopped giving to him over ten years ago.

I have 2 younger brothers, neither one of which I am close with, all because of the huge age gap. There's 8.5 and 7.5 yrs between us and I was basically a 2nd mom, which I resented. I remember how much I hated being an only child until they came, and then I got stuck taking care of them a lot.

My family is like that- brother is 30, I'm 29, sister is 23, brother is 20 and other brother is 17 so the last two are quite far in age from my brother and I. But now that we're all older and the two brothers will be 21 and 18 this year we've all become very close!

My confession is I love my boyfriend and we're talking about me moving to the UK next year but I'm super nervous to be that far from my family and it's just a HUGE committment and so different and scary!

Purely out of curiosity, is there a preference for you to go there over him coming here? Not that I don't think being an American in the UK would be more exciting than a Brit in Ohio. ;)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Re the only child/more than one child discussion, I'm on the more-than-one scenario, and sometimes it really sucks. Especially when the comparisons start. "Oh, you only got an 81 for your uni admission, but your younger sister got a 95, imagine what you could have got if you tried harder". (Yes, actual words from my father's mouth.)

Today I am feeling less pathetic. I need to walk to work now!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Weird--posted in the wrong place.