Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Omg did someone mention Harry Potter?! Yes they did so here I am! I've never tried to read the LOTR series but have always wanted to do so and I did try to read GOT but got completely lost trying to follow the story line in the first
    Book and gave up :(

I never got on with harry potter either. i just wanted to slap him.

I only ever wanted to slap him in the 5th book. He got really whiny in that book. BUT... @LBuehrle8 if you loved Harry Potter you will likely really like LOTR. I always felt that Harry Potter was like a dumbed down LOTR. Probably just because of the fantasy. But I am sure I will spark some kind of argument with that so please forgive me. I love both series. :)

AHH plugging my ears I can't hear you la la la la (with the negative talk of HP) I have always wanted to read the LOTR series! What is the first book to start with? I know the movie the Hobbit came out after the trilogy so I'm not sure where to start :/

You can start with The Hobbit if you like. It comes before Lord of the Rings, but isn't required reading. I own the Lord of the Rings in a all-in-one book, but if you are getting them separately it's Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. After that you can read the Silmarillion (which chronologically is the first book but probably not a great idea to jump straight into, the depth of Tolkien's worldbuilding can be overwhelming) and then Unfinished Tales, the Children of Hurin (this one is a bit depressing), and then Christopher Tolkien's wonderful History of Middle Earth series, which details the process behind the books as well as containing changed/deleted scenes from the books themselves (twelve books).

I was glad I started with the Hobbit since it sets the stage. And I enjoyed it. I never read beyond the 4 books. Is it worth it?
  • Oberon21
    Options
    mtxce8kqdhj9.jpg

You guys are adorable together!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Cghost21 wrote: »
    I ate a half of a gallon worth of ice cream two rows of Oreo cookies half a gallon of milk and a cheeseburger and just decided not to log in those calories on purpose lol. I just want to get back to staying consistent with my nutrition. Good thing I love to work out

I don't think I've ever expressed my ice cream consumption as portions of a gallon... I tip my hat to you, sir. Well done.

Lamest reason for eating ice cream ever: there's one (give or take) serving left in the tub and tonight is garbage night, so I want to get the empty container out in the garbage. Therefore, I eat ice cream!

Kind of annoyed because the nutrition content label only gives volume, not weight and I refuse to try and get ice cream in and out of a half-cup measure because it will get all melty in the process.

Haha yeah it hurts to leave one serving of ice cream in a tub. Maybe you can find the weight of a serving online if it's a brand you can find in the US too?

Unfortunately it's the President's Choice brand (Butter Tart Pecan flavour!) that is only available in the Real Canadian Superstore and its derivatives.

I think precise accuracy is out the window anyway. I would think calorie value would depend on the relative proportions of pecans to ice cream to caramel sauce to little clumps of pretend pastry, which aren't the same in every serving, whether measured by weight or volume.

I was actually supposed to be logging it. But I popped in here instead.

edit: grammar!

Little known secret - Walmart's Sam's Choice and Great Value brands are actually PC, rebranded for walmart. The info may still be out there, but I don't know if the numbers would be the same. They have PC at some other grocery chains too, directly branded as PC.

WOW! Never knew that.

However... there are notable differences between even same name products sold in Canada and the US so I agree the numbers might not be the same. For example, I've heard our Cheerios are way higher in sodium than US Cheerios.

The PC premium ice cream is to die for. Butter Tart Pecan and Toffee Cashew Crunch (or some similar name) are a couple of my big favourites. They came out with Pumpkin Pie in the fall a couple of years ago and I hoarded it.

Back when I could still eat that stuff, The Decadent cookies from PC were my weakness. No bag was safe. I just googled to make sure I had the name right, and see they now make ice cream sandwiches out of them. Probably a good thing I can't eat them anymore!

Ohhh, worse... they've made cookie butter out of them. But I think it might have been a limited edition thing. I couldn't resist a jar when it was marked down to 97 cents (which is what makes me think they were being cleared out).

So I was rather peeved that I was only sitting at 58 grams of protein today after dinner, which was a hefty serving of lasagna with meat sauce and a ton of cheese, figured I'd be higher than that. So I made the brilliant decision to follow up the PC ice cream with 1) red velvet Pop Tarts (a surprising 4 grams of protein) 2) 40 grams of Birthday Cake M&Ms (another gram) and 3) yogurt (non-Greek, another 4 grams).

Today was obviously Eat Like a Kid Day at my house. Other than the yogurt.

My bad, it's not cookie butter, it's "chocolate chip cookie spread":

enSY6UK.jpg

Don't think I didn't see what you did there. I'm doing my own experiment tonight. Someone posted a keto caramel recipe on reddit today. I definitely overestimated what they consider a "pinch" of salt. Guess I have an excuse to try again tomorrow.

o:)

That's honestly where I leave it on the kitchen counter, I just aligned it for a better view.

After eating some cookie spread.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Finally caught up! My confession is I've been drinking too much...every single day for quite awhile. I am making a commitment to not drink Monday through Thursday this week. Please think good thoughts for me!

ETA: A little embarrassed to admit this quasi publicly, but hoping admitting it on here will make me face reality. Since I know there are several of you that have admitted to stopping for good.

You are so not judged. I'm thinking about (not yet committed to ) a dry June. Yes, it is a big enough of a deal to not drink for an entire month for me but June is my worst month. My dad died 3 years ago on his and my mother's 43rd wedding anniversary, right after Father's Day. I tend to drink and cry from one to the other. I try to keep that as discrete as possible (the drinking, not the crying ) so I'm not a super horrible example to my kids but seriously, it is excessive and it needs to stop.

You are not alone. Many people struggle with cutting back on drinking.

I am sorry for your loss. My father died right after 4th of july 1990 and I still morn him. He was a shot and a beer guy and drank every night before he went to bed. I toast him with a shot and a beer on 4th of july and on his birthday in October. It makes me feel better to keep this ritual in his memory.

My dad died 26 years ago this June, 3 days before my parents wedding annivesary and again, right after Father's Day. Still miss him every day.

Funny how it never seems any easier.....my father died on Dec 3rd, 1991, I still cry every single time that anniversary passes. He died very suddenly, and inadvertently left me alone with my crazy mother, so it was really difficult. He was the person I loved most in the world, and I still miss him every day. My son is named after him, and it makes me tear up when I think about how my son never got to meet him. My sister said she cried a lot when he died too, not only because he was a great stepdad to her, but because she felt bad for the way he was treated by our mother and when he died she felt bad that he wasted so many years of his life being treated like that.
    I lost my Dad to cancer at 61 in July 2012. It was pretty quick really, he had his kidney removed just over a year before, but then it came back and he deteriorated quickly. I loved my Dad totally, I feel so lucky when some people on here have talked about their upbringings because I had a great childhood.

But last year, on only the second anniversary of his death I was really into what I was doing at work at the time and I completely forgot until my brother text to see of I was ok. This made me feel like I was a terrible person. Me and my brother have both always said to my mum that we don't want to mark the occasion, we'd rather continue to celebrate his birthday instead, and her brother and sisters tend to do something with her on the anniversary. But I felt awful that I didn't even realise.

I've never really been much of a crier, and tend to get on with things, but some things will really upset me. Sometimes even imagined things, like a song I think he'd have liked and I imagine him telling me about this great new singer that I was trying to get him into years before, but he'd only have recognised when they came onto radio 2. And when my brother got married last month I got quite upset when we did something to remember him, but I'd not have expected that I would have.

But I have found that it does seem easier, I love my dad and always will, he has played a big part in who I am, and although I miss him when he should be around I know how he would have felt about things and can imagine his reaction. And to me the anniversary of his death is the opposite to special and not something I want to mark.

I don't make a big deal about the day my dad died either. He also died of cancer. And we found him...He had probably got out of bed to go to the bathroom and had a stroke or he may have fallen and hit his head on the side table. My mom had stayed in the spare bedroom because he was getting Chemo and she had a cold and didn't want to affect him. She couldn't find him when she went looking for him and came running into the kitchen where I was having breakfast hysterical she couldn't find him. She thought he had committed suicide, went running for the garage to see if his car was there. When she saw it was she just looked at me like where is he? And I knew. I said 'did you look beside the bed'? She was so confused but I just knew. We went to the bedroom and looked at the far side of the bed and he was laying there. She was hysterical again and kept begging me to do something, to help him. I could tell that he had been gone for hours. I worked as a nursing *kitten*'t at the time, and she thought I should save him. It still breaks my heart that I couldn't do anything to help -- her mostly as he was long gone. I felt guilty about that for years. For years I could never say my dad had died, I only said he was gone. Apparently a lot of cancer patients don't actually die from cancer, they have strokes, etc. before the cancer kills them (at least that is what I remember the doctor telling me at the time). But the day he died is just a day. I prefer to remember all the good stuff he did, none of the bad (which my siblings like to focus on) and I simply miss him every day. But I have 'missed' the day of his death before and felt guilty to not even recognize it. I am always sad on Fathers day and I get bitter when marketers send me emails about 'gifts for dad'. I actually just got one as I was writing this. I wish I could buy my dad a gift.

And now I am sorry I probably just depressed all of you.

Ah, I'm so sorry. My mom died (effing cancer) on my Dad's birthday in 2002. Her death was exactly one month from diagnosis and my Dad has never recovered. You didn't depress me; I know how much this season sucks. I don't know if you're a hugger, but you're getting one from me.

I am not but will accept one from you. Thanks. :)
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    A certain poster is up to her normal shenanigans again, and now the thread is on a discussion of ice cream. Dammit, I need some gelato in my life right now!
    #brokepeopleproblems :laugh:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    Confession #1: I missed 3 entire days of this thread and skipped 20 pages so I could sort of catch up...I feel as if I've commited a crime. :(
    Confession #2: I purchased Ben and Jerry's Peanut Buttah Cookie Core Ice Cream last week...it's delicious! But I still have about half left, I just have two spoonfuls every night just to taste it, haha. Still feel guilty though. I really should quit feeling guilt when it comes to food.

40f871f5_ben-and-jerrys-peanut-buttah-cookie-core.xxxlarge.jpg

The Speculoos one is good too!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    A certain poster is up to her normal shenanigans again, and now the thread is on a discussion of ice cream. Dammit, I need some gelato in my life right now!
    #brokepeopleproblems :laugh:

Aaaaaand the shenanigans have appeared to stop now....I was hoping for more herp derp.
    Is that not sad? Lmao :laugh:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited June 2015
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

If you want to know what a rural Canadian accent sounds like...

http://youtu.be/F-glHAzXi_M[/embed]

Any Canadians used to watch DeGrassi?? I was obsessed!! Where Drake was little Jimmy before he hit it big. And I know people love to hate him but I will always love the Biebs! Also, all the crap they give Robin about being Canadian in How I Met Your Mother is hilarious- love that show!

I never saw that Degrassi, but I'm obsessed with the original Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High (the ones from the 80s, which played in reruns constantly in my childhood.) An ex-boyfriend gave me the complete box set on DVD years ago and I watch it when I'm sick all the time, haha.

I've seen one of those I can't remember which all I remember is A LOT of stonewashed denim! And also a lot of the junior high kids are in the new Degrassi as parents/teachers/principals and such!

Some of the worst clothing had to be from Saved By The Bell. A.C. Slater's jeans always reminded me of Ken Doll pants.

The only character whose clothing for the most part would still hold up is Kelly.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Arg.

I confess that I've been fighting getting readers for a few months now. About a year ago it was like a switch got flipped in my head. I suddenly couldn't read magazines, ingredients on packaging, and audits at work were giving me headaches.

Soooo I finally went and bought some $20 Foster Grant readers at the store...and it makes all the difference in the world. DAMMIT.

I had 20/16 vision growing up & through adulthood, but now at age 46 it's official...I'm the reader-perched-on-the-head-guy.

DAMMIT

Isn't that awful how it seems to happen overnight? At 45, I'm the little old lady in the store holding a pill bottle about 2 feet from my face so I can read it. LOL
    I'm with you both. Last Friday I was asked to take pictures with someone's iphone. I didn't have my specs with me, so I just pointed it, pressed the button a bunch of times and hoped for the best.

My sister always gets mad at me when I take pictures with her iPhone, because I click furiously like I am a Paparazzi & more than half of the pictures look awful.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Confession: one of my main hesitations to buy reading glasses is that I have an affinity for expensive sunglasses. I wear them all the time and I'm guilty of not taking them off when I'm inside the grocery store or running various errands. Currently, I'm contemplating an awesomely fancy pair of purple Gucci shades that retail for $325.00.

Take those off to put on a pair of readers?! Hell no. I'll stick with my fancy shades and not be able to read. Vain.

Can you get designer readers? I've heard of people finding designer glasses in thrift stores.

Where I live most of the designer stuff in thrift stores is counterfeit though.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    So I mentioned earlier that the swimsuit I wanted was sold out. My husband felt bad so he went on Amazon and picked out 4 similar suits and ordered them for me. My confession, I don't deserve such a fantastic man, I'm just glad he doesn't know that. ;)

What a guy!!!

I second that statement. Can we clone him?

Knock yourself out. Let me know how that works out for you. :smile: He's not without flaws though. His flatulence can clear full rooms and he tends to be a workaholic. He is a perfectionist so when he sets a goal, he'll do whatever it takes to reach it. That's both a gift and curse.

God definitely knew what He was doing when He molded that guy. I'm just incredibly humbled He chose me for him. *I'm not crying.

To all you singles out there, DO NOT SETTLE! You deserve someone that thinks the world of you and will do whatever it takes to make you feel like the most important person in their life. If they don't, move on. Luckily, God practically dropped my honey in lap. He knew I was lazy. :smiley:

^ This! I have the same kind of husband. He's my second husband and if I knew what marriage or a relationship *could* feel like, I wouldn't have spent so long with the abusive a$$hat I married first.

I am grateful everyday for my husband. That would be my 2nd best relationship advice: Don't settle. Don't settle. Don't settle.

Working on it. I am a happily divorced 26 year old.

May I ask what the 1st best relationship advice you have is?

My very best relationship advice is: be yourself. 100% exactly who you are from the get go. No best manners. No holding back. Just be 100% the real you, flaws and all. If you leave your cups on the coffee table all week and carry 7 coffee cups to the dishwasher on Saturday , do it from the very beginning. Whatever your worst is... they deserve to know the truth.

I was divorced and happily single for well over a year before I met my husband. I was a single mom of 3 little kids (6, 4 & 2 years old). I wasn't dating anyone and definitely wasn't looking. My washer and fridge died in under a week. We had a new maintenance man at work. I asked him to come look at them and he did. I literally needed those things fixed. I wasn't just trying to pick him up

Anyway, he asked if he could take me to eat after he looked at them and I was all "I don't need a man. I'm not looking for a relationship. But, I will tell you what... you be you...exactly who you are. I'll be me. Exactly who I am. No best behavior or pretending to be someone your aren't. If we click, great. If not, we are no worse off than we are right now. No pretending."

He agreed. I have been exactly me ever since. I was just trying to avoid heartache later when we realized that it actually wouldnt work but had put all this time in getting to know each other. We are very good together and I chalk it up to blatant honesty in who we are.

So, that is my best advice... be yourself. Don't settle. :)

I was going to suggest the same thing. My man knew who he was getting from the jump. I NEVER pretend to be something I'm not. There is no "best behavior" for me, there's just my behavior. Take it or leave it.

I'm glad you agree! I like you!

My husband was a bit of the opposite. I became quite uptight while being with my ex. I had to put on a happy face when we went out. He had high expectations and standards. He once told me that he expected to remain in my work /dress clothes after coming home and would me expect me to wear them while making dinner. I had to listen to his music (he would go as far as change the radio station in my car without asking... I would turn it back and he would get mad).

My husband broke open my shell and allowed me to be goofy and allowed me to be silly without being embarrassed. It was so empowering

And then you killed him. The End.

Really glad you got away from that idiot! Very happy to hear that you are happy now.

This made me laugh forever.......
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had a margarita with dinner tonight, and I'm not sorry!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

Any Canadians used to watch DeGrassi?? I was obsessed!! Where Drake was little Jimmy before he hit it big. And I know people love to hate him but I will always love the Biebs! Also, all the crap they give Robin about being Canadian in How I Met Your Mother is hilarious- love that show!

I still watch DeGrassi.....and I know this makes me sound old, but I have been watching it since Kids Of DeGrassi Street in the mid 80's lol.

I agree with the Robin thing, it is funny with Canadian are (tastefully) made fun of on American shows!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »

I never saw that Degrassi, but I'm obsessed with the original Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High (the ones from the 80s, which played in reruns constantly in my childhood.) An ex-boyfriend gave me the complete box set on DVD years ago and I watch it when I'm sick all the time, haha.

YESS DEGRASSIIII! My step-dad worked the lighting on the show when I was young so I got to be on set occasionally, which leads me to say that Drake is AWESOME. Or well was, I dunno but he humoured little me so he's good in my books haha

That's the one I don't know! I only know the low-budget ones with the "Wake up in the morning, feelin' shy and lonely, gee I gotta go to school..." theme song and Joey Jeremiah playing keyboards in the Zit Remedy and Shane getting Spike pregnant and those stupid twins. All I know about the remake is that Drake used to play a character people refer to as "wheelchair Jimmy."

Don't forget the Joey/Caitlynn/Tessa saga!! I was sad when I read that Neil Hope died a few years ago living in a rooming house. :(
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »

YESS DEGRASSIIII! My step-dad worked the lighting on the show when I was young so I got to be on set occasionally, which leads me to say that Drake is AWESOME. Or well was, I dunno but he humoured little me so he's good in my books haha

That's the one I don't know! I only know the low-budget ones with the "Wake up in the morning, feelin' shy and lonely, gee I gotta go to school..." theme song and Joey Jeremiah playing keyboards in the Zit Remedy and Shane getting Spike pregnant and those stupid twins. All I know about the remake is that Drake used to play a character people refer to as "wheelchair Jimmy."

Yep- Joey Jeremiah, Shane and Spike are all in the newer show as parents!

That is what first drew me to it, but now only Snake is left, and I am still hooked....

Anyone still watch it?? Clair cliffhanger!!! LOL
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Finally caught up! My confession is I've been drinking too much...every single day for quite awhile. I am making a commitment to not drink Monday through Thursday this week. Please think good thoughts for me!

ETA: A little embarrassed to admit this quasi publicly, but hoping admitting it on here will make me face reality. Since I know there are several of you that have admitted to stopping for good.

You are so not judged. I'm thinking about (not yet committed to ) a dry June. Yes, it is a big enough of a deal to not drink for an entire month for me but June is my worst month. My dad died 3 years ago on his and my mother's 43rd wedding anniversary, right after Father's Day. I tend to drink and cry from one to the other. I try to keep that as discrete as possible (the drinking, not the crying ) so I'm not a super horrible example to my kids but seriously, it is excessive and it needs to stop.

I am sorry for your loss. My father died right after 4th of july 1990 and I still morn him. He was a shot and a beer guy and drank every night before he went to bed. I toast him with a shot and a beer on 4th of july and on his birthday in October. It makes me feel better to keep this ritual in his memory.

My dad died 26 years ago this June, 3 days before my parents wedding annivesary and again, right after Father's Day. Still miss him every day.

Funny how it never seems any easier.....my father died on Dec 3rd, 1991, I still cry every single time that anniversary passes. He died very suddenly, and inadvertently left me alone with my crazy mother, so it was really difficult. He was the person I loved most in the world, and I still miss him every day. My son is named after him, and it makes me tear up when I think about how my son never got to meet him. My sister said she cried a lot when he died too, not only because he was a great stepdad to her, but because she felt bad for the way he was treated by our mother and when he died she felt bad that he wasted so many years of his life being treated like that.
    I lost my Dad to cancer at 61 in July 2012. It was pretty quick really, he had his kidney removed just over a year before, but then it came back and he deteriorated quickly. I loved my Dad totally, I feel so lucky when some people on here have talked about their upbringings because I had a great childhood.

But last year, on only the second anniversary of his death I was really into what I was doing at work at the time and I completely forgot until my brother text to see of I was ok. This made me feel like I was a terrible person. Me and my brother have both always said to my mum that we don't want to mark the occasion, we'd rather continue to celebrate his birthday instead, and her brother and sisters tend to do something with her on the anniversary. But I felt awful that I didn't even realise.

I've never really been much of a crier, and tend to get on with things, but some things will really upset me. Sometimes even imagined things, like a song I think he'd have liked and I imagine him telling me about this great new singer that I was trying to get him into years before, but he'd only have recognised when they came onto radio 2. And when my brother got married last month I got quite upset when we did something to remember him, but I'd not have expected that I would have.

But I have found that it does seem easier, I love my dad and always will, he has played a big part in who I am, and although I miss him when he should be around I know how he would have felt about things and can imagine his reaction. And to me the anniversary of his death is the opposite to special and not something I want to mark.

I don't make a big deal about the day my dad died either. He also died of cancer. And we found him...He had probably got out of bed to go to the bathroom and had a stroke or he may have fallen and hit his head on the side table. My mom had stayed in the spare bedroom because he was getting Chemo and she had a cold and didn't want to affect him. She couldn't find him when she went looking for him and came running into the kitchen where I was having breakfast hysterical she couldn't find him. She thought he had committed suicide, went running for the garage to see if his car was there. When she saw it was she just looked at me like where is he? And I knew. I said 'did you look beside the bed'? She was so confused but I just knew. We went to the bedroom and looked at the far side of the bed and he was laying there. She was hysterical again and kept begging me to do something, to help him. I could tell that he had been gone for hours. I worked as a nursing *kitten*'t at the time, and she thought I should save him. It still breaks my heart that I couldn't do anything to help -- her mostly as he was long gone. I felt guilty about that for years. For years I could never say my dad had died, I only said he was gone. Apparently a lot of cancer patients don't actually die from cancer, they have strokes, etc. before the cancer kills them (at least that is what I remember the doctor telling me at the time). But the day he died is just a day. I prefer to remember all the good stuff he did, none of the bad (which my siblings like to focus on) and I simply miss him every day. But I have 'missed' the day of his death before and felt guilty to not even recognize it. I am always sad on Fathers day and I get bitter when marketers send me emails about 'gifts for dad'. I actually just got one as I was writing this. I wish I could buy my dad a gift.

:'(

I am so very sorry you went through that.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I really feel for you the way you found him, that must have been so difficult. And tough for your mum too with it in their bedroom. My Dad was going to be coming home, they delivered a hospital bed for him as he wouldn't have been able to get upstairs, but the day he was going to he'd got worse and stayed in hospital, in some ways it was such a shame for him, but I think I'm many ways staying there made it easier for my mum. And he had a room with a window, so a couple of times in his last week we brought their dog to see him. We passed him through the window! The happiest he seemed was when he was showing his favourite nurse his dog.

:'(
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    mtxce8kqdhj9.jpg

You guys are adorable together!

Ditto!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Omg did someone mention Harry Potter?! Yes they did so here I am! I've never tried to read the LOTR series but have always wanted to do so and I did try to read GOT but got completely lost trying to follow the story line in the first
    Book and gave up :(

I never got on with harry potter either. i just wanted to slap him.

I only ever wanted to slap him in the 5th book. He got really whiny in that book. BUT... @LBuehrle8 if you loved Harry Potter you will likely really like LOTR. I always felt that Harry Potter was like a dumbed down LOTR. Probably just because of the fantasy. But I am sure I will spark some kind of argument with that so please forgive me. I love both series. :)

AHH plugging my ears I can't hear you la la la la (with the negative talk of HP) I have always wanted to read the LOTR series! What is the first book to start with? I know the movie the Hobbit came out after the trilogy so I'm not sure where to start :/

You can start with The Hobbit if you like. It comes before Lord of the Rings, but isn't required reading. I own the Lord of the Rings in a all-in-one book, but if you are getting them separately it's Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. After that you can read the Silmarillion (which chronologically is the first book but probably not a great idea to jump straight into, the depth of Tolkien's worldbuilding can be overwhelming) and then Unfinished Tales, the Children of Hurin (this one is a bit depressing), and then Christopher Tolkien's wonderful History of Middle Earth series, which details the process behind the books as well as containing changed/deleted scenes from the books themselves (twelve books).

I was glad I started with the Hobbit since it sets the stage. And I enjoyed it. I never read beyond the 4 books. Is it worth it?

Absolutely. The depth to everything he wrote is astonishing. And it's incredible to watch the way seemingly insignificant details link together. (And then comes the fun part, when you've finished reading the Silmarillion, and you go back through The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and you find hidden references to that wider mythology).

I will say this though: The Silmarillion is pretty heavy going at times, and also a bit depressing, because it never really has that "happy" ending. It is a total masterpiece, though. I only wish we could have found the secret to immortality in time for Tolkien, because I would have loved to have seen more of it unfold.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    It is almost midnight and I am waiting for my son to get home from work so I can go to bed.

The sad dad stories really got to me today.

When my dad died he was shoveling the drive way and had a heart attack. A neighbor found him. He drove me to school that morning (I was 15), when he did not pick me up, I called, and a cop answered the phone and told me he had died and to come home right away. I actually told the cop that he usually picked me up from school at the other end of town, and I did not know how to get home. His reply was that they would be there when I got there.

I ran back in the school and had a teacher drive me home. Later that day, when I went outside, his hat, eye glasses, blood and vomit were all over the drive way.

At the funeral, in true 'mother' style, she caused a big scene and picked him up out of the casket....I will never forget the crude autopsy scar on the back of his head.

I do not think I will ever fully get over that.

My best girlfriend died two and a half years ago, that was the hardest death I have dealt with other than my father's. Death really sucks!

My rodent is looking rather poor today....he is so skinny and was making a funny noise today when I was holding him. He spends all day in a puff ball in his cage with his head down, this is also what the other one did in the days before he died....I do not think it is gonna be much longer now....I am heartbroken.

On a better note, my sister and her family are coming to visit next month. They live in Indy and I only see them once every couple years......