Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I hesitate to admit that in seeing "Speculoos Ben & Jerry's", the first thing that popped into my mind was "Speculoos? -- that word looks like speculum (!)" -- and in suddenly having the concept of speculum followed immediately by an ice cream reference, my mind suddenly found itself doing a tango with the unthinkable -- a speculum used as an ice cream 'scoop' -- ?!!! GROSS

I keep automatically thinking of speculum too... that's why I always refer to it as "cookie butter". Lol.
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Second confession, every time I see the thread 'Thigh Gap?' I get really angry.

I ventured in there (I should know better) after I saw skinny chicken legs (which I have) declared unsexy. :|

Whenever I hear that term (thigh gap) I think of the funny purple monster in Monsters, Inc. and Monsters University! Cannot remember his name right now...

There's a gif of him on that thread, I about died when I saw it! :)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    My confessions are:
    1) Flapjacks are my downfall - I can easily scoff down a whole tub (22 pieces) of 'bitesize' flapjacks in one sitting while telling myself that all those oats are good for me. Sometimes they are my entire dinner.
    2) I will happily sit down to watch 'Superfat vs Superskinny' on TV after failing to go to the gym and with a box of chocolates and fully aware of the irony.

i always thought flapjacks were pancakes.
    then i got a lil packet of flapjacks in a graze snack box. hooked. instantly.

what the heck are they? I thought so too!
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    @crosbylee I'm so sorry about your friend.

@Italian_Buju I can't even imagine what you went through, my heart breaks for you. And I hope your degu gets better.

@pofoster21 What a heartbreaking story as well. So sorry

Here's a confession: My husband plays games on his iPad. His newest game is Hay Day where you virtually take care of a farm. He was gone this weekend and I picked up his iPad to look something up and an alert said "your farm animals miss you" I decided I had to look in on them. I am now hooked on Hay Day. I feel ridiculous when I play and super ridiculous admitting it.

Edited: Because I didn't want to forget anyone

I'm completely addicted to Hay Day myself. I'm on level 54 now, and I've been playing for almost a year, multiple times daily! ;)

My husband teases me about it, and whenever I have my face stuck in my tab, he'll go... "Checking on your chickens again, huh?"

No need to feel ridiculous, it's an awesome stress-reliever since it's so... Brainless? Kind of like coloring for me, both are destressors. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I want actual chickens, both for the convenience of eggs and because I just think it would be hilarious, but we live in suburban Philadelphia and APPARENTLY that's not acceptable in our township code. Sometimes I think the hubby-to-be is a bit too happy about my lack of chickens.

We do have resident foxes though, so odds are it wouldn't work out anyway. >:)
    ME TOO! I'm desperate for some. Also I want a beehive. The latter is allowed where we are, but we don't have a very big yard and I don't think our neighbours would like it much. I also want goats. My sister sent me this this morning:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxUt9UM0nc

i want a little one of these. it just seems awesome...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive#/story
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »

@Italian_Buju I can't even imagine what you went through, my heart breaks for you. And I hope your degu gets better.

Here's a confession: My husband plays games on his iPad. His newest game is Hay Day where you virtually take care of a farm. He was gone this weekend and I picked up his iPad to look something up and an alert said "your farm animals miss you" I decided I had to look in on them. I am now hooked on Hay Day. I feel ridiculous when I play and super ridiculous admitting it.

I'm completely addicted to Hay Day myself. I'm on level 54 now, and I've been playing for almost a year, multiple times daily! ;)

My husband teases me about it, and whenever I have my face stuck in my tab, he'll go... "Checking on your chickens again, huh?"

No need to feel ridiculous, it's an awesome stress-reliever since it's so... Brainless? Kind of like coloring for me, both are destressors. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks, that makes me feel better! I don't know how long my husband has been playing it but he's on level 20 or 21. I checked on it this morning and almost didn't get my workout in, smh. But the good news is, I'm not mindless eating after I put my daughter to bed, I'm harvesting my crops. Still..smh

When I wake up to pray my first prayer of the day (at dawn) I tend to pick up my phone and start playing it after I pray, instead of going back to sleep. Next thing I know, the sun is up and it's time to get up, but I want to sleep more after losing two solid hours (that I could have spent sleeping) playing the game and then checking this thread! :o

For Curiosity's sake I must know when are the prayers times?

They follow the sun. For clarity, I'll give you their names first: Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha. :)

In the winter, I can expect Fajr to be around 5:30 AM. Currently, it's at 3:15 AM. Fajr is the prayer that's called when the first thread of light rises over the horizon and the sky begins to lighten, and the prayer time ends as soon as the sun begins to rise.

Dhuhr is the noon prayer, which is prayed right after the sun has reached its zenith, or its highest peak in the sky. The time for Dhuhr ends when the time for Asr begins. Dhuhr is around 11:30 AM right now.

Asr time begins when the sun is at a certain position in the sky (not too sure how to explain it), and can basically be measured by the time of day when the length of the shadow of a given object is equal to the length of the object itself. Asr time ends when the sun begins to turn orange-ish, but before it starts to set. At the moment, Asr prayers begin around 3:10 PM.

Maghrib time begins as soon as the sun has set completely, but the afterglow is still visible. Maghrib time ends when the afterglow is completely gone, which is when the Isha prayer begins. Maghrib currently falls at 6:30 PM in Saudi Arabia.

Isha prayer lasts until the midway point between dusk and dawn, so currently at 10:45 PM. :)

Thank you for explaining! I've always wondered but never knew how to properly bring it up without being offensive, errr if I offended you. SORRY! :)

Don't apologize! The reason so many people know so little about Islam is because they're so afraid of offending Muslims by asking. :o You're welcome to ask anything that you'd like to know, and I'm always glad to share information. The more we know about each other's cultures, religions, and customs, the less hate there would be between us all, don't you agree? :)
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I swear, if I see another freaking thread about that stupid fed up "documentary", I'm going to lose it! :rage:
    Note: One just started in Food and Nutrition.

Confession: I kind of love food documentaries.

That said, I do not take it all at face value, and usually see (literally) both sides to an "argument" if possible. Example: I think both Super Size Me and Fat Head are great ways to show that all sorts of things need to be considered when it comes to eating.

Now, that's understandable, but it's the threads pushing that particular "film" as gospel and whatnot that irks me.
    Oh, and now that particular thread has moved on to MFP conspiracy theories. Is it Friday already?
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

If you want to know what a rural Canadian accent sounds like...

http://youtu.be/F-glHAzXi_M[/embed]

I call that one the "Trailer Park Boys accent". Thanks for sharing. :)

Rural Manitoba is a little more "nasally" sounding to me.

And I've never said "aboot" for about in my life.

I always thought it sounded more like "aboat" anyway. ;)

Being with my Canadian best friend rubbed off on me a lot, she didn't say aboot, but I still -almost 20 years later - catch myself saying "sorey' instead of "sorry".

Lol, you Americans don't say "sorry", you say "saawh-ry"...it's the easiest way I know to identify an American accent quickly ;) Also "lobby" sounds like "laawh-by" to me when Americans say it - it's those "o"s that are the giveaway because they're a lot flatter, closer to an "a" and further away from the almost-long-"o" sound that Canadians usually use for those words. In Vegas last weekend the elevator voice in our hotel made me giggle every time because of the way it pronounced "law-by floor".

Sorry for the essay on this one, but I find this stuff really interesting, obviously. I'm a singer and I love dissecting phonetics and vowel pronunciations in different languages and accents - I totally get excited over weird dipthongs and stuff, haha.

I'm going to admit that I really don't get Friends. I watched it when it was first airing and it was mildly amusing, but whenever I see reruns now I'm not at all compelled to keep watching. They really don't seem to have aged that well for me and I just don't find them that funny. Seinfeld, even though it's older, is still more funny to me despite its age.

I have terrible taste in TV though...I don't really watch many scripted shows at all anymore. I've tried to get into all the big critically-acclaimed dramas like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, but I always end up losing interest and shutting them off. I think it's because I don't like TV to make me feel terrible, and all those shows are pretty much sad ALL THE TIME. I can handle sad movies and books but not season after season of pain and misery. So I watch, like...shows about puppies on Animal Planet and the Food Network and all those terrible bride shows on TLC while I'm cooking dinner or as background when I'm reading a book, and that's sufficiently entertaining, but I almost never just sit down and watch TV without doing something else at the same time.

I find it really interesting too! Have you ever watched Orphan Black? The main actress plays something like 12 different characters, all of whom have different accents/dialects. She is freaking amazing at it. I'm obsessed with the show, and there have been so many times that I have almost forgotten that a character is played by her and not someone else. She's Canadian btw.

I loved Friends when it first came out. I've been trying to rewatch it on Netflix, but it just didn't hold up well for me either. I think when I first watched it I was so young that I thought that that's really how adults were. Now I watch it and go "come on!" If I like anyone on it, it's Chandler lol.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    My confessions are:
    1) Flapjacks are my downfall - I can easily scoff down a whole tub (22 pieces) of 'bitesize' flapjacks in one sitting while telling myself that all those oats are good for me. Sometimes they are my entire dinner.
    2) I will happily sit down to watch 'Superfat vs Superskinny' on TV after failing to go to the gym and with a box of chocolates and fully aware of the irony.

I went and asked the all-knowing Wikipedia! Apparently in the U.S. they're pancakes, but in the UK they're basically granola bars made with oats, butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup. :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

Being with my Canadian best friend rubbed off on me a lot, she didn't say aboot, but I still -almost 20 years later - catch myself saying "sorey' instead of "sorry".

Lol, you Americans don't say "sorry", you say "saawh-ry"...it's the easiest way I know to identify an American accent quickly ;) Also "lobby" sounds like "laawh-by" to me when Americans say it - it's those "o"s that are the giveaway because they're a lot flatter, closer to an "a" and further away from the almost-long-"o" sound that Canadians usually use for those words. In Vegas last weekend the elevator voice in our hotel made me giggle every time because of the way it pronounced "law-by floor".

Sorry for the essay on this one, but I find this stuff really interesting, obviously. I'm a singer and I love dissecting phonetics and vowel pronunciations in different languages and accents - I totally get excited over weird dipthongs and stuff, haha.

I'm going to admit that I really don't get Friends. I watched it when it was first airing and it was mildly amusing, but whenever I see reruns now I'm not at all compelled to keep watching. They really don't seem to have aged that well for me and I just don't find them that funny. Seinfeld, even though it's older, is still more funny to me despite its age.

I have terrible taste in TV though...I don't really watch many scripted shows at all anymore. I've tried to get into all the big critically-acclaimed dramas like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, but I always end up losing interest and shutting them off. I think it's because I don't like TV to make me feel terrible, and all those shows are pretty much sad ALL THE TIME. I can handle sad movies and books but not season after season of pain and misery. So I watch, like...shows about puppies on Animal Planet, and the Food Network, and all those terrible bride shows on TLC while I'm cooking dinner or as background when I'm reading a book, and that's sufficiently entertaining, but I almost never just sit down and watch TV without doing something else at the same time.

Exactly... it's not that Canadians say "aboot", it's that Americans don't realize they're pronouncing it "abaawt" ;)

I've watched the Puppy Bowl, and the show Pick a Puppy on CMT, which actually gives a pretty good overview of breed characteristics if you can get past the rather saccharine presenter.

As for games... I'm addicted to Pet Rescue (sensing a theme here?) and Candy Crush. I'm not a game type person normally but I'm certainly hooked on those ones. They're on my phone, so a great way to kill time while waiting for an appointment or something. (I'm actually totally stuck on a level in Pet Rescue now, so Candy Crush is the only one.)
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options

I have terrible taste in TV though...I don't really watch many scripted shows at all anymore. I've tried to get into all the big critically-acclaimed dramas like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, but I always end up losing interest and shutting them off. I think it's because I don't like TV to make me feel terrible, and all those shows are pretty much sad ALL THE TIME. I can handle sad movies and books but not season after season of pain and misery. So I watch, like...shows about puppies on Animal Planet, and the Food Network, and all those terrible bride shows on TLC while I'm cooking dinner or as background when I'm reading a book, and that's sufficiently entertaining, but I almost never just sit down and watch TV without doing something else at the same time.

Me neither. It always seems a bit laboured to me. Sorry to all those who love it.
    I like comedy that's fast moving and mean. I love stuff like Veep where they're all horrible - probably why I prefer Seinfeld, although the laughter track makes it almost unwatchable. Also, UK Office > US Office.

Oh my gosh yes. I am so glad that shows are moving away from using a laugh track. It's so awful.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

1. I'm not a singer but I do too! I totally go all fan girl when I meet someone with a neat accent. I'm well aware this is weird but I can't help it it's just so neat!

2. I only agree with this as you don't like Friends :( Friends will not make you sad like all those other big shows now-a-days :)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Thanks, that makes me feel better! I don't know how long my husband has been playing it but he's on level 20 or 21. I checked on it this morning and almost didn't get my workout in, smh. But the good news is, I'm not mindless eating after I put my daughter to bed, I'm harvesting my crops. Still..smh

When I wake up to pray my first prayer of the day (at dawn) I tend to pick up my phone and start playing it after I pray, instead of going back to sleep. Next thing I know, the sun is up and it's time to get up, but I want to sleep more after losing two solid hours (that I could have spent sleeping) playing the game and then checking this thread! :o

They follow the sun. For clarity, I'll give you their names first: Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha. :)

In the winter, I can expect Fajr to be around 5:30 AM. Currently, it's at 3:15 AM. Fajr is the prayer that's called when the first thread of light rises over the horizon and the sky begins to lighten, and the prayer time ends as soon as the sun begins to rise.

Dhuhr is the noon prayer, which is prayed right after the sun has reached its zenith, or its highest peak in the sky. The time for Dhuhr ends when the time for Asr begins. Dhuhr is around 11:30 AM right now.

Asr time begins when the sun is at a certain position in the sky (not too sure how to explain it), and can basically be measured by the time of day when the length of the shadow of a given object is equal to the length of the object itself. Asr time ends when the sun begins to turn orange-ish, but before it starts to set. At the moment, Asr prayers begin around 3:10 PM.

Maghrib time begins as soon as the sun has set completely, but the afterglow is still visible. Maghrib time ends when the afterglow is completely gone, which is when the Isha prayer begins. Maghrib currently falls at 6:30 PM in Saudi Arabia.

Isha prayer lasts until the midway point between dusk and dawn, so currently at 10:45 PM. :)

Thank you for explaining! I've always wondered but never knew how to properly bring it up without being offensive, errr if I offended you. SORRY! :)

Don't apologize! The reason so many people know so little about Islam is because they're so afraid of offending Muslims by asking. :o You're welcome to ask anything that you'd like to know, and I'm always glad to share information. The more we know about each other's cultures, religions, and customs, the less hate there would be between us all, don't you agree? :)
    Agree totally, and thanks for explaining. I used to work in the next cubicle from a man who prayed in his cubicle. Is that unusual? The first time I walked past him kneeling, I saw him from the corner of my eye and my first thought was that he was sick! Fortunately I didn't jump on him to perform CPR, and became used to seeing him praying. I never liked to ask about the timing of it.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Me neither. It always seems a bit laboured to me. Sorry to all those who love it.
    I like comedy that's fast moving and mean. I love stuff like Veep where they're all horrible - probably why I prefer Seinfeld, although the laughter track makes it almost unwatchable. Also, UK Office > US Office.

Hehehe - I'm a communication professor and an assignment I've done before is to have students watch a old sitcom that has a laugh track, and they have to count the number of times the laugh track is used and laugh along with the track (in addition to other things - purpose is to show how media content is designed to elicit different emotional responses). I love reading responses to that assignment (in probably a slightly evil way) when they get rather annoyed by the laugh track - "Why do they use it so much - that joke wasn't even funny?!?"
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »

I never thought about samples! I love you. Is that weird?!

Not weird at all! I kinda needed some extra love today anyway!

Extra hugs and love your way !!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

The Office (US) is mine and my SO's favorite show to watch together! We've watched the whole series twice haha. Surprisingly, while he enjoys the UK series, he prefers the US series!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    My confessions are:

SAME! They're my favorite of the snacks in my Graze boxes!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    I had a margarita with dinner tonight, and I'm not sorry!

Margaritas should never be apologized for! Unless they are made poorly. Otherwise just having a margarita in front of you is cause for celebration!

Words to live by

Pretty much the reason I make my own margaritas. Nothing like the disappointment of paying too much (money and calories) for a bad margarita.

Ditto! My own homemade margaritas are yummy. I do love the Perfect Margarita at Applebee's, but that's a whole lotta calories.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Agree totally, and thanks for explaining. I used to work in the next cubicle from a man who prayed in his cubicle. Is that unusual? The first time I walked past him kneeling, I saw him from the corner of my eye and my first thought was that he was sick! Fortunately I didn't jump on him to perform CPR, and became used to seeing him praying. I never liked to ask about the timing of it.

As Muslims, we're not allowed to miss a single prayer, and the timings are restricted. If you miss a prayer time, it can't be made up unless you were asleep or forgot about the prayer, or there's an emergency of some sort. Because of that, we're told by our holy book to pray wherever we might be, as long as the area is clean. Praying in a cubicle when a prayer room isn't available is very normal. You'll also find Muslims praying on sand in the desert or on the beach, on the floors in malls, and on grass or sidewalks on the sides of the road while traveling. We're creative! ;)

Actually, there's quite a funny song about it, if you'd like to listen to it. It's by Dawud Wharnsby Ali and it's called "The Crazy Spots I've Prayed". Here's a YouTube link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkYN5qvPIA :)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My confessions are:

I went and asked the all-knowing Wikipedia! Apparently in the U.S. they're pancakes, but in the UK they're basically granola bars made with oats, butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup. :)

Ah! Thanks!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Oops, the youtube link posted the video! :o
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Absolutely!