Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    The stepdaughter did come by last night. She emptied the litter box and I assume fed/watered her cat. She was in the living room (with a friend she brought over without telling us) my husband and daughter. They were all chatting when I walked in. I said zero words to her, put away the groceries, and went to take a shower since I had just worked out.

Apparently, she told my husband and daughter that she was going to drop off her friend and come back. I don't feel I need to tell you this didn't happen.

My husband finally broke down last night and said "I don't know why she doesn't want to live with us." It was heartbreaking and I want to spank her for being such a little jerk to her dad.

Thank you for allowing me to vent incessantly about this on here. I really appreciate it.

Depending on age (she is 18+, right?), she's probably exercising her own ability to be 'somewhat' independent without any ill intent towards you or her dad. New adults have a totally different mindset. And don't think I am sticking up for her.... but it's amazing the things I personally took for granted without ever once thinking about my moms feelings. Simple things, too. Like calling to check in or surprise visit, whatev. Even to this day I have to remind myself that my mom still has the same feelings for me now as I do for my own 9 year old daughter and eventually to some degree, I will most likely endure the same hardships and worry that my mom once had. Sticky situation with plenty of room for hurt/misunderstood feelings. GL

I totally get all that her wanting to independent and whatnot, however, we were nice enough to offer her a place to stay when she didn't have anywhere else to go, and not only that, but we bought her a BRAND NEW CAR (my husband drives a 1963 Chevy pickup) when she totaled her other car, after her only being in our lives for not even 2 months. She has not paid a single penny towards said car with regards to insurance, payment, or anything. The deal was when we bought the car, she would be 100% responsible for the insurance, and tags, and she'd pay what she could towards the payment each month. Her tags are due this month and I told my husband WE ARE NOT PAYING FOR HER TAGS!

I know a lot of what my husband is doing is trying to make up for not being able to be in her life while she was growing up (not his decision) but he can't make up for it and he needs to stop trying (although, knowing him, he never will. The guilt is just too much even though it was totally out of his control.) And she needs to quit being a selfish brat that's taking advantage of our generosity. Young adult or not, there's still such a thing as common courtesy.

Uuugh that's pretty tough position to be in. Sounds like she needs some tough love from the person not willing to give her any out of fear of pushing her further away.

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I <3 Frozen. I have no shame.

I'm 26 and I have never seen Frozen. Or Dirty Dancing. Or Grease. Or a lot of other chick flicks. Maybe that explains my post about not knowing how to do girly things. I still have no intention of watching any of these films though.

I didn't like Grease much but I love Dirty Dancing!

Footloose!

One of my favorites, ever! The original one with Kevin Bacon, of course!

The remake was terrible :( Kevin Bacon all the way!

Omg, so terrible! And I just love Kevin Bacon...speaking of..anyone watch The Following and as sad as I am that it's cancelled? :(:(

Yes! I am! I was so mad I wasted so much time getting into it! This is why I don't watch most series unless they're already over so I know there's some sort of conclusion/resolution!

Do not start The Glades then...... I watched the entire thing and was so pissed about where they left it. Great show though.

It's terrible when things get canceled between seasons. I liked The Glades, except for their IN YOUR FACE absolutely blatant product placement. Drove me crazy!
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The stepdaughter did come by last night. She emptied the litter box and I assume fed/watered her cat. She was in the living room (with a friend she brought over without telling us) my husband and daughter. They were all chatting when I walked in. I said zero words to her, put away the groceries, and went to take a shower since I had just worked out.

Apparently, she told my husband and daughter that she was going to drop off her friend and come back. I don't feel I need to tell you this didn't happen.

My husband finally broke down last night and said "I don't know why she doesn't want to live with us." It was heartbreaking and I want to spank her for being such a little jerk to her dad.

Thank you for allowing me to vent incessantly about this on here. I really appreciate it.

How awful. That is really hurtful. Will he ask her why she is being this way, or is he more the type to just keep his feelings to himself? I feel like sometimes young adults and older teens don't realize how selfish they are being and a wake up call can help. I'm not sure if it would help in this situation though, but your husband may feel better if he at least tries to talk to her about what she is doing. That sucks.

He told me last night he was going to talk to her about how he feels. I really hope he does. I asked him why he's not upset that she's disrespecting him, and he said he is sad that she doesn't want to spend time with us. I think he's too sad to feel angry. He also told me that he's just happy he has any type of relationship with her even if it's not much of one.

The one thing that really set me off last night was he told me that she told them she's been sleeping on her mom's couch without cushions for the past 2+ weeks. This pissed me to the nth degree because she has her own bedroom with a queen size pillow top mattress at our house, yet she'd rather sleep on a cushionless couch.

That is really a hard situation. I hope he does talk to her, if only to work through his own feelings even if it makes no difference to her. How sad.

• kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh, and what do the cool moms and kiddos do on Sunday morning? Matching Frozen color manicures of course! (Proud mommy moment, a few months ago just the idea of something touching her hands made her panic, now she loves having her nails painted! Small victories over Sensory Processing Disorder!)
    3r3ommj4l2xq.jpg
    :)
    Aww, how adorable!

Whoo for the small victory:).

My two year old niece is obsessed with Frozen! Her brother the one day asked if she was a boy or a girl & she said no to both & he asked what she was. Her answer...Elsa hahaha.

Haha! That sounds like my daughter too! All Frozen, all the time. If it's not playing on some DVD player in my house on loop, she's still running around singing "Let it Go" and proclaiming herself to be Elsa. I've tried to use that to my advantage with the potty training endeavors, but still no luck...

Potty training at our house too! Does your little one go to daycare or are you a SAHM? Ours goes to daycare and she did pretty well this weekend. Only one accident yesterday, but we put a diaper on when she sleeps.

I'm a SAHM. She knows how everything works, what to do, and how to do it. The thing is, she won't do it. We bought panties and the waterproof ones to cover those, just so I'm not spending all day mopping up puddles of pee when she has accidents. She tries, but she tries after she pees or poops herself. The big goal is to have her potty trained before she starts 3K in September. Add in her sensory challenges and anxiety issues, and I have a feeling we're going to be at it awhile.

Potty training was a nightmare in my house. My son still pooped his pants regularly at 4.5. I had to take him to a therapist, but thankfully it helped. Now he's almost 7.5 and he still won't wipe half the time and still pees his bed once a week (and won't tell me, of course, until it's bedtime and the bed reeks and I have a lot of laundry to do the next day. Then he sleeps on the floor).

His sister still has poop in her underwear every single day. And I still have to remind them to wipe their hands (plus side - I never even consider eating their leftovers. *barf*).

Kids are just SO gross.

We were hoping potty training would be easier for her, because pooping is a challenge in and of itself. The sensation of actually pooping sends her into a complete meltdown, and she has a terrible habit of holding and holding until she's so constipated it makes her sick and we have to give her enemas to make her poop. That's even with giving her a tablespoon of miralax every day by her doctor's recommendation. I seriously hate SPD, not just for that, but for countless other reasons. It's taken so much from her and kept her from so many things already, and it pisses me off! I can't tell you how many nights and times I've spent in tears over it and seeing her struggle every day with it. The worst part is, it's not even recognized that much, I've actually had to explain to a doctor what SPD is because they looked at me like an idiot when I mentioned she had it. I can't tell you how many times I get asked if I'm not sure she's autistic, when she's been tested multiple times and they've said she doesn't meet the criteria for that diagnosis. So far, she's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety, and "pervasive developmental disorder-non otherwise specified", and already shows signs of possible ADHD. My heart breaks for her, seeing how she struggles so much, but I try to be thankful, because I know it could be so much worse, but there's still times where I just want to scream and cry and yell about how it's so unfair to her! :cry:
    Ok, ending my rant now.

Sounds really difficult for both of you, but she is very lucky to have such a caring mom. I know there are some days I have trouble dealing with sensory overload. It is so hard to imagine what it would be like for a child with a sensory disorder. Please feel free to rant when needed. You need a safe place, too :).

Aww, thank you! I don't talk about it much, because the family likes to act like she doesn't have anything wrong and we exaggerate her issues and make excuses for her being a brat. Yeah, I'm pretty sure all those trips to therapy, all the doctor appointments, and all the meltdowns and judgmental stares are all because we're feeding off drama and attention. :unamused: It can be hard, but I try to remind myself of how far she has come and the progress she's made. :)
    I really feel for you on this. My oldest son was extremely hard work at that age. All my family were sympathetic but still thought he'd 'grow out of it'. I remember telling my mum that I would cut off my right arm if it would just make everything easy for him. I was being 100% totally honest, and I still feel like this, despite him now being 18m and with all that he's achieved. She got really angry with me, and that's when I knew that although she loved us all, she would never understand.
    Hugs to you.

That's what I get all the time. "She'll outgrow it", "she's just being a brat", and my favorite "bust her *kitten* more and she'll quit that"; we've actually been told "if you'd give her a bath more often she wouldn't freak out like that". I guess giving her a shower daily isn't often enough? :unamused: I try to just ignore it, but it still really gets to me.
    Yeah. You almost wish a special needs child on some people, to see if they'd finally get it.

The bad part is, some of the ones saying that have a kid with, get this, THE SAME DISORDER! I'm not kidding.
    :#
    Well, it will be interesting to see all the kids when they are grown up and to see how the whooping worked vs. the therapies. Please know that the time and energy you invest now will be SO worth it in the long run. Also, know that she probably won't thank you!

Thank you! I try to ignore them as much as I can, especially when they "advise" me against having another child because we'll "*kitten* her up" if we do. *insert eye roll and facepalm* I know she'll hate me one day, and I'll irritate her and piss her off, but right now, I soak in every hug, kiss, and "I wuv you Mommy" she gives me! :)

Sorry I'm way behind but I can't believe that people say that to you!! I'm so angry right now. You sound like an amazing mom. I think we have daughters around the same age. Mine will be 3 in September.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9" and currently 134. I was originally looking to get down to 135, but I'm now looking to pack on some weight again in the form of muscle. Not sure if I want to do that in the form of a bulk or a recomp. I'd be happy to send you some progress photos, if that would help you.

My biggest regret is not weight training more consistently in my weight loss, if I'm being honest.

Eventually, once goals are close to being met or have already passed, this is what it will come down to. If you want to be skinny as a rail, fine. Diet and cardio all day, every day. But unless you are naturally blessed, if you want a fitness magazine cover body, you HAVE to do some strength training.
    Serious question here: What if you don't want that? I'm 47 - the only people who see me naked is my husband and my dog (she judges me - she recently lost 15% of her bodyweight and is smug about it). I live in a climate where I'm covered up a lot of the time. All I really want is to look ok in my clothes. I feel like MFP is often all about lifting weights, and I'm just not interested in doing that.

I agree with all of this. I feel like there's a lot of pressure from a lot of people to jump on the weight lifting bandwagon for aesthetic reasons, and a lot of people throw out "LIFT HEAVY" as the be all and end all of exercise without considering other people's interest/disinterest/goals/physical limitations/aspirations/time/what have you.

This morning there was a thread started by a person who was depressed because they weighed in at 501 pounds, and one of the first suggestions was that they start squatting and deadlifting. Seriously? SMDH. I get the feeling that people don't read the original post, they just respond with an automatic blurb.

On the other hand, weight lifting (OR resistance training, and THAT IS THE KEY!) is great for reasons aside from aesthetics... it strengthens bones and bone density, aids in living independently into old age, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to squat 300 lbs and bench press 1000, or look like Arnold, or stand in front of the mirror kissing your muscles and taking selfies. I just believe that an exercise routine should be balanced like an "eating routine" (don'twanttosaydiet) should be balanced.

sorry if this came across as judge-y *hangs head in shame and slinks off*

I bolded both because I agree with both. I think there is a lot of emphasis on heavy lifting and I have browsed the 5x5 ( looks kind of scary). My goal isn't to be magazine cover fit, I am fine with being "average" with some squish as long as I can fit into regular sized clothes.

But I am also in @52cardpickup's camp because since I have been doing strength training, I love being able to help carry appliances in the house or lift the couch whereas before I struggled.

I lift weights to feel strong too, I'd love to have a good looking body but strength is my main goal now.

I love that I can scoff in the grocery store employee's faces when they ask "Do you need a hand out with that?". I love that I can lift my own boxes at work rather than waiting for a man to come do it (My feminist streak rages when I hear someone say this).

My SO actually lets me carry the dog food now. :)

He was being all chivalrous and trying to take it away from me. I said, "Look, I deadlift waaaaaay more than this. Multiple times. Every second day. For fun." He just laughed and gave in.

I do allow him to carry the heavy groceries, however.

I tip my hat to you. I'm to the point now where my husband gives me a look whenever I try to get him to lift or carry something that's "too heavy" for me. He calls me out for just being lazy. :disappointed:
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    Ok, so what would you all think about your husband/boyfriend/SO sexting coworkers.

I'm stuggling with my feelings right now. :(

All of the NOPE! Not okay! It's cheating...

Thanks for the replies guys. This is why my heart is broken and I've been so (BEYOND) depressed lately. I haven't talked to him since last Sunday. I have cried every day.

I did the bad thing and checked on his phone because he's been so secretive (I was able to guess the password). I saw a lot of things that I never wanted to see.

I love him so I'm struggling with my feelings right now. I know most people can't change but maybe therapy? I don't know. I am in that strange place where I don't want to be without him but I don't want to be with him if he can't change. :'(

Sorry to complain. I feel like it's cheating too since it's a violation of trust and he is being inappropriate. We are going to meet up Friday to talk. This is the guy I've been with for almost 11 years.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Therapy will only work if he is willing to go & work through it. If he's not willing to change, it might be time to say good bye. I can't imagine how difficult that will be, but you deserve so much better! I know personally if I stuck around, I would be paranoid and wanting to check phones/emails/texts all the time. That's no way to live.

Bolded would be my worry, too. I'm so sorry. Good luck with your meeting on Friday and try to not let it consume you too much in the meantime.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Depending on age (she is 18+, right?), she's probably exercising her own ability to be 'somewhat' independent without any ill intent towards you or her dad. New adults have a totally different mindset. And don't think I am sticking up for her.... but it's amazing the things I personally took for granted without ever once thinking about my moms feelings. Simple things, too. Like calling to check in or surprise visit, whatev. Even to this day I have to remind myself that my mom still has the same feelings for me now as I do for my own 9 year old daughter and eventually to some degree, I will most likely endure the same hardships and worry that my mom once had. Sticky situation with plenty of room for hurt/misunderstood feelings. GL

Yes, this exactly. I'm not defending her, either, but given her age and the circumstances, I don't think your husband should be taking it personally at ALL. At this age, all they really think about is themselves. They are pretty oblivious to the outside world and that what they say and do and don't do affects others. Clueless. Don't care. Self-absorbed. That's normal to a degree.

Flip side is this: having an adult child move in with you can sometimes turn into a long-term thing that no one is happy with. Getting boomerang kids OUT once they move back in can be tricky. At least she's not doing that.

My husband and I have been together for 15 years. His daughter still prefers spending time with her mom and that side of the family over us. Fine. We've learned to accept it. We have different lifestyles and as long as we get to see the grandkids regularly we all accept each others choices and preferences. I guess I'm saying that even after she matures and becomes independent she may not want to spend time with you then, either. Sure, it bothers my husband that his daughter is that way but we've learned that it's not a personal attack.

I'm cool with that, really I am, but I'm not going to be her storage unit or her cat's caretaker. If she doesn't want to be a part of our lives, fine, we've done just fine the last 15 years without her, but don't use us either and don't get my husband's hopes up of having a relationship that she has no intent on having.

• CountessKitteh
    Options
    I'm caught up! Now for my real confession:

I am up 17 pounds from November, when I started this new job. I have also been back in the gym, lifting, since November. I have been telling myself that the weight gain is because I'm lifting. I know that is not true, but I can't seem to rein in. The scale hit 190 today.... :'(

I think the thing that p!sses me off the most is that I know what I should be doing. I know the formula for success. And yet, I don't follow it. Urgh.

It's not easy and it sure isn't fun. But you should take solace in the fact that have no doubt gained muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. I'm sorry I couldn't resist throwing that bit in there. :wink:

Seriously though, don't be so hard on yourself, you look fantastic and focusing on your weight gain negates all the PR's you've smashed this year. Be proud of those. Hugs, my friend.

I needed to be reminded of that. Thanks. The stupid number on the stupid scale threw me for a stupid loop this morning.

ETA: That's also why I changed my profile pic to what it currently is...

Stupid is the key word! It gets us all sometimes. :(

Page 821! (now up to 834)
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

Yes, this exactly. I'm not defending her, either, but given her age and the circumstances, I don't think your husband should be taking it personally at ALL. At this age, all they really think about is themselves. They are pretty oblivious to the outside world and that what they say and do and don't do affects others. Clueless. Don't care. Self-absorbed. That's normal to a degree.

Flip side is this: having an adult child move in with you can sometimes turn into a long-term thing that no one is happy with. Getting boomerang kids OUT once they move back in can be tricky. At least she's not doing that.

My husband and I have been together for 15 years. His daughter still prefers spending time with her mom and that side of the family over us. Fine. We've learned to accept it. We have different lifestyles and as long as we get to see the grandkids regularly we all accept each others choices and preferences. I guess I'm saying that even after she matures and becomes independent she may not want to spend time with you then, either. Sure, it bothers my husband that his daughter is that way but we've learned that it's not a personal attack.

Yup. To a less or greater form, it's to be expected. Kids become adults and want their independence to run off without a leash but are often far less willing to give up their assumed provisions of room/board/transportation. Eventually as they evolve you hope they develop a sense of understanding on how it is to be a well functioning adult in todays society.
  • MoHousdon
    Options

How awful. That is really hurtful. Will he ask her why she is being this way, or is he more the type to just keep his feelings to himself? I feel like sometimes young adults and older teens don't realize how selfish they are being and a wake up call can help. I'm not sure if it would help in this situation though, but your husband may feel better if he at least tries to talk to her about what she is doing. That sucks.

He told me last night he was going to talk to her about how he feels. I really hope he does. I asked him why he's not upset that she's disrespecting him, and he said he is sad that she doesn't want to spend time with us. I think he's too sad to feel angry. He also told me that he's just happy he has any type of relationship with her even if it's not much of one.

The one thing that really set me off last night was he told me that she told them she's been sleeping on her mom's couch without cushions for the past 2+ weeks. This pissed me to the nth degree because she has her own bedroom with a queen size pillow top mattress at our house, yet she'd rather sleep on a cushionless couch.

I fell way behind and caught up finally. I'm dealing with disrespectful stepkids myself, but they aren't grown yet.

I believe she would not have a key to my home if this were happening to me. If she wants to stay there when you are home, she's welcome to stop by, but she doesn't "live" there. If she wants to live there, she adheres to the rules / common courtesy. Period. Otherwise, she would not be coming and going from my home at will like that.

Either my husband would tell her or I would. Your daughter is seeing this behavior, and it's setting an example for her. I would not allow it. But, I'm a huge stickler for respect. That's part of why the stepkids don't like me. They were regularly disrespectful to my husband when we first got together. I told them that disrespect toward their father would absolutely not be tolerated in my home whether he had enforced it before or not.

I feel this way too. We don't just hand out keys so whoever can come and go as they please. It's just a really sucky situation. You know, she doesn't need a key if she's not going to actually be living there. I will bring that up with my husband tonight.

• MoHousdon
    Options

Holy bed batman! I'd be there in a heartbeat, I didn't get my first "big girl bed" (aka anything besides a twin bed) until I was 24!! Totes jealous! Yes I said totes :)

I slept on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed until I was 20 when I got married and moved out. Then, I slept on a God awful futon for several months until I finally had enough and bought the queen. She's damn lucky and she just doesn't even appreciate it.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Holy bed batman! I'd be there in a heartbeat, I didn't get my first "big girl bed" (aka anything besides a twin bed) until I was 24!! Totes jealous! Yes I said totes :)

I slept on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed until I was 20 when I got married and moved out. Then, I slept on a God awful futon for several months until I finally had enough and bought the queen. She's damn lucky and she just doesn't even appreciate it.

Ask her, point blank, why she's at your house. Make her put it into words, and if her answer doesn't match her actions, point that out to her and ask her why. If you or your husband just do the talking, it'll go in one ear and out the other. Require her to be active in the conversation.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9" and currently 134. I was originally looking to get down to 135, but I'm now looking to pack on some weight again in the form of muscle. Not sure if I want to do that in the form of a bulk or a recomp. I'd be happy to send you some progress photos, if that would help you.

My biggest regret is not weight training more consistently in my weight loss, if I'm being honest.

Eventually, once goals are close to being met or have already passed, this is what it will come down to. If you want to be skinny as a rail, fine. Diet and cardio all day, every day. But unless you are naturally blessed, if you want a fitness magazine cover body, you HAVE to do some strength training.
    Serious question here: What if you don't want that? I'm 47 - the only people who see me naked is my husband and my dog (she judges me - she recently lost 15% of her bodyweight and is smug about it). I live in a climate where I'm covered up a lot of the time. All I really want is to look ok in my clothes. I feel like MFP is often all about lifting weights, and I'm just not interested in doing that.

I agree with all of this. I feel like there's a lot of pressure from a lot of people to jump on the weight lifting bandwagon for aesthetic reasons, and a lot of people throw out "LIFT HEAVY" as the be all and end all of exercise without considering other people's interest/disinterest/goals/physical limitations/aspirations/time/what have you.

This morning there was a thread started by a person who was depressed because they weighed in at 501 pounds, and one of the first suggestions was that they start squatting and deadlifting. Seriously? SMDH. I get the feeling that people don't read the original post, they just respond with an automatic blurb.

On the other hand, weight lifting (OR resistance training, and THAT IS THE KEY!) is great for reasons aside from aesthetics... it strengthens bones and bone density, aids in living independently into old age, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to squat 300 lbs and bench press 1000, or look like Arnold, or stand in front of the mirror kissing your muscles and taking selfies. I just believe that an exercise routine should be balanced like an "eating routine" (don'twanttosaydiet) should be balanced.

I bolded both because I agree with both. I think there is a lot of emphasis on heavy lifting and I have browsed the 5x5 ( looks kind of scary). My goal isn't to be magazine cover fit, I am fine with being "average" with some squish as long as I can fit into regular sized clothes.

But I am also in @52cardpickup's camp because since I have been doing strength training, I love being able to help carry appliances in the house or lift the couch whereas before I struggled.

I lift weights to feel strong too, I'd love to have a good looking body but strength is my main goal now.

I love that I can scoff in the grocery store employee's faces when they ask "Do you need a hand out with that?". I love that I can lift my own boxes at work rather than waiting for a man to come do it (My feminist streak rages when I hear someone say this).

My SO actually lets me carry the dog food now. :)

He was being all chivalrous and trying to take it away from me. I said, "Look, I deadlift waaaaaay more than this. Multiple times. Every second day. For fun." He just laughed and gave in.

I do allow him to carry the heavy groceries, however.

Hahaha, love this. I've taken on carrying the dog food and cat food, but I still let him manage the cat litter!
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I was just trying to make sure I wasn't overreacting with how I was feeling (like I was cheated on in a way).
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I was just trying to make sure I wasn't overreacting with how I was feeling (like I was cheated on in a way).

You were cheated on in a way, in a big way. This is not a reflection of you or your perception. It is strictly on him!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

I'm cool with that, really I am, but I'm not going to be her storage unit or her cat's caretaker. If she doesn't want to be a part of lives, fine, we've done just fine the last 15 years without her, but don't use us either.

Oh, definitely. We don't let the kids keep any of their crap stuff at our house, either. None of them were too happy about it, but whatever.

And I'm afraid she's using your husbands guilt (although unjustified on his part) and his dislike of confrontations to her advantage. Yes, I said at that age they are self-centered and clueless, but they are also very good manipulators! Good at using things to their advantage and ignoring all the rest.
  • CountessKitteh
    Options

I think I love this phrase.
  • MoHousdon
    Options

I totally get all that her wanting to independent and whatnot, however, we were nice enough to offer her a place to stay when she didn't have anywhere else to go, and not only that, but we bought her a BRAND NEW CAR (my husband drives a 1963 Chevy pickup) when she totaled her other car, after her only being in our lives for not even 2 months. She has not paid a single penny towards said car with regards to insurance, payment, or anything. The deal was when we bought the car, she would be 100% responsible for the insurance, and tags, and she'd pay what she could towards the payment each month. Her tags are due this month and I told my husband WE ARE NOT PAYING FOR HER TAGS!

I know a lot of what my husband is doing is trying to make up for not being able to be in her life while she was growing up (not his decision) but he can't make up for it and he needs to stop trying (although, knowing him, he never will. The guilt is just too much even though it was totally out of his control.) And she needs to quit being a selfish brat that's taking advantage of our generosity. Young adult or not, there's still such a thing as common courtesy.

Uuugh that's pretty tough position to be in. Sounds like she needs some tough love from the person not willing to give her any out of fear of pushing her further away.

100% THIS!!!

• FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    I'm in tears reading all these responses but I want to say sincerly thank you for listening and giving opinions. This was what i needed and I appreciate all of you. I have no one else I can really talk to about it.
    Thank you.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    ttcbelieve wrote: »
    i get pint of ice cream, take half a cup and immediately put water in the remaining ice cream jar to make sure I don't have more. PS...yes I tried throwing it in the garbage but technically if the lid is still on, you can take it out and have some more ;-)

Could you purchase the tiny single serve cups? Even Ben & Jerry's has some of their flavors in those!

Here (Saudi Arabia) the tiny single serving cups only have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and cookies 'n cream in my favorite ice cream brand. :-/ All of the really good flavors only come in the 500mL and up containers! I hate that! >.<