Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure my frustration recently at trying to keep up with this thread is whenever I click on this thread it takes me to the last post instead of where I left off. Then I have to page back. Then I miss posts. Then I'm behind anyway.

In light of that, I'm probably the only person that is actually happy when @Francl27 double (or triple) posts because that's one less post I have to catch up on!

Seconded. Also, sorry @Francl27 I think it's funny and I love your various reactions when it happens. :smile:

Me too! I know it's annoying to you b
    ythannah wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    tigerThea wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Rabbit914 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're a naturally strong person, so you probably don't need it. I do. I'm quite the weakling. Well, physically anyway. Mentally, no. Mentally I'm known as the Boot Camp Drill Sargent in my family. Physically, well??? Let's just say that sometimes going in and out of the grocery store I step onto the automatic door thingy and the door doesn't open. Thankfully, I learned from "Toy Story" to jump up and down once or twice and the door opens. My son finds this highly amusing and will lag behind me just to watch it happen.

See and I can picture that and it's awesome. haha

Awesomely embarrassing, yes!

I don't jump up and down, but sometimes I have to cha cha back and forth to catch the sensor. We'd be a blast trying to get into the store together.

I can join your little group. I was following someone into a store one day and the door almost closed on me. Scared the crap outta me and I probably looked funny jumping out of the way. Maybe all three of us could get it to work lol.

Apparently I walk too fast....or lack a soul, I have walked into those darn doors more than once. Maybe I'll try disco dancing up to them to give the doors a chance.

LOL, that's what I've said about myself when they won't work :grin:

I am currently drinking a protein shake. Why, oh why can they not make a protein powder that tastes good?!

Two words: Dyna Whey. Available at Superstore (and Costco, if you have one).

But ONLY in Canada, because you are greedy protein that doesn't taste icky bastages.

Oh, gosh. You weren't supposed to see that. o:)

I seriously think of you every damn morning when I open the container (it's in Tupperware) and the aroma of iced cappuccino wafts out at me.

Which brings me to a strange confession... for someone who loathes cooking, and all aspects of meal preparation, I own craploads of Tupperware. All acquired in my younger years when I was not very well off, and that stuff's bloody expensive. I think maybe I had a fantasy that it would make me enjoy cooking, or make it easier, or something like that.

Apparently, this is why I cannot keep Tupperware in the house. I buy it. But I like to cook. Then the kids and everyone else takes home leftover food in the containers and they NEVER BRING THEM BACK! I have been known to go to my kids' houses and rummage through the cabinet, saying "This is mine and this is mine...".

Not sure where that weird half post came from. Tried to edit it, but couldn't. Sorry!

My mom does that. Seriously, I have to raid her cabinets and get my containers back myself lol! I cook, sometimes let her and daddy have what's left, and never see my container(s) again. Usually when I go over there, I'm like, "why the hell are all MY dishes at YOUR house?!" Then I laugh, she laughs, and I bring my dishes back home. I could probably just buy a new set, but I'm too cheap. I found the sets I have on sale on Black Friday the year we moved. (Yeah, everyone else was shopping at Walmart for gifts, I was more excited about the $1.74 towels and washcloths, the $7 Rubbermaid "Tupperware" sets, and the $100 vacuum cleaner I got on sale for $40! That was my Christmas in 2013 lol.)

All of my "Tupperware" is essentially the plastic containers deli meat comes in. LOL Except for my cake taker. That's legit.

Yup. I don't see any reason to throw it out. And if the kids cut holes in the lids and keep bugs in them, or somebody takes them home with leftovers, it doesn't matter.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Confession: My husband took off work early today and brought flowers to me at my office. I know it's a sweet thing to do, and everybody is oohing and ahhing over the flowers, but I really hate that he came to my office unannounced. Sometimes, I'm not a very nice wife. I will play happy and not say anything negative to him, though. He'll probably have fresh flowers at home, too. He brings me grocery store flowers regularly.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    This potty training fiasco is really testing my patience right now. I love my kid, and I know she has other issues, but holy hell this is an exhausting venture! :rage:

I waited until mine were way too old to do it. I admire people who have the courage to do it with 2yos... My kids were 4.

Believe it or not, many Arabs insist that their children have to be potty trained by the age of one. This is especially strict in the non-Gulf Arab countries like Palestine and Syria. An American Muslim lady married to a Palestinian man once confided in my mother that she felt like a parenting failure because of her in-laws' shock that her son wasn't potty trained when he was one.

Aw that's sad! She shouldn't feel that way, kids all learn at different paces!

This may be a silly question so I apologize, but, when you're speaking with your husband or friends and family do y'all speak Arabic then? Does everyone know English? Yours is better than mine I feel like! :)

My husband is fluent in English, and we use English exclusively at home (we have a rented apartment where we live alone). His family speaks very little English, so I use Arabic when I'm visiting their home.

My immediate family uses English exclusively at home as well (my mom is American and doesn't understand a lot of Arabic), but my father's family speaks next to no English and I speak Arabic there.

When I worked, I spoke Arabic with my colleagues, because most of them didn't speak much English either, but most of the population in Saudi Arabia and Oman (especially the younger generation) do have rudimentary knowledge of English, and many actually have excellent English language skills. It really depends on where you are. If you're in the capital, you'll find 99% of the people speak English and I'll usually use English with them because I'm completely fluent in English and only about 85% fluent in Arabic. If you're in the villages or interior regions of Oman, you won't find many English speakers at all. :)

Why does everyone keep apologizing for asking me questions? Am I that intimidating? Bombard me, people, I don't mind! ;) And for God's sake, everyone stop apologizing! :o
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Wow, today has been busy in here. I can't even begin to keep up :). But my name is Shirley. I hate it. Who the heck names their kid Shirley :).

My oldest daughter is Rachel, and although I can't admit this to my DH, she was named after the Friend's character. Both daughters have somewhat unusual middle names, Raven and Rain. No Shirleys, because I just couldn't do that to them :).
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Wow, today has been busy in here. I can't even begin to keep up :). But my name is Shirley. I hate it. Who the heck names their kid Shirley :).

My oldest daughter is Rachel, and although I can't admit this to my DH, she was named after the Friend's character. Both daughters have somewhat unusual middle names, Raven and Rain. No Shirleys, because I just couldn't do that to them :).

I think I mentioned it earlier when we were talking names, but I have an UNCLE named Shirley. he goes by his middle name. LOL
    My middle name is Lou. My mom is Linda Lou (yes, just like the Lynyrd Skynyrd song).
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Susie, another faith-based question for you, and as always I apologise if this is in any way offensive to ask:
    I was just out for my run and saw two little girls (maybe 4-5 years old) both wearing the hijab. This confuses me when I see it, because I always thought girls transitioned when they began their periods i.e. became a woman. Is that not right? Is it different denominations of Islam have different rules. Or is it not rules but guidelines?
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    I would be pissed, like I said in my last post, I would want to freak out.....

I have read a lot of the posts that say it is a deal breaker, and while some people feel that way, I do not always think it is that easy.

If it is some guy you have been with a few months or something, of course, get out right away. But if it is someone you have been with for many years and otherwise the relationship is good and this is not repeat behavior, IMO you really have to decide if it is something worth throwing the whole relationship out.

I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I do not believe the monogamy is natural for humans. Most animals are not monogamous. Even if you are doing your best to be monogamous, sometimes you become drawn to something you cannot control.

I am a firm believer that some people will always cheat, and some people may never, but given the right set of circumstances EVERYONE is capable of cheating. Ever see the movie Unfaithful? Perfect example.

Thanks. I appreciate it. This is the approach I'm taking. Like I said I haven't talked to him so I want to see what he has to say. I don't know if it's a good idea but as I've been going through things this week, I've been writing down thoughts/feelings. If he is open to listening, I want to share how it's affected me. Overall he has been great so this is a surprise. I'm not sure he realized how bad this really is. But then again, he was hiding it so maybe he does...

I have five free therapy sessions through work so I'm going to get his schedule and figure out when we are both free to go and make an appointment if he is willing. If not, I will give up.

I agree though. I think that monogamy is hard for a lot of people and probably not natural. However, I'd rather have someone admit to me that they aren't happy being with just me instead of going behind my back. If he is a man who wants to be in a relationship with me, I don't want to share and he will have to say no to temptation.

And yes, I've seen Unfaithful. That is a sad movie. :(

Also, I hope you are doing okay. I love the pictures of your rodent baby and I feel so bad for you. At least you know he had a good life with you!

I can't read books, stories, or watch movies like this, just makes me sick all over again. I do believe people can be monogamous, yes it's super hard and you have to work at it TOGETHER, but that is what COMMITMENT is. If you want to be in an open relationship, by all means do whatever floats your boat- but it's the lying and hiding things that are the problems. No good can come of it. My parents just celebrated their 31st wedding anniversary and I have no idea if either strayed nor do I want to know as it's their business but seeing as they're still very much in love and just how their relationship dynamic is I highly doubt either ever has. Again, monogamy is difficult but doable. I think saying we're not meant to be monogamous is a cop out personally, or giving people an excuse, but that's just my opinion!

I agree. I've been faithful to my husband for 15 years and have never had any difficulties staying monogamous. To my knowledge, the same is true of him, even though there have been times when he's had the opportunity to cheat. We made a promise to each other when we were married. Marriage isn't easy, but we both work hard to make it work. We're both committed to our family. Society today condones adultery and makes excuses for people's bad behavior. I say people need to be responsible for their own behavior and quit making excuses. Show some integrity, people!

I completely agree with this. :)
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    I confess that I have been putting off telling you all this good news but...

My son was awarded a scholarship from our state due to his disability that covers the cost of his private school (tried a few public schools but our state is scraping bottom in public schools and it was a horrible experience) and tutoring and therapies. The fact that as a single mom just starting a career (2 years now) I am able to see him get all the support he needs to be his best person - this is awesome! This can only be used for very specifically approved things but saves me so much money that I would have found somehow but now can use for other necessities as well. This is such a relief and completely unexpected.

Then I just got an email from a club I belong to (because my son loves this particular hobby) where all the guys in the club are making him a project of this hobby to have ready for him when he gets home (awwwwwwwww). He has about 70 grandpa's who have taken him in to their hearts in this club that has to do with model trains. :smile:

My daughter is doing very well with her food and mood and I've actually seen her laugh a few times today (she's interning with me so we have lots of together time.) One of my favorite bands (Cake) is going to be in town when I'm out of town and she is planning to go to the concert with her friends (she looked so smug about it I had to laugh).

MY (can you tell I"m smitten) SO booked us our haunted hotel room in a ghost town for our Halloween plans and he has already ordered his Dread Pirate Roberts costume. I guess I'd best get working on that Princess Buttercup wedding dress...

Today is a good day.
    Hooray for good days!
    b2z09sj2dvj5.gif

Double like because that's a pit bull smile. They're the BEST!!!

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    This potty training fiasco is really testing my patience right now. I love my kid, and I know she has other issues, but holy hell this is an exhausting venture! :rage:

I waited until mine were way too old to do it. I admire people who have the courage to do it with 2yos... My kids were 4.

Believe it or not, many Arabs insist that their children have to be potty trained by the age of one. This is especially strict in the non-Gulf Arab countries like Palestine and Syria. An American Muslim lady married to a Palestinian man once confided in my mother that she felt like a parenting failure because of her in-laws' shock that her son wasn't potty trained when he was one.

This may be a silly question so I apologize, but, when you're speaking with your husband or friends and family do y'all speak Arabic then? Does everyone know English? Yours is better than mine I feel like! :)

My husband is fluent in English, and we use English exclusively at home (we have a rented apartment where we live alone). His family speaks very little English, so I use Arabic when I'm visiting their home.

My immediate family uses English exclusively at home as well (my mom is American and doesn't understand a lot of Arabic), but my father's family speaks next to no English and I speak Arabic there.

When I worked, I spoke Arabic with my colleagues, because most of them didn't speak much English either, but most of the population in Saudi Arabia and Oman (especially the younger generation) do have rudimentary knowledge of English, and many actually have excellent English language skills. It really depends on where you are. If you're in the capital, you'll find 99% of the people speak English and I'll usually use English with them because I'm completely fluent in English and only about 85% fluent in Arabic. If you're in the villages or interior regions of Oman, you won't find many English speakers at all. :)

Why does everyone keep apologizing for asking me questions? Am I that intimidating? Bombard me, people, I don't mind! ;) And for God's sake, everyone stop apologizing! :o

Haha sorry for apologizing and just doing it again there!! :) thanks for answering my question that is so neat you're Bilingual!
  • EuthaJ
    EuthaJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to buying fitness magazines......That I hardly read!
  • Tubbs216
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oops, sorry - got my locations wrong!
    I'm British AND Canadian - I can't help but apologise!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Susie, another faith-based question for you, and as always I apologise if this is in any way offensive to ask:
    I was just out for my run and saw two little girls (maybe 4-5 years old) both wearing the hijab. This confuses me when I see it, because I always thought girls transitioned when they began their periods i.e. became a woman. Is that not right? Is it different denominations of Islam have different rules. Or is it not rules but guidelines?

We're required to cover when we reach puberty, and not before. Puberty is defined by beginning one of three things, whichever comes first: Reaching the age of fifteen, beginning menstruation (or having wet dreams, for boys), or growing pubic hair (TMI? Sorry... Just trying to be thorough!). However, a lot of little girls actually want to wear the scarf, just like some little girls want to wear make up, so they can be like their mother/role model/whatever.

Also, it's encouraged in Islam to try to foster a love for modesty and covering up in children who are younger than the age of puberty, because that way it doesn't become a difficult transition when they get older. :) As you know, teens tend to rebel, and it would be a bad time for a parent to very suddenly enforce the scarf at that age. ;)

So as you thought, younger girls aren't at all required to cover up, but they either wanted to do so or their parents encouraged them to do so from a young age. Usually the younger children don't wear it all the time, just when they feel like it, kind of like a little girl in dress-up clothes. :)

Also, I could have sworn I just told everyone to stop apologizing every time they ask me a question... I'm beginning to feel a little bit like a pariah!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

LOL, duly noted! ;)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Ok, I have to ask, how often are you sorry for being sorry? ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Haha sorry for apologizing and just doing it again there!! :) thanks for answering my question that is so neat you're Bilingual!

Can I pretend to be tri-lingual since I understand British English too? ;)
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Ok, I have to ask, how often are you sorry for being sorry? ;)
    You have no idea.
  • Tubbs216
    Options

Can I pretend to be tri-lingual since I understand British English too? ;)
    Totally, especially if you can understand Scottish people too!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    So, I don't know if anyone remembers my wedding drama from way back in April*, but the short story is that my "best friend" would rather never talk to me again that work out our issues. I feel like I've broken up with a spouse. She and I have been friends longer than I've known my husband. I don't even really understand how she got this mad, and she won't tell me. And that is why I'm taking the Boo Radley challenge (not really, but I'm very sad).

*Cliff notes: She was helping me plan, I decided to elope for many valid reasons, she couldn't make it, she felt I cut her out.

That really really is sad! My best friend died two and a half years ago....and I still morn her daily...so my advice for this is life is too short, do not give up yet!!
  • Tubbs216
    Options

We're required to cover when we reach puberty, and not before. Puberty is defined by beginning one of three things, whichever comes first: Reaching the age of fifteen, beginning menstruation (or having wet dreams, for boys), or growing pubic hair (TMI? Sorry... Just trying to be thorough!). However, a lot of little girls actually want to wear the scarf, just like some little girls want to wear make up, so they can be like their mother/role model/whatever.

Also, it's encouraged in Islam to try to foster a love for modesty and covering up in children who are younger than the age of puberty, because that way it doesn't become a difficult transition when they get older. :) As you know, teens tend to rebel, and it would be a bad time for a parent to very suddenly enforce the scarf at that age. ;)

So as you thought, younger girls aren't at all required to cover up, but they either wanted to do so or their parents encouraged them to do so from a young age. Usually the younger children don't wear it all the time, just when they feel like it, kind of like a little girl in dress-up clothes. :)

Also, I could have sworn I just told everyone to stop apologizing every time they ask me a question... I'm beginning to feel a little bit like a pariah!
    Ok, got it - thanks for explaining.
    Also, sorry for the sorry. ;)
    And since I'm feeling a bit gif-happy this afternoon:
    uaqv0uwbx3io.gif

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

People call my daughter Raven all the time. I'm always saying "No, RaeLYNN, not Raven." She even corrects people, "No, it's Waewynn!" Sigh, I've doomed her to a name everyone will confuse with another lol.