Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Susie, another faith-based question for you, and as always I apologise if this is in any way offensive to ask:
    I was just out for my run and saw two little girls (maybe 4-5 years old) both wearing the hijab. This confuses me when I see it, because I always thought girls transitioned when they began their periods i.e. became a woman. Is that not right? Is it different denominations of Islam have different rules. Or is it not rules but guidelines?

We're required to cover when we reach puberty, and not before. Puberty is defined by beginning one of three things, whichever comes first: Reaching the age of fifteen, beginning menstruation (or having wet dreams, for boys), or growing pubic hair (TMI? Sorry... Just trying to be thorough!). However, a lot of little girls actually want to wear the scarf, just like some little girls want to wear make up, so they can be like their mother/role model/whatever.

Also, it's encouraged in Islam to try to foster a love for modesty and covering up in children who are younger than the age of puberty, because that way it doesn't become a difficult transition when they get older. :) As you know, teens tend to rebel, and it would be a bad time for a parent to very suddenly enforce the scarf at that age. ;)

So as you thought, younger girls aren't at all required to cover up, but they either wanted to do so or their parents encouraged them to do so from a young age. Usually the younger children don't wear it all the time, just when they feel like it, kind of like a little girl in dress-up clothes. :)

Also, I could have sworn I just told everyone to stop apologizing every time they ask me a question... I'm beginning to feel a little bit like a pariah!

I don't believe I have ever apologized. ;)

Edited to add the winky guy as I realized that made me sound like I was being b**chy when I was trying to be funny. Dry humor does not come across well online...

I am still waiting for someone to invent a "sarcasm" font.

Yes! I think that's why I overuse 'LOL'.

I vaugely remember seeing this on like, tumbler. It was something like making every other letter italics.

Oh, really? (actual interest) became Oh, really? (seriously?)

ETA: That was WAY too much work.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Confession: I'm not on facebook as I don't often (this thread exception) put much online. I felt that with my career I may at some point need a high security clearance and just felt as I have friends of all types I didn't want to be judged by their opinions (especially as I might not share their opinions) I have a LinkedIn and a twitter and they are strictly professional.

Background: I am very middle of the road politically. I took a quiz and am really not any particular party. I read up and vote on each thing individually and ignore the sound bites and hype and noise. I was on Facebook for a short time. Every time my aunt posted to my page trying to get dramatically far to one side politically I'd make a donation in her honor to the person she opposed.

That seriously made me laugh out loud!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Jumping in on the name thing- I am Cecilia, named after my grandfather Cecil. One of my first bosses called me CC, which I morphed to Ceci. (My family calls me C-ya) My married name is of Greek origin and I love that I have a unique name!

I named my daughter Samantha (would have been Samuel if a boy), because I wanted a Sam. (She goes by Sami now.)

I love the name Cecilia! So pretty! I don't have kids or pets so I name my cars :) My first car in high school and college was named Goldie because she was gold, I know real original! My second car was named Grace because she was the color grey and my car now her name is Cecily! I call her Cess the sesspool haha even though I keep her very tidy! I named her Cecily because she's a Civic! My next car is going to be a Buick Encore and I've already decided to name her Bianca <3

PS. My dad said cars are always girls so I've always just named them girls names!

Fun fact: In Arabic we don't have a gender neutral word like "it" to call objects, so all objects have a gender and are either male or female, so we call them he or she depending on which gender the word falls under. Cars are, in fact, female. ;)

That is cool. Do you get to pick the gender? So can you decide a car is female and a table male? And someone else decide the reverse? Or is everyone aligned?

I'm guessing they are always the same. In Spanish, they have the same thing like "el sol" and "la cucaracha" if you see "el" in front of something, it's masculine, "la" for feminine.

But who made the decision?? Who got to pick?

Fun fact: English used to have gendered articles too but its declensions have lessened as it has evolved. Unsurprising considering that both the germanic and latinate parent languages of English have them too, for the most part.

Declensions in general (that's grammatical gender, case, and number) have always been a feature of language but in my understanding, it's anyone's guess how that stuff really began. The theory behind it is fascinating though. I have a modern languages (Spanish/French major) degree so the historical stuff is not something I know a ton about, but it's definitely interesting.
    I took an Old English class in University and suffered. So many different cases to memorize. It was pretty difficult, but fascinating. And we got to read The Hobbit, which I adore! :smiley:

Languages with a lot of unfamiliar cases etc., are the worst for English speakers to learn IMO - we're just not used to using them because English is so simplified/blended and it's hard to understand if you don't already understand the structure of English grammar very well (for example, when and why we use subjunctive...and what that is, for that matter.) And I don't think it's taught that much before the university level anymore so most people my age at least have never had the opportunity to learn.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I actually love to whistle, but I'm self-conscious and usually don't do it in public unless I'm working (I do it all the time) or I'm extremely happy/giddy. I have met some amazing whistlers and I love listening to them, although I'm sure I'm not among their ranks ;)

My favorite thing ever was when I was at work whistling something and someone near me started whistling the same song, seemingly unconsciously. Almost felt like a mini triumph.

My brother, dad & I like to start singing randomly (only at home). Then we laugh when we get the song stuck in each other head's. I'll start singing and be like "Wait, why is this song stuck in my head" and my dad/bro will just laugh.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I wear the same stinky workout clothes for several days without washing. Ewww gross, I know. Always change my socks though lol
    Questions (not judgement of course):

1) do you mean you don't change out of those workout clothes for days or are you "airing" things out like some of these other ladies?

2) For the ladies airing stuff out would it be just as easy to take those clothes in the bathroom+when you shower and leave them in a sink full of water and Woolite while you shower and the drain the sink while you dress and then hang them to dry for the same lenght of time they would have "aired out"?...without really costing you any more time if thats the issue?

3) Is it the scented trash bag, and what do you do with the yellow drawstring tie it at your waist like sweats?

4) What is the difference between, judgement, curiosity, "nosy" -ness, and concern?

I put my workout clothes on hooks in my bedroom to air them out. Hand washing & wringing seems like wayyyyy too much work lol

be careful of ringworm or tinea though.. i used to do this and got a ringworm infection (could be from the gym) of which i have to use both antifungal pills and cream for > 14 days! need to rewash all my clothes in hot water every day during that time to avoid reinfection.. sob.. too much hard works comes with that.. lessons learned though..

This is what I was thinking at the beginning of the thread when all these confessions were made- this happened to a girl in college who always re-wore workout clothes without washing. I was never one for wearing things more than once or twice anyway, but ever since then I've been paranoid about ringworm! Even when we go camping and hiking I make sure I have an extra clean sports bra and shirt (one more than the number of days we're going for), just in case.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    It's my sister's 25th wedding anniversary on Friday. Any good gift ideas? I'm stumped. They recently got giant scary motorbikes, but I have no idea what would be a good biking present...

Helmets?

25th is silver so anything chrome or silver for the bikes, silver motorcycle ornaments, bracelets, etc. It also depends on which kind of bikes they have- cruisers (like Harleys) or others. Depending on how much you want to spend- a GoPro Camera is always a good biker gift.

Here's an engrave-able charm that comes in silver: Motorcycle Charm

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Skipping 4 pages just to say that I found the Halo Top ice cream at Wegmans. They only had vanilla.

And I'm completely shocked because it's actually VERY good.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Confession: I'm not on facebook as I don't often (this thread exception) put much online. I felt that with my career I may at some point need a high security clearance and just felt as I have friends of all types I didn't want to be judged by their opinions (especially as I might not share their opinions) I have a LinkedIn and a twitter and they are strictly professional.

Background: I am very middle of the road politically. I took a quiz and am really not any particular party. I read up and vote on each thing individually and ignore the sound bites and hype and noise. I was on Facebook for a short time. Every time my aunt posted to my page trying to get dramatically far to one side politically I'd make a donation in her honor to the person she opposed.

Stealing this :) My family is divided between Republicans v Democrats and like most things in life it cracks me up! They all get so heated over it I just sit in the middle and feel like I'm watching a tennis match going back and forth- kind of like on the main forums!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    It's my sister's 25th wedding anniversary on Friday. Any good gift ideas? I'm stumped. They recently got giant scary motorbikes, but I have no idea what would be a good biking present...

Helmets?

25th is silver so anything chrome or silver for the bikes, silver motorcycle ornaments, bracelets, etc. It also depends on which kind of bikes they have- cruisers (like Harleys) or others. Depending on how much you want to spend- a GoPro Camera is always a good biker gift.

Here's an engrave-able charm that comes in silver: Motorcycle Charm

That's a really good idea!! I was racking my brain to no avail, awesome suggestion!
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Skipping 4 pages just to say that I found the Halo Top ice cream at Wegmans. They only had vanilla.

I'm so glad you like it! And so very, very jealous that you found it!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Confession: Part of me wishes you had said it was terrible. The other part of me is totally going to my Wegmans tomorrow.
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    The Smart Ones Chicken Strips and Fries I just had for lunch merely angered me, so I'm eating 2 Oreo Pop Tarts as well.

Ya, those things are puny.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    MissLaaber wrote: »
    TOM started yesterday, which explains why I was so emotional and sensitive this weekend. Two weeks from now I have a bridal shower, elementary (grade school) reunion and a 5k race. I will not binge eat during TOM dammit, I guess there is a lot of tea and gum in my future lol

Not sure if you prefer fruity or minty gum but I just got the Sugar Free Juicy Fruit Strawberry Starburst flavored gum yesterday...and it definitely helped me not binge last night!!!

Does the flavor last longer than 28.9 seconds? :wink:

Well, to be fair...I always have to chew 2 pieces at the same time..for ultimate flavor/juiciness (with all gum..not just this one). But yeah, I would say it did last a decent amount of time...at least 30.5 seconds ;)

Nice.

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    @lovelikewinter, you look great! Love the color of those pants.

@rungirl1973, I get irrationally angry when people show up at my office unannounced (for personal reasons, I mean). I had to put my foot down and am very clear that I do not handle personal issues at work. I still get occasional calls, but I only continue the conversation if it's an emergency. Otherwise I'll say, "Oh, this is a personal issue. I'll call you back later tonight."

Just a me thing. When I'm at work I like to be professional and not intertwine my personal life.

YES! I asked him while he was here, "Is that it?" and he started to lean down to give me a kiss. NOOOO

I don't mind text messages or emails, I can respond to those when I have time. Personal phone calls are for emergencies only and visits? Ugh. Come at lunchtime and I'll meet you outside.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    dmwh142 wrote: »
    I read in Readers Digest that the smell of Green Apples or Bananas can help reduce cravings. I am struggling to stay at my goal weight and am considering taking up vaping and using a banana scent. Has anyone ever had success with this?

(Not judging...not judging...not judging :s ) There are no scientific studies on how bad vaping might be. I would definitely NOT try vaping just to promote your weight loss. I suspect there are more dangerous chemicals in vaping than people are aware of. Nothing to back that up, all personal opinion.

I am not judging people who vape. But to take it up just to lose weight seems dangerous. Just work the math. Eat less calories than you burn = weight loss.

There aren't, though. There are only 4 ingredients - propelyne glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine, and food flavoring. They are all FDA approved, and it's basically the same thing used in fog machines at concerts and plays. Using a non-nic juice to vape with is no different than standing on stage with a fog machine.

My husband mixes his own because it's cheaper (and he likes pretending he's a mad scientist, but he won't admit it).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »
    Ok so folks that remember the litany of cats in my life... Porch Kitty showed up today with...3 kittens. God help me.

Oh no! I went through a period where every animal I had was somehow pregnant. I rescued a cat whose owners just moved out of our apartment building and left her - she gave birth to three kittens about a month later.

Then, I adopted a hamster from the pet store. The next morning I heard a strange noise and low and behold she had given birth overnight, which was weird because they supposedly separate them by gender in the store. I guess I can't blame them though - because it's pretty hard to tell. After they were weaned I bought a separate cage for the boys, and one of the girls still somehow got pregnant again before I could find homes for all of them. I felt like a hamster mill.

Same with the hamster for me! My college boyfriend and I got one as a pet (my boyfriend picked it out..thought he was so cute because he was so happy and "dancing" along the side of the cage). Anyway, 2 weeks later, we woke up to find 9 babies in the cage with "him" (obviously not a him!). We called the pet store to see what we could do and they said "Sorry, we don't take animals from local breeders"...Umm, noooo...we didn't breed anything! You sold us a pregnant hamster. Apparently, hamsters are only pregnant for 2 weeks...so we laughed that the reason our hamster seemed so happy and dancing in the cage was because it had just mated with another!
    Anyway...we ended up with 10 hamsters! :(

This made me laugh, similar thing happened to my parents when I was about 6. They bought us our first family pets, 2 rats (hated the idea at the time but they were lovely little things). A few weeks after my parents heard me shrieking from downstairs because there were 'fat pink things' in the cage. My brother and I tried to convince my parents to keep the 7 babies but in the end they gave the 2 originals and some of the babies back and we kept 4 haha.

On an unrelated note, confession for today; I went out for lunch with some Uni friends to celebrate the end of term, only had mushroom soup and half a baguette, but guestimated towards the higher end calorie wise just to be safe. Had every intention of coming home to work out and burn it off as the guestimation was eating into my daily allowance, but I'm now at home with my stomach feeling rubbish :( hopefully I'll have perked up enough to do it later, but it's not looking good.

On the plus side, I got an essay back today and I got a pretty good grade, so at least something good has come from today haha

Congrats on the good grade! Sorry for the tummy issues. I would've thought mushroom soup would have been a safe choice. Feel better soon!
  • rungirl1973
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Jumping in on the name thing- I am Cecilia, named after my grandfather Cecil. One of my first bosses called me CC, which I morphed to Ceci. (My family calls me C-ya) My married name is of Greek origin and I love that I have a unique name!

I named my daughter Samantha (would have been Samuel if a boy), because I wanted a Sam. (She goes by Sami now.)

I love the name Cecilia! So pretty! I don't have kids or pets so I name my cars :) My first car in high school and college was named Goldie because she was gold, I know real original! My second car was named Grace because she was the color grey and my car now her name is Cecily! I call her Cess the sesspool haha even though I keep her very tidy! I named her Cecily because she's a Civic! My next car is going to be a Buick Encore and I've already decided to name her Bianca <3

PS. My dad said cars are always girls so I've always just named them girls names!

My sister has always named her cars, too! Her first car was ''Ringo Carr'' after the Beatles' Ringo Starr ;)

I only named my first car. I called it Beastly (like from Care Bears) because it had a hole in the muffler and was pretty loud.

I never named a car, but you have all reminded me of my grandpa. He passed away when I was 13, but I remember he named every car "Old Jenny". We still call cars Old Jenny just cuz.
    Also, he named every dog he ever had "Frisky". So there was Frisky 1, Frisky 2, etc etc etc. LOL
    I remember as a kid trying to name the chickens, but I couldn't get them to keep still long enough to let me catch them and name them.
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    Caught up, and I feel like I took over page 873 lol.

I watched this incredibly sad (& touching) video last night that has left me kind of an emotional wreck today. So there were a few more recent posts here that had me tearing up in a big way. It showed up on FB, but I think it says it's from vimeo.com It's called "Denali", if you're curious - BUT I wouldn't recommend watching it at work or anything, because if you're a dog lover/have a heart, you will most likely cry. I was ugly crying last night, and oh crap, I'm tearing up again.
  • rungirl1973
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    [="Francl27;32842296"]I confess that after hearing everyone butchering my name, I just decided to use very common and traditional names for my kids. And also considered changing my name when I got my US citizenship a year ago... just decided against it because I didn't want more paperwork.

Even though I had a popular name, I named my kids traditional names. I tried not to give them a top 10 name like mine, but I did choose regular names with regular spellings. I 100% don't judge what other parents do. I feel like I have to say that. Not judgmental!

Also, I don't plan to change my last name since being married. My oldest has my last name and I feel like it would be pretty crappy to leave him as the only one with that name. Also, I don't care about that particular tradition and my husband doesn't care either. We know we are married.

My husband would love if I change mine, but I've had this last name for 43 years. The different last name is just not me.

If that makes sense.

It makes sense to me!

I changed my maiden to married name only to help with immigration - I had never intended to change my name. I am STILL changing it back two + years after the divorce. It is a hassle and involves sending original documents all over the place and providing documentation that I am the same person. I like my original name better. I would like to marry again given the right man (SO may be it but I'm in no hurry and I want to do it right if I do it at all) but I will not change my name again. My name is part of my professional identity and I was even able to get my degree issued in my maiden name (whoo hooo!). So while in private I would be ok with Mrs. Future Husband (if there is one) in my work life and on legal documents I remain Dr. Nonoelmo. :wink:
    [/quote]

I didn't change my name when I got married, but I did change it when I made the move to this job last year. The old name was the same as my kids' last name, but they're grown now so it isn't a big deal to fill out school forms and such. I wasn't attached to the old last name, and I haven't had my maiden name since 1993 so I changed it.

Edited to try to fix the quotes, but they refuse to be fixed.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Stealing this :) My family is divided between Republicans v Democrats and like most things in life it cracks me up! They all get so heated over it I just sit in the middle and feel like I'm watching a tennis match going back and forth- kind of like on the main forums!

I also love this idea. I am very middle of the road, too. However, if I take those online quizzes, I come out Libertarian.