Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Hello from page 880.

7wrnd99vylq9.gif
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    @Susieq_1994 Would you post (or PM) your hummus recipe pretty please? I have cooked chickpeas and tahini and lemon and I think all of the other ingredients already at home. Thank you!

Someone posted a Roasted Curried Cauliflower that looks great! Here is the recipe I mentioned and two others that I often make at the same time. I didn’t proof my typing carefully (or at all), so let me know if something is catawampus. Thanks.

This is from Nice N Easy Family Cookbook Vol. 5 1987

Curried Cauliflower
    (serves 4)
    1 cauliflower, separated into flowerets
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 onion chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    ½ teaspoon cayenne
    16-oz can tomatoes
    Salt

1 Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan, and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened and lightly colored.
    2 Add the spices and cook for a further 1 – 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes to the saucepan, increase the heat slightly and cook for a further 10 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon as they cook.
    3 Add the cauliflower to the pan with salt to taste and stir well to coat in the tomato mixture. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the flowerets evenly coated in the sauce.
    4 transfer to a serving dish and serve at once.
    (105 calories per serving.)

And (BONUS!) Here are some of my favorites from Flavors of India, Recipes from the Vegetarian Hindu Cuisine by Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff published in 1972.

Potato Bhaji
    4 medium sized potatoes (about 2 pounds)
    3 tablespoons oil
    ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds (different from the yellow!!)
    ¼ cup finely chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic minced
    ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
    Salt to taste
    ¼ cup cayenne
    12 lemon juiced
    2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (AKA cilantro) or ½ teaspoon coriander powder

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water until they are tender but not too soft. Remove the potatoes from the water and allowe them to cool until they can be handled by hand. When cool, peel the skin off and cut into large sections of about 2 inches long. Place the potato pieces in a dish or bowl and set to one side.

Add the oil to a medium-size saucepot and heat over a moderate temperature. Add the mustard seeds, chopped onion and minced garlic. When the onions have all browned, add the boiled potato pieces, turmeric and salt. With a wooden bpoon stir the ingredients in the pot until they are well blended together. Reduce the heat to a low setting and add the rest of the spices (except for the coriander leaves), while you continue stirring the mixture for a few more minutes. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring up the pot occasionally to reduce the chance of any burning. After this time if the potatoes are still uncooked add 2 tablespoons of water and cook a little longer until the potatoes are soft. Do not add more water or the potatoes will become soupy. Turn off the heat and mix in the lemon juice. Top with fresh coriander leaves and serve.

Spinach Bhaji

2 bunches spinach
    2 cloves finely chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
    3 tablespoons oil
    Salt to taste
    Few pinches cayenne
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

Remove the stems and root from the spinach and wash very thoroughly to remove any dirt or sand that might be trapped between the leaves. Drain the leaves completely and cut into medium size pieces, as if you were cutting lettuce for a salad.

Heat the oil in a frying pan over a moderate flame. Add the garlic, onion and cumin to the oil; when the onion turns brown add the dried spinach pieces. Stir the spinach for a few minutes. Now add the salt and cayenne, raise heat and with a quicker motion stir the spinach over a high flame for 10 more minutes. By now the spinach should have shrunk into a small, dark-green mound. Stir in the lemon juice and remove from the heat. Serve the spinach immediately while it remains hot. This vegetable goes very well with rice, even to the point of pleasing many spinach haters. Serves three to four.

I enjoy the three of these dishes with a dahl when I feel like cooking an Indian inspired dinner at home!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I lost my purse and it's my own damned fault. :| I didn't secure it well on the back of my bike and I didn't notice when if fell off. When I retraced my route, I couldn't find it.

My whole life is in that purse, plus it was a pricey purse. And my phone - which is not attached to wifi so I can't erase it..

And my license and credit cards and medicare card and you name it plus my bank card and it's the weekend, so I'm cashless. And my id for work plus my bike and home key (which at least I have a duplicate)

Ugh I missed this... I'm so sorry! That would really suck. I hope someone brings it back too... Did you call the cops to let them know?
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Had two big glasses of wine and am enjoying the slightly fuzzy state of mind. I just got done reading a book where the characters were constantly talking about delicious strawberry wine and it made me crave the stuff. Problem is... I never had strawberry wine. Is it any good? Does anyone know OF good strawberry wine? ;)

Also, that purse thing is rough. I can't even imagine :( Im sorry and I hope a good person returns it to you.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    @Susieq_1994 Would you post (or PM) your hummus recipe pretty please? I have cooked chickpeas and tahini and lemon and I think all of the other ingredients already at home. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the recipes! I've saved all three to try soon--I just bought two small heads of cauliflower at the grocery store, so maybe the curried cauliflower will be first. ;) My husband would probably hate them (he can't stand spicy/Indian food), but I usually make him something else when I'm making my cauliflower fried "rice" as well, so no big deal. :)

As for my hummus, I usually used canned chickpeas because I'm a lazy bum, but I'll give you the recipe assuming non-canned chickpeas. :) It's actually super-simple, a very traditional Arabian hummus--We don't add weird things like roasted red pepper to our hummus. ;)

Ingredients:
    - 260g chickpeas (or 400 gram can, undrained)
    - 140g of the water that you cooked the chickpeas in (only if not using canned-if you've already disposed of the water, use regular water starting at around 100g and increase after blending if the texture is too thick for you. You'll also need to add additional salt in this case)
    - one small garlic clove (I use a really tiny one, about 2 grams, because my husband doesn't like garlic much--it gives a very smooth flavor without an obvious garlicky taste)
    - the juice of half of a large lemon
    - 40g tahina (It tastes best with around 55 grams, but I do try to save calories where I can, so I compromised at 40. If you have the calories to do so, definitely increase it for a smoother taste!)
    - Additional salt, to taste (With canned chickpeas, this isn't usually necessary, because they're quite salty)

Instructions:
    - Using a fine cheese grater or a microplane zester, grate the garlic very finely into the container you're planning to store the hummus in (or into a blender, if you don't own an immersion blender, but hummus is really hard to get out of a blender).
    - Squeeze the lemon juice over the grated garlic and mix them together--this will keep the garlic from clumping/being concentrated into one area in the hummus later on.
    - Pour half of the chickpeas into the container, along with half the water. Pour the tahina over this and mix it up with a spoon. (That keeps the tahina from sticking to the blender's blades/sides so it all mixes properly into the hummus--that stuff is STICKY)
    - Pour the rest of the chickpeas into the container and add a sprinkle of salt, if desired. Using an immersion blender, blend the hummus until it's completely smooth. You may add more water if you find the texture too thick.

Do keep in mind that hummus is an extremely individual dish--some people like more or less lemon, garlic, or tahina, but the basic components are always the same. If it doesn't turn out the way you like it best, tweak those three ingredients until you have the perfect taste. This recipe makes a smooth, not-too-thick, slightly tangy hummus, similar to those found in authentic Iranian restaurants (I have no idea if you have those where you are, but they're THE. BEST. HUMMUS. EVER.). Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! :)
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    mom216 wrote: »
    I told a friend she looked beautiful in a new outfit. My real thoughts..... she looked fat & awful. The style did absolutely nothing for her shape. Would a real friend tell her the truth? I don't want to hurt her feelings; she believes she looks like a rock star. :*
    I would have told her the truth, nicely. I would never lie to a friend about something like that.
    Also, I would be really pissed if someone let me walk around thinking I looked great if I looked awful.
    What wording would you have used? Particularly if she thought she looked great?

That outfit does not sit on you very well. Why don't you try (whatever suggestion or alternate clothes I might have).
  • FluffySandwich
    Options
    I told a friend she looked beautiful in a new outfit. My real thoughts..... she looked fat & awful. The style did absolutely nothing for her shape. Would a real friend tell her the truth? I don't want to hurt her feelings; she believes she looks like a rock star. :*
    I would have told her the truth, nicely. I would never lie to a friend about something like that.
    Also, I would be really pissed if someone let me walk around thinking I looked great if I looked awful.

That outfit does not sit on you very well. Why don't you try (whatever suggestion or alternate clothes I might have).
    I would struggle with telling someone those things. But... I wish I had a friend like that because it makes every compliment mean that much more. ''You look good'' means you ACTUALLY look good. You become more trustworthy. I just worry about hurting peoples' feelings. :(

• pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I summerfied myself too.

As did I. A pic from our camping trip last week

Me, too. I haven't done anything fun yet this summer, though, so this is from last summer.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Ok, I get it, but I don't think I could ever say that to someone who wasn't asking for an opinion. I bought a new dress yesterday which I love and feel great in. I wore it to a family party last night and several people said nice things about it and how I looked in it. I would have been pretty upset if someone had pulled me aside and told me it looked bad.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

I would struggle with telling someone those things. But... I wish I had a friend like that because it makes every compliment mean that much more. ''You look good'' means you ACTUALLY look good. You become more trustworthy. I just worry about hurting peoples' feelings. :(

I once had a coworker tell me that I had toilet paper hanging out of the back of my pants (don't ask how I managed to do that one haha) & it was embarrassing at first, but it would've been even worse if customers or other coworkers seen me.
  • FluffySandwich
    edited June 2015
    Options

I once had a coworker tell me that I had toilet paper hanging out of the back of my pants (don't ask how I managed to do that one haha) & it was embarrassing at first, but it would've been even worse if customers or other coworkers seen me.

:lol: When I was in around 6th grade, I was pulled aside by a boy I barely knew. He told me (and with a straight face, not laughing or mocking at all) that I had ripped my pants pretty badly. I went to the nurse (who was my mom, conveniently) and saw that my pants were EXTREMELY ripped, showing off my whole underwear-clad butt to everyone. I don't know how long they had been like that, but that was near the end of the day. None of my friends had approached me, just this boy. For around 11 years old, he handled it maturely and was kind about the situation. I remain thankful to him :lol:
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Haha! Awwe, poor you!
    Totally different though.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I have two updates!

1) My Wegmans does carry the Halo Top Vanilla, Chocolate, and Lemon Cake. They were ALL sold out (they only got a very small amount in) so I shall have to check back.

2) I PASSED MY EXAM!!!!!!!!!! B)

Congrats!!! Woohoo... well done, you! :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    Update on the biopsy, they got the results really fast... and there is no cancer - no concerns! WooHoo! Now time for my weekend to begin.

That's awesome news! Enjoy your weekend!
  • PhoenyxHellfyre
    PhoenyxHellfyre Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    907 pages of lurking, and now I'm going to try poking in. Hello everyone, I hope your Saturday is going well.

Here is a confession: Lately, I've been wanting to take all the training my therapist has been having me do and chuck it out the window. (I'm autistic and a whole bunch of other things.) I'm frustrated by the idea that I have to do all this work to understand, communicate, and act like a normal person, but no one is willing to do the same for me. I'm a huge believer in equivalent exchange (Fullmetal Alchemist, anyone), and while it would be illogical to expect that from strangers, it would be nice to experience this from family and friends. At least meet me halfway, y'know?

• nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

Thank you so much for the recipes! I've saved all three to try soon--I just bought two small heads of cauliflower at the grocery store, so maybe the curried cauliflower will be first. ;) My husband would probably hate them (he can't stand spicy/Indian food), but I usually make him something else when I'm making my cauliflower fried "rice" as well, so no big deal. :)

As for my hummus, I usually used canned chickpeas because I'm a lazy bum, but I'll give you the recipe assuming non-canned chickpeas. :) It's actually super-simple, a very traditional Arabian hummus--We don't add weird things like roasted red pepper to our hummus. ;)

Ingredients:
    - 260g chickpeas (or 400 gram can, undrained)
    - 140g of the water that you cooked the chickpeas in (only if not using canned-if you've already disposed of the water, use regular water starting at around 100g and increase after blending if the texture is too thick for you. You'll also need to add additional salt in this case)
    - one small garlic clove (I use a really tiny one, about 2 grams, because my husband doesn't like garlic much--it gives a very smooth flavor without an obvious garlicky taste)
    - the juice of half of a large lemon
    - 40g tahina (It tastes best with around 55 grams, but I do try to save calories where I can, so I compromised at 40. If you have the calories to do so, definitely increase it for a smoother taste!)
    - Additional salt, to taste (With canned chickpeas, this isn't usually necessary, because they're quite salty)

Instructions:
    - Using a fine cheese grater or a microplane zester, grate the garlic very finely into the container you're planning to store the hummus in (or into a blender, if you don't own an immersion blender, but hummus is really hard to get out of a blender).
    - Squeeze the lemon juice over the grated garlic and mix them together--this will keep the garlic from clumping/being concentrated into one area in the hummus later on.
    - Pour half of the chickpeas into the container, along with half the water. Pour the tahina over this and mix it up with a spoon. (That keeps the tahina from sticking to the blender's blades/sides so it all mixes properly into the hummus--that stuff is STICKY)
    - Pour the rest of the chickpeas into the container and add a sprinkle of salt, if desired. Using an immersion blender, blend the hummus until it's completely smooth. You may add more water if you find the texture too thick.

Do keep in mind that hummus is an extremely individual dish--some people like more or less lemon, garlic, or tahina, but the basic components are always the same. If it doesn't turn out the way you like it best, tweak those three ingredients until you have the perfect taste. This recipe makes a smooth, not-too-thick, slightly tangy hummus, similar to those found in authentic Iranian restaurants (I have no idea if you have those where you are, but they're THE. BEST. HUMMUS. EVER.). Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! :)

YUM. Thank you. If I can muster the energy I'll make it today. :smiley:
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,451 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Here is a picture of my lovely bruise. My leg is really swollen, it hurts constantly, and my foot keeps falling asleep. I think working out this week was not the best idea, but I'm trying to do all I can before I go on vacation and have to be seen in public in a bikini. Yellow means it's healing, right?!

yy12snvtb9io.jpg

If the issues continue, you may want to consider visiting your doctor and make sure you do not have a blood clot from the bruising. Don't want to scare ya, but just to help out.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    907 pages of lurking, and now I'm going to try poking in. Hello everyone, I hope your Saturday is going well.

Here is a confession: Lately, I've been wanting to take all the training my therapist has been having me do and chuck it out the window. (I'm autistic and a whole bunch of other things.) I'm frustrated by the idea that I have to do all this work to understand, communicate, and act like a normal person, but no one is willing to do the same for me. I'm a huge believer in equivalent exchange (Fullmetal Alchemist, anyone), and while it would be illogical to expect that from strangers, it would be nice to experience this from family and friends. At least meet me halfway, y'know?

Fullmetal Alchemist yeahhh! And I know what you mean.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    JadaFerris wrote: »
    First confession as a newb: (just joined Monday)

I'm hungry all.the.time.

When I get hungry between meals, I drink a bottle of water, then chew gum. For hours until the next mealtime. :(

Tell me it gets easier?? Ugh.

It does get easier. Your stomach will shrink to the point where you won't understand HOW you could eat so much before. It will take a lot less food to feel full. At least, that's what happened to me.