Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Stopping by briefly to post my own bicep pic! I wanted in on the action. :)wqoab341wnrv.jpg

Oooh... that's wickedly impressive! Well done, you!
  • TheVogonVegan
    TheVogonVegan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I confess that I lost about twelve pounds here a few months ago and then started a new job, got busy and stressed, and gave up for a while. I'm back now and I confess that I gained seven pounds of the weight back and though that is disheartening, I'm super excited to be back and making a new commitment. I missed this thread and all of you guys. <3 ^_^
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

You, I like. I have been known to make a quick and dirty quacamole (diced avocado, halved grape tomatoes, some salt/garlic/lime juice) for breakfast.

I have never tried guacamole.....or avocado actually....
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I did well on my calories allllllll day... then the child asked to watch Spongebob Out of Water... No way I can do this sober... bring on the wine...

LOL! Good luck!

They do make some pretty messed up kids shows. My niece when she was 2-3 used to be obsessed with this show Oobi. It was a talking hand.

Ugh!!... I hated that show! (Sorry, I'm super far behind). But I miss The Upside Down Show. It was on for just a short period and really late at night.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

You, I like. I have been known to make a quick and dirty quacamole (diced avocado, halved grape tomatoes, some salt/garlic/lime juice) for breakfast.

I have never tried guacamole.....or avocado actually....

WHAT!? Wooow I insist you try soon- I'm obsessed with both
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I confess that I bought PB2 with chocolate, thanks to posts from 100's of pages ago, and I didn't like it. It has a waxy aftertaste. Maybe I should have bought the plain? Now it's going to sit in my cupboard until it's so old I can finally throw it out without feeling guilty.
    PB2 really isn't a good substitute for regular peanut butter in a sandwich or for a lick. It's much better when mixed in a protein shake or something.

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
  • elusiveewefoureah64
    elusiveewefoureah64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was craving something sweet the other night but had absolutely nothing in the house that would satisfy me except some hot chocolate. So I ate two spoonfuls of the powder. Two spoonfuls. Of the powder.

I have done the very same thing!! Oh what one will do in despatation lol
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Stopping by briefly to post my own bicep pic! I wanted in on the action. :)wqoab341wnrv.jpg
    Ooh, very impressive! How long have you been lifting to get those results?

It's 26 years of grooming horses. I don't lift. Although I do take a strength training class on Saturday. And thank you! I didn't know it was there either until I lost the weight!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    trvlpk wrote: »
    I don't know how to eat "healthy" and do not know what good nutrition means. :/ Also, I am a compulsive overeater/food addict that is finding it very hard to find recovery.

I wouldn't say I am an overly healthy eater mtself. Although I do try to avoid high calorie nutritionally devoid snacks like potato chips and soda. Moderation is really the key though. I weigh and log everything for my own accountability
    ythannah wrote: »

Oooh... that's wickedly impressive! Well done, you!

Thats freaking amazing
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    When I worked as a youth counselor at a wilderness boarding school we sometimes had rice with sugar and butter for breakfast and the girls called it "Poor boy cereal"..I was not a fan personally.

You people putting sugar on your rice are monsters.

Confession: There were times when I was super broke where rice with barbecue sauce was dinner. Still would.

As a broke newlywed, I made Hamburger Helper without any hamburger or milk. Blech. Gosh, that was 1996. I haven't bought Hamburger Helper in at least 14(?) years. The thought of eating it now....disgusting. :s

As a broke kid, we ate tuna and rice for at least one year non-stop, because my mom couldn't afford to feed us anything else. I still pretty much hate tuna and rice.

Then, when we had a slight step up, it progressed to macaroni covered in Chicken Tonight sauce, with not a chicken bit in sight. Every. Single. Day. Just thinking about that horrible combination still makes me sick. That stuff was not made to be put on macaroni! :s

For us it was potato soup. I hated potato soup for YEARS. I finally made it at my husband's request, but completely different than my mom used to make it. My way tastes really good.
  • Oberon21
    Options

Holy crap way to go @pofoster21!! You and @BZAH10 have this arm thing down!

Holy *kitten* that's awesome.

Thanks!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    I am on p 992. Here is my most embarrasing (or perhaps a tie) moment.

My most embarrassing moment.

Once upon a time I lived in one major city and as things worked out my now ex husband and I and our then baby girl were going to move back to where I grew up. For ease of writing this I will choose a name for baby girl, Molly, (not her real name.)

The move was of a distance that would require several days of driving. My genius plan was for 6 month old Molly and I to fly ahead and ex would follow a week or so later with our belongings. It was a great plan. I researched flying with babies. I researched busy flights vs lighter flights. After all my research what I came up with was flying mid-morning mid-week. Somehow I figured that this flight would not be busy. Molly was still being breastfed at the time. I was discrete and covered but I did breastfeed as unobtrusively as possible in public. I booked two tickets on the mid-week, mid-morning flight. My plan was to put the baby car seat in the middle and sit by the window so that I had extra privacy when nursing. Molly despised the car seat and screamed every time she was placed in it so having her in the car seat on the airplane was never part of my plan.

The day started off ok. I had on a t-shirt type blouse on with jeans. I carried a light baby blanket, the diaper bag, car seat and Molly when we boarded the airplane. Here is where my plan started to unravel. I was not allowed to put the car seat in the middle so it was next to the window and Molly and I were in the middle seat. I rolled with it. I was going to make this work. Plus, the seat next to me on the aisle was empty. Just before the doors closed to the airplane a very handsome man about my age (late 20’s) in a full, dark suit sat down in the aisle seat. He was very good looking and he seemed nervous. We didn’t acknowledge each other. Molly was at the age of alertness and a beautiful baby.

The airplane started taxing down the runway. I had heard that nursing on takeoff and landing was very helpful in preventing ear pain and preventing baby Molly from crying. We started the taxi and I put Molly on the breast farthest away from my seatmate. Molly started happily nursing. The plane was about to take off when the safety announcements started with a loud hiss and squeal. Baby Molly jerked her head toward the noise. This threw off the light blanket covering her. She had not let go of my nipple when she jerked her head. In fact, there was quite a vacuum formed. So when her head jerked quickly and unexpectedly away from my body there was a loud and obvious “pop” noise as the vacuum from her mouth nursing was broken. This noise was immediately followed by a light spray of breastmilk crossing over to the arm/suit jacket of the man in the aisle seat next to me. I covered myself quickly. I watched in horror as those tiny little droplets of milk soaked into the sleeve of his suit jacket. He had not responded /moved during this but I assume he had to have noticed something. We did not make eye contact or acknowledge each other during flight. I was horrified and mortified. What do you EVEN say to some stranger you’ve inadvertently sprayed with your breastmilk?

I’ve always wondered if he knew the extent of it, it was fine droplets but how could he not? Since then I’ve come to see the humor in it, but it took me years to get there. :)

Well you have to give the guy total credit for handling it really well.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Charlie and I have had a lovely day at the zoo, and according to my Fitbit, we've walked over 8 miles! Not bad for a two year old! If I knew how to post pics, I'd post a selfie we took.

I love the zoo! So glad you had a great day!
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Confession: I never log the calories in liquor because that will ruin it for me and I don't want the magic to be gone.
  • 1SongOfStorms
    1SongOfStorms Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How far off are the calorie burns on mfp??? I've been living a lie!!!!!!!! Ugh I always use my stationary bike for an hour and then get all proud of my calories... I thought they were off so I just wrote it in as less time and effort but how on earth do you find out the true calorie burn??? :'(
  • Oberon21
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Charlie and I are off to the zoo today. Last time we went, we walked 6 miles! Enjoy your day everyone!

Awesome, have fun! I love the zoo...maybe as much as my son does. I can't wait to go this year!

I'm about to go run on the treadmill for the first time since getting sick on Monday. This is the longest rest period I've ever taken!! I'm nervous. Wish me luck!

Sometimes a break is the best thing for running. You come back stronger and faster. Hope it went well!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    bkhamill wrote: »
    Can I just say how awesome this thread has become?

Yes, it started out about trash bags, peanut butter, and hot chocolate powder, but it has evolved into a community within the MFP community where people actually CARE and SUPPORT one another through stupid decisions, horrible situations, and hilarious escapades.

You all rock. And if I wasn't super lazy, I would finally get around to friend requesting the rest of the regular posters.
    Super great.

You're all super great!

Agreed! You're all so incredibly wonderful. And now a certain poster who shall not be named, ( @quiksylver296 did you ever find out who this was) has stopped posting here, it truly IS a safe place.

I didn't, PM me please!

If I have this figured out... I would hint that she "danced" right out of here.

DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Your prize is free non-judged confessions for life...or as long as this thread is still alive. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Ok, now I'm confused. I totally thought it was bun lady. Help me out, @MoHousdon.

Bun lady is the same lady. :)

Reading this WHY are you bringing her up publicly???! Such bad Karma,

...am hoping that my not having any idea who is being referred to -- and issuing a public declaration thereof -- can perhaps 'balance out', or otherwise 'counteract', any bad karma teeter-totter... ;)

(...maybe that's just one of many potential 'upsides' of inadvertently having missed various subsets of the thread (and since its inception, in particular) -- accidental ignorance of something for which knowledge of such could otherwise 'amplify' karma's 'gravity' -- but for which a lack of knowledge can 'pull' in the opposite direction (I said, sounding all fake-authoritatively, and as though I were some sort of Professor of Karma Mathematics... ;) ))

Edited to add: a puff of smoke emanated from my screen, as soon as I clicked "Post Reply" -- thereby 'confirming' a successfully counteracted karmic nexxus... ;)

Whew. Thank you.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Morning all. Meds taken, and Charlie and I are snuggled up on the sofa watching frozen (its one of his favourites).

I finally got on the scales again today. I've gained 5lbs in my little pity-party binge cycle. I'm sure some of it is water, so my goal is get that 5lb off before I hit the mountain in 2 weeks.

Yes 2 weeks to go until I attempt to climb a mountain, in the dark. And did I mention that there is 2.5 feet of snow on the mountain? I've raised £685 so far for the Alzheimer's society, which I am also proud of. Gonna try and make it £700 before we go.

Feeling brighter today, hopefully can keep food intake to sensible proportions today.

This made me so happy! Just remember we'll all be climbing that mountain with you in spirit!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    [
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It never rains but it pours!

Got home today, checked on mum all gone well, just wait for further biopsy results to make they got it all.

My dad said my sister's social worker rang yesterday. Some of you may remember I mentioned previously my parents and I have custody of her 2 year old son and she is pregnant again. Anyway, it seems that the picture is bleak for the unborn child ( a little girl) and the social are minded to take this one into care when she's born, and they wanted to know if we'd have her.

Of course the answer is yes. But I can't tell you how tired and stressed that makes me feel already. My mum and I run our own company together, but she will have to give up work to care for baby, so the earning to keep us falls on me and my dad only. Not to mention the burden of caring for a baby and a toddler. I can't leave my parents to do it all on their own, but I feel exhausted just thinking about a baby.

I.never wanted children.

And my nanna blabbed to my mum something I said at the weekend (when drunk) about finding driving home every weekend and having Charlie tiring. Which is true, doesn't mean I don't want to do it.

But now my mum is horribly upset. And it's the last thing she needs.

So tonight, everything will be eaten. And I am enjoying one night in lazy solitude. No boyfriend, no girlfriend, no child, no expectations, just me, my sofa, my TV and some ice cream

That is so rough. I'm sorry. But it's not your responsibility... will you just keep taking the kids if she keeps getting pregnant? I mean, I can't even imagine how hard it must be, but you shouldn't have to ruin your life (same for your mother) because your sister is irresponsible.

This child needs to be where she'll be wanted. And I'm not judging you because I completely get it. If I had to take care of another child now I'd be devastated, and I did want children. But it's not the best for you, and it's probably not the best for her... Wishing you the best though.

No we won't keep taking kids, because I will make it a condition that the social apply to the court for a forcible sterilisation order so there are no more. We can't afford more (apologies if that offends people, I don't want to open the birth control debate).

I appreciate the honesty of your thoughts, and I don't take it as judgement. I understand what you say about the child being wanted. And she will be. She will be as loved and adored as Charlie is now, the children do not make these choices. I do. And they will get the best of everything I can give them, including me. Those children will never know the resentment I feel towards their mother.

My partners have already been on the phone planning how we make this work.

I might be crying now. :'(

Sorry :(

In on-topic news, i have eaten a tub (480ml) of daim ice cream. Its awesome! and I am not beating myself up about it.

I may or may not eat popcorn also. Or i might just go to bed. But a 9ft bed on my own is empty :( yay diagonal sleeping!

I have the same problem currently. My big bed feels too big. :(

Hope you are feeling better!

Aww I'm sorry but you will be better off! Have faith!