Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• martim3
    martim3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    God can help us help ourselves. We can do more good in our lives if we take care of these great bodies we were given so we can care for others instead of needing care ourselves. The energy we lose and the dampening of spirit we feel when dealing with obesity take away from the positive energy we have to offer. Was feeling like a mad binge myself before reading your post which helped me contemplate why I shall not. Thank you.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I see Wonder Woman, also, @quiksylver296. Also, I'm a bit dyslexic (which another reason I have a hard time remembering full screen names) and I always call you "Quickysilver" in my head. That "y" seems to trip me up every time!

Confession: I have to go buy my husband a Father's Day card and gift after work and we're not even on speaking terms right now. This should be fun.

I hope you guys are doing better now. What is going on? I know a lot of people who are having relationship issues right now.

Yes it seems to be spreading...I am not overly impressed with my SO myself....
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    This one is pretty awesome...it should be a Friday thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10193742/why-am-i-gaining-weight/p2

This one just aggravated me! I don't understand why people are so against using a food scale?! I get not using one if you're having success without it but I LOVE knowing exactly how much of something I'm eating. I was losing before I started using one but I bought one because I really wanted to know EXACTLY how much I was eating each day!

Exactly. If I didn't use my food scale I'm pretty sure I'd still be around 250 pounds.

I pretty much weigh everything except for yogurt cups like Chobani, Dannon, or Yoplait.

Some of my protein bars/fiber bars can be 15-30+ calorie higher than they should & if you're at a smaller deficit with not much to lose it can hinder your progress greatly if you're off on everything you're eating. I also use it to weigh stuff like cereal, ice cream, & peanut butter since it's so easy to overestimate what a serving is. The first time I weighed out cereal on my food scale I thought what a ripoff & then put two more servings in the bowl:D. There are times I am shocked at how big a serving of peanut butter is, but if it's something like Cookie Spread or Nutella then again I am like what a ripoff.

I'll admit I've even weighed & measured one chip or cracker which I did today with my Triscuit cracker today.

At least I am not as OCD as the lady who takes her food scale to the grocery store.

I don't get people who use cups but think a food scale is too OCD either. It's easier, less dishes, and more accurate, so it just puzzles me. Plus it helps with eyeballing skills as at least you know what a 'cup' of broccoli is actually supposed to look like.

And packaged goods... gosh. Just my shortcake yesterday was 50 more calories than what the package said. Those delicious Graze flapjacks? I had one that was 80 more calories. It really adds up when your deficit is small...

What gets to me though is people who don't weigh their food then complain that their TDEE is so low. It's really not... they're just eating more than they think. I have some friends on here who have about the same stats as me, about the same activity, but maintain 400 calories lower. So either I'm a special snowflake, or they're really clueless about food portion.

But I guess if you keep a bigger deficit or underestimate your TDEE and don't weigh your food, it works too. People just have to find something that works with them. Me, I like having as much information as I can, because my relationship with food is pretty unhealthy in the first place (or I wouldn't be here!).

The funny thing though is that even when I know that I weighed all my foods, on days like today when I'm so full after 1200 calories (don't get me wrong, I still found things to get to my 1800 calories), I can't help wondering if I did something wrong.

A lot of people; unfortunately, still think they have to eat 1,200 calories or less to lose weight which is just sad. Think about how many people post on here routinely saying they can't eat over 1,000 calories & have a 100+ pounds to lose. Most of the times in that case they aren't weighing their food on a food scale & are vastly eating over their calories & possibly maintenance.

Just look at health magazines & the bogus diets & claims they offer such as Women's World. Women's World a few weeks ago had a cover that said lose 30 pounds in 30 days. Yeah lose 30 pounds in 30 days & then gain 60 pounds back.

Usually with my Fitbit (I find it to be pretty reliable) I burn anywhere from 2100-2300 calories a day; occasionally, a little more if I am more active with exercise.

I always laugh at the fact that I can weigh something & then one minute later I find I forget how much it weighed & then just overestimate how much it was.

Can I ask what you are doing to burn that many calories? That seems like a lot.

With my Fitbit & I assume a lot of the fitness trackers the devices also calculate your BMR (calories you would need to survive in a coma or if you were sitting on your butt all day) along with exercise & just general walking/steps. The only exercise it has a hard time accurately measuring is lifting & exercises that it cannot detect steps like riding the stationary bike for example.

When I wasn't binging & eating a normal calorie amount I was maintaining around 153 give or take & eating anywhere from 2000-2500 depending on the daily calorie burn.

If Jawbone ever finally releases the third band I might buy that one if it has good reviews & seems pretty accurate.

For the time being until I lose a few more pounds (my goal now is around 140-145) I am eating 1700 calories Tues., Wed., Fri., Sat., Sun. & on Monday/Thursday my days off I am eating around 2000-2100.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I haven't posted in here for a while. I've been feeling pretty down lately. I've been reading it all, though--Sadly there have been too many posts that needed attention that I didn't catch up on, so consider all of you in my thoughts.

I feel like such a loser. Ever since Ramadan started I've been fasting all day, then spending the night pigging out and eating TONS of food instead of worshipping or spending extra time in prayer. I have NEVER done this before, and I don't know what's wrong with me. I've probably gained even more over my recent 20-ish pound weight gain.

I feel worthless and out of control and like a fat pig. I don't really know what to do. Still trying, though.

I was wondering where you were!!

Don't get too down on yourself, nobody is perfect and that fasting is hard!!
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't log the unpopped popcorn kernels that I gnaw on like a rat (despite my dentist begging me to stop).
    And I have a personal rule that I don't have to log food if I only have one bite.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Stupid tray of Ghirardelli brownies my mom made while staying over to watch my daughter. Dang her for bringing that crap in to my house! Taunting me.... I had about a 3x3 inch square. >_<
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Okay, I am going to have to finish this when I get home, was trying to go back to get to Susieq's original post, but I have been reading the the 1:15 - 1:45 timeframe I think for the last 5 pages! But I wanted to say this...

So. Susieq... I am sorry you feel badly right now, you were MORE than missed (you know I missed you as I came looking for you so I could watch that you were logging in even if you weren't posting) and you will get through this. Fasting isn't going to make it better...it has to cause a fixation with food even if you think it won't. But once you are through this you can work on it 24/7 and find what works for you. Just remember... you are not defined by your weight or your looks. You are an incredibly special person, which is obvious from your poems, your writing, and your comments in this thread. In the end that is what counts. Do we remember Mother Theresa for her looks? Abraham Lincoln? Is Oprah any less a person because she struggles with her weight (not that I am a fan of Oprah but looking for modern equivalents). Never define yourself by that. Its what is in your heart that matters.

XOXOXOXO

Will check back in later and finish this when I get home!

Thank you so much. :) I wasn't hoping so much that it would help me stop overeating, more that it would show me that being hungry can't actually defeat me and I'm stronger than my hunger. Kind of like a confidence boost, if you will. :) I have hope that *that* particular thing will happen--handling hunger always becomes easier when you've fasted for a while. :) It definitely doesn't help with appetite, which is why I (usually) prepare our meal while I'm still fasting and eat only what I've set in front of me (We start with dates and water, then pray the Maghrib prayer, then we eat the prepared meal)--because by then you want to eat EVERYTHING. ;)

I totally got the warm fuzzies when you came and added me here on MFP, because I was sure that it was because I went missing from the thread for a while! I even mentioned that to my husband. :)

I agree with you that looks should never define us, and yet I hold myself to a standard that I would never hold someone else to. :( I just feel so angry because I always swore to myself that I would never let myself get to this point again (heading for the overweight range), and yet here I am. I've let myself down in a big way, and I'm definitely not feeling particularly special sitting here in my new fat pants. :(

For those who have mentioned it: I don't think God is judging me for my struggles or taking away the reward of my fast because of them. In the Qur'an, we are told that every person will be judged by their true intention, and that God alone knows what is in the heart. He knows that I'm struggling but still trying, and that's enough. But *I* want to feel that special Ramadan spirituality and the essence and simplicity of fasting--and feeling bloaty and sick all the time is making that very hard.

I've just eaten a light suhoor, the one I pre-logged, and the fast has started--a small success for me, since I immediately felt an urge to abandon my log and eat a bunch of random food when I walked into the kitchen to prepare suhoor. Maybe I CAN do this. :)

Back... So catching up forward before I go backwards I can only say this about backsliding. It has happened to me so many times I am frightened to donate my clothes this round and end up out of clothes again this time like I did last time. The latest is 4 years ago I lost 50 lbs. I was the heaviest I had ever been. I went on the HCG diet and lost all of it. I swore I would never get that heavy again. Fast forward 3 years and I am 30 lbs heavier. I tried and tried to lose but I just kept eating and drinking more and more. I had no will power. 2 things finally pushed me over the edge. One I went and got a bike fitting for my tri bike and the guy essentially told me flat to be a cyclist I needed to be light. I was too heavy. My friend's husband (who I was trying to lose weight with) was horrified but the guy wasn't lying. I was getting too fat.

But that still wasn't enough. What really pushed me over the edge was I could see how hard my friend's husband was trying and being successful and I was cheating and not disclosing what I was eating and I was not losing. It shamed me that he was trying and I was lying and he was really trying to encourage me. So I finally buckled down, and since then I have lost steadily over the 200+ days I have been logging. And for the first time in my life I think it will stick. But the point is we all succeed and backslide and then succeed again. What will finally click for you to kick start the process is personal and may take time. Don't get on down on yourself. We have all been there.

And yes I added you as I noticed you weren't posting so I looked you up. I could see you were around then but not posting and I got worried. So now I can keep a closer watch on you!

And great job on today. One day at a time.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    I'M FINALLY CAUGHT UP!!!! *falls over* <3

Thought of you today at Giant when I found the Limone Sorbet. I almost bought it, but then I decided to get the Yueling's Buttered Caramel Popcorn. I definitely will be getting that sometime though since I seen it was only 80 calories per half serving which means I will probably eat two or three.
    Confession listening to Pretty In Pink by The Psychedelic Furs. I love Pretty In Pink, 16 Candles, & The Breakfast Club.

"You missed my eye by an inch!" "Half an Inch!"

"Blane? His name is Blane? Oh! That's a major appliance!"

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

I LOVE pretty in pink
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If Jawbone ever finally releases the third band I might buy that one if it has good reviews & seems pretty accurate
    I think the Jawbone 3 was released, not to sure on how it was received though.

• Italian_Buju
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Goodness, what a weekend! This time next week, I could possibly be lying on a beautiful beach in Florida sipping a mimosa. I will be thinking of you all. :smiley:

Friday night the husband and I went to Outback for dinner. I was not thrilled about this because I didn't think I had enough calories for Outback because I always get the Alice Springs Chicken with fries. I decided to order the chicken, but subbed fries with steamed broccoli, which, if you've being paying attention at all, you'll know how incredibly difficult that decision was. I regretted not getting the fries until I tasted the broccoli, it was delicious. I ended up only eating half my dinner, and I even got to share a piece of cheesecake with my love and STILL managed a deficit. Yay, me!

Saturday, my daughter and I were going to go shopping for Father's Day, my eye appointment, and get some last minute things for our trip, but we were also going to go to the candy shop for snacks so my husband wanted to come too. We ended up going to the candy shop first which was a big success except they were out of my favorite trail mix (luckily, I still had some left over from the last visit) so I got buttered toffee pecans (holy sweet, salty, and crunchy, they are amazing), and some dried apples. He got mostly candy. :smile:

From there, we went to the mall since that's where my appointment was to kill some time, but also so I wouldn't be late. We ended up in JCP looking at dresses. Husband picked out some he wanted me to try on (his questionable taste presented itself again) but nothing worked. We met up outside in the sitting area of the mall and he asked me if I wanted to kill some more time at Helzberg, and I said sure. Long story short, we ended up looking at diamond rings and bridal sets. I didn't think we were really going to purchase anything since he said we'd do shopping in Florida. Apparently, he'd been really thinking about that and decided if we were going to get one, he wanted to get it before we went so it could be sized and everything beforehand. I tried on several rings before falling head over heals for a 1/2 ct. princess cut in white gold. It was absolutely mesmerizing. I could not quit staring at it. That's pretty much how I felt the first time I laid eyes on him. Love at first sight. Anywho, I tried on a few different guards and finally found a perfect fit. The lady sized my finger (size 5 btw, I was pretty shocked by that) and I was off to my appointment.

My appointment took maybe 20 minutes so I went to Auntie Anne's for pretzels and a DP ( I know, I was doing to so good) and then headed back to Helzberg. Well, come to find out, he bought the ring while I was at my appointment and was finishing up paperwork and stuff when I got back. I was shocked, I didn't expect to get anything finished so soon. Turns out, the ring I picked out is a VVS2 (3rd from highest quality you can get) and almost completely colorless. It is also a limited edition diamond which I didn't know either. I just knew I loved the ring. When they were telling us all the stuff about the diamond, they said I have really good taste. I said, putting my arm around Husband, "Obviously!" He blushed. It was adorable. I hope to have my ring by Thursday, but I might have to wait until after we get back from Florida.

Now for stepdaughter news.

She was a no call, no show Saturday and Sunday. She DID tag him on facebook saying Happy Father's Day and I love you, but I guess she was just too busy to come by and give him the only thing he really wanted which was some of her time. He fell asleep last night while watching TV and then woke up and asked me what time it was. I said 8 or 9, and he said, really, no way. He then pulled out his phone to check for messages. Nothing. The look on his face was so painfully sad I started crying. I told him I was sorry she didn't come by, and he said, "I can't believe she didn't come over on Father's Day." To make matters worse, Rachael told me she thought it'd be fun having a sister, but it's not. I hate that she's treating them so badly.

I'm sad because she'll never know how incredible her dad is and that she seems to have zero interest in being a part of our amazing family. If it were up to me, I'd take the car back and tell her off, but I don't want to do anything that could hurt the chances of a future relationship. What I don't understand, is she found him, he didn't seek her out, she came to him. Why would she do that if she didn't want to have anything to do with him, just his money?!

I'm heartbroken for my loves. Why did this crap have to happen a week before we leave?!

TL; DR: I AM getting a new ring, I married an incredible man, and his daughter is a selfish little twit.

Oh man. What a mix of awesomeness and crappiness in this post. I think your new ring sounds pretty amazing, but the fact that your step-daughter is being such a selfish brat is making me so sad for your husband.

+1

A mix of yays and hugs for you.

Thanks!

Goodness, what a weekend! This time next week, I could possibly be lying on a beautiful beach in Florida sipping a mimosa. I will be thinking of you all. :smiley:

TL; DR: I AM getting a new ring, I married an incredible man, and his daughter is a selfish little twit.

That's awesome news about your ring! Sounds like you had a good weekend except the stepdaughter part. Just curious...why wasn't he involved in her life when she was younger? Counseling may be good for all of you to work through this difficult place. It may reveal some things about her past that provide insight as to why she's acting this way. I hate that Rachael is so disappointed. :( (Hugs)

He wanted to be, we both did.

When her mom and my husband broke up, they shared custody (they were never married). For some reason, I'm not 100% clear on this as he doesn't like to talk about it, she quit allowing him visitation. I guess, in the state of Kansas, a mother can say anything she wants against a father, even one paying child support, and it's basically her word against his. She petitioned to increase his child support (this happened several times during our relationship) and was awarded more each time.

In the almost 15 years we've been married, until recently, I had only seen her twice. Once for her 5th birthday (her mother didn't know about this) and once for Christmas (same year, mother didn't know). When Rach was about 2 maybe a little younger, we found out where she worked and Husband asked if he could see her and she told him she didn't think she (daughter) was ready for that. Because, at the time, we didn't have the money to take her to court, he didn't fight his ex anymore and just did was what right by paying his child support and not fighting it every time she wanted more.

He would never admit it, but he's a pushover and hates confrontation. Hence the situation we're currently in. Her mom was pretty pissed when she found out she had sought him out. I'm sure she has a lot to do with the way she's been acting recently since she's staying at her house.

Sorry to be such a downer on a Monday.

There's the key, right there. Nineteen / adult or not, that sole-parental influence is HUGE. My husband and I both had joint custody of our kids, but the influence of the other parent was always present. I'll shut up on this subject after this, but once she becomes independent, breaks away from her mom, goes through a few serious relationships of her own, she will see your husband's side so much clearer.

Example scenario: say she gets seriously involved with a guy who has a child. Mother of the child does the exact thing to her (hypothetical) boyfriend that her mom did. He wants to see his child and be involved, but he is denied. He's hurt and she doesn't like it. Light bulb moment. She won't necessarily see her mom as the bad guy, but she'll apply all those same feelings to her current situation and eventually she will see things differently. IMHO.

I hope you're right. For his sake, her sake and Rachael's sake. Thank you.

As a single mom I wish my son had a dad that gave a s*** like your husband does. My ex didn't he even bother answering the phone when my son called to wish him a Happy Fathers Day. He texted me later that it was because he got so drunk and passed out in his front yard that his neighbour called 911 because they thought he was dead.

Wow. I can't decide what's worse: that he actually DID this or that he so readily admitted it! Yikes. I am very sorry for you and your son having to deal with this, but it's best that there's no contact at all.

Can you imagine if he had your son for days or overnights the worry you would have not knowing if he was drinking or not?! This is definitely a case of, be grateful for whatever you can in a bad situation.

I have a friend that went through this when her boys were young.....she stopped contact when he fell asleep drunk while cooking and burned the house down while the boys were there.....thankfully they made it out ok or she would have never gotten over it.....
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Confession: It's a hangry day, and I want chips...or Gardetto's.

I'm in trouble.

I hear you. It's workout off day & all I can think about is warm sourdough bread.

MUST. CONTROL. URGES.

me too, but to (kinda) contribute to the guacamole postings, I just want to face plant in a pile of it. LOVE it. I seriously think I like it better than ice cream. I've been known to eat a whole avocado with salt and a spoon. I want to eat ALL the things today, but by things I mean guac and cheddar cheese and sour cream.

I bought a package of the Wholly Guacamole single serve packages. Sadness. I've never seen anything so TINY! To make it even worse, the miniscule container has a concave (inward) bottom so there's even less in there than I thought. When my spoon hit that bump in the bottom of the container I almost freaked out! Good thing they come in packages of 6. Three at a time should do the trick.

Is this a good quality brand?
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm back from VA! It was great. I am not checking the 1,664 new posts.

Confessions:

In public, I suck in to appear thinner than I really am. I never did this before I lost weight.

I would rather go deaf than listen to contemporary Christian music. It is awful and so boring. I had to endure it on my trip. Thank God for iPods.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Hey guys. Haven't really been on here but I logged on on my laptop for the first time in a while and noticed I had a few notifications just wondering how things are so I thought I would check in. Thank you for thinking of me! It's been a tough couple of weeks.

My Grandma is still in hospital. As they said the bruising on her brain caused it to swell. In the first few days she was opening her eyes and acknowledging when we were there by making sounds but then it stopped and she kind of drifted. The pressure on her brain has caused her to have confirmed brain damage on the left side but no one knows how this will affect her yet. They were trying to find out why she was become less alert and her temperature was spiking and they discovered she has pneumonia which she's on antibiotics for now. They are wanting her to have an operation to relieve some of the pressure but have to wait until any signs of infection have gone - also she's an anesthetic risk.

She had two lumbar punctures to drain some of the fluid on her brain over the weekend and when I went to see her today she seemed to have improved. She was opening her eyes, although not really focusing but I could tell she knew I was there. Still unable to talk though. Just hoping she gets well enough for this operation and then shows some further improvement.

The whole situation is so heart-breaking. I've spent every day with my Grandma for so long I hate seeing her like this so much. But it's just a waiting game and I have to try and stay positive.

Anyway like I said it's just a bit of an update and now I'm probably gonna go 'poof' again for a little while but I can't wait to come back and catch up on this thread soon as I do miss it. I've caught up on a months worth of posts before so I'm sure I can do it again haha

I'm so sorry you and your grandmother are dealing with this and I'm thinking good thoughts for you both. Hope to see you around again soon!

Echoing this!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Fellow BB fans...TWO DAYS!!!! I'm so pumped!

whoop whoop!!!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Jazzybrass wrote: »
    I finally found PB2 in a shop. I like making it up to a paste and eating it. I also like putting it with banana and yoghurt for breakfast

Just don't mix it with cottage cheese blech. That's one of the most vilest creations I ever thought to try. It's also pretty good on a rice cake.

I forget who mentioned Justin's peanut butters & today I bought a small snack size Almond Butter & Maple to compare to the MaraNatha at Giant today.

Peanut butter and cottage cheese? I admit I retched a little at the thought of that.
  • NikkiRob0105
    NikkiRob0105 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Omg yes this is me... I love pooping. I get so excited, feeling my tummy empty out. Y'ALL PROMISED not to judge soooo... I eat Metamucil powder for extra fiber. I hate how it tastes mixed with water as a drink, so I decided to try just the powder. It tastes like pixie stick powder, orange flavor. Pour it out onto a plate, lick your finger, stick it in the powder, lick it off. SO good. Ugh I'm so gross...
    Confession: I get really really excited when I poop before breakfast.

• Italian_Buju
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Is it me or is it mostly women posting here? Did we scare off most of the men?

We have xMrBunglex and Uncle Fester sometimes. We ran off the rest with our talk of TOM, bras, breastfeeding and whatever else. :D

and we have mixmode..I can't remember the correct way to spell it with numbers and such! :#

Isn't @m1xm0d3 a girl?

LOL
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    yesterday afternoon i had plans to take my mom to see jurassic world. yesterday we also had a massive storm that dumped tons of rain. it was still slightly raining when i left the house to meet her at the theater. of course i'm perpetually late for everything and was probably driving a smidge too fast for the road conditions.

then i started to fishtail on the four lane highway, and i completely can't pull out of it, totally lose control, the car does a full 360 spin across the two lanes of oncoming traffic and i bounce off of the opposing guardrail.

by some tiny miracle, no one was coming when i crossed lanes. if anyone had been, i probably would have killed them and myself. so i'm on the wrong side of the road facing the wrong direction. see no one coming at me head on, and drive back over to the right side of the road to a stoplight. this dude pulls up in the lane next to me and is like ARE YOU OK?!?!! i'm all shaky and say yeah, i think so. light turns green and i drive on to the theater like everything is fine.

i meet up with my mom and i'm like, i think i might have just almost died, and explain the whole thing to her and she's like... well maybe you should slow the hell down. and i say no, this was REALLY scary, and she's just like yeah, i've done it before too. slow down.

thanks mom!

confession: my mother's total lack of empathy and concern really ticks me off sometimes....

I confess my first thought was why are you driving so fast to make a movie of all things......esp in bad weather, slow down!
  • Oberon21
    Options

Friday night the husband and I went to Outback for dinner. I was not thrilled about this because I didn't think I had enough calories for Outback because I always get the Alice Springs Chicken with fries. I decided to order the chicken, but subbed fries with steamed broccoli, which, if you've being paying attention at all, you'll know how incredibly difficult that decision was. I regretted not getting the fries until I tasted the broccoli, it was delicious. I ended up only eating half my dinner, and I even got to share a piece of cheesecake with my love and STILL managed a deficit. Yay, me!

Saturday, my daughter and I were going to go shopping for Father's Day, my eye appointment, and get some last minute things for our trip, but we were also going to go to the candy shop for snacks so my husband wanted to come too. We ended up going to the candy shop first which was a big success except they were out of my favorite trail mix (luckily, I still had some left over from the last visit) so I got buttered toffee pecans (holy sweet, salty, and crunchy, they are amazing), and some dried apples. He got mostly candy. :smile:

From there, we went to the mall since that's where my appointment was to kill some time, but also so I wouldn't be late. We ended up in JCP looking at dresses. Husband picked out some he wanted me to try on (his questionable taste presented itself again) but nothing worked. We met up outside in the sitting area of the mall and he asked me if I wanted to kill some more time at Helzberg, and I said sure. Long story short, we ended up looking at diamond rings and bridal sets. I didn't think we were really going to purchase anything since he said we'd do shopping in Florida. Apparently, he'd been really thinking about that and decided if we were going to get one, he wanted to get it before we went so it could be sized and everything beforehand. I tried on several rings before falling head over heals for a 1/2 ct. princess cut in white gold. It was absolutely mesmerizing. I could not quit staring at it. That's pretty much how I felt the first time I laid eyes on him. Love at first sight. Anywho, I tried on a few different guards and finally found a perfect fit. The lady sized my finger (size 5 btw, I was pretty shocked by that) and I was off to my appointment.

My appointment took maybe 20 minutes so I went to Auntie Anne's for pretzels and a DP ( I know, I was doing to so good) and then headed back to Helzberg. Well, come to find out, he bought the ring while I was at my appointment and was finishing up paperwork and stuff when I got back. I was shocked, I didn't expect to get anything finished so soon. Turns out, the ring I picked out is a VVS2 (3rd from highest quality you can get) and almost completely colorless. It is also a limited edition diamond which I didn't know either. I just knew I loved the ring. When they were telling us all the stuff about the diamond, they said I have really good taste. I said, putting my arm around Husband, "Obviously!" He blushed. It was adorable. I hope to have my ring by Thursday, but I might have to wait until after we get back from Florida.

Now for stepdaughter news.

She was a no call, no show Saturday and Sunday. She DID tag him on facebook saying Happy Father's Day and I love you, but I guess she was just too busy to come by and give him the only thing he really wanted which was some of her time. He fell asleep last night while watching TV and then woke up and asked me what time it was. I said 8 or 9, and he said, really, no way. He then pulled out his phone to check for messages. Nothing. The look on his face was so painfully sad I started crying. I told him I was sorry she didn't come by, and he said, "I can't believe she didn't come over on Father's Day." To make matters worse, Rachael told me she thought it'd be fun having a sister, but it's not. I hate that she's treating them so badly.

I'm sad because she'll never know how incredible her dad is and that she seems to have zero interest in being a part of our amazing family. If it were up to me, I'd take the car back and tell her off, but I don't want to do anything that could hurt the chances of a future relationship. What I don't understand, is she found him, he didn't seek her out, she came to him. Why would she do that if she didn't want to have anything to do with him, just his money?!

I'm heartbroken for my loves. Why did this crap have to happen a week before we leave?!

Three cheers for a new ring!! You deserve it!!

Your step daughter is a selfish twit. Sorry your family has to go through this. You are being way more diplomatic with her than I think I could ever be. Kudos to you for taking the high road!

Thank you! I honestly think that if it weren't for the timing, I wouldn't be. I also don't want to be the cause of him never having a chance at a relationship with her.

Oh, and do you remember that I said I wanted to get Husband a watch for our anniversary?! Well, he was looking at watches at the jewelry store, so I think I made the right decision. I did tell him though, I was not going to be able to spend as much on his gift as he did mine. He was okay with that. :smiley:

OMG! I can hardly wait to see your ring! Sounds exactly like what I would pick! Mine is also a princess cut but it is yellow gold. I prefer white, but whatever. No biggie there.

SO hurtful, that girl (step-daughter). I still can't completely write her off. She's got a lot of years of growing up ahead of her. Sometimes kids have NO concept or regard for their parent's feelings until they become one themselves. Otherwise, it doesn't even dawn on them what their actions are doing to others. I'm very sorry your husband was sad and I'm sure he appreciated your sympathy.

Hope you find him the perfect watch!

Yeah, I think maybe she just needs to grow up some more first. It just hurts me to see him so sad.

I can't wait to show it to you guys! You were the first people I thought of after I found out he was buying it. I haven't even told my RL friends yet. I told my best friend that he was at the jewelry store, but I didn't tell her he bought anything. She said he sucks at surprises, which he totally does, but he just gets so excited, he can't help it. It's really sweet.

Like he did with the ring, I think I'm going to let him pick out his watch. No budget. Within reason of course.

I sure wish I could find a picture of the ring to show you guys. I should have had someone take a picture of it on my finger. Dang it!

We will be waiting! I want to see too!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    festerw wrote: »
    yesterday afternoon i had plans to take my mom to see jurassic world. yesterday we also had a massive storm that dumped tons of rain. it was still slightly raining when i left the house to meet her at the theater. of course i'm perpetually late for everything and was probably driving a smidge too fast for the road conditions.

then i started to fishtail on the four lane highway, and i completely can't pull out of it, totally lose control, the car does a full 360 spin across the two lanes of oncoming traffic and i bounce off of the opposing guardrail.

by some tiny miracle, no one was coming when i crossed lanes. if anyone had been, i probably would have killed them and myself. so i'm on the wrong side of the road facing the wrong direction. see no one coming at me head on, and drive back over to the right side of the road to a stoplight. this dude pulls up in the lane next to me and is like ARE YOU OK?!?!! i'm all shaky and say yeah, i think so. light turns green and i drive on to the theater like everything is fine.

i meet up with my mom and i'm like, i think i might have just almost died, and explain the whole thing to her and she's like... well maybe you should slow the hell down. and i say no, this was REALLY scary, and she's just like yeah, i've done it before too. slow down.

thanks mom!

confession: my mother's total lack of empathy and concern really ticks me off sometimes....

I confess I might be a lot like your mom.

LOL, I confess my first thought was 'You need to slow down and probably need new tires.'

And here's my boys, one on the left is Ollie a pitbull/hound mix, the other is Boone an Irish Setter/Lab mix.
    jeep.jpg

Nice dogs and love the Jeep by the way! !IIIII!

The black dog looks super annoyed that his photo is being taken lol