Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Okay, no one really took me up on our daily motivation, but I am going to go ahead and share progress anyway.

Steps: 19, 903 (vs. 25K goal) due to rain and help at barn, as I didn't do quite as much walking as I might normally due as I had help. +
    Never got to my run. I had forgotten my shoes so had clothes but no shoes at barn. So had to come home (kiss of death) and try to motivate myself. Well, after eating, and dealing with a washing machine mess (standing water due to clogged filter from washing bathroom mat that disintegrated) it was 10:00. I just couldn't get myself out then. +
    No alcohol +
    Did not work on dissertation. For the above reasons.

So not great. Today:

Flying to Dallas on a 6:40 flight (hence being up so early) for a meeting. So... this is really going to be a challenge but going to try to:

Walk 10K
    Run 1 hour
    Work in dissertation (I will use the plane trip to read some articles I have lined up for my literature review)
    No alcohol (this will also be challenging as I am going out with some of my team for 'drinks' as I am in Dallas and we don't see each other much.

So...on 3 hours sleep off I go. I'll probably check in at airport, etc. Have a great day all.

Have a safe trip!!

I was going to take you up on this yesterday but every time I tried to post mfp decided it didn't like me.

Today I'm aiming for:

7,000 steps (it's low but between Saturday and Sunday I did close to 27,000 which is a new record for me)

No alcohol

Get half my long to do list done at work since it's a holiday Wednesday and its month end.

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have for my list:

-Exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes
    -Stay within 100 calories of my goal without using earned exercise calories
    -Some alcohol (Red wine < 5 oz.)
    -Do some gosh darn food prep because my dad keeps eating it all! :rage: (at least he's eating healthy food)

Alright, I know, I'm starting off light. Sometimes we need baby steps.
    OH! And look into getting a fitbit since everyone seems to love them so much. :lol:
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I love the accountability idea. Here's my list (also baby steps)

- at least 7000 steps
    - walk at least 30 minutes
    - log my food
    - get kitchen cleaned (company coming soon)
    - finish unit one of the online course I am building
    - cook a healthy dinner

There, it's written down! Good luck everyone!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Well. Just got back from the doctors. Saw a different doctor this time. He said NO carbs. Not even yogurt, he said if I don't lose weight on this, we have a serious problem. I asked him if it could be anything else and he said "Well, we could faff around putting you on different diets, but it seems you have put a lot of time and effort into this already so I recommend you go straight to the jugular and cut carbs. It will work, it will always work. It's hard, and it will suck, it will really suck, but you will lose fat." So I went to the nearest bakery, bought myself an apple and raspberry danish (at 9 in the morning) and ate it while driving to work. If I can't have carbs for the next 2 months, I'm going to end it with something amazing. and it was.

I'm glad he had a plan of action for you anyway. Come here and vent your pain!

@Italian_Buju sorry things aren't go well right now (((hugs))).
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Well. Just got back from the doctors. Saw a different doctor this time. He said NO carbs. Not even yogurt, he said if I don't lose weight on this, we have a serious problem. I asked him if it could be anything else and he said "Well, we could faff around putting you on different diets, but it seems you have put a lot of time and effort into this already so I recommend you go straight to the jugular and cut carbs. It will work, it will always work. It's hard, and it will suck, it will really suck, but you will lose fat." So I went to the nearest bakery, bought myself an apple and raspberry danish (at 9 in the morning) and ate it while driving to work. If I can't have carbs for the next 2 months, I'm going to end it with something amazing. and it was.

Hmmm. I am not sure about this. I have done no carbs. You lose energy. Going potty is hard! You do lose,weight fast but you gain it back. Did he mean ALL carbs or just white bread etc. If it's like Atkins you are going to need laxatives. Unless being a meat eater is different. I did it with tuna and cheese. Couldn't eat either for a couple of years after as I over did it. All I ate for 4 months.
  • Coastalpath
    Coastalpath Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is long so don't expect people to read it - just need to get it out!

Like a lot of other posters here I am going through lots of life stresses at the moment and the last few days have felt very sad, numb and unmotivated. I am ever so slightly eating my feelings 'grief bacon' but am logging it all so I can see it in black and white. My confession today is that I am fed up with never feeling as though I am allowed to be stressed or upset. Work, home, health are all suffering at the moment, but I am just expected to suck it up. If one more person says to me 'it could be worse' I might scream. I am silently screaming and unfortunately the pain is beginning to show on my face. I know things could be worse, just doesn't mean that because someone somewhere has it worse than me that I just have to 'be fine' all the time.

Dealing with mixed emotions is so hard - so happy for friends and loved ones who have fantastic things happening, mixed with my grief and sadness for what I am secretly going through. Not wanting to see friends because I don't want to make them miserable mixed with worrying I am not being a good friend by seeing them and sharing in their joys. Or, worse, that I am making them feel guilty for being happy.

Feels better to 'get it out' but I am so sad at the moment and I just wonder when bad things will stop happening!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I am wearing a skirt today (which happens maybe twice a year) and every time I go in the bathroom I check out my butt and do a little shake thing because I like the way the skirt moves :blush:

I do the same thing! I love twirling in a skirt.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Stuck in the middle row between 2 men. They better understand airline protocol... middle seat gets the armrests. Right now I am thinking not. I may be obnoxious about it.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options

Hmmm. I am not sure about this. I have done no carbs. You lose energy. Going potty is hard! You do lose,weight fast but you gain it back. Did he mean ALL carbs or just white bread etc. If it's like Atkins you are going to need laxatives. Unless being a meat eater is different. I did it with tuna and cheese. Couldn't eat either for a couple of years after as I over did it. All I ate for 4 months.

He said no carbs. His exacts words were "Get used to plain meat and leaves" But he was trying to cheer me up because I was pretty upset when he started listing all the things I can't eat. I was shocked to hear tomatoes and carrot on the list.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Checking in from page 1084 I'm far behind so won't quote anything. Back from a day at Goodwood Festival of Speed was brilliant and enjoyed my pieminister beef and ale pie followed by a large Mr Whippy. My Fitbit says I did 12500 steps so I'm not even sorry!

I have to ask....what's a Mr. Whippy?

Haha not sure if anyone has answered this...if you are not from/in UK it probably sounds strange. It's soft scoop whipped ice cream in a cone with a chocolate flake. Also known as a 99 from when they used to cost 99 pence (sterling). They are served from an ice cream van. Reminds me of childhood!

I seen Orange post about clotted cream & was wondering is that more of a whipped cream, cottage cheese, or yogurt?

Sorry Kelly, it is a very thick, unctious, gooey cream: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotted_cream

@Italian_Buju I hope things are ok. you can always escape in here, and vent if needed.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    @Coastalpath hugs to you!

First - your feelings are your feelings and you have every right to have them. They are valid!

Second - I don't have much else but a wish and a hope that things get better for you quickly!!
  • Oberon21
    Options

Like a lot of other posters here I am going through lots of life stresses at the moment and the last few days have felt very sad, numb and unmotivated. I am ever so slightly eating my feelings 'grief bacon' but am logging it all so I can see it in black and white. My confession today is that I am fed up with never feeling as though I am allowed to be stressed or upset. Work, home, health are all suffering at the moment, but I am just expected to suck it up. If one more person says to me 'it could be worse' I might scream. I am silently screaming and unfortunately the pain is beginning to show on my face. I know things could be worse, just doesn't mean that because someone somewhere has it worse than me that I just have to 'be fine' all the time.

Dealing with mixed emotions is so hard - so happy for friends and loved ones who have fantastic things happening, mixed with my grief and sadness for what I am secretly going through. Not wanting to see friends because I don't want to make them miserable mixed with worrying I am not being a good friend by seeing them and sharing in their joys. Or, worse, that I am making them feel guilty for being happy.

Feels better to 'get it out' but I am so sad at the moment and I just wonder when bad things will stop happening!

Oh I am so sorry. It sounds like you are depressed. Maybe seeing someone would help?

I felt like this all last year. Maybe the last 2. I started avoiding my best friend, the barn, my family. It's easier for me as I am single. Not sure about you. I started preferring to spend time alone and started going out to eat by myself every night and reading and eating and drinking wine. It got worse this past winter when I started sleeping like 8-10 hours a night (I never do that). I finally forced myself to start to go to the barn, exercise and see my friend again on weekends. Some days I still just want comfort food and to be alone with my wine and a book (or now you guys) like I did on Saturday. But it's not every day and it's not as severe. I don't know why I got depressed in the first place but it took a long time to shake it. Try and put yourself back out there and if you don't think you can on your own then try therapy. And know we are here for you. Hugs.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Okay, no one really took me up on our daily motivation, but I am going to go ahead and share progress anyway.

Steps: 19, 903 (vs. 25K goal) due to rain and help at barn, as I didn't do quite as much walking as I might normally due as I had help. +
    Never got to my run. I had forgotten my shoes so had clothes but no shoes at barn. So had to come home (kiss of death) and try to motivate myself. Well, after eating, and dealing with a washing machine mess (standing water due to clogged filter from washing bathroom mat that disintegrated) it was 10:00. I just couldn't get myself out then. +
    No alcohol +
    Did not work on dissertation. For the above reasons.

So not great. Today:

Flying to Dallas on a 6:40 flight (hence being up so early) for a meeting. So... this is really going to be a challenge but going to try to:

Walk 10K
    Run 1 hour
    Work in dissertation (I will use the plane trip to read some articles I have lined up for my literature review)
    No alcohol (this will also be challenging as I am going out with some of my team for 'drinks' as I am in Dallas and we don't see each other much.

So...on 3 hours sleep off I go. I'll probably check in at airport, etc. Have a great day all.

- Housework (Please, self, for the love of God, clean this house...)

This made me laugh so hard. ..

lol :p It made my husband snicker, too, when he saw it. I'm happy to report that house-cleaning is under way, and the apartment almost looks like humans live in it now!

... Not that it was a pigsty or anything, but I have a tendency to do a ton of cleaning in one day (like today...) and the house sparkles, then I let it all go downhill for a week or so until there's another ton of cleaning to do. I need to learn to just maintain the shiny! :p
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Oh, that really stinks. :( Hope it goes well for you! In his definition of NO carbs, I assume non-starchy veggies are still allowed? I really hope you lose a good amount of weight on this--you've been working SO HARD and not seeing results and I'm sure it's just horribly, awfully frustrating.

... I totally would have done that too. I LOVE danishes.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Your feelings are valid. What you are going through is real and it is difficult for you. We understand and I am sure we have all been there at some point. You ARE allowed to feel this way and you ARE allowed to vent.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Of course you know we're going to read it all! :)

I know how this feels, and I'm so sorry you're going through it. YOUR FEELINGS ARE VALID. You shouldn't feel like you have to suck it up when you're feeling so awful--you're allowed to feel what you feel, and there isn't a rule saying anything against that. Do what you need to do to relieve some of that bottled up pain. Take some time alone and have a good cry, listen to some sad music, whatever works for you. Continuing to bottle it up only results in a horrible, uncontrollable explosion of emotion at some future point.

I agree that it's really hard to deal with mixed emotions, but sometimes you need to focus on YOU. Maybe tell people that telling you that it could be worse isn't helping, and that they're only making you feel worse about it, and to please let up and let you FEEL without brushing off your emotions.

Big hugs to you! Hope it gets better soon. <3
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    I have for my list:

-Exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes
    -Stay within 100 calories of my goal without using earned exercise calories
    -Some alcohol (Red wine < 5 oz.)
    -Do some gosh darn food prep because my dad keeps eating it all! :rage: (at least he's eating healthy food)

Alright, I know, I'm starting off light. Sometimes we need baby steps.
    OH! And look into getting a fitbit since everyone seems to love them so much. :lol:

That would be SO annoying. I'm actually thankful that I no longer live with my family because I hated it when people would eat my food without asking! Since I prepare the majority of our meals, my husband doesn't do that, which I'm also very thankful for. :p

As for baby steps, I agree! As you can see by my list, I'm just starting out crawling, really. :) Very easy things.

... Everyone in this thread is going to own a Fitbit soon, thanks to my announcement. And that will be AWESOME. :p
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options

Good luck to you, that does sound hard. I really hope it works for you!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    @coastalpath I’m really sorry you are struggling. If you can, try and carve a few minutes out of each day to look after yourself, whether its some deep breathing/meditation, exercise, a solitary cup of coffee. It is also important that you acknowledge your stress and feelings, don’t squash them away because others think you should. Everything you think and feel is valid to you.

I’m going to check out the fitbit thread in a moment. I’m having a bit of a sucky morning at work.

Totally randomly, as I drove back from Devon last night, I planned what I might have for my wedding reception. Partly inspired by this thread and partly by a comedienne that was on radio 4 (don’t judge) yesterday. Bear in mind my relationship structure means I will never get married, but still, I planned it…

So I’d have an afternoon tea, catered by my favourite Torquay café, with made to order sandwiches (guests choose from a small list of fillings); bread is home made white or granary. A variety of home made scones, with cherry, or ginger, or white choc chips in. Lots of different fruit jams. And huge bowls of clotted cream. There may also be cinnamon toast. And lots of different cakes, like Victoria sponge, lemon drizzle, chocolate brownie. All served with either tea, coffee (from starbucks) or something sparkling, probably Prosecco or Asti (I’m actually a cherry lambrini kind of girl). Set to a background of string quartet music.

And for evening meal I’d have a Chinese buffet, in the style of the Mongolian barbecue restaurant chain (do they have those in the states?) basically, you take your bowl, choose your meat/veg/noodles/cooking sauce, and they cook it on a flat top stove while you wait.

It will be held in a marquee, on the cliff tops, near where I live (in Devon).

I spent nearly 200 miles planning this. I have no idea what I’d be wearing, nor what the ceremony would be like.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

He said no carbs. His exacts words were "Get used to plain meat and leaves" But he was trying to cheer me up because I was pretty upset when he started listing all the things I can't eat. I was shocked to hear tomatoes and carrot on the list.
    Isn't 9am always the best time to eat a Danish? Good luck with no carbs - watch out for sauces and make friends with the spice rack (I cried on my second week when I had yet another tofu stir fry).

Confession: I ate two family blocks of chocolate on the weekend and did <4000 steps. It was awesome.

I'm also holding a box of Jaffa cakes hostage from a colleague but I think she's forgotten that she asked me to get them for her.