Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

Rant ahead...and I'm sorry, because I know it sounds like a humblebrag and I swear that's not the intention...it really is very frustrating because I'm not even an especially tiny person.

I have a tough time with clothes because my frame is such that I'm on the border of not fitting into women's sizes, so I often have to seek out juniors' stuff that's appropriate for adults or scour stores with smaller more "European" sizing like Zara. Almost all my non-work stuff is either from the kids' section (Costco, a lot of the time) or from cheapo juniors' stores. And I have as much stretchy stuff as I can get away with for work, lots of wool sweaters and skinny trousers that are basically dress-pants-jeggings. Stores like Banana Republic, J Crew, Loft, and Express where lots of women my age shop for work basics are so vanity-sized I can't buy a pair of pants that fits there anymore because I have no butt. Fortunately all that loose, unstructured stuff, especially for tops, is in style now even for work so I've had options lately, though.

I'm that practically-thirty-year-old flipping through every rack at H&M and Forever 21 looking for stuff that doesn't belong on a girl half my age.

For exercise, I do kids' stuff from Costco, Victoria's Secret PINK leggings, and I do buy a LOT of Lululemon and I'm sorry. I am also that person who buys $100 hoodies and leggings sometimes. But the fit is beautiful, they are so comfortable, and they're sturdy too.

Try being the 51 year old flipping through the juniors' racks because the grown-up women's clothing seems to be styled/sized for gals with much larger hips/bums and bosoms than mine. :/

At least in my case the casual onlooker will probably think I'm shopping for my daughter or even granddaughter. :D Until I hold something up to me to eyeball the length.

I do like RW... they do "grown up" without crossing the "frumpy" line. Most of my clothing comes from online shopping or Winners (and TJMax when in US). Almost all of my workout wear is Winners/TJMax, with a few Old Navy tops in there... their pants are never long enough for me, unless I can find talls.

Most of my major grocery shopping is Superstore/No Frills. (Needless to say, their Joe pants are too short too.)

It's my future, haha. I just don't care anymore though because what else am I supposed to do? Buy everything too big and spend more money to have it tailored? Nope, I don't want to spend the extra so apart from a couple nice skirt suits I had altered for big meetings and stuff I'd rather just keep digging for appropriate clothes in teen stores.

I HAVE a chest and hips and women's stuff still doesn't fit most of the time...yet the stuff my mom wore as a size 8 in the 80s fits perfectly, so go figure. She nearly fainted when I bought a wedding dress in a 0 (I'm ten pounds heavier than she was and her dress was, again, an 8), thinking I'd lost my mind, but that is really how much sizes have changed compared to when she was my age.

That is true. I have a bigger waist now at 44 then I did at age 20. It is about 2.5 - 3 inches bigger. The rest of me is very close to the same size. I have a size 6 dress from about 1992 that I can't zip past my waist. Also I have three suits of the same brand that I bought the same day. They are petite sizes 0, 2, 4 and they all fit the same! Size is pretty meaningless because it is so inconsistent. I find it harder and harder to find clothes that fit.

I only find it hard to find appropriate clothes that fit.

That made me laugh.

edit to fix brackets quote
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    I have to special order shoes and don't have a big collection. I have these in size 4.5.

dj1003blackwhite.jpg&maxx=470&maxy=0

I wore these last night.
    dj1002brown.jpg&maxx=470&maxy=0

And I have these.
    dj1001r.jpg&maxx=470&maxy=0

But most of the time I wear these in women's 5.
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.landaustore.co.uk%2Fimages%2Ffootwear%2Fconverse%2Fmens%2Fconverse-mens-converse-mens-shoes-ox-low-black-canvas-43050.jpg&f=1

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I know I have said this before but tomatoes = ick for me.

Me too. I like ketchup, salsa, and other tomato based sauces, but can't stand fresh tomatoes. Eww.

Same. Tomatoes on their own make me retch.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the shout out @xLoveLikeWinterx ! ;)

So earlier I mentioned how I was worried about going shopping today because I make horrible decisions when I don't have a lot of sleep. Well, I did ok...bought a few snacky/dessert foods that could be bad (I would normally tend to eat it all at once on days like today). The time that I usually do such damage is when I replace lunch with "naughty" foods or a bit later while my son is napping and I'm bored waiting for him to get up. Welllll, I had a good lunch and I hid the snack foods that I bought in my son's closet so I can't get to them while he is napping. :) I have thought of doing this in the past but have never actually done it. I think it was @riderfangal who admitted to doing it a while back.
    Now I'm just hoping I don't take them out of the closet and break into them later tonight after my husband leaves to go fishing overnight/son is sleeping and I'm left alone to eat out of boredom again! ***Must leave food in son's closet***
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

ETA: Strong Lifts? Is that it?
    Yes! Strong lifts 5x5 is the name of the program. If you have a power rack at home you are completely set! (And I'm insanely jealous of you and @ythannah). SL is just two workouts that you alternate - three lifts per workout, 5 sets of 5 reps (except deadlift, that's only one set). A is squat, bench, row and B is squat, overhead press, deadlift. Ideal programming is three times a week, but I only do twice a week sometimes and I'm still steadily progressing. If you download the free app it tells you when and how much to up your weight (which is everytime unless you fail) and will tell you to decrease weight if you fail too many times in a row. Also has a nifty timer built in to make sure you're resting enough between sets.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I think I'd like to try that out after I finish up with the last 10-12 lbs I wanted to lose. I've never done a dead lift and am irrationally worried about hurting my back somehow... heh... I think I'll watch some videos re: form and such... or just ask Mr. Jenni, cuz he know that stuff. Maybe it can be something we do together!

Don't be afraid! Form videos are your friends, as is starting slow with low weight to get your form correct before you could hurt yourself, and definitely include Mr. Jenni!
    I am the clutziest person around, I'm lifting weights many would consider heavy now, and if I can get here damage free, I promise, you can too!
    Also, no need to wait (for the last few pounds) to start lifting unless you want to. You can get newbie lifter bonus points even in a deficit. You might not progress as quickly as you could eating at maintenance but you can still get strength gains. I circuit trained all through my weight loss and definitely got stronger.

I agree with everything said here. And the bolded is me all over, I'm one of those people who would fall backwards off the treadmill, which is why I run in the park on the grass instead. lol
    And you definitely shouldn't wait, so many times I've read on the success stories that they wish they had started it sooner, so I started when I was 215lbs. :smile:

I'm 2 weeks in on a weights routine (with trainer and horrendeous DOMS) at 213lbs

Nice work @orangesmartie !! I think I'll give the SL 5x5 program a whirl. My husband already has the app on his phone and seemed excited about doing it with me. I have knees that are a little sensitive, so I'm REALLY hoping the squats go ok. Thanks @Lois_1989 @WestCoastJo82 @nonoelmo @ythannah and all the other women lifters here who have inspired me to give this a shot!

Practice your squat form with no eight, not even the bar. Then with the empty bar and add weight SLOWLY. I started squatting a year ago and am just now doing 100lbs. When my knees hurt, I drop weight (like 20lbs) for a couple of sessions and add back slowly again. (I didn't do the other lifts until January. I just spotted for my husband for a long time.)

Thank you for the advice!! I will do what it takes to keep my knees feeling good, but I also would love to gain some muscle. I used to do circuit training years ago, but I would use the leg press machine instead of doing the squats because it was easier on my knees. I don't have that luxury this time because we will be working out at home (can't afford gym membership, so will work with what we've got). I'm looking forward to it!!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    So TMI alert but here's a thought (you've been warned).

As previously bemoaned, a lovely side effect of pregnancy is the slowing down of one's bowel and all the delightful consequences associated therewith.

While I finally managed to 'lighten my load' earlier today after a few days of stalling, it occurred to me that perhaps this is nature's way of readying the body for birth. I swear I had to do breathing exercises to get through it!

I feel better now...

As I don't have children and therefore have never given birth, this scares me :#

Aaah I didn't mean to put anyone off. Pregnancy has thus far not been too bad. I haven't puked once! Also now I'm at the stage where people officially know, I feel I can stick my gut out as far as I like (even if it is primarily due to too much lunch rather than baby). There are positives too!

I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

It ABSOLUTELY will be worth it in the end!!! <3

This. 1000X. I go down in history in my circle of friends/family for the worst 2 pregnancies ever and I still say that.
  • jthurman3
    Options
    @Lois_1989 Hahaha - thanks for the memes! I love the "Just Do It... Even if you suck" one. The pic of you with your mom is SUPER CUTE! :) Happy vacation next week!
  • jthurman3
    Options
    Thanks for the shout out @xLoveLikeWinterx ! ;)

So earlier I mentioned how I was worried about going shopping today because I make horrible decisions when I don't have a lot of sleep. Well, I did ok...bought a few snacky/dessert foods that could be bad (I would normally tend to eat it all at once on days like today). The time that I usually do such damage is when I replace lunch with "naughty" foods or a bit later while my son is napping and I'm bored waiting for him to get up. Welllll, I had a good lunch and I hid the snack foods that I bought in my son's closet so I can't get to them while he is napping. :) I have thought of doing this in the past but have never actually done it. I think it was @riderfangal who admitted to doing it a while back.
    Now I'm just hoping I don't take them out of the closet and break into them later tonight after my husband leaves to go fishing overnight/son is sleeping and I'm left alone to eat out of boredom again! ***Must leave food in son's closet***

Nice job, Kelly!!! Good plan. It would be hard for me to not eat all the things as soon as I was by myself. Good luck!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    If you can't tell, I'm wasting time at work, but enlightening your day :)

Yes, you are! Thanks for the smiles.
    @raelynnsmama52512 glad the evaluation went well and hope they find some programming to help her!

Can somebody please explain to me how it is that I can stop at the store, buy black beans, brownie mix, and ALL the ingredients for pistachio salad from memory... but can't remember to buy the toothpaste I've needed for the past couple of days? *bangs head*

(no, I'm not entirely without toothpaste, it just takes me 5 minutes to squeeze the dregs out of the tube)

And, for the record, black beans smell like cat food.

Ditto to @raelynnsmama52512!!!

And I love this whole post.

Ditto!

I've always thought that Refried Beans while tasty looks like dog food/cat food.

Oh definitely. I love them...but they look awful!

Try pureeing them. It took a great deal of faith in @peleroja to pour that purplish soup out of the blender into a nice bowl of brownie mix.

(They're dense brownies. I couldn't believe the weight of the Tupperware container when I went to put them in the fridge.)

Hahaha! It would take a great deal of faith for me to do the same to the brownies. Though I would really like to try this. How did they taste @ythannah ??

They're quite good... good enough that I managed to scarf down two pieces last night. Very dense and moist inside with a very thin exterior crispyness.

The beans are undetectable but somehow serve to mute the sweetness and possibly a bit of the chocolate flavour. I used a cheap generic packaged brownie mix so for a true comparison I'd have to bake a batch the regular way and taste test both... I suspect they are probably very sweet in their intended form.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

Rant ahead...and I'm sorry, because I know it sounds like a humblebrag and I swear that's not the intention...it really is very frustrating because I'm not even an especially tiny person.

I have a tough time with clothes because my frame is such that I'm on the border of not fitting into women's sizes, so I often have to seek out juniors' stuff that's appropriate for adults or scour stores with smaller more "European" sizing like Zara. Almost all my non-work stuff is either from the kids' section (Costco, a lot of the time) or from cheapo juniors' stores. And I have as much stretchy stuff as I can get away with for work, lots of wool sweaters and skinny trousers that are basically dress-pants-jeggings. Stores like Banana Republic, J Crew, Loft, and Express where lots of women my age shop for work basics are so vanity-sized I can't buy a pair of pants that fits there anymore because I have no butt. Fortunately all that loose, unstructured stuff, especially for tops, is in style now even for work so I've had options lately, though.

I'm that practically-thirty-year-old flipping through every rack at H&M and Forever 21 looking for stuff that doesn't belong on a girl half my age.

For exercise, I do kids' stuff from Costco, Victoria's Secret PINK leggings, and I do buy a LOT of Lululemon and I'm sorry. I am also that person who buys $100 hoodies and leggings sometimes. But the fit is beautiful, they are so comfortable, and they're sturdy too.

Try being the 51 year old flipping through the juniors' racks because the grown-up women's clothing seems to be styled/sized for gals with much larger hips/bums and bosoms than mine. :/

At least in my case the casual onlooker will probably think I'm shopping for my daughter or even granddaughter. :D Until I hold something up to me to eyeball the length.

I do like RW... they do "grown up" without crossing the "frumpy" line. Most of my clothing comes from online shopping or Winners (and TJMax when in US). Almost all of my workout wear is Winners/TJMax, with a few Old Navy tops in there... their pants are never long enough for me, unless I can find talls.

Most of my major grocery shopping is Superstore/No Frills. (Needless to say, their Joe pants are too short too.)

It's my future, haha. I just don't care anymore though because what else am I supposed to do? Buy everything too big and spend more money to have it tailored? Nope, I don't want to spend the extra so apart from a couple nice skirt suits I had altered for big meetings and stuff I'd rather just keep digging for appropriate clothes in teen stores.

I HAVE a chest and hips and women's stuff still doesn't fit most of the time...yet the stuff my mom wore as a size 8 in the 80s fits perfectly, so go figure. She nearly fainted when I bought a wedding dress in a 0 (I'm ten pounds heavier than she was and her dress was, again, an 8), thinking I'd lost my mind, but that is really how much sizes have changed compared to when she was my age.

That is true. I have a bigger waist now at 44 then I did at age 20. It is about 2.5 - 3 inches bigger. The rest of me is very close to the same size. I have a size 6 dress from about 1992 that I can't zip past my waist. Also I have three suits of the same brand that I bought the same day. They are petite sizes 0, 2, 4 and they all fit the same! Size is pretty meaningless because it is so inconsistent. I find it harder and harder to find clothes that fit.

I only find it hard to find appropriate clothes that fit.

That made me laugh.

edit to fix brackets quote

Right? If I could go to work in high-rise skinny jeggings and a crop top with "EAT SLEEP NETFLIX" on it I'd be golden... :smirk:
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    Half an hour left of work to go and I'm off for a week! I feel like my body knows this. It has started giving up since I got back from the gym. Muscles are a bit limp, getting quite drowsy, aaand I'm on here instead of doing work. :smile: I think I should just leave early.

Lucky duck.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Me and my mum :smiley:<3

that is too cute!
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    73j9d5w7ighr.jpg

I'm going to join you, @Lois_1989

haha, this is perfect. Except it's month end so there's actually a bunch of stuff I need to get done. :disappointed:
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Thanks, guys, I am not even participating in the bra conversation and now I am getting ads for tee-shirt bras and strapless bras in this thread... rather embarrassing at work. Glad no one is around!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    I'm getting ads for Safeway. I don't shop at Safeway and I didn't talk grocery stores.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    If you can't tell, I'm wasting time at work, but enlightening your day :)

Yes, you are! Thanks for the smiles.
    @raelynnsmama52512 glad the evaluation went well and hope they find some programming to help her!

Can somebody please explain to me how it is that I can stop at the store, buy black beans, brownie mix, and ALL the ingredients for pistachio salad from memory... but can't remember to buy the toothpaste I've needed for the past couple of days? *bangs head*

(no, I'm not entirely without toothpaste, it just takes me 5 minutes to squeeze the dregs out of the tube)

And, for the record, black beans smell like cat food.

Ditto to @raelynnsmama52512!!!

And I love this whole post.

Ditto!

I've always thought that Refried Beans while tasty looks like dog food/cat food.

Oh definitely. I love them...but they look awful!

Try pureeing them. It took a great deal of faith in @peleroja to pour that purplish soup out of the blender into a nice bowl of brownie mix.

(They're dense brownies. I couldn't believe the weight of the Tupperware container when I went to put them in the fridge.)

Hahaha! It would take a great deal of faith for me to do the same to the brownies. Though I would really like to try this. How did they taste @ythannah ??

They're quite good... good enough that I managed to scarf down two pieces last night. Very dense and moist inside with a very thin exterior crispyness.

The beans are undetectable but somehow serve to mute the sweetness and possibly a bit of the chocolate flavour. I used a cheap generic packaged brownie mix so for a true comparison I'd have to bake a batch the regular way and taste test both... I suspect they are probably very sweet in their intended form.

With my food intolerance(s) I've used banana (makes it chewy), applesauce, plum babyfood (pretty good) and other. I would try the beans and expect it to taste good.

For gluten free people I have used gluten free goddess blog for recipes a number of times and they have all been good.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    To catch up:

My favorite pizza is pepperoni and mushrooms, but I also love white pizza, buffalo chicken pizza, plain, and this amazing creation we used to make at Sbarro called Southwest chicken. Really, I just like pizza.

Like @spamarie, I'm short (under 5'2") so clothing is a challenge. I'm cheap, so hunt clearance racks, and really like "discount" places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross. The rest is Target and Kohl's generally, plus the occasion trip to the thrift store for fun. I do some alterations if needed, and I wear a lot of tank tops under tops that need me to be 6 inches taller or a DDD to make them work. ;)

I do nearly all of my grocery shopping at Wegmans because it's a half mile from my house. And open 24 hours. And the most amazing place in the world.

I love Wegman's! Always on my must go list when I visit my brother in Virginia!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »

Wow, I can't believe you just said you wish you could draw better...I think that is amazing. :) I love it! You are talented.

I'm not sure how to get this comment out of the quote so I'll just bold it. haha
    Thank you, that's very kind!! :smiley: I enjoy drawing/doodling but I never really worked that hard at being good at it. If I were to try to draw The Joker from memory it would probably end up look ridiculous :lol:

Also... these black bean brownies are sounding so delicious. I usually buy black beans every week anyway because I find them useful to have around and I love them. I'm thinking brownies tonight! ... But that means buying more flour... which means I will probably make three pans of brownies in the next week. Oops.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    @orangesmartie happy birthday to Charlie! Jello legos sound like a lot of fun. What a thoughtful, caring auntie you are!

And after reading many of the posts on here, I'm wondering if "regular" clothing fits anybody? Seriously, who is it designed for?

Wasting altogether too much time sitting here ogling my upper arm definition again, lol. It's a real novelty to have a body part that I actually like, however... most of the time I'm focusing on my flaws, so this is progress.

I spend an inordinate amount of time admiring my arms these days...everytime I pass a mirror. Less because of the definition and more because of how thin they are. I have never had thin arms. So weird how your body can change.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    quoted instead of edited. *face palm*

We've all done that AT LEAST once(or five times...).

At least you didn't fall off the treadmill?

Sorry @pofoster21 I had to poke a little fun. Hopefully the fall was mostly injury free.

OH and Sgt. Sexy Pants was in a motorcycle accident on the way to work today! :scream:

He ran his bike into a guard rail. He's dirty but okay. :lol:
    The motorcycle however.....uhm... Well let's just say he can't afford to take me on ANY dates for a while. :lol:

And OF COURSE he wouldn't tell me about it until the night's shift is almost over :grumble:

I am glad St. Sexy Pants is okay. He is blessed.

Two of my brothers wrecked the same motorcycle last summer and though the bike was fine the first time, the brother who bounced 200 Ft down the guard rail was in my trauma center for 8 days with four ribs remaining intact and a punctured lung. That was Memorial Day. On Independence Day, my oldest brother borrowed the bike because his was in the shop. A deer jumped the guardrail and the bike the deer and my brother skidded 200 yards down the interstate. Dead deer. Bike in pieces. Brother in my trauma center on a vent with collapsed lung, three broken ribs but only a crack in his pelvis because he lifts and his muscles held everything in place. (that's really why I lift now, it saved his life) I told bother #3 that if he got on his motorcycle on Labor Day weekend, I would break his ribs myself.

This is unbelievable. I do want a motorcycle but I am a bit afraid of them.

Honestly, the first accident was my brother's fault. He got into gravel on an exit ramp and instead of laying his new bike over and scratching the paint, he fought it. The bike came to rest on the crash stand. But the Life Flight cost more than it did.
    The second accident would have happened in a car. The deer hit the front tire. If that happened in my F250 it wouldn't end well and my airbag could break a rib and puncture a lung.
    If you are a bit afraid, you'll be a good rider. Go for it. It's the fools who think that they're invincible that cause problems.

QFT