Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    I have this set up as my daily reminder, it's a little harsh but it gets the job done.
    "You are your own worst enemy. You waste precious time dreaming of the future instead of engaging in the present. Since nothing seems urgent to you, you are only half involved in what you do. The only way to change is through action and outside pressure. Put yourself in situations where you have too much at stake to waste time and resources - if you can't afford to lose, you won't. Cut your ties to the past; enter unknown territory where you must rely on your wits and energy to see you through. Place yourself on 'death ground', where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like hell to get out alive."

On my fridge I have.
    "A Manifesto for a Simple Life: Eat less, move more. Buy less, make more. Stress less, laugh more. Feel Blessed, love more. Find a quiet spot everyday and Breathe."

i'm copying this, printing it out and putting it up on my wall. hardcore and awesome!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    And there we are...Kelly, you have launched page 1400!

YAY!! I feel special! :)
    And @Just_Ceci, this buttercream frosting talk is not helping my current problem of craving desserty deliciousness! :(

Sorry (not sorry). Should I have another piece of cake for you? :p

Yes. One for @kelly_c_77 and one for me!! I ate a fruit and yogurt parfait this morning as a treat (a 300 calorie treat! Ack!!) and now am hungry again. Doh!! Oh well, it was delicious. And now a co-worker just brought in bagels for everyone. Eeeeep. I'm gonna try to avoid them, but there's nothing quite like a toasted asiago bagel with cream cheese.
    Ok, you talked me into it. Ate another 2 (small) pieces of cake. Good thing I ran this morning!
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I change what eating plan i am going to follow almost daily (low cholesterol, atkins, south beach, mediterranean, etc). Gets my husband mad, but i just can't stick with one plan. So, now i am focusing on intuitive eating.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    So TMI alert but here's a thought (you've been warned).

As previously bemoaned, a lovely side effect of pregnancy is the slowing down of one's bowel and all the delightful consequences associated therewith.

While I finally managed to 'lighten my load' earlier today after a few days of stalling, it occurred to me that perhaps this is nature's way of readying the body for birth. I swear I had to do breathing exercises to get through it!

I feel better now...

As I don't have children and therefore have never given birth, this scares me :#

Aaah I didn't mean to put anyone off. Pregnancy has thus far not been too bad. I haven't puked once! Also now I'm at the stage where people officially know, I feel I can stick my gut out as far as I like (even if it is primarily due to too much lunch rather than baby). There are positives too!

I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

I'm just waiting for the clock to run out and hoping my health conditions mean early menopause!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am known at work for making really good cakes, usually from scratch. Today one of the guys is leaving to take a job out of state, so they asked me to make him a German chocolate cake. I made it- box mix, can of frosting. Everyone is raving about how good it is. I don't know whether I should be flattered or disappointed.

ETA: Yay me, I can follow directions!

German Choc cake is the one I'm the most tempted to do this with. I never make anything out of a box (My kitchen would have to be on fire first lol) but German Choc Cake from scratch tastes almost exactly like a box mix. If anything, scratch made is less sweet and mild chocolate flavor. The cake is a cinch to make, but the frosting is a PITA. Making the caramel base and throwing in the pecans and stirring til your arms hate you on extremely low heat drives me nuts... My mom asks for a GC Cake every year for her birthday and I do it but every year I swear I'm substituting Duncan Hines...Then no matter how cold/cooled off the cake is, even if you do a crumb coat, frosting it is HARD.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am known at work for making really good cakes, usually from scratch. Today one of the guys is leaving to take a job out of state, so they asked me to make him a German chocolate cake. I made it- box mix, can of frosting. Everyone is raving about how good it is. I don't know whether I should be flattered or disappointed.

That's awesome! Did you admit it was box?
    Yes! I owned it! Thursday night is my regular girls' bike group ride. I knew I would be pretty late getting home and didn't want to take the time to make one from scratch. I usually at least make frosting from scratch, but didn't even bother this time. Apparently, there are plenty of people here who can't even make a decent cake using box mix. :neutral:

Nice!
    Man, I bet frosting from scratch is AMAZING!

It's easy to make. Butter, confectioner's sugar, cream (just a bit), dash salt, dash vanilla or cocoa powder depending on flavor. Takes just a few minutes and OMG is it worth the effort.

That's for buttercream and if you whip it longer/sub heavyweight whipping cream for the cream it gets super fluffy... More butter, it gets fudgier...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did I make page 1400? I'm only 882 posts behind...
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

Yes! I owned it! Thursday night is my regular girls' bike group ride. I knew I would be pretty late getting home and didn't want to take the time to make one from scratch. I usually at least make frosting from scratch, but didn't even bother this time. Apparently, there are plenty of people here who can't even make a decent cake using box mix. :neutral:

Nice!
    Man, I bet frosting from scratch is AMAZING!

It's easy to make. Butter, confectioner's sugar, cream (just a bit), dash salt, dash vanilla or cocoa powder depending on flavor. Takes just a few minutes and OMG is it worth the effort.

That's for buttercream and if you whip it longer/sub heavyweight whipping cream for the cream it gets super fluffy... More butter, it gets fudgier...

Omgggg, don't tell me this!!!!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Did I make page 1400? I'm only 882 posts behind...

You did!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    I took today off, so nice! Mr. NY worked a half day and we had a great workout at the gym. We are now headed to my family's lake house with some of our friends for a nice relaxing weekend. I probably won't be on here too much, but I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. You are all super great!!!!

Have a great weekend!

I still have almost 4 hours left of this drudgery called "work"
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

German Choc cake is the one I'm the most tempted to do this with. I never make anything out of a box (My kitchen would have to be on fire first lol) but German Choc Cake from scratch tastes almost exactly like a box mix. If anything, scratch made is less sweet and mild chocolate flavor. The cake is a cinch to make, but the frosting is a PITA. Making the caramel base and throwing in the pecans and stirring til your arms hate you on extremely low heat drives me nuts... My mom asks for a GC Cake every year for her birthday and I do it but every year I swear I'm substituting Duncan Hines...Then no matter how cold/cooled off the cake is, even if you do a crumb coat, frosting it is HARD.

This is the mix I used:
    4xxsdn1lh12k.jpg
    It is delicious! It has a separate packet of coconut pecan mix to add in before baking. It is super moist! I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and frosted it with whatever brand of coconut pecan frosting I grabbed first. (Betty Crocker, I think?)
    Edit: because spelling is hard.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    @raelynnsmama52512 glad the evaluation went well and hope they find some programming to help her!

Can somebody please explain to me how it is that I can stop at the store, buy black beans, brownie mix, and ALL the ingredients for pistachio salad from memory... but can't remember to buy the toothpaste I've needed for the past couple of days? *bangs head*

(no, I'm not entirely without toothpaste, it just takes me 5 minutes to squeeze the dregs out of the tube)

And, for the record, black beans smell like cat food.

Ditto to @raelynnsmama52512!!!

And I love this whole post.

Ditto!

I've always thought that Refried Beans while tasty looks like dog food/cat food.

Oh definitely. I love them...but they look awful!

Try pureeing them. It took a great deal of faith in @peleroja to pour that purplish soup out of the blender into a nice bowl of brownie mix.

(They're dense brownies. I couldn't believe the weight of the Tupperware container when I went to put them in the fridge.)

How do they taste?

They're very nice... no evidence of any black bean flavour... quite a bit less sweet than they would have been made the regular way, which is an odd result considering the only ingredients omitted are eggs and oil.

Yeah, that is weird.....I wonder why that is.

Where are our professional baker ladies to explain the science behind this phenomenon?
    All.... some thoughts for page 1400 and all we have been through in these last 8? months....

These are 2 quotes that hang on my wall:

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter (fortune cookie fortune)

and

It's never too late to become what you might have been.

I like both of these and hang them on my wall as a reminder of how I personally want to approach my life.

Happy page 1400 folks. And have a great weekend (for those disappearing for the weekend already).

ETA: I totally messed up a sentence. So fixed...

Love it. :)

happy page 1400!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    So TMI alert but here's a thought (you've been warned).

As previously bemoaned, a lovely side effect of pregnancy is the slowing down of one's bowel and all the delightful consequences associated therewith.

While I finally managed to 'lighten my load' earlier today after a few days of stalling, it occurred to me that perhaps this is nature's way of readying the body for birth. I swear I had to do breathing exercises to get through it!

I feel better now...

As I don't have children and therefore have never given birth, this scares me :#

Aaah I didn't mean to put anyone off. Pregnancy has thus far not been too bad. I haven't puked once! Also now I'm at the stage where people officially know, I feel I can stick my gut out as far as I like (even if it is primarily due to too much lunch rather than baby). There are positives too!

I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

I'm just waiting for the clock to run out and hoping my health conditions mean early menopause!

Eeek. Be careful what you wish for...

My favourite quotation is from a fridge magnet... saw it, didn't buy it, regretted it, hunted high and low for it, ended up buying online.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    sssgilber wrote: »
    Slogging through W4D1 of C25K today, the thought that kept me going was, "Imagine how surprised your colleagues will be when they hear you dropped dead while running. They always thought you'd choke to death on donuts."

Omg. That totally made me laugh out loud.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Hey guys, we are about to hit 1400 pages!

Wow! We've been through a lot together. I can't believe we've kept this going since January and there's no signs of stopping any time soon.

I used "super great" in a sentence with a coworker this morning. Didn't even think twice about it, until after I said it. I smiled to myself thinking of you guys!

I used super great in an email to a coworker yesterday. :) She was letting me know her two kittens were finally getting along.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »

Wow, I can't believe you just said you wish you could draw better...I think that is amazing. :) I love it! You are talented.

I'm not sure how to get this comment out of the quote so I'll just bold it. haha
    Thank you, that's very kind!! :smiley: I enjoy drawing/doodling but I never really worked that hard at being good at it. If I were to try to draw The Joker from memory it would probably end up look ridiculous :lol:

Also... these black bean brownies are sounding so delicious. I usually buy black beans every week anyway because I find them useful to have around and I love them. I'm thinking brownies tonight! ... But that means buying more flour... which means I will probably make three pans of brownies in the next week. Oops.

You sound a bit like me. :) I'm not too awful at reproducing simple drawings if I have them right in front of me to copy, but otherwise I'm a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad artist. :p

They do, don't they? I want to make them too, but I know that it's a terrible idea... I don't have to worry too much, though--my husband won't let me get near any baking ingredients in the supermarket, as per my request to help me stay on target. :D
  • Susieq_1994
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @raelynnsmama52512 glad the evaluation went well and hope they find some programming to help her!

Can somebody please explain to me how it is that I can stop at the store, buy black beans, brownie mix, and ALL the ingredients for pistachio salad from memory... but can't remember to buy the toothpaste I've needed for the past couple of days? *bangs head*

(no, I'm not entirely without toothpaste, it just takes me 5 minutes to squeeze the dregs out of the tube)

And, for the record, black beans smell like cat food.

Ditto to @raelynnsmama52512!!!

And I love this whole post.

Ditto!

I've always thought that Refried Beans while tasty looks like dog food/cat food.

Oh definitely. I love them...but they look awful!

Try pureeing them. It took a great deal of faith in @peleroja to pour that purplish soup out of the blender into a nice bowl of brownie mix.

(They're dense brownies. I couldn't believe the weight of the Tupperware container when I went to put them in the fridge.)

How do they taste?

They're very nice... no evidence of any black bean flavour... quite a bit less sweet than they would have been made the regular way, which is an odd result considering the only ingredients omitted are eggs and oil.

Yeah, that is weird.....I wonder why that is.

While I'm not entirely sure, it seems to me that legumes in general are flavor vortexes. They suck in the taste of salt, spices, onions, garlic, EVERYTHING--and it's never seen or heard from again ;). Whenever I'm making a dish that contain beans of some sort, I have to use twice as much spice and salt as I'd use in any other dish. Maybe it's the fiber content? :-/

Editing to add: Also, fat. Fat increases the flavor in things, which I noticed when seasoning 95% lean beef vs 90%. The seasoning in the 90% was WAY more noticeable although I had used the same amount, and I had to cut it down a notch the next time I made that dish. So, it's possible that the lessened fat also muted the flavor? Cook/Baker Susie is very curious about this phenomenon...
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    yf67r57kah47.jpg
    Good choices were not made at lunch today. At least it has potassium. :/
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    I took today off, so nice! Mr. NY worked a half day and we had a great workout at the gym. We are now headed to my family's lake house with some of our friends for a nice relaxing weekend. I probably won't be on here too much, but I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. You are all super great!!!!

Have a great weekend!

I still have almost 4 hours left of this drudgery called "work"

I only have 2, and I am completely ignoring everything I should be doing. It can wait til Monday...
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

That's very true. I thought box mixes were idiot-proof, but every time either of my brothers attempted to make anything from them, the result was flat out nasty. No rise, tough as shoe-leather, absolutely weird tasting. I have NO IDEA what they do to them!