The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you choose not to believe the statistics, then you are free to do so.
    Please and thank you.

But not vocally, right?
    Feel free to disagree and say so, but don't try to claim you're "simply" asking questions, because you are not. At least be truthful about your intentions.
  • A_Patient_Wolf
    A_Patient_Wolf Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    That´s exactly what I did - quoted her and asked "what?".

My intentions are obvious - I disagree with the statement, and would have liked to discuss with her.

Thanks for your input though, it´s been lovely.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

I´m simply asking @Frankie_Felinius where I can see these statistics, please and thank you.

My intentions are obvious - I disagree with the statement, and would have liked to discuss with her.
    Hmmm...really?

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I´m simply asking @Frankie_Felinius where I can see these statistics, please and thank you.

Hmmm...really?

Very specific trolling.
    "I want to argue with THIS PERSON ONLY! EVERYONE ELSE OUT OF THREAD RAWR!"

:laugh:
  • jennifer_417
    Options

Hmmm...really?

Very specific trolling.
    "I want to argue with THIS PERSON ONLY! EVERYONE ELSE OUT OF THREAD RAWR!"

:D lol!
  • A_Patient_Wolf
    Options
    Let the name calling commence!

I want to discuss what a person said with the person who said it?! OMG TROLL
  • BodyByBex
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I google "rape statistics", I see equal articles claiming this figure, and discussing how this figure is at best fudged, misleading, and even simply false.

Rainn.org has an ample amount, but sexual assault is kind of their bread and butter and if numbers were lower, I can't be sure if they would post them happily. Then again, a lower number wouldn't be the number everyone would like to see, which I hope would be 0/6. It also goes into rape statistics for men.

https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

OR if you want something more direct based off of rapes that were reported you have the entire National Criminal Justice Reference Service(not the easiest to navigate).

https://www.ncjrs.gov/app/QA/Detail.aspx?Id=489&context=9

Which links you to several FBI tables where you can do all the math yourself(since I did your research for you):

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-16

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-17

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-18

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-19

Please note that it states those tables do not account for cleared charges or those for which someone was actually convicted.

The FBI reports and publications page also estimates that many rapes go unreported or are not reported until the statute of limitations has passed and the perpetrator can no longer be charged.

Here's a handy map for that:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/11/rape-statutes-of-limitation-maps-table

Don't worry, I got your back @Frankie_Felinius since your breakfast person probably didn't show up again today and you're busy doing real work. :wink:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    None of your pandering for the attention of @Frankie_Felinius diminishes the fact that as females, we are generally the 'weaker' sex(I felt dirty just saying it) and we are more easily taken advantage of if we are not aware of our surroundings and a bit more picky about who we choose to associate with.

Side note: Saying/knowing all of this really makes me wonder where I stand in the statistics since I've been raped twice in my adult life and am a survivor of child molestation as well.

• Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I'm just watching YouTube and you know it @lilaclovebird ;)
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I'm just watching YouTube and you know it @lilaclovebird ;)

But HE doesn't have to know that.... :wink:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    None of your pandering for the attention of @Frankie_Felinius diminishes the fact that as females, we are generally the 'weaker' sex(I felt dirty just saying it) and we are more easily taken advantage of if we are not aware of our surroundings and a bit more picky about who we choose to associate with.

Side note: Saying/knowing all of this really makes me wonder where I stand in the statistics since I've been raped twice in my adult life and am a survivor of child molestation as well.

THAT is exactly why what your date said was most inappropriate. He had no idea of your history and how saying something like that could affect you.
  • A_Patient_Wolf
    Options
    @lilaclovebird That´s actually really helpful. I have some reading to do. Thank you.
  • BodyByBex
    Options

THAT is exactly why what your date said was most inappropriate. He had no idea of your history and how saying something like that could affect you.

Honestly, regardless of history, I don't think he should be saying that to ANYONE...unless he is raping them.

I like to try and see the best in people, so I would hope that he wouldn't be doing that. But at the same time, I don't really know the guy and people are capable of anything.

• BodyByBex
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @lilaclovebird That´s actually really helpful. I have some reading to do. Thank you.

I work for a police department. I live to serve.

Though I really wish I lived to sleep. :grumble:

I washed my bed sheets before coming into work last night so they are going to be comfy as SMURF when I get home today. :blush:

ETA: @A_Patient_Wolf you might enjoy a book by Gavin de Becker called The Gift of Fear.
    It has some cool ideas in it.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Pretty sure you recommeded that to me, too. I should get on that...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,215 Member
    Options
    Aren't you in Montana @sufferlandrian? I'm watching a documentary on the YouTubes right now about the meth problem there. Didn't know it had meth problems but sheesh, does it! I live in IL (IA used to be #1 meth state) and I remember in my early 20s, I had to move back to my small town & a LOT of people in my age group did meth. Ugh. I remember this one guy I'd get high with (pot high, not meth high) asked me to go out on the porch when this dude was coming over in a few minutes. At least he was nice enough to alert me that they'd be puffin' lightbulbs and he knew I wasn't cool with that shizz. I had to quit being buds with him at that point. I did drugs in my teens/early 20s but I never touched meth...

We have the biggest meth problem on the reservations but it's still a problem elsewhere. "Medical" Marijuana is the drug of choice here in Montana.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,215 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    According to statistics, 1 in every 4-6 women will be raped in her lifetime.

I would love to see the data for this claim.

It was an article published in the NYtimes that said 20% of women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. One in Five women will be sexually assaulted. You can google it. It's easy to find. You would have to look at the references in the article to see how they came up with that number but it was based off some estimates that said if a certain number of women are reporting sexual assault, there are probably a bunch more that are embarrassed or afraid to report it.

The flip side of that is when a girl claims a guy assaulted her just to get back at him for not continuing a relationship or rejecting her and they find the guy not guilty, it makes it harder for women who really were assaulted to come forward because they know they will be ridiculed to try to discredit them. All it takes is a couple of liars to make it very hard for those who were really assaulted. It also makes it very hard on the guy because even though he was innocent, he will always have a charge of sexual assault on his record.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Way for someone to just kinda drop in and throw in their two cents. All to stir the pot I guess.

Bravo on looking up the stats @lilaclovebird
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Goooood morning!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Does anyone else every worry that in order to stay at goal weight they'll basically have to be hungry forever? I've been at this a really (I mean really) long time, and I still seem to constantly struggle with my appetite.