Obsessive/Unhealthy Dieting Relationship

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    https://www.probe.org/yoga-and-christianity-are-they-compatible/

Wow. People need to lighten the **** up.

This article has more abbreviated and out of context quotes than a Daily Mail "Famous Person's tit caught on camera" rag.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    brekober wrote: »
    @kshama2001 -- Reading my post again, I can see that I sounded a bit callus, like I don't care what my guests want/can't have, etc. That's really not the case.

Fortunately, the one thing that no one in my family has is a nut allergy. I know those can be severe, and if a guest did have such an allergy, yes, I would be mindful of that.

But I don't cook with that "no salt" salt substitute because my father-in-law watches his sodium intake. I don't make everything fat-free, sugar-free (taste free). Should I accommodate the whims of my sister-in-law, who is on a different diet craze every time I talk to her?

I serve a variety of foods. Maybe not everyone can eat everything, but there's something for everyone, know what I mean?

If we took into account every restriction of every person in our lives, we would just put a jug of water on the table and call it a day.

Then you should feel lucky you do t have to do any of that. I personally have taken my own food to family dinners because whatever is for family dinner is usually very calorie dense. No one ever gets upset that I do it. If anything they are supportive in me trying to better myself.

As for not cutting out sodium for your father in law that is another thing that not everyone can do. My father is on the transplant list and we ALL have no problem cutting out anything he isnt suppose to be eating. It's not an inconvieniece to eat tasteless food if it is for the health of a loved one.

But my point was that it's not necessary for EVERY DISH to be bland and tasteless. I have never had a person say, "There's not ONE THING I can eat on this table". And my family is outspoken. They would say it if it were true.

Like I said, maybe not everyone can eat everything, but there's something for everyone. No one goes hungry, don't worry. :wink:

And once you've read the rest of this thread, you'll see that we've moved WAY past this. All aboard the bus to Sillytown! :smiley:
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    I will bump this thread every hour to help op get all the attention she deserves.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Protranser wrote: »
    I will bump this thread every hour to help op get all the attention she deserves.

A noble sentiment. But are you familiar with the idiom, "Spitting into the wind"?
  • Protranser
    Protranser wrote: »

A noble sentiment. But are you familiar with the idiom, "Spitting into the wind"?

Nope! More bumps please ❤
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    ftsolk wrote: »
    I'm not sure how stretching will help, but I'll try stretching more. I can't get into the meditation aspect of yoga because that aspect of taking a yoga class conflicts with my religious beliefs.

So listen to monks or nuns chanting instead of other music. I've never felt yoga has been infused with a set, mandatory religious practice or set of beliefs. Or been indoctrinating me somehow. Same thing with meditation. The breathing and meditation increases and deepens my spiritual connection, which is directed by me, according to my religion.

The Sanskrit names for the poses was just another fitness language, like learning French for ballet.

To be honest, I've never understood why people protest yoga on religious grounds. Yoga is what you make of it, or don't.
  • Protranser
    I wonder if op is a Westboro Baptist. Perhaps this explains the Orthodoxy!
  • Psychgrrl

I cannot afford medical treatment at this time, so unless you are willing to pay for it, stop suggesting that. It's not an option. I did chat with someone at the NEDA website. She told me to take the online screening that told me I wasn't at risk for disordered eating.

If it's not covered by your health insurance, your county health services offer it at a rate based on your income. If you don't have health insurance, you can sign up for the ACA through your state or the gov't exchange. It's less expensive than paying the penalty for not having health insurance. Mental health is covered is every plan I've seen under the ACA. And I have seen employer provided benefits without mental health in recent years either.
  • Psychgrrl

This article has more abbreviated and out of context quotes than a Daily Mail "Famous Person's tit caught on camera" rag.

This. This is why you're awesome! :blush:

• MelanieBruce1
    MelanieBruce1 Posts: 20 Member
    There is nothing at all wrong with you! I can completely relate. Sometimes you have to let yourself give in to an unhealthy option, but you CAN still stay in control. Once you know this you will be fine. Pick the best options from what is in front of you and try to stay within your calories for a meal - and instead of feeling guilty feel gratitude! You CAN do it, WILL do it and definitely celebrate when you DO do it! And Tell that guilt to hit the road - its a killer!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    bdt0831 wrote: »
    Right there with you honey. That's why I am in therapy. I am scared of food. I will not go to social gatherings because if there is food it's just to much for me to deal with. I get anxiety over it. I cancel on social gatherings and say I am sick so I don't have to go and not eat what they have. I count every calorie. Log every bite. Exercise 5-6 days a week for 90 min or more. I have anxiety and guilt over everything I eat. So I am seeing a therapist. This is NO WAY TO LIVE.

Good for you for getting help :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I joined WW when I was employed, and I'm currently on a 2 month free pass for losing 10 pounds in October and November. That's the only reason I am still on WW. Because I'm getting free meetings now.

I'm just feeling burnt out from measuring and tracking.

Since you're unemployed, don't you qualify for a state insurance program? I see you're in New Jersey, which probably isn't too different from my state of Massachusetts. I have a friend with Mass Health who gets free therapy.

Maybe someone from NJ can advise you better.

I'm from nj and can offer a complete list of free and sliding scale mental health help. My neighbor actually works at one of the largest low income mental health centers in this state. Even if they can't help, they will refer and set the appt of a place that can .
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    The list of free mental health services in nj is so long that I couldn't even begin to list it.
    Op - Google these key words - FREE mental health help NJ. They have a state website set up to get you a referred within 24 hrs to free help.

End thread...

@ftsolk wanted to make sure you saw this ^
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    edited February 2016

#NotRocketScience[/quote]

You chose a weight loss plan that creates a calorie deficit through assigning certain foods a point value and then limiting the number of points. If you want a different way to create a calorie deficit, those are available -- ways of eating that would allow you to have milk or avocado more regularly.

Weight Watchers isn't something that *happened* to you. You chose it. [/quote]

OMGOSH! THIS!!!! GET OFF WW!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I'm not sure how stretching will help, but I'll try stretching more. I can't get into the meditation aspect of yoga because that aspect of taking a yoga class conflicts with my religious beliefs.

So listen to monks or nuns chanting instead of other music. I've never felt yoga has been infused with a set, mandatory religious practice or set of beliefs. Or been indoctrinating me somehow. Same thing with meditation. The breathing and meditation increases and deepens my spiritual connection, which is directed by me, according to my religion.

The Sanskrit names for the poses was just another fitness language, like learning French for ballet.

To be honest, I've never understood why people protest yoga on religious grounds. Yoga is what you make of it, or don't.

Don't you know that the Hinduism is contagious?

What if Lissa were to be reincarnated as something that she is not allowed to eat after 9:00, or sometimes 8:00, in the evening?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

:laugh: :heart:
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member

#NotRocketScience

You chose a weight loss plan that creates a calorie deficit through assigning certain foods a point value and then limiting the number of points. If you want a different way to create a calorie deficit, those are available -- ways of eating that would allow you to have milk or avocado more regularly.

Weight Watchers isn't something that *happened* to you. You chose it. [/quote]

OMGOSH! THIS!!!! GET OFF WW! [/quote]

And, as I'm sure I've said before, WW was working for me for quite a while, but after measuring and tracking everything I ate (save for fruits and vegetables because those are 0 points), I got so sick and tired of tracking that I shut down, and now I'm having a hard time staying motivated. I've tried easing myself back into it with smaller changes like drinking water and eating fruits and vegetables. I plan on going on a 100 day fast from frozen dairy desserts (ice cream and frappuccinos mainly) as those are my biggest weaknesses. (My main rule is that I can indulge in my "fast" foods on special occasions. So, if a friend invites me out for ice cream, then I can have something there, etc. More often than not, when I try these kinds of fasts, even when I'm in a situation where I can have the food I'm avoiding, I usually end up skipping it. Of course, I've never done 100 days before. Last time, it was just 30 days or so.

I've also been experimenting with intermittent fasting on a whim. I've been aiming for a 14/10 fast, but in actuality, it's been ranging between 15 and 18 hours of fasting. Today, I broke my fast about 2 hours early, but I'm not overly concerned.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I like how everything else about taking care of your mental health (which is just as important as physical) was totally ignored. Can't say I'm surprised , though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Part of WW plan is that you'll eat more produce and drink more water, due to being tired of tracking point-laden stuff.

I have never had a frappuccino. I would think given their cost and calories it'd be an easy thing to give up. I bet a lot of people would say that about beer, though, which I do splurge on.

100 days off your weakness foods sounds too "all or nothing". I think it'd be more likely to succeed to sub in lowfat frozen yogurt and allow yourself a few a week instead.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

#NotRocketScience

Weight Watchers isn't something that *happened* to you. You chose it.

OMGOSH! THIS!!!! GET OFF WW! [/quote]

And, as I'm sure I've said before, WW was working for me for quite a while, but after measuring and tracking everything I ate (save for fruits and vegetables because those are 0 points), I got so sick and tired of tracking that I shut down, and now I'm having a hard time staying motivated. I've tried easing myself back into it with smaller changes like drinking water and eating fruits and vegetables. I plan on going on a 100 day fast from frozen dairy desserts (ice cream and frappuccinos mainly) as those are my biggest weaknesses. (My main rule is that I can indulge in my "fast" foods on special occasions. So, if a friend invites me out for ice cream, then I can have something there, etc. More often than not, when I try these kinds of fasts, even when I'm in a situation where I can have the food I'm avoiding, I usually end up skipping it. Of course, I've never done 100 days before. Last time, it was just 30 days or so.

I've also been experimenting with intermittent fasting on a whim. I've been aiming for a 14/10 fast, but in actuality, it's been ranging between 15 and 18 hours of fasting. Today, I broke my fast about 2 hours early, but I'm not overly concerned. [/quote]

More arbitrary rules, special exceptions, and reasons why something won't work for you.

Eat more fruits and vegetables and drink more water. Great. Do that.
    Why a special 100 day fast on frozen dairy desserts except for random arbitrary times when someone else is inviting you? If you have room in your calories for the day - eat the ice cream or drink the frappucino. Or don't. It doesn't matter. You don't need special rules about having something if it is on a day that ends in Y and the moon is in waning mode and someone else is paying for it or if there are three other people there but not two other people there.

Here are the rules you need again...

Buy Food
    Cook Food
    Log Food
    Eat Food

It is that simple. JFDI.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2016
    Edit.