WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• Igilchrist
    Igilchrist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DJ - i wanted to thank you for your suggestions. sorry for the late response DH and I are making some financial decisions about our 2 companies, our business succession. So many things are into place as we have 5 sons but only 3 of them work with us presently.
    Also attempting to reorganize years of paperwork to prepare for our Wealth Planning advisors, etc. etc. My husband is trying to retire heaven forbide, I'm retired from one of our companies but I've just found out I'll become President of a new Corporation - stress overload. Yikes!! On top of taking on the President's responsibilities for our current 2nd company which is Investment in First and and Second Mortgages. I'm freaking out as I don't understand the procedures of it all.
    4th week of filling my diary daily is taken so much work than I could possibly imagine!! Thank you so much for encouraging me to take baby steps:)
    Plus I've been trying to use reminders to change from one hat to another so that nothings gets left behind. 4 areas that are needed in my life, I'm struggling with them all.

Everyone please call me Irene.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Charo How cute are you? Carol thanks for sharing!

:heart: Margaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie. Been trying to get myself in line. I feel like I've been struggling since the first of the year.

I also am a night person. After supper snacking is a big problem for me. During the day is good and then I can completely blow it between 9:00 and midnight. Still working on how to get a handle on that.

Some people don't know how lucky they are. I met a gal that told me her weight has always has stayed within ten pounds her entire life and she has never dieted. I just smiled because if you're all thinking what I was thinking... Well, it wasn't worth the jail time.

Kat in Illinois

Kat this is exactly what I do. I have now scheduled a Pure Protein bar for that time there are several flavors and they are a real treat to me now. I also will drink a cup of camomile tea which helps fill me up and also makes me sleepy so then I go to bed around midnight or 1:00. I have problems sleeping but I have gradually worked it up from 4 to about 5 1/2 hours per night, hoping to get to 6 or 6 1/2 eventually.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Charo How cute are you? Carol thanks for sharing!

:heart: Margaret

Charro is my fur baby, Carol asked to see a pic of her face. But thanks so much, she's a bit spoiled lol

Janetr OKC
  • kat02092015
    kat02092015 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Thanks Barbie. Been trying to get myself in line. I feel like I've been struggling since the first of the year.

I also am a night person. After supper snacking is a big problem for me. During the day is good and then I can completely blow it between 9:00 and midnight. Still working on how to get a handle on that.

Some people don't know how lucky they are. I met a gal that told me her weight has always has stayed within ten pounds her entire life and she has never dieted. I just smiled because if you're all thinking what I was thinking... Well, it wasn't worth the jail time.

Kat in Illinois

Kat this is exactly what I do. I have now scheduled a Pure Protein bar for that time there are several flavors and they are a real treat to me now. I also will drink a cup of camomile tea which helps fill me up and also makes me sleepy so then I go to bed around midnight or 1:00. I have problems sleeping but I have gradually worked it up from 4 to about 5 1/2 hours per night, hoping to get to 6 or 6 1/2 eventually.

Janetr OKC

Is Pure a brand name? I have tried so many different protein bars and haven't liked many. Most of the time I'd rather eat the wrapper than the bar. The ones I do like seem to be high in sugar. What flavors do you find taste the best?

Kat in Illinois
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Ladies, for the warm welcome!

You can call me Re... (like Do Re Mi)

I live in Allen TX - and I have been fat literally all my life - so I have a pretty realistic goals about losing weight. My career as a swimsuit model never went anywhere (*sigh*) so I really just want to be healthy and relatively pain-free as I age. I have heard from my parents - still chugging along in their 80's - that Aging ain't for Sissies... and I am beginning to believe them. :p

If I had lived a different life, I would be a curvy girl rather than a lumpy one... so maybe I can be a Silver Fox some day - but that is not my goal. I am really just all about being healthy and whole.

My Husband (DH?) broke his ankle last fall - and they put one of those things that looks like a giant TV antennae on his foot to stabilize the bones while it healed. Because he is also a "robust" individual, and for several reasons has not been very active over the last few years, they put him in a residential physical rehab place for a few weeks after he came out of the hospital so he could build up his strength to the point where he could haul himself in and out of the wheelchair on his own.

While visiting him in the Therapy room, I saw a woman in a wheelchair... she had a belly - the flabby saggy kind, very much like mine - but hers was larger - it reached all the way to her knee and was in danger of hanging over. She was quite a bit older than me - and I could totally see my future, if I didn't get my health under control. That was one of the major factors in my recent decision to get back on the diet trail. I am not sure what horrified me more... the idea of the huge (or hugER) saggy belly, or the idea of the chair - but I decided I was never going to go there.... so when he returned home, and got round to starting his outpatient physical therapy - several months later - I used the hour to go huff at my local gym.

I started with five minutes on the elliptical... years prior, I had been able to do 45 minutes at a go - but that first day, five was my limit. My heart-rate went nuts! But, I finished off with a nice walk on the treadmill and vowed to come back... which I have been doing since the end of March.

I know I can lose more weight... although I expect it will get more difficult as I get closer to a realistic "goal" weight. Truly, I am not motivated to WEIGH less, so much as to be thinner. I would love to be able to shop in the regular clothing stores - and get in on the great sales and such. If I can get down to a size 12, I will be happy.

Thanks, also, to those that helped with the bookmark thing... It took me quite a few moments to figure out that I should be clicking NOT on the star at the top of the page - but on the faint outline of the star that is above the page numbers at the top of the page... but, now, I will be able to find this post and a few others more easily... so thanks to everyone and I hope you all have a fantastic day!

Re in TX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    edited June 2016
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Kat in Illinois

Janetr OKC

Is Pure a brand name? I have tried so many different protein bars and haven't liked many. Most of the time I'd rather eat the wrapper than the bar. The ones I do like seem to be high in sugar. What flavors do you find taste the best?

Kat in Illinois

Pure Protein Bars is the brand name, some places (Walmart) they come individually if you just want to try one or two at first or you can buy them in a box of five. You'll find them in the Pharmacy Section at Walmart, Target or grocery stores. Usually around the protein shakes and powdered protein, etc. I do have to say I'm not at ALL a picky eater and have come to enjoy them, there is a Salted Caramel that I like, also Chocolate Deluxe and Dark Chocolate Coconut.

Janetr OKC
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Charro is a cutie as is all the furry friends I've seen pics of recently!
    Penny Looking forward to more shots of you Heather & Longyearbyen
    Concerned about Becca's DH since we haven't heard from her...procedure done Thursday & she usually post frequently

Rainy here, thank heavens, so I'm ironing today...pillow cases, tea towels etc that I love to pray w/lavender water & haven't done in quite awhile!

GLo on the North Shore of Ma
  • kat02092015
    kat02092015 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks Glo, I'll give then a try!
    Oops... Remember I'm a newbie... Thanks janetr!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    Spin- 92.05min, 96ar, 58aw, 116ahr, 156mhr, 6-10g, 20mi = 645c
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    m1277.gif Re, you have come to the right place....keep coming back and you'll meet the women who have lost over 100 pounds and kept it off. I haven't lost that much but I lost the weight that I had been fighting with for decades. One thing that helped me was to stop using food for recreation and use it instead for health.

:)Kat, I love Isagenix bars but they're not available in stores so they are trickier to get....whatever you choose, it's a good idea to plan a snack for that long period between supper and bedtime.

:)janetr,Charro is darling....I thought the whole reason to have a dog is to spoil it...just ask Brandy and Sasha

<3 Barbie from NW Washington

• janetr7476
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks Glo, I'll give then a try!
    Oops... Remember I'm a newbie... Thanks janetr!

Let me know how you like them. It's worth a try :)

I just thot of something I used to and I'm going to the store and get some, with the hot weather we're having it will be great treat; a sugar free fudgecicle scraped off the stick into a small bowl (40 cal.) and topped with two tablespoons of Fat Free Cool Whip (15 cal.) Makes a greay substitute for ice cream.

Janetr okc
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies ((((hugs)))) It's 1 PM on Saturday, just got home from driving from OHSU all by myself. To all that don't know, I rec'd my license when I was 51 yrs old, so driving alone about 2 hrs was kind of scary for me.

Thursday- Husband went in at about 12:00 noon for an ERCP which is an endoscopic look at the common bile duct, direct a wire to it and put a stent to try to make the stone (which really isn't a stone more like a dough ball) break up. So they tried to get the wire through the duct and could not. So they let him stay overnight, to try again on Friday. I was able to get a stretcher and sleep there too.

Friday- What the doctors decided to make happen is to have the liver transplant doctors do what is called a rendezvous surgery technique. They do there work from the liver to the bile duct, while the other surgeons go thru the mouth endoscopicly. Well about noon they did that, but the liver transplant surgeons said there was a lot of scar tissue, and so they actually nicked the bile duct with their wire. The other surgeons never did their part, they just stopped it. We never was talked to about that nick either, amazingly enough. So presently he has a drain tube from the bile duct to drain in a bag. They are hoping that it will relieve some pressure. Also to give the duct a rest... No pain except from the wound from the drain tube, which is up by his right side by his ribs. He was FINALLY able to eat at about 5 PM yesterday, after not eating anything all day. He was HANGERY.. (hungry + angry).
    The liver surgeons told us this morning, that they will try to do the rendezvous procedure on Monday (or Tuesday). So I drove home to pay attention to teenager, eat warm food, take a shower, and have a good rest. I will call husband periodically over the weekend, and most likely drive back on Monday morning.

Oh and to add to the hectic-ness of this morning, I went to get the car on P4 of the park garage, and was met after I got off the elevator, with plastic sheeting covering everything. I looked around and asked the worker guys where is my car??? They said all the cars were towed. Eeek....mini stress attack... The guy said they were put somewhere else in the parking garage. So I started at the bottom and worked my way up, glancing and not seeing my car. It wasn't until P1 when I saw it. I will look at her closely today to see if there are any scratches, and underneath. I did not need that when I was starting my drive!!!

Worst case scenario is that they have to open him up to correct this. I just hope that this weekend corrects some of the issues they are having. As they put it yesterday, it was hard to get the wire "over the bridge" and where they were trying to get to. The bridge being the place where they connected his bile duct to the new liver.

I am going to take son out somewhere and eat something that will make me sleep soundly... I ate fairly well, a couple of turkey sandwiches, some coffee latte's, a spinach/mushroom omelet, and a great salad that I made from OHSU 's salad bar. It had quinoa, edamame, pasta, spinach, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, cheddar cheese, cucumbers, with zesty Italian packet. I also had some citrus water and whole milk. The citrus water came in a mason jar, with lemon, lime, and orange slices in it. No sugar, so it was awful, but I won't get scurvy or anything!!

((((hugs))))) thank you for your positive thoughts, and prayers.
    We shall get thru this!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Becca, I am so glad to hear from you! It sounds like you've had quite a time of it. I'll keep your DH in my prayers, and you, too. I hope you're able to get some rest. :heart:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Welcome newbies!

Gloria – thanks for getting ahold of Becca for us.

Lisa – knowing you if he gets the other job, you’ll find some way to fund the remodel from some yet unimagined place.

Heather – wow, you and penny packed in a day! I guess I had not asked if you were there just one day – seems too short a time.

KJ – sounds like a great weekend…

Debbie – did you pick the 15,000 calories or did MFP with your height and current weight? And are you drinking enough water? I do think the doctor visit is a great idea. You could be low iron.

Heather and Penny – great pictures!!! So fun

Kat in Ill – we all approach this differently, but maybe you should just set aside calories for a snack between dinner and midnight. Like Barbie and probably many others I started by just getting the calories in line – mostly by portion control – I still do that and eat a wide variety of things and love to cook; but I also have found substitutions that give me the flavor I want but with less calories… A simple example is finding a new BBQ sauce the one I was eating was 160 calories for 2 tablespoons, the current one is 30….

Irene – you can do this, just baby steps and no beating yourself up if you don’t always get it “right” trying and getting used to it, and not giving up is critical. I do my logging on my smart phone I find it quicker – but the community and recipe builder on my laptop.

Re – glad you got motivated, for what it is worth, I try (not always successfully) to think of this as a new lifestyle not a diet…. As I know, for me, I will not be able to go back to my old ways – this new lifestyle is the rest of my life.

Becca – WOW - it sounds like they are doing all the things they should – this must be scary for you and DS – does he drive? Maybe the two of you could go see DH over the weekend? – How annoying to have your car randomly moved!!!!

Well spent this morning working in the garden of Eden which is a co-sponsored garden between a local church and my garden club all the food grown there is donated to 3 local food banks- and there are huge quantities of food sent off. Right now it is berries and loquats all organic and most heirloom varieties – I think it is pretty neat, but wonder if folks who are clients at the food bank know what a loquat is or how to fix/eat it. But there are tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, peaches,…. Coming --- I love the feeling of giving back and working with some really nice people.

I got home to a note from the city that I am in violation of 3 city ordinances and have 5 days to fix it… it is because my lavender is hanging over on the sidewalk – and I have a couple of tree limbs that are too low… I went and measured 7 feet 3 inches – they can not be lower than 8 feet. I can fix this, but the tree and that limb have been right there for 23 years. They even sent me pictures… I am mostly annoyed that my tax dollars are going to this silliness. Oh well – deep breath – what is Barbie’s word? Alacrity -I need to find my alacrity!

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with Vickie, volunteering at Eden garden
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • lesliefriesen7
    lesliefriesen7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Lee, I am 54 years old, I live in CA and I have an initial weight loss goal of 25 pounds. I just joined MFP and am excited to find this group! I have a quick question: I thought there was a way in MFP to add to your food diary by searching for a food, brand or restaurant, etc and it would populate the content into your food diary, but I am not seeing how to do that. For instance, I could search for eggs and it would giving me serving size and cooking options. So I could enter 2 and poached, and then it would fill in the calories and nutritional breakdown into my diary. Is that not possible with MFP? It looks like I have to find out all of that info myself and then manually type it in. Help?

Thanks ahead of time. Wishing you all a lovely day!

Lee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lee: Welcome to a great group. I looked through my recent diary and found that when I entered a particular flavor of Papa Murphy's pizza all the nutrition information was entered with it automatically. My advice is to try and see what you get. Some places may be in the database and others may not. :smiley:
  • lesliefriesen7
    lesliefriesen7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    NVM, I figured it out! I was missing the search field. We are good to go.

Thanks again!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca thinking of you and your family. You are one tough (low-calorie) cookie :p ! I think you did great with car and the eating and the taking care of everyone. So take care of yourself, deep breath NYKAREN