WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pip- <3 Happy Anniversary <3 Have Fun Celebrating!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mary
    My grocery store does have an orange cake mix but not the pudding...however, you could make it with orange jello although the texture would be spongier but interesting. My thought was orange cake mix, vanilla pudding, and white chocolate chips.

njhtujnj50gi.jpg

If you made it with orange cake you could also use chocolate pudding &/or chocolate chips for a Medici style cake. You could also add a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee to any of the chocolate containing versions...the only limit is your imagination.

Hi Melanie & Freida

Karen in Virginia
  • hermosacita
    hermosacita Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like to join your group to get and give support on my weight lose journey.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Karen - Jazzercise must have changed a bit since my day! There used to be a very popular dance troupe called Pam's People. I used to turn up at the class in a shiny deep pink leotard, pale pink shiny leggings and pink legwarmers. :D One day a resting actor dropped in to get a bit of practice. He tried for a bit then he said, "I didn't know I was going to be with Pam's People!" Those were the days!

I'm making my Allbran loaf, which DH likes in the afternoon, spread with butter, but it is very low fat and not a lot of sugar if you use half a cup. I haven't calculated the calories, but a small slice without butter wouldn't be much. I don't eat it generally.A lot of people like it, including children. I am posting a photo of the original cutting from a newspaper as I absolutely LOVE the story behind it. Plus it's in cups! I hope you can read it, maybe by clicking on the pic.

tx6hecmxrn85.jpg

Love to all, Heather UK
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Mary
    My grocery store does have an orange cake mix but not the pudding...however, you could make it with orange jello although the texture would be spongier but interesting. My thought was orange cake mix, vanilla pudding, and white chocolate chips.

njhtujnj50gi.jpg

If you made it with orange cake you could also use chocolate pudding &/or chocolate chips for a Medici style cake. You could also add a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee to any of the chocolate containing versions...the only limit is your imagination.

Hi Melanie & Freida

Karen in Virginia

Your killing me with these!!!!!

Just sayin I haven't bought a cake mix in a bagillion years and I am quite tempted to peruse that aisle!

Cheri
    In Fairlawn, oHIo with a FOR SALE sign in her yard - YEEHAW!
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OK I'll stop, sorry, I am taking my successful experiment to my workplace after Jazzercise so they won't be in the house. Step away from the cake aisle.

@hermosacita Hi! what do you want us to call you?

Karen in Virginia
  • freidaws
    freidaws Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen. On a break and thought I'd check in. I'm on a low carb diet and oh that orange cake sounds wonderful; I'd eat box and all. Having said that the Jazzercise would probably cancel out the cake....and the hospital would put me on a heart healthy diet! My official weigh day is Sunday mornings. I'm on the scale with my husband and 3 little dogs gathered round for results in anticipation to celebrate or commiserate. But, this morning I bravely stepped up for a sneak peak and if the weight holds true till Sunday I will lose weight this week! I'm excited and determined to stay within my carb and calorie goals. Last week I lost .6 pounds. Not even 1/2 pound, but looking positively, I lost and didn't gain! You are a wonderful group! Later ladies!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Mary

Hi Melanie & Freida

Karen in Virginia

That looks delicious! You made muffins, can you make it as a cake?

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts

Squats-1X5X 45/55/65/75,5X5X 80
    OHP -1X5X 45/50/55, 5X5X 50
    DL- 1X5X 135

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-17X10 X 30

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • prbford64
    prbford64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have gotten in about 2K steps already this morning, doing nothing but some off-leash training with my dog, Dooley. At this rate, he's going to have in down in a day or two. Haha! I hope everyone has a great day! Welcome to the new ladies who have joined in...I'm still new here too, but it's a really friendly group of ladies.

On tap for the afternoon:
    More off-leash training with Dooley
    Checking the garden and watering, thinning, and general maintenance
    Short Kettlebell workout with knee brace on

Here's Dooley and Peanut helping me check out the garden...such good helpers!

jh2wyo4wgy6c.jpg
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Karen in Virginia – I think I need to get an adult sized bib – As soon as I spill something or more often drop something on my clothes I use any kind of ‘white’ dish detergent or foam hand soap and rub it into the spot … if I have some Resolved – I will spray it, too (if at home). And then immediately wash it; usually it comes out. I’m horrible with wearing white. Seems like things literally jump off the plate and into my lap, ruining a perfectly good outfit. But, I love the look of a white shirt or T-shirt with a pair of jeans. I try to watch what I eat when I have white on, no spaghetti sauce, nothing with greasy dressing. And especially not over-use of mustard … that is impossible to get out of clothes.

Pip and KirbyHAPPY ANNIVERSARY! For DH, 3rd time was the ‘charm’. In August we will have been married 44 years. I fell ‘in love’ with his voice before I even looked up at him from what I was doing. Was definitely ‘hit by that ton of bricks’ moment when I did. Cute story about our meeting; but, too long.

Miriam - Both my husband and I are entitled to SSI and/or SSD because all during our working period in our life, we paid the requisite taxes and had enough work quarter hours. I'm positive that we aren't going to jail; as I am sure if we were not entitled to receive this, our financial advisor and (especially) my BF, who used to be a former IRS agent, and does our taxes each year, would have told us so. Husband's paint income as well as our SSI and SSD is reported on our 'income taxes'; but, only his paint income is 'taxed'. If I sell one of my painting, it is run through his business and reported that way even 'if' I am paid 'in cash'. Here, SSI and SSD are the only terns that are referred to. No subcategories - only if 'children' receiving benefits for whatever reason (death of parent) or for some disability they have. But, I am not going to argue with anyone about this, end of discussion.

I bought some fruit yesterday at the grocery store, looked way too good not to buy and at the front of store. Will have 3 different berries today; blackberries, blue berries, and strawberries. I've pre-tracked my calories for the day and have only gone over my one. Yippee! I'm now less dependent on the protein shakes because I am learning how to eat healthily. Then, this afternoon, will go get in the pool. Missed it yesterday - just was not in the mood for some reason.

A friend sent me pictures of things to do on one's "Bucket List". I know of about 15 things that are NOT on my bucket list. I wonder how many of the people had mother's drop dead when they came in and told her they were planning on working on their "EXTREME Bucket List". My DYS was my adventurous child; but, I don't think he would do any of the things shown in these pictures. But DDnL#2 and DGD#4 have been able to get him to do things that he'd never do otherwise. Getting up on a table with DGD#4 and dancing! He loved zip lining and has put one up for DGD#4 when they got home.

Seems like I have been praying such selfish prayers and probably will continue doing so; but, also saying 'in God's Will' ... . I want so badly for my DDnL#2 to be able to get pregnant and carry a baby to term; because that is what SHE wants, too. They've tried 'everything'; unfortunately the last test they did showed that her Fallopian tubes are completely blocked; and, now it looks like in vitro fertilization is the last resort. Taking a break at this moment to recoup before they have to start with all the medications she will have to take (shots). But, like she told DYS, she'd always wonder 'if it might could have worked' if she does not try it. I know I'd feel the same way. After a complicated pregnancy that ended in a bad way; I wasn't sure if I'd be able to have babies and was 'having' to wait a year before trying. When I was successful in getting pregnant, I was like a "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" ... I know she will feel the same. She's gone back to the gym to work at a 'healthy way to exert some angry energy'. It's going to be 'expensive'; but, at least they can afford it. My niece who had it done with her first baby said they also needed to check with their insurance company to see what, if anything, they'd pay for this procedure. When she had it done, they paid 100% of the procedure as well as the shots she had to take.

Lenora
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I discovered who has been eating all my spinach growing in my veggie garden. A bunny has found a hole in the fencing and has been sneaking in to eat my lovely veggies. Put up the fence 4 years ago and not had a problem until this year.

I will play Elmer Fudd this morning and re-fence 40 feet of fencing to keep the scamp out. Then I have replanting of veggies to do before the heat gets too much. Hope that spinach was tasty because that is the last his is going to get from me.

Charleen in Colorado (I'm gonna catch me a rabbit...) >:)
  • mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello !
    I'm back from vacation and ready to get back on track with diet and exercise. I gained 3.5 pounds while we were gone. Not too bad, but I want to get back on track and not regress to my old habits.

We had a wonderful time on vacation. bil's wedding was beautiful and it was fun to catch up with dh's cousins and other relatives. We camped and hiked and went sight-seeing. My favorite type of vacation.

I'm stressing a bit - we've been renting since we moved to Colorado 3 years ago. Our lease is up at the end of July and the homeowner has decided to put the house on the market. dh just put in for a transfer back to MN (where we still own a home), so we don't want to start looking for a new place here, but I am starting to freak at the idea of packing and moving. Am I packing for a move across town, or a move across country? Add in that now I have to keep this rental house show-ready and I just want to run away screaming.

It's HOT here. Triple digit temps most days lately and for the foreseeable future. It's amazing how many people are out exercising or doing yard work at 6am. Even roofing crews are starting at 6 to try and get done before the afternoon high temps. dh and I have been getting up at 5:30 so we can get our3.5 mile walk completed before 7.

19 yo ds moved out yesterday. He will be sharing a house with 2 other college students. I've met the boys and they are good kids, but I think three 19 year old boys living together would cause any mother a bit of concern.

21 yo dd loves her new (post-college) job. It's so exciting to hear her go on about all the things she's learning and the people she's meeting.

All in all, life is good. I need to stop stressing and focus on my blessings.

Barb in western Colorado
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: You have a fancier keyboard than I do. I love your symbols! HAPPY 14TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY! :heart: :heart: :heart:

hermosacita: Welcome to a great group!

Yoga today! After that we're going to drive out to a place that boards animals and see if we'd rather have our dog there or with the vet when we travel in July. He's been at the vet's while we travelled before and is always healthy and happy to see us, but there he would be confined in a relatively small cage and let out to stretch his legs and go potty several times a day.

Thanks to Joyce's helpful comments, I googled mobility rentals in the DC area and got lots of good possibilities. When DH gets up I'll show him what I found. He wants to have the use of the device in airports, so maybe we can look into it for Portland, too.

Have a great day, everyone.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    mrspaws91 wrote: »
    I'm stressing a bit - we've been renting since we moved to Colorado 3 years ago. Our lease is up at the end of July and the homeowner has decided to put the house on the market. dh just put in for a transfer back to MN (where we still own a home), so we don't want to start looking for a new place here, but I am starting to freak at the idea of packing and moving. Am I packing for a move across town, or a move across country? Add in that now I have to keep this rental house show-ready and I just want to run away screaming.
    Barb in western Colorado

Glad you had an enjoyable and relaxing vacation. I can sympathize with you regarding the move and packing. Our house went on the market yesterday here in Ohio and we are planning a move to Texas. The thing is am I packing for storage because we will be renting or am I packing for a home. We are traveling down to College Station on Saturday through Wednesday to do a housing search. It is nerve racking to the point I have lost my appetite. Which could be a good thing but the wrong way to lose weight! Keeping the house show ready is a steady stream of stress as you never know when you will get a call about a showing and how long you'll get to set the house straight. I did this alone when we moved here 3 years ago so at least this time around my hubs can help as he is with me till he starts work. Exciting times in both our lives but exciting brings its own type of stress! I'm on the journey with you. Keep us posted!

Cheri
    in cloudy NE oHIo watching the celebration in Cleveland on TV (the best viewing place IMO)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thx for all the happy anni's.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I spent the day cleaning like a mad woman. I had misplaced my Garmin watch and didn't want to have to rely on my phone and Runkeeper for my mileage so I tore the house apart and then put it back together neatly. I found the watch after several hours. HOW it got to where it was I have no idea. I am thinking I have a gecko that likes to hide things. At least it wasn't in the freezer which is where I found my wallet last time I lost it...

Last week diving I "earned" a new certification. Actually it was an award that the trip leader had worked up. He had several categories that he handed out certificates (actually they are printed and look like dive certification cards so they fit right with my c-cards). I got the Dr. Seuss Diver award. They said I told the best stories. I said I didn't tell stories, I just related life... they were are real things I talked about. Even though they weren't all dive related stories they voted me the best story teller. I guess I kept them laughing. There were also awards for the most dives (31 in 6 days), the most night dives, the most casual diver (only did 2 dives the whole week), the graceful swan diver (most outrageous water entry).... Just a fun way to end the trip while sitting in the airport waiting to come home.
    2z40srakgqjm.jpg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    just checked, so far (month ain't over yet)

total 471.4miles

actual biking - 245.4miles
    spinning on spin bike or in spin class- 226miles

:0) B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    oh and I'm still in 2nd place for female's in WA state, IF the first place female doesn't ride anymore which I doubt, I may beat her. she has 495miles. she does long rides as opposed to me riding every day. I have 71 rides so far, she only has 8, so that gives u an idea. I'm in 7th place overall and she's in 6th place. we are 1 an 2 for females. this is miles ridden, not money raised.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mary The recipe was originally for a 9x13 pan. Michele had trouble when she tried to turn out the whole pan, so I tried making them in the muffin pans and they came out fine. I would just make the 9x13 pan and cut them into squares in the pan, myself. The pan probably will take 20minutes, the muffins took about 15.