WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Mary
    My grocery store does have an orange cake mix ....

njhtujnj50gi.jpg

Karen in Virginia

Oh, Karen, this brings back memories of my Kroger meltdown. You weren't here, then, but some may remember my story. I was going to use this cake mix at Christmas to make my Aunt Sis's Orange coconut cake in memory of her because she had died in September. Kroger did not have it, I looked and looked. The more I looked, the harder I cried. My DH, who had wandered off, came back to the cake aisle to find me bawling. It was so embarrassing.

And then my fit was for nothing - the other grocery store in town had a gazillion of them.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DrKatie :'( sorry you lost your Aunt Sis. I would ask for the recipe but I don't want to tempt anyone. Can you PM me with it? I would love to have it in honor of your beloved aunt.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Barb - I agree with you about 19-year-old boys! Just think how I feel that my 19-year-old son is the director, aka "adult in charge," for a summer program! :astonished:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,606 Member
    Options
    "
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    Charleen know how you feel. A rabbit go all but two of my pea plants. I fixed the fence where it got it and put a big rock there for good measure. I put my lettuce and spinach in pots and up on a shelf so it didn't get those.

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    VICKI m1234.gif

Yay! You're back!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Katla~ It's a balancing trick, keeping them cared for, yet letting them "be the man". My husbands' kneecap is getting better, so every once in awhile he wishes to drive. I have yet to let him take the time to walk/limp over to my side of the car to open my door. When he is better he can do that... I do let him get up earlier than me, and he can shower by himself, and then I hear him clunking around the kitchen. By the sounds I know that this morning he fixed himself oatmeal and a cup of tea. I gotta let him be my Chief!

Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,606 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    Cheri
    In Fairlawn, oHIo with a FOR SALE sign in her yard - YEEHAW!~
    OK I adore anyone that uses the words BAGILLION, and PERUSE in appropriate ways....just sayin....

Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE~ (((((hugs))))) from a gal in Oregon!! Hope everything goes well :-)

Becca
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Vicki - so glad you're back. I really value your presence. <3

I've said it before, but I'm really baffled by this box cake thing. They do exist in the UK, but I don't know anyone who uses them. Just "a puzzlement ". :laugh:

We have our big vote tomorrow on the EU. Our polling station is the village hall just around the corner. ;):*:o

I have a supermarket delivery tomorrow morning. I had to make two orders in June to get £15 off in July. I just order stuff that keeps, like kitchen towels and washing powder and only a few fresh bits. We have visitors at the weekend, so we needed some fruit, milk etc. for breakfasts. I haven't thought of a dessert for Friday yet, but our visitors are not the fussy kind. There is rhubarb still in the garden. They will be out all day Saturday with their son at a vintage car rally.
    The man of the couple is a childhood friend of my ex. I met them when I met my ex at uni. Last Sunday he and my ex were pall bearers for one of their other childhood friends who died of cancer. I knew him well too. My ex emailed me to tell me about it and to tell me that he has had an op to remove a tumour from his kidney. Then he had a bladder infection. I got this news on my arrival home from holiday.
    Some of you will remember that I have always been on good terms with my ex. We parted in love. I hope he has many more years ahead of him as he has two children by his second wife of 13 and 11. He is 69 in August.
    It is very nice that I am still friends with my ex's old friend and his wife. <3 A little strange, but nice. I see more of them than he does as his life is understandably busy. They live in beautiful Cornwall.

Love from Heather, thinking deep thoughts tonight. UK
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Heather do you make all your cakes from scratch, then?

Big vote tomorrow is right! It will be very interesting!

My ex goes out to lunch with us once a month. I know, we are a bit odd. But I understand still caring about your ex.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Vicki So, so, so GREAT to see you back. Please don't feel like you need to read and respond to all posts. We just like to see your smile and know you are ok. Sorry about the reaction to the antibiotic. Let us know how removal goes.

My husband had a skin cancer removed from behind his ear two weeks ago. Now he goes to the surgeon July 7 and they will biopsy margins as they go to make sure they get it all. His glasses are driving him nuts on that ear.

Janetr okc
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ✔️
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    *waves at everyone*

Hi Ladies;

Kinda swamped at work, right now, so, while I have read up on everyone on my lunch break, I haven't really had a chance to respond to everyone individually.

Frieda, Hon - I will call, I promise - but it might not be til next week. Good luck on the scale and keep on logging. I find it makes all the difference.

Tonight, it's Chicken Cacciatore in the crockpot - pretty basic stuff - just canned fire roasted tomatoes with some onions and peppers and a tiny bit of spice. It's my first try on this one, so I will let you know how it is. We like a little zip in our food - so a number of the recipes I use have as much as a teaspoon of crushed red pepper in them... maybe too spicy for some - although they can be toned down, easily enough. I also have one or two recipes that are red-pepper free that I can share.

HOT seems to be the going thing, round these parts - and yes, sticky - so, thank goodness for Air Conditioning - or I would be prostrate on the couch, rather than chugging along on the elliptical.

Heck, the gym is cooler than MY house, so I might be spending more time there, than at home... lol.

The scale is tantruming again, but, I am not overly concerned because -

a) I can see the puffiness in my ankles, so I know I am retaining water.
    b) I have been at a calorie deficit every day - and I am brutal on the logging.
    c) I never eat my exercise calories! (see item b)

So, I will just ride it out and wait for the scale to do that magic thing it does where it floats for days and then plummets.

I am kind of excited today... One of my co-workers has also been dieting - she went from a size 22-24 to a size 16! - and she has boxed up all her "fat clothes" and sent them to me. Since I am newly arrived at size 22-24 - I get a whole bunch of "new" clothes to try on... DH called to let me know the box arrived today! Whoot!

I can hardly wait to get home!

Hugs for Everyone!

Re in TX

• Annr
    Options
    Re in TX~ When its warm out, you retain water...body natural defense system dontchaknow... :-) Great job on the logging, I need to get back on track with that. I never eat my exercise calories either.

Today I met a lady at the laundromat. She just moved here from Brookings Oregon, living with her daughter and grandson. Sadly she lost her husband, and I just let her vent...she doesn't have any friends in the area...and I knew she needed it. You know when you chat with people and you feel like you have known them all your life, she was like that. Easy conversation. I gave her info on the TOPS meetings and told her to join us. I hope she comes next week. It was nice to help her and I sensed a relief over her, after our chat. I gave her a hug when I left. Life gives you moments, I have no choice but to act upon them.

Becca
    Oregon