November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    After a failed pre-work run yesterday I had a failed post-work run. When my son was at soccer practice it was pouring rain and 33F. I love running in cold, and I love running in rain, but not cold rain. It was supposed to turn over to snow so I thought I'd get a run in later at night but by the time it did turn over to snow it was 10pm and I had just eaten.

This morning's pre-work run was also a fail. I had a terrible headache so I stayed in bed. Hard telling when I'll get my runs in the rest of the week with all three kids home.

So two weekends ago I bought my daughter a new pair of running shoes, and told her they were only for running. Guess what I saw on floor in the entry way after she came home from college...yep, her running shoes. I could tell from the dirt she had been wearing them more than just for running, if she even did do any running. I'm not happy and may tell her that's the last pair of running shoes I buy for her.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    All this talking about NRWLFW made me guiltily realise that I haven't done strength training in a while. I skipped it in the week before the marathon (because hey - if I don't get to run because of some taper/rest thingy, I'm not going to kill my legs with squats and lunges either), skipped it in the week after the marathon (same as above, only with "recovery" instead of "taper"), and somehow that was enough to forget about it completely.
    I don't know why it's so hard for me to establish a consistent strength training habit!

I've been struggling with this lately. I was doing really well with NROLFW until I started getting shoulder pain that the doc said was bursitis. I did his prescribed advil/ice routine to reduce inflammation and then did a few half hearted body weight rounds. Felt fine but afraid to start NROLFW again in case it comes back. I bought another program this week & am planning to start it next week. It's a home program so I can do most of the exercises without moderation (which was the biggest challenge with NROLFW as I only have dumbbells).
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date:: :::: Miles :::: Nov total (goal = 75)
    11/01/16 :::: 5.7 :::: 5.7
    11/02/16 :::: 2.9 :::: 8.5
    11/03/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 10.7
    11/04/16 :::: 2.0 :::: 12.7
    11/05/16 :::: 6.4 :::: 19.1
    11/06/16 :::: 2.5 :::: 21.6
    11/07/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 21.6
    11/08/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 21.6
    11/09/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 24.0
    11/10/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.0
    11/11/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 26.5
    11/12/16 :::: 7.2 :::: 33.7
    11/13/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 36.8
    11/14/16 :::: 2.8 :::: 39.5
    11/15/16 :::: 5.6 :::: 45.1
    11/16/16 :::: 2.7 :::: 47.9
    11/17/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 47.9
    11/18/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 50.0
    11/19/16 :::: 7.3 :::: 57.3
    11/20/16 :::: 3.0 :::: 60.3
    11/21/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 62.9
    11/22/16 :::: 5.7 :::: 68.6

I took advantage of the rec center by my mom's house as the weather was still kind of crappy. It's a nice facility! The indoor elevated track was so much nicer than running on a treadmill. It was not crowded this morning, with only a few walkers who (mostly) stayed in their inside lane and a couple of runners. I ran for an hour and it felt really good. That's good, because I'm headed out for lunch and out for dinner tonight.

I will go pick up my race packet this afternoon, then I'm whipping up a batch of homemade Bailey's Irish Creme. We'll see how that goes but it is my go-to plan for getting through a potentially tense family holiday. LOL - it will be fine if we can avoid politics and religion at all costs.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    November walking miles

1---6.24 
    2---travel/pt/doc
    3---3.1 walk, 25 minute swim, 2.8 walk
    4--- travel
    5---3.19
    6,7,8--- Nada, pt, Nada
    9---4.7
    10---4.77
    12---3.0
    14---4.45
    15---4.4, 0.1x2
    16---4, pt, 0.1x3
    17--- 5.16 walk
    18---3.71, 0.1x1
    19,20,21---nada, skiped PT, nada
    22---3.60, 0.1x1
    23---4.20 0.2x3 whoo! So happy after yesterday's suckfest. I was released to go back to work, so maybe I'll dig in to a routine now.

57.36/50+

Not Advisable races:
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered) DNS
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • Elise4270
    edited November 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So two weekends ago I bought my daughter a new pair of running shoes, and told her they were only for running. Guess what I saw on floor in the entry way after she came home from college...yep, her running shoes. I could tell from the dirt she had been wearing them more than just for running, if she even did do any running. I'm not happy and may tell her that's the last pair of running shoes I buy for her.

Maybe she needs some walking around shoes too? Or just bonding with them. :wink:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Maybe she needs some walking around shoes too? Or just bonding with them. :wink:

Perhaps this.

I'm starting to get ashamed of how many shoes I am starting to have... and I just bought 2 pair last weekend because I needed some new walking around shoes and they had a special for 1/2 off your 2nd pair. Prior to that, I bought a new pair of hiking boots less than 1 month ago. Problem is that I never seem to get rid of the old. My old hiking boots have a hole in one of them... I have worn them only once since buying the new, but why can't I bring myself to throw them out? The old "walking around" shoes are now my "yard work" shoes - the reason I needed new is that they are very worn and they are stained from lawn mowing anyway. It just seems like I now have so many shoes - 3 formal (at varying levels of fancy), 2 hiking boots, 1 work boots, 1 yard work, 1 road running, 1 trail running, 1 gym, and 1 everyday walking around / shopping / whatever.

ETA: Oh yea... and a "walking around in house, but not something I would wear in public" pair... not slippers, technically. And I have a pair of water shoes and flip flops. Listing these out makes me feel even worse. It's crazy. I probably should get a shoe organizer.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I have 2 old pair for walking/yard, a 3rd pair for walking/running, and a 4pr on the way. I chunk my old ones or drop them in the donation bin if the shoes is good but I don't like 'em. My daughter is like the shoe nazi, accuses me of hording shoes. :blush:

There is an emergency pair in my trunk(and swim, bike run clothes), because you never know when you might be able to run.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @Elise4270 Each of my shoes is different and has something in the design (or in the case of yard shoes, how it has been used) to be provide benefit in particular situations (or to look appropriate in such situations). I could eliminate a few pair, but would still have more than you have.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in because I need to sleep. So tired! Went for my second run with my new running club tonight though and it was great. I ran with the middle group this time and it was perfect challenge/pace etc for me :)

November Running Challenge

2nd - 4.05 miles
    3rd - 4.27 miles
    5th - 4.60 miles
    6th - 7.28 miles
    7th-12th - injured
    13th - 5.37 miles
    15th - 3.20 miles
    16th - 3.40 miles
    18th - 3.08 miles
    19th - 8.38 miles
    20th - 4.03 miles
    22nd - 3.01 miles
    23rd - 5.50 miles

MTD - 56.17/80* miles
    *Adjusted down due to injury

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I am finally caught up on all the goings on here! I love seeing what everyone in the US is planning for Thursday. Is anyone planning to hit the stores for Black Friday? I have to work but I may do some online shopping.

I realized today that I will not make my 1500 mile goal this year. I had too many months under 100 miles with my hand surgery and then injuries of late. Last year when I did make it I did not have a month under 100. I guess it can be my goal again for next year :) I will make it to 2000KM though to double up my MapMyRun You vs the Year 1000KM in 2016 challenge!

I see lots of discussion on the Brooks Ghosts - has anyone tried New Balance- I am considering the Rush v2 and also the 730 v3's?

@kristinegift - I have not tried NROLFW but I have worked out with a trainer 2xWeek for the last 5 years. He was actually the one who got me running. He is on vacation in Thailand this month and I am supposed to be working out on my own either at the gym or at home with my own weights and I have done exactly how many workouts??? Yup - none! I know what to do, I know how to do it and with the correct form but actually doing it on my own - I just can't get motivated. This 'break' has reinforced why I have him kept with him all these years :laugh:
    @lporter229 - I was going to sign up for a Turkey Trot but I really don't want to have to deal with the traffic and crowds so I will be heading out for my own 10k and then come home and finish my cooking. I am making pies today so that part will already be finished.
    @midwesterner85 - I don't seem to be able to get rid of my old shoes or the ones that just don't work out either. I keep thinking maybe something will change and they will be ok the next time I try them, or I can wear them to the gym or maybe my daughter will want them. I have put most all of the ones I no longer use in the closet in my daughter's old room and they just keep piling up in there. I also keep thinking maybe I will give them to a running shoe recycle, but never seem to find one or when there is one at a race I don't have my shoes to give with me...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic recipe for Baileys please?!!!!

And shoes? Nah, you got nuffink on me. From memory-

Formal heels/strappy sandals not sure, about seven pairs?
    Boots - knee high, one (only one?)
    Boots snow- one
    Boots ankle - four
    Dance shoes - two heels, three flat
    Miscellaneous shoes flat for wandering around, dunno, ten pairs?
    Trail running shoes, one pair,
    Road running shoes, one pair,
    Trainers for gym, two pairs
    Walking/hiking shoes/boots, two pairs (one mid, one low cut)
    Shoes to wear to work, two
    Leopard print - just the one sadly.

From the sound of it the rest of you are rank amateurs. :)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat off-hand I'd say I have 6 running shoes, 4-5 walking (some are now yard work shoes) 2 crosstrainers, 3 tall boots, 3 ankle boots, 1 snow boots, heels in black/brown/nude/leopard/red, sandals in white/brown/black, black flats......that's probably not all. Lol

I've been off work this week, very busy but not exercising in any way. I've been resting the shin splints but then Sunday my foot started hurting! Aargh. Last run was Friday. Definitely will try tomorrow and see how the shin and foot feel but keep thinking about trying it tonight.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Ok this shoe count discussion could get dangerous! I didn't think I had that many until I started thinking about what @girlinahat and @greenolivetree listed... yup I have that many, have more, have more, have more...etc... UH-OH!!
    Road Running in current rotation - 5
    Road Running out or relegated to other - 5 (thought there were more actually)
    Trail Running - 1 (for agility)
    Training/gym - 3
    Flats and casual business shoes - 14
    Sandals - 8 (including my oofos recovery sandals
    Tall boots - 2
    Short boots - 5
    Snow boots - 2
    Dress heels - 7 (sorry no leopard!)

Ugh... I shouldn't have done this! It just proves what I didn't want to admit - I have too many shoes!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Ok this shoe count discussion could get dangerous! I didn't think I had that many until I started thinking about what @girlinahat and @greenolivetree listed... yup I have that many, have more, have more, have more...etc... UH-OH!!
    Training/gym - 3
    Tall boots - 2
    Short boots - 5
    Snow boots - 2

Ugh... I shouldn't have done this! It just proves what I didn't want to admit - I have too many shoes!

WOW! Haha!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I've never actually worn the leopard heels. Lol!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Training/gym - 3
    Tall boots - 2
    Short boots - 5
    Snow boots - 2

Oh, right... I have snow boots. How could I have forgotten?!

You still have me beat, though.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Training/gym - 3
    Tall boots - 2
    Short boots - 5
    Snow boots - 2

No such thing as too many shoes. But DH's rule is I have to toss or donate a pair if I bring in a new pair.....
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I have like 4 pairs of shoes. I am not a typical female. I just don't get the whole shoe obsession thing.

Today, depression is kicking my *kitten*. I've been crying on and off all day. I cried all the way home from work. I got home and ran 6.2 miles and that was the only time I felt okay. Then as soon as I stopped running, the depression came back. And now I am sitting here trying not to cry again.

I'm supposed to go with my boyfriend to see his aunt and uncle tomorrow. They live out in the country, which might be a nice diversion from my miserable life. I have to work on Friday. I have the weekend to myself, which could be very dangerous for my depression. Making sure I get some good mileage in on those days so at least I have a little respite.

I am really hoping I come out of this crap soon. I really don't want to end up in the hospital again.

Sorry to go on like this, but I really don't have any good place to vent.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Oh, and all my shoes are black.