November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty big hugs! Message me anytime if you need an ear :) Good for you getting that 10k run!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. Feel great, but am not running. Saw my podiatrist, did laundry, baked a sweet potato pie for tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I'll get up early and go run a 10K. I'm guessing I'll be able to run it at T or slightly slower, say a 42 to 44 minute time.

@shanaber - I won't shop Black Friday for the sake of shopping, but the local Fleet Feet has a Waffle Run that morning. If I'm not too beat up from the 10K tomorrow, I'll go to the Waffle Run and see what's on sale. A couple years ago they had GU for 30% off. Most of the sales on clothing are stuff I don't need, or simply marked down from "You've got to be *kitten* me!" to "An argument could be made that quality deserves a premium price." But once in a while I might see something I need at a price that is reasonable. Maybe I'll find another $10 singlet. (Forget shoes. What's on sale won't be in my size.)
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Goal: 30 Mi

11/02/2016: 4.5 Mi Total, 2.75 Mi Running
    11/06/2016: 3.0 Mi Total, 2.00 Mi Running
    11/07/2016: 3.2 Mi Total, 2.50 Mi Running
    11/09/2016: 4.0 Mi Total, 3.00 Mi Running
    11/11/2016: 2.5 Mi Total, 2.00 Mi Running
    11/14/2016: 4.5 Mi Total, 3.00 Mi Running
    11/16/2016: 3.1 Mi Total, 2.50 Mi Running
    11/18/2016: 3.5 Mi Total, 2.70 Mi Running
    11/21/2016: 2.8 Mi Total, 1.00 Mi Running
    11/23/2016: 3.7 Mi Total, 1.30 Mi Running

Distance Left: 7.25 Mi

Doing a couple of sessions of higher intensity intervals, probably will work on some longer runs again soon to close the gap to 30 Mi.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty HUGS from me too!

I'm not a "girl" either. Only sneakers fit me. My foot is too narrow for women's dress up shoes. I struggle with the girl stuff. I don't own make up, or earrings.. I think I'm just to funny looking dressed up like a girl. I hate boobs, awful things that just get tender, oogled, and get in the way. Horrible since mine seem to be getting bigger... :unamused:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    November running challenge.

Still working on my base....going to increase to 10 miles per outdoor running....and, for treadmill...rolling hills with intermittent speed drills.

November 1st.....Moody Blues concert
    November 2nd....9 miles at average max heart rate of 77%. Temperature was in the 70's, head wind on mile 4, started going faster instinctively, then remembered that these were to be slow miles working on my base. Noted sore hamstrings and glute muscles at miles 6 onward.
    November 3rd....rest day (dentist)
    November 4th...rest day
    November 5th..rest day...Breeder's Cup racing on TV
    November 6th...9 miles at average max heart rate of 77%.
    November 7th...work
    November 8th....4.04 miles on the treadmill, rolling hills...max heart rate of 79%. Still training in the zone...3 hours of sleep after working all night. 50 minutes of weight lifting session.
    November 9th....6 miles outdoors.
    November 11th....4.54 miles, rolling hills at max heart rate of 81%. Only 4 hours of sleep after working all night. May be my last run for the week due to family coming to Indiana, then busy work week afterward.

November 18....So unable to run for a week. Had a great visit with my mother and sister, and I bought a new student flute (at an antique shop). Woo hoo! Then 3 nights at work. 8 miles. Left leg with tightness and steady ache...felt wooden.

November19...rest day....still walking with a limp, tightness in left leg.
    November 20...rest day....Tylenol didn't work. Still with a lot of aches in both hips. Tried ibuprofen....much better.
    November 21....3 miles...left leg started tightening again on mile 3....only had time for 3 miles after my dentist appointment.
    November 22.....4 miles....a little warmer day...43 degrees. Just running by "feel"....running fast enough to sing America the Beautiful...with some vibrato, think Burt Lahr of miles"The Wizard of Oz".
    Legs felt much better...attributed pain with inflammation.

November 23.....6 miles.....ran it in steady rain and light drizzle....left leg tightened mile 3, better by mile 5. Feet were wet the whole time, wet soggy socks and shoes. Unpleasant experience.

May not make goal. Running out of time.
  • ereck44
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    25 kilometers
    5 donut shops.

I'm in!

http://jordanhanlon.com/donut-day-25k/

2015-Donut-Run-17-Mile-Course.jpg

Looks like so much fun! The weather in Minnesota is always great....love it!
  • ereck44
    Options
    I have like 4 pairs of shoes. I am not a typical female. I just don't get the whole shoe obsession thing.

Today, depression is kicking my *kitten*. I've been crying on and off all day. I cried all the way home from work. I got home and ran 6.2 miles and that was the only time I felt okay. Then as soon as I stopped running, the depression came back. And now I am sitting here trying not to cry again.

I'm supposed to go with my boyfriend to see his aunt and uncle tomorrow. They live out in the country, which might be a nice diversion from my miserable life. I have to work on Friday. I have the weekend to myself, which could be very dangerous for my depression. Making sure I get some good mileage in on those days so at least I have a little respite.

I am really hoping I come out of this crap soon. I really don't want to end up in the hospital again.

Sorry to go on like this, but I really don't have any good place to vent.

So sorry that you are dealing with so much depression...cyberhugs! I am glad that you have found something to help (running).
  • ereck44
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So two weekends ago I bought my daughter a new pair of running shoes, and told her they were only for running. Guess what I saw on floor in the entry way after she came home from college...yep, her running shoes. I could tell from the dirt she had been wearing them more than just for running, if she even did do any running. I'm not happy and may tell her that's the last pair of running shoes I buy for her.

Maybe she needs some walking around shoes too? Or just bonding with them. :wink:

Perhaps this.

I'm starting to get ashamed of how many shoes I am starting to have... and I just bought 2 pair last weekend because I needed some new walking around shoes and they had a special for 1/2 off your 2nd pair. Prior to that, I bought a new pair of hiking boots less than 1 month ago. Problem is that I never seem to get rid of the old. My old hiking boots have a hole in one of them... I have worn them only once since buying the new, but why can't I bring myself to throw them out? The old "walking around" shoes are now my "yard work" shoes - the reason I needed new is that they are very worn and they are stained from lawn mowing anyway. It just seems like I now have so many shoes - 3 formal (at varying levels of fancy), 2 hiking boots, 1 work boots, 1 yard work, 1 road running, 1 trail running, 1 gym, and 1 everyday walking around / shopping / whatever.

ETA: Oh yea... and a "walking around in house, but not something I would wear in public" pair... not slippers, technically. And I have a pair of water shoes and flip flops. Listing these out makes me feel even worse. It's crazy. I probably should get a shoe organizer.

I can totally relate to this....too many shoes....I will throw the ones with holes away. I have a shoe tree (organizer) but still so many that the organizer can't hold all of them.Like you, my old shoes become yard shoes. Only 2 pair of running shoes thus far!

Say, anyone else collect outerwear....I have quite the collection.. I just drool over a pretty coat.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @midwesterner85 @Elise4270 @shanaber @girlinahat @greenolivetree

This Shoe Addiction thing could be a real problem.
    But none of us could beat Poppetsmaster - for those that remember him. Miss his "cut the BS Wit".

I think I have a problem. Quick call Shoes Anonymous - SA??

Running shoes
    6 pairs in the closet - still in boxes. 1 trail & 5 road ( 2 are new this week $84.00 total = $42.00/pair :) )
    6 pairs in rotation 2 trail & 4 road - one of the road pairs will be retired before Christmas
    2 Ice screw pairs waiting for Crappy Weather-Trails. They don't get a lot of Km's on them.
    2 Retired to Yard - shop - walk about shoes.

Dress
    3 pairs 2 black 1 brown - leathers - one of the blacks should go to the Shoe Drive.
    1 Cowboy Boots - everyone needs *hit kicker*

Work & other
    2 pairs in closet
    2 pairs in rotation
    1 pair @ work for Quick Change - Replacement
    1 pair Steel Toe 10" Rise Leathers @ work
    1 pair Steel Toe Winter MukLuk style @ work
    2 pairs Hiking Boots 6" rise
    3 pairs sandals
    1 pair water Booties
    Do Ski Boots Count??
    2 Downhill
    1 Crosscountry

Yikes that is a lot of shoes.

4 pairs of Retired shoes ( Hiking, running, work ) waiting for the Local Charity " Peru Shoe Drive " to kick off.

No Leopard Skin Boots :) or Undies B) for me.

Since I have Duck Feet - Wide Toes & Small Heel when I find a shoe/style that fits I tend to Overbuy as in the past I have had a shoe fail and been forced to buy what ever I could find in our small town that was " close to a good fit"
    Much nicer when you can open the closet and shop for the required footwear

No run today was out of town for work so after 9 pm when I got back and just didn't have the Mental Drive to get out and go.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Hugs. Feel free to vent here. Love how all your shoes are black. I'd say 80% of mine are too.

I've got 2 pairs of "heels" and neither are stilettos, and I've only worn one of the pairs six months ago for the first time in 10 years. I have no idea why I've kept the other pair, except they're a great style.

@7lenny7 I don't know about you, but 25 km doesn't earn me enough calories for 5 donuts, unless I want to eat basically nothing else for the rest of the day. :smiley:

01 November – 10.3 km
    03 November – 10 km
    5 November – 5.1 km parkrun
    8 November – 7.3 km
    9 November – 3.1 km
    10 November – 11 km
    12 November – 7.6 km including parkrun
    13 November – 21.3 km in the rain
    15 November – 10.2 km
    17 November – 9 km
    19 November – 5 km parkrun PB 26:39
    20 November – 14 km with 518 metres elevation
    22 November – 10.2 km
    24 November – 10.3 km

Goal: HM, then Zen Mode
    Total: 134.4 km

Upcoming:
    4 December – Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I run pretty much exclusively in New Balance and I would highly recommend them. I've got the 850v5 and v6, which have helped my shin splints beautifully. I don't think they have the longevity that other shoes in the 'support' range do, as they seem to need replacing at about 350-400 miles, but they are about 33% cheaper (well, they are here in the U.K.) than other brands so I think it evens out economy-wise.

@RespectTheKitty You're always welcome to vent here, we're always here to listen. You're doing all the right things to kick depressions butt though, you're running and making nice social plans, so don't beat yourself up for how you feel. Depression comes in peaks and troughs, you will get through this low point and you won't end up in the hospital again - you're far too aware of what's going on to ever let yourself get like that again, you'd see the warning signs you probably didn't see before. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will beat it. And enjoy the trip away to the countryside!

I'm not American, but wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving today! Hope you have an awesome day eating strange food and going out running dressed as turkeys (or so is my understanding :wink:)
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all

My effort:
    1/1: 7.4k
    11/3: 6.3k
    11/4: 6.1k
    11/5: 18k
    11/7: 10k
    11/8: 3k
    11:9: 2k
    11/10: 9.5k
    11/11: 2k
    11/12: 9.2k
    11/14: 3.2
    11/15: 10.4k
    11/17: 8.8k
    11/18: 2.1k
    11/19: Rest
    11/20: 21.2k
    11/22: 8.3k
    11/23: 2.5

Up until now: 130k
    Left:10k

Take care everyone!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty so sorry you are feeling this way and that it is not passing swiftly. sending good vibes your way.

@katharmonic I might give that a try, although the cheap version from Aldi might be easier (plus I'm more of a dry spirit person, with the occasional digestif desire instead of a pudding - brought back a bottle of cuaranta y tres from Barcelona recently and annoyingly my housemate likes it too.....)

re: shoes. It is evident that I am a beginner runner and do not possess enough pairs of running shoes. Clearly this is something that requires my immediate attention to resolve. There is NO such thing as too many shoes. Glad to see that I am not the only shoe-obsessive (I’ve managed to reduce my addictive nature on this in the last couple of years AND had a clear out not so long ago). I do like heels but rarely wear them, and now most of the dressy events I go to are dance events where I need proper dancing shoes for.

Nothing wrong with not being a girly-girl. I work often on scaffolds and building sites, so promised myself that since I wear jeans and casual clothes for work, I wouldn’t wear jeans AT ALL socially. So I tend to dress up when not working, it’s my way of combatting the non-girly nature of my work (although I am trying to be somewhat better-dressed at work, right now it’s so HARD since it’s cold).

Happy Thanksgiving to you American folks, and Happy Thursday to everyone else!

Planned run in the dark with my running group tonight, around 4.2miles I’m told.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving!

0nlpre93ikbx.jpg
  • tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Happy thanksgiving to all that celebrate it.
    I've not been running due to having a tight hamstring although have a run planned for tonight so will see how it goes. May have to adjust my monthly mileage I had wanted 40 miles but currently on 25 after having a week off.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving and/or Thursday to all. In thr car with my wife, mom, and brother, on our way to a 5k. So proud of all of them, jumping into this.