what NOT to eat

Options

Replies

• wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, I can and do eat a huge variety of foods, but I'm also of the mind that I need to change that. While I like the "can eat anything" mindset and the healthy relationship with food that it implies, I also need to temper that with "Should I eat anything?" at times.

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Annisette toast? The whole package goes, along with a quart of milk.
    Pancakes? Heh...

With due respect some of you long time mfpers aren't taking into account the fact that some of your audience will not have the same healthy relationship with food that you do. And it might be easy to become a bit blase' about it because you may not see that person you're chatting with go into a tailspin over a bowl of ice cream.

I take full 100% responsibility for what I do, and what I put into my own body, but with that said, I also know certain items will be very difficult for me to eat in moderation, extremely difficult at times.

I <3 you folks, seriously - just reading much of what's posted here has helped me change almost everything regarding my eating and physical fitness, but I do think simple things like that are tossed out a little too nonchalantly sometimes...

I didn't have a particularly healthy relationship with food when I adopted the approach of moderation. The idea that I could eat pizza or cake sometimes and that it wasn't a "bad" food or an indicator that I lacked self-control or that I would never be thin was part of what helped me develop the relationship I have with food today, where I can say "no" to cake or have a slice or two of pizza.

I've hidden food, eaten in secret, lied about it, tried multiple crash diets, passed out from lack of calories. Not saying everyone in this conversation has my history, but the idea that everyone who says "Hey, you don't have to quit eating pizza to lose weight" has a 100% rosy history with food and has always been at their ideal weight just isn't accurate.

I respect what your saying, but you can't lump us all into one group. I'm a long time MFP'r and a successful weight loss person, but..... I still struggle with having a healthy relationship with food.

I'm specifically trying *not* to lump everyone into one group and I'm sorry that what I wrote came across as if I was.

I think you did good. I was confused by that as well. :confused:
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I can and do eat a huge variety of foods, but I'm also of the mind that I need to change that. While I like the "can eat anything" mindset and the healthy relationship with food that it implies, I also need to temper that with "Should I eat anything?" at times.

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

With due respect some of you long time mfpers aren't taking into account the fact that some of your audience will not have the same healthy relationship with food that you do. And it might be easy to become a bit blase' about it because you may not see that person you're chatting with go into a tailspin over a bowl of ice cream.

I take full 100% responsibility for what I do, and what I put into my own body, but with that said, I also know certain items will be very difficult for me to eat in moderation, extremely difficult at times.

I <3 you folks, seriously - just reading much of what's posted here has helped me change almost everything regarding my eating and physical fitness, but I do think simple things like that are tossed out a little too nonchalantly sometimes...

I didn't have a particularly healthy relationship with food when I adopted the approach of moderation. The idea that I could eat pizza or cake sometimes and that it wasn't a "bad" food or an indicator that I lacked self-control or that I would never be thin was part of what helped me develop the relationship I have with food today, where I can say "no" to cake or have a slice or two of pizza.

I've hidden food, eaten in secret, lied about it, tried multiple crash diets, passed out from lack of calories. Not saying everyone in this conversation has my history, but the idea that everyone who says "Hey, you don't have to quit eating pizza to lose weight" has a 100% rosy history with food and has always been at their ideal weight just isn't accurate.

I'm not sure how that came across from my post, but painting that picture wasn't my intention at all. I'm still (1 year in) developing that relationship as well. What I wanted to highlight was that some folks may take that statement as an endorsement to not be quite as guarded as they would otherwise in their food choices and portions. I hope that clears what I meant up some.

Thank you for clarifying. I was responding to this sentence in particular: "With due respect some of you long time mfpers aren't taking into account the fact that some of your audience will not have the same healthy relationship with food that you do."

When I suggest to someone that they don't necessarily have to give up pizza or wine or cake to lose weight, that specifically isn't coming from my current (pretty rosy) relationship with food. It's coming from my knowledge that, for me personally, knowing that I didn't have to give up certain foods helped me go from that not-rosy place to where I am now. I'm not just taking it into account that the person I'm talking to may not have a great relationship with food, I'm actually suggesting what worked well for me and others.

That isn't to say it will work for everyone and I know there are people who do much better when they do eliminate certain foods from their lives. But honestly, most of us who have struggled with food have already *tried* elimination at various points, so if someone hasn't yet tried to get away from the whole good food/bad food concept, it may be worth a try.

Thanks for pointing that out - I wasn't very careful to clarify there lol. And heartily agreed :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

I'm not sure how that came across from my post, but painting that picture wasn't my intention at all. I'm still (1 year in) developing that relationship as well. What I wanted to highlight was that some folks may take that statement as an endorsement to not be quite as guarded as they would otherwise in their food choices and portions. I hope that clears what I meant up some.

It took me two years to develop self-control around ice cream. It was a long process. In some ways, I think that making it sound easy can also lead to trivializing how much effort is required to develop that control. I still have off days, but for the most part, I do much better.

At the same time, I think it's important for people to know that it can be done. For me, being too restrictive lead to failure every time. Followed by feeling horrible about myself (yes, this also required a lot of work). Digging in to make the changes felt daunting, but giving myself permission to accept that there would be days where my choices may contradict my goals was a freedom I never had before. It loosened the all-or-nothing mentality and has marked a considerable change in my approach.
    I have, and still do on occasion struggle with giving myself that freedom to do as I please, regardless of the outcome. And I'm still working on the ice cream btw. My wife loves it, and It's not fair to her to keep it out of the house, so I wander that way on occasion lol.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

I can't have Oatmeal Creme Pies in the house because I cannot moderate them. I find I don't like them much anymore, anyway, but I had to cut them out rather than moderate them. But I'm not going to tell the OP that they have to cut out Oatmeal Creme Pies too, because I don't know there food history. Trigger foods are far too individual to ever provide a list of what to cut out from a diet. A list like that would probably end up cutting everything out.

I don't know which of us longtime MFPers you're referring to here, but I see a lot of people (my own advice included) adressing more than just "eat anything." It's a hard balance to strike. When I came here, I was spiraling into something like orthorexia. I was told I "didn't deserve" fast food, that packaged oatmeal wasn't good enough even if it fit into my goals. I broke down into tears at a restaurant that was out of quinoa burgers. And I will fight to keep others away from that spiral if I can. When I came here and wandered into the forums, I found the "eat things you want that fit your goals" message amazingly empowering.

It's hard to give advice around here because it's never going to be perfect for everyone. The same message is too hard for some and too soft for others. One person's light emoji is another's passive-aggressive smilie. Eat what you like is empowering for some and confusing to others. It's why I'm glad we have such a range of posters here. I hope the OP can take what they find useful and leave the rest for others.

Just to clarify - I'm not attempting to point fingers at anyone, not at all. It's just something I picked up on - but then i read a post like yours and while I didn't have that trouble, or even near it, it puts that in a light that I just didn't consider before, the empowerment that comes from that freedom. Thanks :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    e="janejellyroll;38447794"]

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

I respect what your saying, but you can't lump us all into one group. I'm a long time MFP'r and a successful weight loss person, but..... I still struggle with having a healthy relationship with food.

I'm specifically trying *not* to lump everyone into one group and I'm sorry that what I wrote came across as if I was.[/quote]

I apologize I guess I was unclear. I was actually referring to Celphin60's statement of long time MFP people.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I just stopped drinking alcohol. We will see how long it lasts...
    Anyway, I want to get lean. I know WHAT to eat but not what NOT to eat.
    Any suggestions as to what NOT to eat so I can eliminate it from my diet and thoughts?
    Thanks!

Well, shoot, I can help you with that. :)

The only things you should not eat are foods/drink you are intolerant or allergic too, or you simply don't like.

In other words, you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight.

Set your goals up to lose your desired amount each week (.5 and 1 pound is recommended unless you have a lot of weight to lose, where 1.5 to 2 pounds is recommended), eat that amount, weight your solid foods and measure your drinks, log everything you consume, and stay in a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I just stopped drinking alcohol. We will see how long it lasts...
    Anyway, I want to get lean. I know WHAT to eat but not what NOT to eat.
    Any suggestions as to what NOT to eat so I can eliminate it from my diet and thoughts?
    Thanks!

If you know what TO eat, you know what NOT to eat. Right?

True but I just want someone to tell me. It's easier than left to my own devices. lol

The bottom line is your own devices is what will keep you on this weight loss journey. Believe in yourself and anything is possible.

You CAN do this!
  • Cylphin60
    Options

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

I'm specifically trying *not* to lump everyone into one group and I'm sorry that what I wrote came across as if I was.

I apologize I guess I was unclear. I was actually referring to Celphin60's statement of long time MFP people.[/quote]

Apologies @mamdon - As stated I'm not trying to lump folks in, or point fingers, nothing negative.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

I apologize I guess I was unclear. I was actually referring to Celphin60's statement of long time MFP people.

Apologies @mamdon - As stated I'm not trying to lump folks in, or point fingers, nothing negative.[/quote]

It's all good. :)
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    @flippy1234 ....There is a Dec2016 get sober stay Sober support group here...Just in case you wanna vent...I stopped alcohol and lost a quick 20 lbs.....Do not eat anything fried.....Stay away from baked potatoes have a baked ham instead...No condiments....Or mix your own. Bread bad!!!!! Of whole grain in moderation....I see a lot of men especially eating large amounts of protein....unless you work out vitreous and need that much....keep it under control....It's rough on the liver....And I'm sure I just opened up Pandora's box with that comment...lol ...I don't need a lot because I'm not very active...But I'm real good at diet...And lost 20 since I joined this site 79 days ago......And another 40 before I joined...I gained a ton after knee replacement last Dec.....I'm loving watching it go away....Any whole foods are great..brown rice....any and all vegetables you can eat...Herbs like cilantro and parsley for seasoning...fresh garlic..stay away from any box or can food if you can....I buy oysters in can because I can't get them fresh or I would....Have fun with it....
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Paiger816 wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend not eating those little Silica packets that come with new shoes.

They are actually okay to eat. Silica gel is completely non toxic (and probably low calorie), but it could present a choking hazard.

Are you telling me all those little packets I have thrown away, emblazoned with "DO NOT EAT" are just LIES and they are really withholding some low-cal nummies from me?! Oh the agony!
  • ConnieT1030
    edited December 2016
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    But extremely helpful for cutting empty calories that could be replaced with good, healthy, lower-calorie food.

So... Bread, baked goods, pasta, cereal... are "empty" calories? Really? Have you read a nutritional label lately?
    Its valid to say you can replace something with a lower calorie, nutritionally denser food, but they are certainly not all "empty" calories. (although baked goods covers HUGE range)
    But if you go telling someone to replace everything they eat right from the start, youre probably looking at someone who is going to crash and burn and go back to however they ate before pretty fast.
    Besides which, there are some good cereals, great breads, and plenty of whole grain pastas. Just because some people think carbs are the debil doesn't make them empty calories.

edit (bad initial editing made my post go bye bye)
  • ConnieT1030
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nevermind, I should have read further :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Paiger816 wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend not eating those little Silica packets that come with new shoes.

They are actually okay to eat. Silica gel is completely non toxic (and probably low calorie), but it could present a choking hazard.

Are you telling me all those little packets I have thrown away, emblazoned with "DO NOT EAT" are just LIES and they are really withholding some low-cal nummies from me?! Oh the agony!

I wouldn't eat them, but I keep them for those occasions when my gadgety stuff gets wet (phone falling into the sink for example). My Withings Go went into the washing machine just last week and the silica gel dried it out.
  • ConnieT1030
    Options
    Imma say it, don't eat the chocolate tower truffle cake, at 1,600 calories - not worth it. o:)

Oh man. Im pretty sure what you just did was illegal. Or should be. Now Im crying because I dont have anything remotely close to this, and when my hubby gets home from work, the store will be closed :'(
    (I edited the pic out so as not to torment myself- or others- any more. You realize that thing is 300 over my *entire* calorie budget?! I think i hate you =P ;)
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    A co-worker is currently on a diet and exercise plan and she said the biggest thing that helped her was cutting out soda (non-diet). She also drinks more water and cut out her morning breakfasts of breakfast tacos, donuts, hash browns, sugar cereal. She's slimmed down quite a bit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As most everyone has mentioned, you can do this by eating anything and avoiding nothing. It is all about calories, so log accurately.
    There certainly are foods that are packed with calories, or salt and are tough to fit into a budget but no one is advising you to stuff your face with those things. Moderation

Yep. This is all anyone is saying. There is no food that everyone "should" cut out in order to be successful. You might find there is some stuff you need to avoid, but they will be different for everyone and many won't need to give up anything at all. Not sure why anyone would think that is unhelpful or disingenuous. If you asked every person in this thread who has already reached goal (and there are many of them) they would probably each have a different type of food that they needed to keep out of the house. For me, it's those canisters of roasted nuts, I can eat 1000 cals worth in a sitting. I do fine with 100 grams of ice cream or a couple of slices of pizza, but a jar of nuts is irresistible to me. And none of the posts in this thread saying which foods to avoid mentioned nuts, go figure!