Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• 320sycamore
    320sycamore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tim. Wow, 118 pounds is amazing! Welcome to the thread. I've lost 34 pounds and have another 100 or so to go.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    :):D;):o:s:p:'(:|
    Friday Fitness ...
    Many of us who post on this thread have lost a lot of weight over time; we've also regained weight and started over again, often more than once.

We talk about some of our struggles on here, and congratulate one another when the scale shows a lower number. However, one thing we don't talk so much about is what we are doing that works for us to shed those pounds. ...

Oh, we all know that the key to losing weight most often starts, not in the kitchen, as I've read said, but in the mind ... with that first determined thought about 'doing it now', and with the habits we have had to/are still struggling to change. Food choices we have made that are switch-offs to our old-habit way of eating. Activities we have tried that help us burn through a bit more calories or help us retain more muscle on our downward trend ...

So I ask you ... what DO you do/Have Done that has helped you get to where you are today versus where you were on that first day you set you mind to losing weight, getting fit, eating healthy ...

Share your secrets! If you have been successful, give some specifics ... if you have stumbled and fallen, share your potholes that throw you off course. ... I think we can all learn from one another in this way.

Let's use the last week of our 'old' challenge to get those thoughts out there so that we have, perhaps, a new arsenal of techniques that have been tried/tested/worked to get on track or stay on track.
    :(:'(:*:p>:)o:)<3
  • ottersbc
    ottersbc Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    H
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.. I'm Jessica... I'm 23. My SW was 312 I'm down about 16 lbs. My goal weight is around 170-180lbs. I would love to join this challenge as well!!
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Name: Holly
    Height:5'3"

Start Weight (week of Feb 22) 267.0 lbs
    Goal Weight (Week of April 22) 251.0 lbs

Weigh-ins on week of
    February 22: 267.0 lbs
    March 1: 266.2
    March 8: 267.6
    March 15: 265.0
    March 22: 263.6
    March 29: 262.2
    April 5: no weigh in
    April 12: 262.0
    April 19:
    Last day April 22:

Weight -/+ this week: -0.2
    Weight -/+ this challenge -5.0

Hardly any weight loss due to over consumption of sodium causing weight gains due to fluid. I have nothing except my addiction to salty things to blame this on. And I HAVE to do better but it didn't happen yesterday. This starts a whole new week for me and includes Easter which will certainly have it's challenges but I was up so early this morning and thinking about what I can do. I'm thinking that I need to make myself a healthy meal for Sunday and enjoy the company instead of all the things on the table that will continue this crazy spiraling out of control with the sodium. Obviously I can't make my goal weight for this challenge but I can be tankful for the five pounds I have lost so far and a new higher step goal that I have accomplished and a better water consumption record. It all depends on how I chose to see that glass, and not let the disappointment in my failing to keep me from also seeing my success. The glass is half full. Maybe next time it can be 3/4 full or even full.

Welcome @SiegfriedXXL and congrats on your success so far, that's fabulous.
    Welcome @ottersbachmolly -looks like your post didn't all get through
    Welcome @reichardtjessica - I started at 307 and presently at 262. It's so much harder when you get older and have health problems to deal with, so good for you in getting yours off at your young age. You are off to a good start and this is a great thread to participate in along the way!
  • mysashabear
    mysashabear Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    23rd straight day of exercising and eating clean and healthy. Starting to see results!
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Proposal...

Ready for Summer 10 week challenge

Name:

Start Weight (week of April 19 or 26)
    continue previous or start fresh following week?
    Goal Weight (week of June 28)
    I will list weeks by the Wednesdays like Niki did

Weigh in week of:
    1. April 26
    2. May 3
    3. May 10
    4. May 17
    5. May 24
    6. May 31
    7. June 7
    8. June 14
    9. June 21
    10. June 28
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1

Weight -/+ this week:
    Weight -/+ total:

What do you think?

Wow, I like this template! It will work for me. I am in 100%. Thank you, @MermaidPrincessRach . And I like the idea of just continuing on from the current challenge, w/regard to the starting weight entry.

I am so glad we have a follow-up challenge. I'll think about helping with the next one--I like the idea of sharing the responsibility for doing this, and kudos to @Nikion901 for maintaining the stats for this one. That's the part that I'd have most trouble with--how to keep up with all of the numbers in an organized way? If I help with a challenge in the future I'll need to figure this out (former English/Literature major here, you do the math :smile: ).

So I'll try to follow along with what @MermaidPrincessRach does to hopefully get a feel for this.

• RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Oh, we all know that the key to losing weight most often starts, not in the kitchen, as I've read said, but in the mind ... with that first determined thought about 'doing it now', and with the habits we have had to/are still struggling to change. Food choices we have made that are switch-offs to our old-habit way of eating. Activities we have tried that help us burn through a bit more calories or help us retain more muscle on our downward trend ...

So I ask you ... what DO you do/Have Done that has helped you get to where you are today versus where you were on that first day you set you mind to losing weight, getting fit, eating healthy ...

Share your secrets! If you have been successful, give some specifics ... if you have stumbled and fallen, share your potholes that throw you off course. ... I think we can all learn from one another in this way.

Let's use the last week of our 'old' challenge to get those thoughts out there so that we have, perhaps, a new arsenal of techniques that have been tried/tested/worked to get on track or stay on track.

Well, you speak the truth when you say the key to losing weight starts in the mind. I am still struggling with this, honestly. Even when I see great progress, there's that voice within me that keeps trying to tell me, "What's the point?" And then I fall off the wagon. And the cycle continues.

I suspect I'm not alone in this. I think that what I need to continue doing is to work on finding that personal, internal source of strength/motivation. I'm luckier than some in that I have a really supportive spouse and the freedom to have a flexible schedule w/regard to exercise. Even with those resources, though, it's so tough. My hope is that each one of us can find our own personal source of empowerment to tap into.

YOU are worth it. YOU have value. YOU can do this.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Well, you speak the truth when you say the key to losing weight starts in the mind. I am still struggling with this, honestly. Even when I see great progress, there's that voice within me that keeps trying to tell me, "What's the point?" And then I fall off the wagon. And the cycle continues.

I suspect I'm not alone in this. I think that what I need to continue doing is to work on finding that personal, internal source of strength/motivation. I'm luckier than some in that I have a really supportive spouse and the freedom to have a flexible schedule w/regard to exercise. Even with those resources, though, it's so tough. My hope is that each one of us can find our own personal source of empowerment to tap into.

YOU are worth it. YOU have value. YOU can do this.

Thanks Claire, for sharing.
  • 320sycamore
    320sycamore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 , you nailed it when you said the key to success is definitely in the mind/soul/heart/whatever, but I have found that for me, there are also some tangible things I can do that assist in the day to day:

1) I do better eating smaller amounts more frequently and since I work full time (but at home most of the time) keeping things that I can pull out quickly with minimal preparation is really helpful. I make frittata muffins, buy ready made prepacked salads, keep hummus and guacamole and prechopped veggies around, etc. so that when I'm hungry I can grab something to munch during a conference call without having to "waste" time making something healthy

2) I drink lots of water (fortunately, I like water better than soda, tea or other beverages), and if I'm trying to figure out if I'm hungry or not I start by drinking 16 oz of water first

3) Popcorn - for those times when I'm really not hungry but my mouth wants to crunch
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    I agree with Kathleen, it's really important for me to always have something handy that I can eat. My blood sugar will plummet at the drop of a hat and I have to be prepared. Water is major in my plan and so is some form of exercise, even if it is just getting my step goal done on a daily basis. Other than that, it's the ability to talk myself out of the old I messed up and I'm not ready to get tough with myself again, so I'll just start again Monday. NO, you start again right now. Don't use a failure as a reason to fail some more. You are better than that, you deserve better than that and your health is more important than whatever is causing you to sabotage your own efforts!
  • Nikion901
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks Kathleen and Holly for also sharing your weight loss tips.

Everyone has something they do or have learned that helps someone else who may not have thought of it or tried it before. Yep, that mind set thing is the start line of the road we travel. Getting those tips out there reminds both us and others that there are many things we can do to make that trip a bit easier along the way.

My Tips to Share:
    1 - Make a soup of some sort every week ... for me it's a fast go-to meal that takes minutes to serve up. I save up to 2 quarts in the fridge and freeze the rest (if there are no potatoes in it).

2 - Drink a full glass of water before a meal, anywhere within 30 minutes of eating, but the closer to the meal, the better. And ... if I'm craving food and it's not time to eat yet I have 1 (one) almond with that cup of water. (Have you ever tried hot water - like for making tea? I drink more water straight from my Keurig rather than the faucet).

PS ...

3 - Don't eat past the 'burp'. I've noticed that as I am eating, I burp at some point in the meal. I've come to recognize that I am actually satisfactorly full at that point ... so now when I am eating, I slow down enough to catch that burp when it comes up ... and that's the time to quit eating any further. Leaves me without an overly full tummy but plenty of satisfaction.

4 - And ... don't drink during my meal. If it's kind of dry ... masticate!
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,889 Member
    Options
    Hoppy Easter everyone! Enjoy!
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter everyone. I totally over ate today, I'll have a lot of work to do in the next couple of days to undo today's damage and worse yet it's given me terrible heartburn already and I haven't even laid down yet. Will probably spend the night sitting up on the couch sleeping!

Nikion901 asked for any tips so here are a couple of mine. I tend to want to snack in the evenings, here are two things that have helped me stay on track. 1) Brush your teeth right after dinner, there's something about the feeling of a clean, fresh mouth that keeps me from putting food into it and 2) I chew sugarless gum if I really have to have something in the evening. It helps be feel like I'm eating but keeps me away from those other unhealthy snacks.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    I ate more than I intended today too so I will need to be more active this next week and lower my carbs for a few days because the ham we had today was delicious but I'm sure the sodium was very high. I have logged it yet. Hope everyone had a wonderful happy Easter!
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So far I have written down 13 persons that are willing to participate in the next 10 week challenge.

@lksmeeton
    @MermaidPrincessRach
    @bapcarrier
    @RobinB0812
    @happygirlxxx
    @GOINSTD12
    @reichardtjessica
    @birgitkwood
    @karenleona
    @campfirequeen1
    @320sycamore
    @RunningOnWontons
    @sand86802 (myself)

Let me know if I forgot anybody or if you want to add your name to the list. Like the last challenge, no pressure and if you want to add measurements, fluid consumption or anything else to your challenge, please feel free.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,889 Member
    Options
    Helene, thanks for gathering the names of participants! :wink:

Here is the template to copy for the next challenge:

Ready for Summer 10 week challenge

Name:

Start Weight (week of April 19):
    Goal Weight (week of June 28):

Weigh in week of:
    (Weeks are listed by Wednesdays)
    1. April 26 -
    2. May 3 -
    3. May 10 -
    4. May 17 -
    5. May 24 -
    6. May 31 -
    7. June 7 -
    8. June 14 -
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1 -

Weight -/+ this week:
    Weight -/+ total:
  • Nikion901
    edited April 2017
    Options
    :):D:(;):/:o:s
    Earth Day Weight Challenge Update ... week including April 12th

We had 11 people report their weight this week for a 10.60 pound group loss this week ... We have all lost weight and the 11 of us, as a group, have lost 100.50 pounds during the past 7 weeks of effort. :)
    4 people have reached and/or passed their goal weight! :):)

Next week, when I report the final results from out 8-week Earth Day Weight Challenge, I'll provide some percentages as well as kudos to the 'biggest losers' ....

We have one more week, the Easter basket has already been raided and should no longer pose it's special dangers to us, so lets finish up on a strong note!

To help along with that ... I asked for tips that worked and got some good responses that I'd like to share with you now as you go forth in your weight loss efforts ...

Things that help ...
    1 - A supportive spouse (could be friend, someone outside yourself)
    2 - Sensible snacks, like popcorn or chewing sugarless gum, always have something handy that you CAN eat
    3 - Water (it's major,drink lots of it, before each meal, not during a meal, in soups)
    4 - Brush your teeth right after your meal
    5 - Don't eat past the 'burp'
    6 - Find the eating plan that you do better with: for some it's smaller meals more often and for others it's not
    7 - Some form of exercise
    8- Don't use a failure as a reason to fail some more!

<3o:):*:#:p:|>:)

Good luck this week everyone. Do your best and don't forget to weigh in by SATURDAY - Earth Day! Your next challenge is already in the works and your first weigh in will be the week of April 26 ... moderated by either @RobinB0812 or @sand86802 ... who stepped forward to keep the challenge ball rolling ... or perhaps it will be @MermaidPrincessRach who provided the next format .... one of the three.

:'(:p>:)
    Niki

PS ... thanks to the ladies who did step forward to continue the challenge. I plan to partiipate in it, but am taking a couple of weeks off to practice maintenance, so I won't be starting until a few weeks have passed.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    sand86802 wrote: »
    So far I have written down 13 persons that are willing to participate in the next 10 week challenge.

@lksmeeton
    @MermaidPrincessRach
    @bapcarrier
    @RobinB0812
    @happygirlxxx
    @GOINSTD12
    @reichardtjessica
    @birgitkwood
    @karenleona
    @campfirequeen1
    @320sycamore
    @RunningOnWontons
    @sand86802 (myself)

Let me know if I forgot anybody or if you want to add your name to the list. Like the last challenge, no pressure and if you want to add measurements, fluid consumption or anything else to your challenge, please feel free.