Are there any protein bars that don't taste like a stick of chalk?

Options

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are great
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    kwissten wrote: »
    When you microwave quest bars for about 30-45 seconds they go from shoe leather to an actual edible cookie texture (but they still ruin my digestive system).

Seriously, what bar were you eating? The one I had was nothing like shoe leather! I don't speak so fondly of food I merely tolerate.

To each their own. I think Quest bars are like shoe leather too. All of them. I have tried too many to count and I really wanted to like them since they are praised so highly here but no. They nassty.

I wouldn't say shoe leather, but I found the taste to be "meh" - definitely not something I would spend my money on.
  • sotoale3655
    sotoale3655 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Luna bars. Chocolate peppermint is good.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I like the quest cookies and cream and vanilla almond flavors the best... These aren't the most popular, but I like them way better than the others. The cookie and almond bits seem to help with the texture.

But really? Like, actually delicious? Actually a healthy candy bar? No. Lies. All lies.

2016-05-06-09-29-mars_cropped_80.jpg

@Chef_Barbell

How close do these actually taste to the regular snickers bar? I love snickers bars...

One of the online shops around here sells them for around 3$ per bar (shipping offered if you order over 100$... so I'd be getting 2 boxes in one go), so a price I could still justify for a snack used every 1-2 weeks (my current snickers bar rate of consumption), even though it is double the price of a regular bar...

But it's not a price I'm willing to pay if it's not even close to the original taste.

They taste pretty close, but I'm not a candy connoisseur so YMMV.

Fair enough. :blush:

But I'll take your opinion over google any day... you find some really weird things on there :astonished:

If I end up risking it (I'd hate to have to trash 100$ worth of food but I have done that before - life's too short to eat bad food), I'll give you a chocolate connoisseur's take on the taste :tongue:

Mail 1 of each to me and I am more than willing to offer a public review.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I can *totally* buy one of each of the Mars and Snickers from my local branch of Protein Haus at lunchtime and let you all know later ;)

Caveat: I'm in the UK, so can only compare the UK versions to the UK standard. From experience, US Snickers taste pretty different anyway (because whatever's on the outside isn't what I'd call chocolate!), and also a UK Mars bar is a US Milky Way anyway. But with nougat that's closer to the colour of a US 3 Musketeers but more dense...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I like the quest cookies and cream and vanilla almond flavors the best... These aren't the most popular, but I like them way better than the others. The cookie and almond bits seem to help with the texture.

But really? Like, actually delicious? Actually a healthy candy bar? No. Lies. All lies.

2016-05-06-09-29-mars_cropped_80.jpg

@Chef_Barbell

How close do these actually taste to the regular snickers bar? I love snickers bars...

One of the online shops around here sells them for around 3$ per bar (shipping offered if you order over 100$... so I'd be getting 2 boxes in one go), so a price I could still justify for a snack used every 1-2 weeks (my current snickers bar rate of consumption), even though it is double the price of a regular bar...

But it's not a price I'm willing to pay if it's not even close to the original taste.

They taste pretty close, but I'm not a candy connoisseur so YMMV.

Fair enough. :blush:

But I'll take your opinion over google any day... you find some really weird things on there :astonished:

If I end up risking it (I'd hate to have to trash 100$ worth of food but I have done that before - life's too short to eat bad food), I'll give you a chocolate connoisseur's take on the taste :tongue:

Mail 1 of each to me and I am more than willing to offer a public review.

Hihi. Careful my dear... If I do decide to buy them (haven't yet made up my mind since I'm cheap and there's no way I'd pay 20$ for shipping and handling so I'd do the 100$ minimum purchase), I would totally do that... but then *gasp* you'd have to share your address with an internet stranger :astonished:
  • Justanotherhippy
    Justanotherhippy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like the cliff mint protein bars
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    I can *totally* buy one of each of the Mars and Snickers from my local branch of Protein Haus at lunchtime and let you all know later ;)

Caveat: I'm in the UK, so can only compare the UK versions to the UK standard. From experience, US Snickers taste pretty different anyway (because whatever's on the outside isn't what I'd call chocolate!), and also a UK Mars bar is a US Milky Way anyway. But with nougat that's closer to the colour of a US 3 Musketeers but more dense...

Well since the ones I get here in Switzerland seem to be pretty equivalent to the ones in the UK... I would totally love that totally unbiased review :tongue:
  • crawlingfish
    crawlingfish Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder's Chocolate Mint.
    tastes great, good crispy texture, and it's vegan :)
  • SophNewts
    SophNewts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm really into Fulfil cookies and cream ones. Not sure where you're based, I'm in the UK and buy them from Holland & Barrett. Unfortunately they're quite expensive (£2.29) per bar but you can bulk buy 22 online for approx £21.37.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cross-posted from another thread:
    35dollars wrote: »
    Here's the best I've found so far (these are all as available in the UK):

PhD Pharma Whey HT+ ("delicious high-protein bar") - Chocolate/Peanut: 30g protein, 253kCal, just under 0.12g/kCal
    PhD Pharma Whey HT+ ("delicious high-protein bar") - Double Chocolate: 30g protein, 248kCal, 0.12g/kCal

Taste is pretty good, texture is a bit gloopy, but overall happy with these.

Nutramino Protein Bar - Chocolate Brownie: 20g protein, 264kCal, just under 0.08g/KCal
    Nutramino Protein Bar - Peanut & Caramel: 21g protein, 246kCal, 0.08g/kCal

Nowhere near as protein dense as the PharmaWhey ones, but these are delicious - I'd happily eat these as treats rather than protein supplements

Those Nutramino bars are quite hard to get hold of - last place I found them was http://hpnutrition.ie, and prior to that at https://postedprotein.co.uk/, but that are fabulous - I actually prefer them to most chocolate bars, they're that good.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Finally tried the pure protein and agree they are good. Quest bars are good too. I also like the mission bars. Power bars aren't bad either.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    My son likes the Aldi's Fit & Active line of protein bars.
  • cs2thecox
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    Those Nutramino bars are quite hard to get hold of - last place I found them was http://hpnutrition.ie, and prior to that at https://postedprotein.co.uk/, but that are fabulous - I actually prefer them to most chocolate bars, they're that good.

I thought they were great too (used to get them online from Cardiff Sports Nutrition or at my old Nuffield gym) until I tried Grenade Carb Killas. I can't believe I'm the only one who's mentioned them so far. They will blow you AWAY.
    Better than Quest, better than Nutramino Lean, better than Reflex R-bars, better than MyProtein My Bar Zero, bigger and better than PhD Diet Whey Bars. Yep, tried all of those too!

The Snickers and Mars are on my desk now, but I'm half way through a chicken salad at the mo, so I'll get to them a bit later this afternoon!
  • cs2thecox
    Options
    Well THAT was disappointing! :s

Mars...
    Negligible amount of caramel, nougat of that protein-y consistency that we're all trying to avoid, chocolate that tastes more American than British (i.e. NOT LIKE CHOCOLATE!).
    So basically they've taken a lovely, delicious Mars bar and reduced it to a fairly bog standard protein bar. Better than some, but no better than a PhD Diet Whey bar, and worse than a Quest in my opinion.

Snickers...
    Had about 4 peanuts on it, clearly visible through the wildly inferior chocolate-substitute that they've covered the thing in. Again, negligible caramel layer, and protein-y nougat. Fractionally better than the Mars (because: peanuts) but barely so. The Grenade Carb Killa Peanut Nutter is WAY better than this abomination in the name of Snickers, and has a ton less sugar to boot.

So team, save your money. They were £3 a go, bought singly, and entirely not worth it.
    If you want to throw that sort of money at a protein bar, buy a Carb Killa. (No, I'm not sponsored!)
    Get thee to http://www.grenade.com/ and sign up for the mailing list. They do a special of 2 boxes (24 bars) for £35 relatively regularly which makes them about half the price of anything you'll buy singly off the shelf. Or buy a couple to try from Holland & Barrett if you're in the UK.
    Or if you live near one, go to Protein Haus and buy their carrot cake or "healthy cake". Or a coffee pump shake. All make me very happy indeed. (As does a little serving of squid from somewhere like Pho or Yo Sushi.)

But give the Mars and Snickers a miss. Really.
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Well THAT was disappointing! :s

Mars...
    Negligible amount of caramel, nougat of that protein-y consistency that we're all trying to avoid, chocolate that tastes more American than British (i.e. NOT LIKE CHOCOLATE!).
    So basically they've taken a lovely, delicious Mars bar and reduced it to a fairly bog standard protein bar. Better than some, but no better than a PhD Diet Whey bar, and worse than a Quest in my opinion.

Snickers...
    Had about 4 peanuts on it, clearly visible through the wildly inferior chocolate-substitute that they've covered the thing in. Again, negligible caramel layer, and protein-y nougat. Fractionally better than the Mars (because: peanuts) but barely so. The Grenade Carb Killa Peanut Nutter is WAY better than this abomination in the name of Snickers, and has a ton less sugar to boot.

So team, save your money. They were £3 a go, bought singly, and entirely not worth it.
    If you want to throw that sort of money at a protein bar, buy a Carb Killa. (No, I'm not sponsored!)
    Get thee to http://www.grenade.com/ and sign up for the mailing list. They do a special of 2 boxes (24 bars) for £35 relatively regularly which makes them about half the price of anything you'll buy singly off the shelf. Or buy a couple to try from Holland & Barrett if you're in the UK.
    Or if you live near one, go to Protein Haus and buy their carrot cake or "healthy cake". Or a coffee pump shake. All make me very happy indeed. (As does a little serving of squid from somewhere like Pho or Yo Sushi.)

But give the Mars and Snickers a miss. Really.

Yikes! I'll be saving my money in this case! I was really really hoping on them as I can't stands the consistency of most protein bars and I really do like snickers :disappointed:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I am making lists of all the different bars you can get in the UK. I will be there 7 weeks so plenty of time to test a load of them.

@cs2thecox any chance of you getting hold of a bounty bar and testing it?
    I was so disappointed with the chocolate being USA style rather than UK. I never acquired the taste for USA chocolate.

Cheers, h.
  • jamievanzile15
    jamievanzile15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I do the quest bars as well. I actually like to heat them up in the microwave and then eat them. They tast like a treat!
  • ivonnempg88
    ivonnempg88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should make your own! They can be soooo good! Here is an example

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-chocolate-protein-bars.htm

I made the carrot cake protein bar and it was amazing!
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    You should make your own! They can be soooo good! Here is an example

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-chocolate-protein-bars.htm

I made the carrot cake protein bar and it was amazing!

Oh my goodness... those look amazing!

How long do the home made ones keep fresh (when stored properly)? And can you freeze them?