Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    First little mock meet in the books, with BW at 185.2 lbs.

No All-Time PRs, but performed well in comparison to them, while at a lower body weight. A strong improvement over where I had my 1RMs set at the beginning of this block as well (335 lb. High Bar Squat, 240 lb. Bench Press, 450 lb. Sumo Deadlift). 1x1x315, 1x1x335, and 1x1x355 High Bar Squat (10 lbs off my All-Time best, while at 15 lbs less BW). 1x1x230, 1x1x240, 1x1x255 (tied all time best paused thus far). 1x1x455, 1x1x485, and 1x1x515 Sumo Deads (10 lbs off best Sumo Dead around same BW). 1,125 lbs "total"...

Possibly had a good 10 lbs or so in the tank on each of these, so I guess I'm in a good spot for the next block. Taking a day of rest today, and then jumping back in. I'm excited to see what improvements I can make in the next six weeks.

Nice job Kyle @LolBroScience

giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hey guys and gals
    Started SL 5x5 a while back then dropped off during the summer (holidays/work/being a lazy git!) but getting back on it this week. Work out at home so don't have anybody to critic my technique, so have taken a short video of my squats and would love some advice/pointers from you much more experienced people!
    Thanks in advance
    G

Yeah, that bar position is even high for a high bar squat. As far as depth, you don't necessarily have to go that deep, but, I'm guilty of ATG instead of just breaking parallel too. If you get rid of the pad, you'll be able to rack it better and the pad won't be necessary because the lower placement won't be giving you pain.

Nothing like some of you folk but happy with my 315x2 rep pr for squats. Never, ever worked legs prior to my 40's so I've gone from struggling with 135 to a couple reps at 315. This is also at a lower bodyweight (190 vs 215)compared to the first time I got a single at 315.

https://youtu.be/rddyRudXALo

I could feel those! But yeah, looked good/powerful.
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    FrontSq: 225x8x4@8
    SlingShot: 300x4x1@9
    295x4x2@9
    Deads:445x1x1@8
    385×5x3@8

Did you wrap straps around the bar to hold onto on the front squat? Finding a grip that works is one of my biggest complaints about front squats.

I know you didn't ask me either - but ;) - I'm trying to learn to use the "standard" grip and it freaking sucks!
    I could probably do the arm cross variation and be fine, but since I'm trying to learn Oly lifts I suppose it's best to just figure it out... I'm struggling hard with not having the mobility to do the standard front rack though! We maxed the other day and my elbows not being up really limited how much I could lift.
    Keep working on it. I used to do the genie style aka body builder style front squats but I found I ended up choking myself more thus I dropped the weight and grinding out FS in the front rack position. Now, that I've gutted through it, I can get in the front rack pretty easy.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling hard with not having the mobility to do the standard front rack though! We maxed the other day and my elbows not being up really limited how much I could lift.

It will come in time trust me. I'm probably the most immobile person that lifts due to my nasty joint disease and 24/7 swelling not to mention being a older male.

Perhaps moving your hands out farther away from your shoulders without pinkies will help for now?
    FrontSq: 225x8x4@8
    SlingShot: 300x4x1@9
    295x4x2@9
    Deads:445x1x1@8
    385×5x3@8

Did you wrap straps around the bar to hold onto on the front squat? Finding a grip that works is one of my biggest complaints about front squats.

I know you didn't ask me either - but ;) - I'm trying to learn to use the "standard" grip and it freaking sucks!
    I could probably do the arm cross variation and be fine, but since I'm trying to learn Oly lifts I suppose it's best to just figure it out... I'm struggling hard with not having the mobility to do the standard front rack though! We maxed the other day and my elbows not being up really limited how much I could lift.
    Keep working on it. I used to do the genie style aka body builder style front squats but I found I ended up choking myself more thus I dropped the weight and grinding out FS in the front rack position. Now, that I've gutted through it, I can get in the front rack pretty easy.

I tried them today after some serious deep tissue work and things were MUCH better.
    Elbows felt higher, bar in a better position. I tried to do the little finger hook grip, which helped the wrist pain too.

Back squatting was another story though.... -.-
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Squat 395×1@7.5
    360×5x3@8
    Bench 2ct:265x4x3@9
    RDL:285x7x4@8

Everything was lighter today so was able to bump intensity, probably just fully recovered from meet.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lc07a9peirva.jpg

congratulations! Looks like it was a great turn out and a wonderful event! Congratulations!!!
    (I had a gym friend at this event- I wish i could have gone!!! DLB was there as well!)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    lindsbridg wrote: »
    Hey !! I would love to help you out with fitness tips and workouts! I post all my workouts in video and written form on my instagram @bad.n.booty_fitness and i even post healthy food and recipes with all the macros!

I think you've come to the wrong thread.....
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    lc07a9peirva.jpg

congratulations! Looks like it was a great turn out and a wonderful event! Congratulations!!!
    (I had a gym friend at this event- I wish i could have gone!!! DLB was there as well!)

Thank you!
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Best squat for me thus far. Background is I'll be 51 next month. I weigh in at a lean 145 pounds. Started weigh training 2 years ago. Barbell back squats 3 months ago. Little ugly but went deep. Can't get bar low due to ROM in left shoulder.

https://youtu.be/Tw2BlBGyRzM
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Bench feeling better each session after adding a 3rd day.
    Slingshot T&Gs
    4x285@7
    4x300@8
    4×310@9
    4×310@9 (vid)
    4x305@9.5 (vid)
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Training on my off day. Adjusting program because back is clearly irritated, but expected with extra stimulas outside of training.

Squats:
    1@8
    3x5@8

2ctBench:
    3x4@9

RDL:
    3x7@7
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    Koala bear PB

• deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    170Kg sumo pb

I hit 175kg but it was hitchy. If these sumos keep up then i may switch completely from conventional
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    wish I had the video to prove it but today I hit a milestone. got rack pull with 525 on a trap bar without any wraps. My back feels good again time to start working that deadlift back above 350!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of Stronglifts 5x5. I had not Squatted or Deadlifted for 20 years. I'm happy with my progression so far.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aL8bWHxTBkg&t=2s
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    @cgvet37 You're leaning forward before bending at the knees on squats. Both hips and knees need to break together. On OHP, lock your knees and squeeze glutes, don't bounce. Looks like you're making good progress, just want you to do it safely.