Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Finally get to share some real squats. I'm not unhappy with what I'm seeing. I've been using the SSB and pretty much solidly under 200 pounds squatting for high reps. This is the first time I've done anything over 200 and done really low reps. Feeling weak- like I wouldn't have wanted to grinding out more reps really since I did 5 sets of 2. But- eh. Some strength loss is bound to happen. So hoping in the next six weeks I can continue to improve my squat. I notice tension in my heels- so I think that's probably causing the rocking forward- or something combined with the rocking forward- I'm not getting any stretch. Anyway- all connected. still moving onward and upward.

Reps looks solid. Pants look Awesome!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Reps looks solid. Pants look Awesome!

Thanks the SSB is making a difference- I'm not getting to it as often as I would prefer- like once a week is being generous- it's not my bar- so I have to make sure the owner isn't using it when I get there- and in this program legs only happen once a week- so it's just- annoying- but I'm able to grab and activate things moar better where they need to be- so it's getting there.

Thanks!!! I was happy I bought them- I wasn't going to - but then ... well I couldn't help myself. they do good things for your butt.

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Finally get to share some real squats. I'm not unhappy with what I'm seeing. I've been using the SSB and pretty much solidly under 200 pounds squatting for high reps. This is the first time I've done anything over 200 and done really low reps. Feeling weak- like I wouldn't have wanted to grinding out more reps really since I did 5 sets of 2. But- eh. Some strength loss is bound to happen. So hoping in the next six weeks I can continue to improve my squat. I notice tension in my heels- so I think that's probably causing the rocking forward- or something combined with the rocking forward- I'm not getting any stretch. Anyway- all connected. still moving onward and upward.

Your squats look good - great depth!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAviW3HUL88&feature=youtu.be

280 lb. deadlift and I still have 1 more week of heavy deadlifts! I'm SOOO happy with this and can't wait to see what I can lift at Raw Nationals in 2 weeks!
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    100kg PB with pause at bottom, (pverty bench)

175kg x 4 rep pb

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ^^ I don't think it's a poverty bench.
    I don't train at a powerlifting gym, mostly at work and then at some regular gyms. I don't see a lot of people moving more that 200lbs on bench. Most top out around 185 (men).
    I think one of the mental ways we get all wacky is we ONLY see PL type people and have to remember we are probably stronger than 80% of the general population.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I still don't get why we call it a poverty bench.

I don't see that term being used with squats or deadlift really. Can someone explain that to me? My understanding is it's just a low number compared to your bigger pushes- but why did we start using it? and why do we mostly use it for bench?

I need someone to 'splain it to me.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I still don't get why we call it a poverty bench.

I don't see that term being used with squats or deadlift really. Can someone explain that to me? My understanding is it's just a low number compared to your bigger pushes- but why did we start using it? and why do we mostly use it for bench?

I need someone to 'splain it to me.

You have it right, and it really got started, from what I can tell, on bodybuilding.com which is the same reason that there isn't any logical behind it. They also use poverty for squats and deadlifts, not quite as often, but enough.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Why is it used more for bench? Likely Ego. Bench is inordinately used as a judge of strength, and to some people a stick to judge others. It wouldn’t surprise me if it came from bodybuilding.com their forums aren’t the worst on lifting but a lot of Bro’s hang out there. I hear people ask how much you bench but never how much you squat or deadlift. As an aspiring power lifter I find it stupid. It’s the total that count and deadlift and squats mean far more to that total.

Vinny, *kitten* man your numbers are fricken awesome. I also have low bench numbers but it just keeps me motivated. Keep up the great work!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Why is it used more for bench? Likely Ego. Bench is inordinately used as a judge of strength, and to some people a stick to judge others. It wouldn’t surprise me if it came from bodybuilding.com their forums aren’t the worst on lifting but a lot of Bro’s hang out there. I hear people ask how much you bench but never how much you squat or deadlift. As an aspiring power lifter I find it stupid. It’s the total that count and deadlift and squats mean far more to that total.

Vinny, *kitten* man your numbers are fricken awesome. I also have low bench numbers but it just keeps me motivated. Keep up the great work!

I just find it odd.
    Meh- oh well.

What I find more annoying that getting asked the bench question is..."how much can you lift"
    like- you want to know the one question that shows me you know literally nothing? that. That question.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    its your poorest"poverty" lift. My bench is a true poverty lift. Its improving but at a pace slow enough to drive me insane.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Making it look EASY, @Chieflrg!
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    deadliftsandnoodles Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Longish video but i got dared to to match my 180kg double in my pants so i did (swipe right for lifts)