November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 with RunKeeper I can delete GPS points that were read in error like that. Can you do that in Garmin? Or Strava? I never tried yet. If you could you should be able to just delete the triangle and then have accurate data.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 congrats on your 5k PR! That's great! GPS probably got screwed up with tall buildings, I had that happen to me in Boston where I had an incredible time on a mile and later looked at the map of my run and it was totally off of the route I actually took in a couple of areas. Oh well. Congrats to your daughter on the NYC marathon! That must have been very exciting. Enjoy your day in NYC.

Thank you for the additional birthday wishes. I haven't done much celebrating of my birthday in a few years so it was a fun weekend to actually celebrate and acknowledge. Now back to reality.

I love seeing and hearing about the various fur babies. I always wanted guinea pigs, they seem like the most fun rodent. :) But really I'd like a cat if it weren't for the litter box upkeep. I vowed not to get more than 1 kind of pet at a time unless there was more than 1 person to help, and well - it's just me and the dog for now.

More rain today, it's getting so old. I am planning on run group tonight unless it's awful.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @LC0924 That's awesome. I hope you had a great run!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 @fitoverfortymom There must be something about black and white kittys. My sister's boyfriend had a huge B&W guy and he would catch anything. And by 'anything', I don't just mean rats, mice, pigeons and rabbits. He also caught the neighbour's ornamental pheasants and most of the doves from their dovecote. He was the feline Terminator.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 with RunKeeper I can delete GPS points that were read in error like that. Can you do that in Garmin? Or Strava? I never tried yet. If you could you should be able to just delete the triangle and then have accurate data.

Oh! I will have to give that a try! Not sure.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    This is how wonky my GPS was this morning. 3fobcvsoohcn.png

The red X is where I actually started. It did seem to right itself during mile 2 (but mile 2 isn't actually mile 2 of what I ran, it's closer to 1.5).
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Shooting for 70 this month.

11/2: 6.35 1:00:04
    11/5 13.1 2:07:16 (Veterans Half) Garmin time, still waiting on the "official" non-chip time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn Congrats, and happy birthday, again! :D
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Out of town last week so I missed 18 pages so I'm going to try and be all fancy by having this thread up on two screens so I can actually respond to a few folks as I see things. :smile:

Frist, welcome to all the newbies!

@eponine1984, congrats on finishing c25k and running a 5k! Great milestone. And, what a little cutie you have!

@WandaVaughn, had to laugh at your husband's comment about the Rocket City marathon. I keep telling people who ask if I'll be doing for a full and I keep saying the half will be the length of run I stay at, but then I've said that for the 5k and the 10k. Time shall tell.

@skippygirlsmom, so sorry to hear about Skip's ordeal. How disappointing that must have been. Well, now to add on to that - sorry about the car accident, too! Glad she's ok on both counts. And, cool idea for the shirts.

Cute guinea pig pics! We used to have a chinchilla and are considering getting another soon. My husband is in HVAC and he worked on a woman's house who does chinchilla rescue so now he wants on again. Every time I see them I think of the little girl in Despicable Me - SO FLUFFY!! Never had gerbils but had lots of mice. My sister had hamsters. They're all so cute and entertaining.

@ddmom0811, congrats on the PR! And to your daughter for the marathon. Cool pic, too!

@WandaVaughn, I was thinking about you on Saturday! Congratulations!!!

And, there were 13 posts since I started reading everything I missed.

All you guys who run in cold weather are amazing. I live in San Jose, CA so if it gets below 40 I think I'm going to die. LOL.

I don't have a November goal yet but have around 8 in so far. Won't run much this week in anticipation of Sunday's HM.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn- Awesome job and happy belated birthday!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @WandaVaughn Happy birthday and congratulations!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    This is how wonky my GPS was this morning. 3fobcvsoohcn.png

The red X is where I actually started. It did seem to right itself during mile 2 (but mile 2 isn't actually mile 2 of what I ran, it's closer to 1.5).

I think your GPS might have had too much to drink...might be time for an intervention.

Ohhhh definitely. I intervened this morning by ordering the Garmin Vivoactive 3. Not ultra fancy, but it met my price point and is NOT a Samsung.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Woohoo @WandaVaughn since I already knew what you ran, I've been patiently sitting and waiting for your report. I wish I wasn't too lazy to get up Saturday and had a chance to meet up, we will have to make a plan soon. You did a great job! I know those blue boxes of which you speak ha ha!
    @lporter229 that is insane, I laugh in a 5K when I get to 2 miles and I know Skip is done, but the winner to be done before you start is painful.
    Yeah @ddmom0811 great job to you and your girl. :smile: So we don't get any pictures of her ha ha!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I racked up enough gift cards for my birthday that I was able to order the Garmin Vivoactive 3 this morning to replace my dead Samsung Gear Fit 2. I gave Samsung every opportunity to be good stewards of their products, and they failed on every account. Not only will I not purchase any more Samsung products, I get the pleasure of telling my wide circle of running and technology friends to stay far away.

New shoes. New watch. New attitude.

There was a time when I liked Samsung products. I would have happily suggested them... but over the past few years, I have not been impressed with the news about exploding washing machines and so on. Yours is just one more story in that lineup. Wonder what happened over there?

Uhohhh... We just bought a Samsung washer and dryer..... Dooo dooo
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Sounds like a fantastic time! Big congrats to your daughter. I watched the live coverage yesterday and was getting choked up, so I can only imagine what it was like to be there. Definitely on my (ever-growing) bucket list.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I racked up enough gift cards for my birthday that I was able to order the Garmin Vivoactive 3 this morning to replace my dead Samsung Gear Fit 2. I gave Samsung every opportunity to be good stewards of their products, and they failed on every account. Not only will I not purchase any more Samsung products, I get the pleasure of telling my wide circle of running and technology friends to stay far away.

There was a time when I liked Samsung products. I would have happily suggested them... but over the past few years, I have not been impressed with the news about exploding washing machines and so on. Yours is just one more story in that lineup. Wonder what happened over there?

I have loved my Samsung phone. No problems with it, and I've owned 2 in 6 years. It was really sad at how little they were willing to do to help a devoted customer with a household of Samsung phones.

Hubby bought me a new oven/range for my birthday and went with LG.

It was kind of a "Pretty Woman big mistake" moment, IMO.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I have loved my Samsung phone. No problems with it, and I've owned 2 in 6 years. It was really sad at how little they were willing to do to help a devoted customer with a household of Samsung phones.

Hubby bought me a new oven/range for my birthday and went with LG.

It was kind of a "Pretty Woman big mistake" moment, IMO.

I can tell DH to cancel the order for the w&d. I liked the LG better with the little sidekick thing they got now... We have a Samsung fridge and it's been fine.. I'll pass the information on to him.

Only phones I've had in probably 15 years are the Samsung's. I did do the Motorola when it was Google for a short time. I was So So So excited to do laundry. But probably not as excited as the poor soul doing laundry by hand with kiddos! Jessica, was it? Bleh!!!

ETA we opted for the front loading.. doesn't look like the same product. But still I'll have dh check into it.