WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Terry – I loved the Gnome tutorial – I have been told I need to bring gifts to just the kids at the Christmas gathering I am going to – so I will be one of 11 bringing gifts to 3 spoiled children…and the cut off between kid and adult in this group is 16 so on the day you turn 16 you are no longer a kid; so the 15 year old will get 11 gifts and the 16 year old will have to buy 3 gifts and will get nothing…I’m thinking 11 gnomes each with the person’s name on it… What are they going to do if I don’t play by the rules--- send me home????

Katla – ok that is a new one on me… the sides fall in – OH I bet they are not sealed at the top, how/what do you do around the top edge of the crust?

Karen – he looks like an interesting delightful man… (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,934 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Machka, sounds like you enjoy the holiday shopping. I like to go to the stores after I’ve found all my gifts just to look at their decorations and displays. And the mall have holiday music. I love it when I don’t have to fight the crowds looking for gifts. What did you get at the botanical garden gift shop. My DH always says he want nothing but I always say YES get me something. This year I asked for new pliers for my chainmaille jewelry making and a book of patterns. I found a really nice pair. He would just order them on-line. Hope I get them. If not, I’ll just order them myself after Christmas. I got him a new amplifier for his electric guitar. This year he told me what he wanted. My DD wrapped it right up so he wouldn’t be tempted to use it before Christmas.

Machka, like the office decoration. Here is what we did for our department decorations.

Terry, Cold, cold, cold in VT
    langman22 wrote: »
    akj79p5diu9l.jpeg

Nice!!

And I like the bookmarks. :)

I picked up some Tasmanian photography books and a "How to Draw Australian Animals" book at the Botanical Garden shop. I am a bit limited in what I can send. I can't send any of the Huon pine or lavender or honey products, and I can't send anything too heavy or bulky, so those books are quite slim and reasonably light.

I've been looking all over Hobart for that sort of thing, and have had a lot of shop keepers just look at me blankly. I walk into the Botanical Gardens gift shop ... and they've got quite a large section dedicated to all this. I wish I knew that a couple years ago! I had no idea there were so many books of various sorts on Tasmania!

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    Nnnng1jerewpfeym.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    aie4nvg5n9t3.jpeg
    3kdsdms66lig.jpeg
  • Machka9
    Options
    Rye - Do you eat the cookies and fudge? I am not keen on cookies, but fudge is a weakness of mine. I like the old fashioned crunchy fudge. In Scotland it is called "tablet". I haven't made any for years because I can't resist it. I also do like cocoa dusted plain chocolate truffles, which I make occasionally. I might eat one per day if I've made them for guests, but they freeze beautifully.
    At the moment we have a box of the Guylain seashell pralines, which DH bought. :o Last night I had two, but I didn't have any cheese to compensate.

Ah yes, truffles ... thanks for reminding me. I'm doing the Christmas food shop tomorrow.

On the list:

-- Halvah - I wonder how many include halvah in their Christmas food collections. :grin: This tradition came to me from my great grandfather, and I've had halvah at Christmas ever since I was a little girl.

-- Truffles - of course!

-- Tea - I found some orange-chocolate tea last year that I'd like to get again.

-- Salted caramel spread - found this at Christmas last year, and hope it is available again this year.

-- Mandarins - if I can find them. I was really surprised to find some the other day because they aren't in season right now.

I got my Pav Egg on Tuesday, so I'll also have to get some cream and frozen fruit, but that might wait till Sunday.

I'm debating whether to buy some shortbread cookies or make some ... or both. Shortbread cookies are our only Christmas cookie, and Walkers is the brand ... :)

walkers-shortbread-500g-box-601225.jpg

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Over the past few days I have submitted approximately 200 photos to a stock photo house. Over 100 have been approved and 20 of them I’ve been approved as “premium“ items. Obviously now someone would have to want to license them through the stock company but just submitting and being approved is such a huge step for me.

Tho for some reason this makes me very nervous and upsets my stomach. If I weren’t dieting I would eat a peppermint candy to quiet the butterflies. I’m off to see if I have some peppermint tea with my many herbal teas.

Congratulations!! I haven't been brave enough to even try to do anything with photography aside from posting on Flickr or in the occasional online contest.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Well DH's surgery got cancelled yesterday. After we had checked in at admitting and sat in the waiting area for a while the doctor came in and said they had had some contamination in the OR and it was supposed to be cleaned up in 1 hour but it had now been 3 hours and they were still unable to use the room. He gave DH the choice of staying and possibly having the surgery at 9:00 pm or after or rescheduling for Thursday at 1:30 pm. I know I would not want a tired frustrated doc operating on me with staff he is unfamiliar with. Besides since my DH is post polio this is not a routine knee replacement. He elected to put it off to tomorrow so we will try this again.

I got to the YM today for water exercise and have been doing well with eating this holiday season. I think it helps to not be working and having people bringing in all kinds of things. I have our choir party to go to and I think I will borrow Michele's idea for fruit and cheese tree to take. Thanks Michele.

Karen - Sorry for your loss.

Pip - Yes Archie's is still in Seattle, Wallingford actually. The rubber chicken is one of their trademark items. My DD works at their warehouse.

Everyone take care, Sue in very chilly WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I'm looking across my frosty yard to the frosty beach on an island just across from us and thinking about you in the luxury of summer. It sounds wonderful! :bigsmile: Three cheers for gardeners and housekeepers. It is worth looking around to see whether you can find someone. Our townhouse association employs gardeners but we probably won't be seeing much of them until early spring. We found a housekeeper. She comes twice a month and it is wonderful. She would like to be here weekly, but we can't afford that much help. :ohwell: Your desk area is very cheery.

Thanks!

Our Decembers here are about half summer, half winter. It's like 3 days of cold, rain and perhaps even snow at higher elevations, and then 3 days of 30C ... then back to cool again ... then hot ... then ...
    You can't actually plan weather-related activities very well in December here, you just never know what you'll get!! :lol: January is a little more settled.

Our new gardener guy will vary what he does depending on the season ... in the winter, the grass doesn't grow (much) so we'll probably see less of him. But come spring, it doesn't take long for the place to look like a jungle.

I might have to find out if a housekeeping service would be OK coming just once a month. We really wouldn't need more than that.

KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- Were you the one looking for a soft gingerbread recipe? I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook and I use that gingerbread recipe. I cut the gingerbread men at about 1/4 in thickness. They stay wonderfully soft for a few days. And if you want a gingerbread BREAD or MUFFIN, you could probably just use a regular fruit bread or muffin recipe and sub the molasses for the fruit and add the ginger, cloves, nutmeg, etc. I used to make gingerbread men and gingerbread houses with my daycare kids; then I found out that it is a great laxative. :s So...because I can only stomach so many messy diapers in a day, we do sugar cookies now.

Yes, I am toying with the idea of doing a small batch of ginger bread of some sort. I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet. But more like gingerbread men than muffins.

And yes, ginger is a bit of a laxative. :) I use ginger tablets to settle my stomach when we travel or when I get nauseated with my hot flashes. They're great ... but they do get things moving.

M in Oz
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Quick Fudge:

Ingredients
    1 lb Confectioner's (powdered) Sugar
    1/2 Cup Cocoa
    1/4 tsp Salt
    6 Tbsp Butter
    4 Tbsp Whole Milk
    1 Tbsp Vanilla extract

Directions
    In top of double boiler, place over simmering water and stir till smooth and shiny. Spread quickly in buttered 9 x 12 inch loaf pan and cool.

—————————-
    Rye’s 40+ years of fudge making tips

Must be whole milk, skim wont do - it doesn’t seem to set right.

Warm butter and put in double boiler first. I usually put cut it into separate chunks 4 or 6.

This can be messy, stir very slowly til it melts together. It is VERY thick and hard to stir. Try to get out all lumps (I usually give up and the fudge has an occasional tiny white sugar lump but taste and consistency are not affected.)

If it melts into something easy to stir, more the consistency of icing then you need to thicken with extra sugar. If you needed a LOT more sugar throw in another tap cocoa too. I’m convinced the outside humidity has something to do with this problem as I never had it in Chicago and only have it sometimes now in TX. It could also be that this 50+ year old recipe was written when quality control for confectionery sugar was more strict.

I don’t bother with spreading it into a pan, it is so thick, I usually prepare a cookie tray with parchment paper. Then I spoon (largest spoon I have) the chocolate goo onto the parchment paper. I leave it on very low heat while I do this because the fudge starts to solidify as soon as it is away from heat.

We usually just go rustic and break off pieces of fudge. But if cutting into more uniform sizes use Pam on the cutting knife, it helps. Wait til cool before cutting.!

Optional tips: sprinkle top of fudge with Kosher salt or crushed candy cane peppermint. If this is your first batch, try some of the fudge plain and some with the top sprinkled to compare.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    evening again ladies~ since I napped I cant go back to sleep , am sneezing my fool head off..
    I was supposed to go out with my friend Doris tomorrow, but 1 the weather is going to me yucky in the am, and 2 I dont want to give her the cold.... so I will sleep in in the morning, and walk the dogs, then do some shopping that just needs to get done, and then come home.. have to get the place together as the girls are coming friday night... they dont want me over doing as the know my financial situation,,, but have some things I can put together no problem.... but will definatly be getting some nyquil...always happens when you have the most to do grrrrr
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.22min, 142mhr, 12.1amph. 1.4mi= 89c
    apple watch- didn't turn on
    SPIN *new bike*- 48min, 88ar, 109aw, 134mhr, no gear gage, 123ahr, 12mi = 379c
    apple watch- 350c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.33min, 13.1amph, 131mhr, 1.4mi= 82c
    apple watch- 58c
    RIDE BIKE PUY 2 SUMN STA- 15.54min, 147mhr, 11.5amph, 3mi= 158c
    apple watch- 114c
    walk sta 2 wk- 8.36min, 120mhr, 3.6ap., .5mi= 58c
    apple watch- 51c
    ride wk 2 sta- 4.50min, 9.24min mi, 156mhr, .5mi = 73c
    Apple Watch-61c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.52min, 8.1amph 154mhr, 2.5mi = 200c
    Apple Watch- 159c

total cal 1039
  • pipcd34
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Hi all: Well DH's surgery got cancelled yesterday. After we had checked in at admitting and sat in the waiting area for a while the doctor came in and said they had had some contamination in the OR and it was supposed to be cleaned up in 1 hour but it had now been 3 hours and they were still unable to use the room. He gave DH the choice of staying and possibly having the surgery at 9:00 pm or after or rescheduling for Thursday at 1:30 pm. I know I would not want a tired frustrated doc operating on me with staff he is unfamiliar with. Besides since my DH is post polio this is not a routine knee replacement. He elected to put it off to tomorrow so we will try this again.

I got to the YM today for water exercise and have been doing well with eating this holiday season. I think it helps to not be working and having people bringing in all kinds of things. I have our choir party to go to and I think I will borrow Michele's idea for fruit and cheese tree to take. Thanks Michele.

Karen - Sorry for your loss.

Pip - Yes Archie's is still in Seattle, Wallingford actually. The rubber chicken is one of their trademark items. My DD works at their warehouse.

Everyone take care, Sue in very chilly WA

yup Wallingford. we go have breakfast at the dock in Fremont where we met and pass by Archie's when we are going to get on 1-5 to go home
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lenny was a drummer, had to have it
    fdjxmidg7kt8.jpeg
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I'm many, many pages behind and won't pretend that I will catch up. It's been extremely rough in my neck of the woods.

Last Monday I found out that man that I had a 15 years relationship with died suddenly of a heart attack. Although we split over three years ago, I have fond memories of our time together. He was a big influence on my life. I'm still trying to process all of this, he had just turned 49, much too young.

On Sunday evening I missed the last stair in my house and fell, hard. I tore ligaments in my left ankle and am now sporting a very stylish boot and crutches.

So here I sit, and sit, and sit. My wonderful friends have dropped off dinners, cooking is so difficult on crutches. Unfortunately I can feel the weight creeping up. Lack of exercise has also made me stiff and sore. I hope to be on both my feet in a few weeks.

Love and hugs to all.

Chris in MA
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Terry – I loved the Gnome tutorial – I have been told I need to bring gifts to just the kids at the Christmas gathering I am going to – so I will be one of 11 bringing gifts to 3 spoiled children…and the cut off between kid and adult in this group is 16 so on the day you turn 16 you are no longer a kid; so the 15 year old will get 11 gifts and the 16 year old will have to buy 3 gifts and will get nothing…I’m thinking 11 gnomes each with the person’s name on it… What are they going to do if I don’t play by the rules--- send me home????

Katla – ok that is a new one on me… the sides fall in – OH I bet they are not sealed at the top, how/what do you do around the top edge of the crust?

Karen – he looks like an interesting delightful man… (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Smiles

Kim from N. California

Please post pics of your gnomes. I’d love to see what you did.

Terry
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I'm many, many pages behind and won't pretend that I will catch up. It's been extremely rough in my neck of the woods.

Last Monday I found out that man that I had a 15 years relationship with died suddenly of a heart attack. Although we split over three years ago, I have fond memories of our time together. He was a big influence on my life. I'm still trying to process all of this, he had just turned 49, much too young.

On Sunday evening I missed the last stair in my house and fell, hard. I tore ligaments in my left ankle and am now sporting a very stylish boot and crutches.

So here I sit, and sit, and sit. My wonderful friends have dropped off dinners, cooking is so difficult on crutches. Unfortunately I can feel the weight creeping up. Lack of exercise has also made me stiff and sore. I hope to be on both my feet in a few weeks.

Love and hugs to all.

Chris in MA

Oh no! And right before the holidays. I’m so sorry to hear you feel. How nice that people are bringing you food. Take it easy and let your body heal. (((Hugs)))

Terry
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Love and hugs to all.

Chris in MA

Chris (HUGS)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :'(Chris, sorry to hear about your fall and your need to stay off your feet.

:'(Sue, sorry to hear about the postponement of your DH's surgery..at least it will be soon.

:) Jake and I went to a holiday party where I drank a bottle of water and ate a few grapes and two small pieces of cheese. I was pleasant to the woman who kept encouraging me to eat more. We enjoyed a bit of conversation and left to come home for our afternoon nap with the pets.

Stats for today:
    *17,000 steps
    *197 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *77 minutes riding the exercise bike
    *line dance class

<3 Barbie from ever darkening NW Washington