WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Machka - The much loved mandarins - yummy! My Mom and Aunt used to go halves on a case. We all used to get 1-2 in our stockings. Such a special treat.
    I see you picked fruit in BC . Did you ever pick grapes? My friend convinced me it would be fun to pick grapes for ice wine in the Okanogan. It was not.

Meg - 6.3 for your A1C is a good number. Keep up the good work.

Yvonne - Sending hugs for your Dad.

Rye - Success is sometimes hard to deal with. So happy for you, congratulations.

Katla - It was my Dear Sister who turned 60 although Dear is not the word I am using for her today.
    I am glad that your toe is healing. At this rate you will be running races and jumping on Arrow's back in no time.

Karen in Virginia - Some people just leave a void in our lives. I am sorry for your loss.

Chris - Sending hugs. 49 is so very young.
    I'm sorry you are in pain but glad that people are showing you that they care.

KJ- Not going to lie, I just got a little weepy reading about you and your son. How sweet that he insists on your tradition. Give that boy a hug.

Not sure who was talking about cooking a goose. I am not a fan although I can cook it quite will. I like my turkey for Christmas. Most of the money that Mom had for Christmas came from the turkeys she custom raised for people. One man ordered a 40 lb turkey for Christmas. She told him she wasn't sure but got one that was 37 lbs. The man had a very large family to feed.
    We had Christmas crackers once when my Aunt Lyla made them out of empty toilet paper rolls and crepe paper. They were fun but none of us much cared for the ribbon candy.

Shipped off the parcel to our son in Vancouver. I was not allowed to include Holly's present. It is so different now. I dread Christmas morning for both of them this year. I need to get her present sent off. She will be the one waking to an empty house this year. My heart hurts for all of them.

Invited my sister for lunch and shopping. Her response "Why the f**k would I want to do that?" Why do I keep doing this to myself? A bit ago I asked if she would be interested in going to Dwight Yoakim when he comes here "that loser. No one wants to hear his music" He is not my very favourite entertainer but he is coming here and I think his millions of fans would beg to differ with her. I keep trying to find some common interest, activity, anything to connect with her. Today she told me to come to her house for coffee instead. I actually only have so much time to get everything done and very little energy to accomplish it so I declined and then I felt guilty. Is there something wrong with me? Maybe she doesn't like me that much. Bitter pill to swallow and as much as I say I will quit inviting her we all know I probably won't. Brother time is coming soon. We will play games, laugh, listen to music and appreciate each other. I am blessed in the brother department. "There's a silver lining"

I picked myself up, dusted myself off and spent the day with one of my favourite people -Me. I was able to get some quality art supplies for DD for a reasonable price thanks to a good friend and her magical discount. I was also able to cross off items for our son, son-in-law, DDIL. Now to find something special for Margaret and stuffers for DH. I actually enjoyed shopping today.

We went out for pizza tonight. I felt queasy after the 2nd piece. We crossed the street to go to Harmony's Christmas concert. That school puts on the best concerts. It's not boring and they keep it moving and try not to run much over an hour. I had forgotten how beautiful the United Church was. Larry was very taken with the wood work. The acoustics are great in there which is why it gets used for so many music festivals. Harmony was our sweet little star. She sang her little heart out and did a bit of tap dancing that wasn't in the script. She loves the stage! I feel bad that Keira has a conflict so will not be seeing her in a Christmas concert this year. Poor thing has been practicing her songs so much and now she has to forego it because it is on the same night as her dance performance. Jheri did give her a choice and just like her Mom she picked dance. I think she will always pick dance.

Sorry for running on so
    -Sharon in Lethbridge where they are calling for snow.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Machka - The much loved mandarins - yummy! My Mom and Aunt used to go halves on a case. We all used to get 1-2 in our stockings. Such a special treat.
    I see you picked fruit in BC . Did you ever pick grapes? My friend convinced me it would be fun to pick grapes for ice wine in the Okanogan. It was not.

We had Christmas crackers once when my Aunt Lyla made them out of empty toilet paper rolls and crepe paper. They were fun but none of us much cared for the ribbon candy.

I used to pick raspberries ... several summers. :) Love them, but haven't had them in a long time.

I remember ribbon candy. My great grandmother always had some around and it looked so good ... but just never lived up to the way it looked. It wasn't one of my favourites either.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Dec 1 - 1.6 km walking (20 min) + 4 flights of 20 stairs (3 min)
    Dec 2 - 7 km running (56 min) ... 45 min running + 11 min walking to warm up and cool down
    Dec 3 - 9.5 km cycling indoors (30 min) + 6.25 km rowing (40 min)
    Dec 4 - 5.2 km walking (65 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min)
    Dec 5 - 6.5 km walking (85 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min)
    Dec 6 - 5.2 km walking (65 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min) + 15 min of weightlifting
    Dec 7 - 2.5 km running (25 min) + 2.9 km walking (40 min) + 6.33 km cycling indoors (20 min) + 20 flights of stairs (16 min) + 12 min of weightlifting
    Dec 8 - 3.6 km walking (45 min) + 16 flights of stairs (12 min)
    Dec 9 - 5 km running (38 min) ... first 5 km run!!! :):)
    Dec 10 - 161 km cycling (531 min) ... December Century. That's 12! One century for each month. This was a tough one!!
    Dec 11 - 2.9 km walking (36 min)
    Dec 12 - 4 km walking (50 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min)

Dec 13 - 9.5 km walking (118 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min)

Dec 14 - 7.2 km walking (90 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min)

Dec 15 - 6 km walking (75 min) + 12 flights of stairs (9 min)

2017 Monthly December
    Walking Distance (km): 69.1
    Walking Time (min): 807.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 176.8
    Cycling Time (min): 581.0
    Stairs Climbed Number: 120.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 96.0
    Other Distance: 8.5
    Other Time: 83.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 254.4
    Total Distance (miles): 158.1
    Total Time (min): 1567.7
    Total Time (hr): 26:07:44
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! I can't believe we are 10 days away from Christmas! I have a list of things that need to get done yet, I just have to go through and prioritize the list. The majority of it is getting ready for next Friday's daycare Holiday Party. Putting together the family gifts for my kiddos, shopping for a couple of special crafts. The LaMore Christmas party is this weekend at the center where my MIL is staying. There will be 40-45 in attendance. I was going to make a nice chocolate Christmas cake; but I think I am going to buy one instead. (less work) So...tonight I will sit down and make my grocery/craft supply list and prioritize that to do list. If I can get all of that shopped for and put together on Saturday; that will leave Sunday to do some food prep for meals next week and relax a bit before the family party. Whew! I can relax next week, right?

Janice- Welcome! Many of the women on this thread will have ideas of how to help you fight the cravings and get through the depression/blues. I found this group almost two years ago and they are a godsend!
    ChrisF48- Welcome and happy holidays back to you!
    Barbie- Words that come into my mind for 2018 are strength and resilience. For me, I am thinking of using resilience for my "word" to chew on, motivate me, meditate on in 2018.

re·sil·ience

1.the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.

2.the ability of a substance or object to spring back into shape; elasticity.

Suebdew, Cathy, Rey, Re and any other DFW TX area women- DH and I will begin our drive from Michigan on the Thursday after Christmas. We plan to arrive at DD's place (south of FW) on Friday evening. We will spend the weekend hanging with the family, but I would like to meet with as many of you as can make it to downtown Fort Worth on a weekday morning or afternoon. It would be either Tuesday or Wednesday (Jan.2 or 3) It would be a great way to start the new year to meet up with some of you!!

Well, I need to get breakfast fixed for the kids. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I picked myself up, dusted myself off and spent the day with one of my favourite people -Me.

Sorry for running on so
    -Sharon in Lethbridge where they are calling for snow.

This gave me a huge smile for you Sharon! And I love your newsy posts, you are a quite engaging writer!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies -

Welcome to the newcomers!

For easy creamy fudge, one can of sweetened condensed milk, one bag of chocolate chips, a splash of vanilla. Melt chips and condensed milk in microwave, stir in vanilla to taste and pour in pan. You can use peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, whatever you want. You can add nuts if desired. I never made it this way, but my Dad did every year. I always did the stove top marshmallow creme fudge with the candy thermometer.

I am having a flare up of my TMJ so eating/chewing has been difficult. Yesterday was bad enough that all I had was yogurt and pureed soup. Oh, and a Fannie May Mint Meltaway, it was GOOD. I have an appt with the oral surgeon on the 21st. Hopefully a couple of days of muscle relaxers will do the trick. It always has in the past. I haven't had this much pain in 20+ years.

I was down a lb this morning. I also did measurements and I'm down everywhere from last month so progress continues. Yeah!

I better get started around the house. I've got my rings closed (on my Apple watch) so I can go about my regularly scheduled day now and continue cleaning in the closet. I also need to run a couple of errands but that will wait for daylight.

Have a great day everyone!
    Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Janice - WELCOME! You have a lot to deal with, not the least the shock of losing 100 lbs, which takes a bit of adjustment in your head, I'm sure. <3 Please stick with us for support and understanding.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just lying in bed getting caught up on posts.

Sharon, I understand how you feel by not being able to connect with your sister. My sister is a walking time bomb and I never would know what reaction I would get to anything I’d say. Once my mom died I cut her out of my life. She once backed my mom up against the stove and when my dad came in and said something to her she had him on the floor telling him she would kill him if he got up. This is just one example of her. So I chose my family and decided I just didn’t want her around me. I feel bad as my mom wanted me to stay in touch once she died. But I just can’t do it. She has a daughter with 3 kids who has also done something things that are inexcusable too. It was my mom and dad that pretty much raised her and adored her kids. It’s sad that it has turned out this way. Funny thing is my cousin and his sister are the same way. Not sure what happened in our family that relationships with sisters just don’t work. I wish he was closer so we could have holidays together. Oh well, that’s the hand I was given so doing the best with what I have. I so thankful for the DD and DH I have. They are both wonderful loving people.

Well better get my buns in gear if I’m going to get the cleaning done. Figure it will take twice the time with one hand in a cast.

Have a great day today!

Terry in VT
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :)Kelly, my husband mentioned resilience as a possible word for him for 2018. Tenacity was another suggestion. I like having a theme for the year.

:)Janice, welcome. If you keep reading, you'll find that you have a lot in common with others on this thread and will begin to feel part of the community.

:'( My only sibling died young. We were close in age but she was quite self centered. Her mottoes seemed to be "Never do for yourself what someone else and can do for you" and "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story". There was a time in my life when I thought I wished for more family. Now I am grateful daily that Jake is my only family and I am spared the drama.

:| Yesterday I heard Jake tell his out of state friend about me, that I am healthy and happy and that I don't walk so much as I used to and have gained some weight and look much better. He was so happy about that. I, on the other hand, wish I had more time to walk and would like to be down a few pounds.

:)<3 Barbie in drizzly NW Washington
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Before I forget.... MARY -- did you decide to take the teaching job? Is your DH working now too? That was so neat how the stars lined up with the interviews for both of you last week. B)

Rye - Thank you for sharing the sweetheart photos! I do think black cats are good luck - our shop kitty is black and she knows she's invisible at night. And I wanted to say congrats on the photos being chosen. You are super talented!! How is the job coming along?

Okie - sorry to hear about the TMJ. Hope the muscle relaxers do the trick. That fudge recipe sounds great.

Sharon
    - I always enjoy hearing your news. Hope your work isn't too crazy crazy! Only ten more days until Christmas!

Terry - thank you for the interactive Christmas/Hanukkah cards. I always loved those and am tickled when one comes my way.

Machka
    - your stuffed animal collection is so cute! How about I send our puppy over to help you arrange them, lol. She's actually been good at not tearing up the couple she has. Gets them slobbery though. :#

Katla - leave it up to technology to pull some quirks like the texting "share". Onward and upward.

Regarding Amazon's delivery snafu's at Christmas time. Last year I ordered a set of ceramic skillets, got the email from them that they'd be delivered on such and such a day. Well, that day came and went so I went online and it said the box had been dropped off on our doorstep. It hadn't - DH hears every vehicle that pulls into the driveway. It had been several days since the supposed delivery, no neighbor came to the door with our package, so I figured it was stuck on a shelf in the post office or fell off the truck.

I finally was able to find a way to chat with Amazon. So frustrating...at the time there was no phone number or email available. It was maddening to try to report this. :s

Anyhow, finally did make connections and the customer service rep apologized and sent out another set of the skillets which arrived quickly. About a week later our next door neighbor came over with the package. Evidently it had been left at his house, stuck in a spot he rarely looks beside the front porch and he finally noticed it.

So thanks to Amazon I have a spare set of skillets, lol. B)

Looks like our rain is returning - not heavy, just enough to clean the air and give us some nights in the upper 30's.
    I went by the western store yesterday and bought myself a Christmas present - a crushable water-resistant wool Stetson. So I'll try it out on my walk today.

Welcome new ladies! Stop in often!! Join in when you feel like it so we can get to know you better!

Better get going for now.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lanette I’d love to see you in the Stetson! Wonderful gift to self!

My job is good, the rehab center where I work is connected to my gym, so no good excuses for not swimming left - lol! (Both are in same hospital center). The amazing thing is working with nice people! Most of my working days were spent in law firms, and generally ( with notable exceptions) these were not full of nice people.

Sweetheart is doing nicely right now, the Texas days are usually warming up onto the 60’s so we turn off the Sweet Home heat in the day. I don’t think Sweetheart spends much daytime in the home anyway, unless it is raining. My cats occasionally park themselves in the windows overlooking the yard and watch Sweetheart closely- lol. None of my current cats want outside but they are not sure they want Sweetheart out there either.

Lol.

Had lots of sleep troubles last night and rose at 5:45. Now I’m falling asleep in this chair, so I’m thinking of a nap. Oy vey!

Rye
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbie I have been thinking about the simple lifestyle you have chosen, and realize how complicated mine is by comparison. For example, I am sometimes profoundly affected and saddened by the daily news. I don't think it really helps me to know everything that goes on in the world. It often makes me anxious and sad, but I can't stand not knowing what is going on. I am not sure how to change that. What choices have you (and others) made?

Thanks,

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Becca - Thanks so much for the Christmas music laugh. I'm going to screenshot it and save it. I might use it as an email card for a couple of suitable people!

Karen - I do try to simplify my life wherever possible. In order to write my books I have always had to be sparing with commitments. I hate to get frazzled and overwhelmed and need space between commitments. I need a lot of "down time". I know my limitations and I am good at saying no. It does mean I lead a somewhat "underpowered" life, but stress does not suit me. I can be the life and soul of the party for a short while, but then I need to get back in my shell. I think it is important to know yourself. As for the news, I do keep in touch with what is going on, but try not to dwell on things I cannot change. The serenity prayer comes to mind. I do prefer these days not to watch films and programmes with gratuitous violence, and/or nasty people in them. We have given up all "soaps". I will watch a drama if it is well written and I trust the writer to have their heart in the right place. We don't watch a lot things on TV if we think they have the wrong values.
    Balance is a very good word for 2018. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    good mid morning here from Connecticut.. we are supposed to get snow tonight and the girls are coming over ... hope they still do... they are literally 5 min away from work. picked up puppy food, did a small grocery shop as I hadnt shopped in a month and got some stuff for this evening and some stuff to have at Toms ,brought that over there, and have the crate set up on a shower curtain where he will be safe over there when I am not there.. have picked up a bit but need to dust, vacume and scrub the bathroom and make some brownies for tonight... they are brining there favorite wines.. and we will get pizza and maybe salad... order it from down the street and have them deliver...then have to be at Toms 4 am tomorrow to take him to Airport..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sharon in Lethbridge: Thanks for your encouragement. I remember a number of TV shows where men vaulted onto the bare back of a horse. I don't plan to ever do that for the sake of my health and the horse's back. It sure looks neat, though. I saw Indian Relay Racing at the Pendleton Round Up a few years ago. One rider from each of three tribes took three laps of the arena, one lap on each of three different horses. The man who won was from the local tribe and was amazing. He was off of one horse, had one foot on the ground, and was on the next horse. It was almost like watching ballet moves or very tall Olympic hurdles. He had a couple of helpers who managed the horses and had them set up for easy mounting. It is a wonderful memory. :star: --(but not a personal goal) :laugh:

Janice in Kansas: Welcome! :bigsmile:

Okie in the TX Hill Country: Your fudge recipe sounds just like what my mom used to make. What a wonderful memory. You inspired me to look for it, and I found her recipe. :heart:

Machka: I love the stuffed animal collection! :bigsmile:

Barbie: I'd like to be down a few pounds, too. Injuries make life a bit more challenging for those of us who need to move more in order to hold our weight where we want it. I have work to do. :ohwell:

Lanette: Amazon has set up a series of "fulfillment centers" and the one nearest to us in Hillsboro or Beaverton. So far their service is a disaster. UPS wins this contest for reliability and service and so does USPS. :grumble:

Karen in VA: I watch the local news from the Portland stations, but not the National News. It is too depressing and tends to make me angry. It is not useful in my life. I also watch the Weather Channel regularly. :flowerforyou:

Allie: I am amazed and impressed with how well you are working with Tom to take care of the dogs. WTG!!! :star:

I am planning to go to Yoga this morning. Friday is my favorite teacher's day. After that, I'm thinikng about trying to put on regular shoes. If I can get my riding boots on, I can go out and spend time with Arrow. So far, that hasn't been a reasonable possibility.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    OK Pip, I just shivered! I remember seeing a bug like that in Japan, about 3 inches long, but was poisonous! It was in my bathroom, and when husband was out to sea! I had a hard time showering because I was looking all over like a crazy person!

Becca
    Oregon
    Your bug is nicer looking than my bug was.....

that wasn't a bug, it was a fish