WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Olivia dressed in Red and reaching for the red guitar with a wonderful smile... has me smiling. She is so photogenic. She is totally gorgeous.

Gals, thanks for sharing about hair. Enjoyed the information and I've decided hair is whatever it wants to be on my head. :-) I wear it chin length in a straight cut because it doesn't seem quite so wild. It was long but as the new hair comes in curly, I couldn't do anything but tie it back. This length is easier and it has less length to frizz. :-)

Barbi, so glad Jake is home from his appointment and Happy Early Anniversary.

Yoga today and long long walk with Ella, who will be two years old at the end of the month.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Heather, I normally do plan dinner ahead of time and have something quick to heat and eat, but the wheels did fall off the bus a bit this past week. I'm not going to beat myself up about it, it happened, I'm moving on. And every once in awhile, I really do enjoy pizza!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    e1elw0ymm3hi.jpeg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Just came back from watching “The Post”. Really good movie, well done, interesting, perhaps a little preachy in Spielberg style but engaging. If you like history pics this is a good one!

Still wanting to go see “Darkest Hour” but that will have to wait.

NYKAREN
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katie - My utility room area won't ever look that neat; but, it will look neat - for me ... when it gets done. Sister is coming down the 26th and I have decided that I will wait on the kitchen until she gets here. She and Tommy will be spending the night. I've got a big stack started on things to donate to Goodwill. I told her if she could find someone who would give me some money on my pressure cooker, it would be gone. I don't think I like it nearly as much as I thought I would. Like someone else, I think I get more good out of using my crockpot. I just need to get rid of my first one I had, and only use the one that the dish will pop comes out for cleaning. I have (or had) a small one (if I did not give it to Taylor) that would be just the right size for Louis and me.

Heather - Your son and his lady look very happy. I know that will make you worry about him a lot less. I know before Will met and fell in love with Tami, we worried about him and working so hard and being alone when he came home. He and Tami still look at things through 'newly-wed eyes' and they will have been married 3 years in May (hard to believe). Where does time go? It is hard to believe that Madison is a junior in HS. Seems like just yesterday she was in 'middle school'. Emilee has gotten so tall that I really think she is going to be the tallest one of the 3. Of course, it won't take much to be 'taller' than the other 2. She has gotten so 'grown-up acting'.

I love the pictures of the pottery-ware. I love pieces like that. I gave my sister a bowl that I had bought for Mimi one Christmas. It was beautiful and she wanted it and I told her that I had bought it for Mimi but that she could have it, since I told her who I had purchased it for and that I knew she would cherish it as much as I had. One of the things we are going to go through will be to purge my china cabinet of any glassware that is not considered 'fine' crystal that I got either as wedding presents or through inheritance. I know I have some that are taking up space and I could use it to put some 'fine' crystal in its place.

I am feeling really good about my computer area. The drawers in the desk as well as the filing cabinets will be the last thing I tackle and will do only 1 drawer or a few file folders at a time. Like my dresser in the bedroom the sides of the drawers need to be sanded down so they won't stick. I need handles on the drawers as well. It has wooden handles that are nailed on and I have already pulled one off. That I can do after Suzanne stops coming down. That is more a personal decision. I need to put what is my stuff in my 2-drawer cabinet; and, all of Louis' stuff and household stuff in the 4-drawer one.

Kitchen is going to be a real bugger to purge. But, one thing is for sure ... there will be a lot going away. I just hate that Louis and I decided on getting 'corner' cabinets top and bottom - they at NOT space saving insofar as being something to help you utilize the cabinet space. Way too deep to reach anything up top without a ladder; and the Lazy Susan in the bottom is a pain because things continue dropping off it. Then, there is so much 'wasted' space when you do have it.

Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend.

Lenora
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Rye, you are looking good, girl!

I spent my spring break helping my sister declutter and organize one year. It looked so good when we were done. I did not make her throw anything away. We discussed everything: why do you like this? Why is it important to you? If it mattered to her, I found a way to incorporate it. She actually has a much better sense of style and appreciation for things than I do. She is just a pack rat and tends to let her clutter overtake the important things. Sometimes it just takes another person to talk it over with. We did make 3 trips to goodwill and had her trash cans overflowing on pickup day.

I have my areas of struggle and clutter magnet places, too. My “nest” by my recliner, my office, and at times the kitchen table, can get overrun with ongoing projects. I just don’t post pictures of those. LOL. I also have my sentimental things that I can’t let go of. One for a while was my MIL’s old rolling pin with red wooden handles. Finally, after one of the handles got too loose to make it practical, I let it go. I still have his grandmother’s and her bread tray displayed decoratively. They don’t get used nor does her wooden spoon. So, although I like things neat and tidy, I am not a minimalist by any stretch of the imagination.

I actually envy you and Barbie but know I could never be that way. An exercise bike, treadmill, or elliptical in my little house would make me have an anxiety attack. I do have exercise videos, resistance bands, and weights, all tucked away neatly out of sight when not in use. I love reading about how different we all are. It makes us an interesting group.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Rye I hear you. I am trying to organize Christmas stuff right now as I put it away. I started a week ago. I slowly put it out and slowly put it away. MLK day is a day I push to have all indoor stuff away. I did find a Sebastian ornament I plan to give to a friend who has a grandson named Sebastian. I just got rid of some lights that are not LED's too. There is a place I can take them to be recycled. For me it is Baby Steps.
    I am making a Goodwill bag for the fall. I know they don't care to get Christmas things this time of year.
    Rye WOW you look great!!!

Katie impressed. I did chuckle when you told me the story of the switch. I can picture Dave just waiting for you to figure it out.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Hubba hubba! You have a very good-looking man in your life. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Apple Watch only, stat for the day:

spin class- 50min, 86ar, 112aw, 134ahr, 12.6mi= 361c
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Rye, you look awesome!!
    Katie, I admire your organization skills! I'm working on mine...... lol
    Hubby and I are both pack rats, so it makes for some crowded spaces. I am working on trying to get rid of some stuff, have a big pile of linens that are going to go in the garbage, they're not very nice looking anymore, and I have a few quilt covers for quilts that I no longer own. Not sure why I still have them, the fabric isn't anything special, so out they go. I have decided that I need to do something organizational every day. It doesn't have to be a big project, just something to create less clutter. I have taken all of the Christmas stuff down and the linens and wall hangings are put away, but I am taking my time with the decorations as my plan is to get rid of more of them. I have a lot of mini lights that I just don't need. I would like to put them up around the tops of the walls, but I just don't want to mark up the new walls! So might as well get rid of the lights. It's too much of a pain putting them up and then taking them down a few weeks later anyway, so.... They do all still work, so will probably save them for next fall and give them to SallyAnn. I already have a couple of boxes started for them, one Christmas, one just stuff, need to start an electronics/electrical box too, finding a few things like that that can be recycled.
    Lenora, I had a heck of a time purging the kitchen, but I did it! I also did china cabinets (yes, I have two, mine and my moms). I got rid of a lot of ordinary glasses and mugs and moved my "good" glasses in for us to use everyday. No point in just having them sit in the cabinet, might as well enjoy them! There are still some that I won't put out for everyday, the ever so lovely wine glasses that were given to me as a gift by a dear friend. When we have wine (not very often) I will use them, but otherwise they just sit in the cabinet looking pretty. I've also started using the bone china, might as well enjoy it too!
    Work calls, must go!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    :/
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    About to climb on Exercycle my DH snapped my pic this morning. o9iqt6f2rujj.png
    Like my mother before me, my living room is a sitting room. We do not have a TV in our home’s main room (the living room dining room combo). Our Tv, husband’s recliner, a small love seat, our Exercycle and my rebounder are all stuffed into the den just off the kitchen. The den is not intended for socializing, just to house us with the cats. Currently in the den there is no where to sit but the Exercycle and DH recliner as the love seat is covered with round cat beds full of cats.

I desperately need someone to help me declutter and or eliminate stuff. Someone who could help me organize would be welcome. I am incapable of eliminating the clutter. The few items I did mark for goodwill donations my DH overruled this weekend. I know I’ll always have a lot of stuff but right now I also know we need to get rid of a good portion of it.

I made jello ( sugar free) today, might be the first time in a decade. I’ll make a steak for DH and I to share tonight and I think jello will make a good desert. I’ll have some spinach and feta with the steak and maybe even a Bloody Mary. Or maybe a virgin Bloody Mary. We will see.

I did go to Goodwill - I donated a bunch of my mother’s clothes. Her clothes were very good quality and well taken care of but they are now 2 sizes too big for me and I do not plan on being that big again. I still have all her scarfs and coats and will probably use them until I pass away. The coats are a bit big, but I like them that way. My fashion conscious niece would just tut tut at me. Lol

My husband has lain down for a nap and I’m a bit weary today, so I think I’m going to make a pot of coffee now. Don’t hate me, but I’m one of those types that can drink coffee morning, noon, and night with no ill effects. So was my mother until she was about 70 years old.

Yet I sit here and keep typing. I know myself well enough to know there is something I’m avoiding ... just not sure what it is. My temperament today is watchful and uneasy. But I can’t put my finger on the root cause.

Hope your weekend is going well!

Rye

lookin good gurlfriend!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: Hubba hubba! You have a very good-looking man in your life. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

yup, hubba hubby indeed
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the nice comments regarding my before and after pictures.

I worked out for an hour today with a focus on flexibility.

Quiet weekend here, the grandkids have the flu, so I won’t be able to visit with them until next week.

Rye, you look great!

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    Rye - you look FABULOUS! Very inspirational!! Great job! I am more successful at chucking stuff when my DH is unaware of it. I take advantage of his nap times (and there are usually plenty) to pack Good will things into my car when he's not looking. He's more sentimental over MY family stuff than I am. I like the idea of opening a box of items ( haven't looked at in years, or a drawer and picking out a couple to "save" and finding new homes for the rest - either Goodwill or a dumpster. That's my dream anyhow.

Katiebug
    - you inspired me to grab the broom! Dave switching labels sounds like something my DH would do, lol. Have you ever thought of becoming a decluttering consultant? Very good job helping your sister and I think you are right - a fresh set of eyes helps with making decisions.

Lenora
    - you go girl! Doesn't it feel good to get things straightened up and cleaned out? And Evie - way to go using the "good" glasses - I know what you mean. What are we saving them for?

Kate - your story about your older friend who is having health problems and redoubling your efforts to keep up with the proper eating and exercise was good food for thought. This afternoon, I found out a gal that used to work for me passed away, she was 57. She was diabetic and had caught the flu - and yes, she had a flu shot. Don't know the particulars if it was complications from the flu or some other thing. Another reminder that we need to take care of ourselves!

Barbie - Happy Anniversary!! I like the idea of celebrating each day.

Katla
    - happy that you made it back to yoga! I know you've been missing it!

KJ - I too feel like we are sisters in this group... at least cousins, lol. I am so grateful I wandered into this forum. You guys have been the best!

My DH has had tummy troubles for the past few weeks. He finally told me today that MAYBE he should see his doctor. I volunteered to call the office and make an appointment and he said he'd take care of it. So we'll see. He has had some health scares in the past decade so I'm glad he's at least considering seeking help if he thinks it's something serious.

We had some warm sunshine today and should have another round tomorrow. It was nice to open windows for a little while and get some fresh air in the house.

Newbies - keep stopping in. I remember someone on this thread once said something to the effect that we're like the local bar. You can join in a group conversation, have a chat with one or two people, or just sit and listen. It's all good. Enjoy yourselves!

Have a wonderful evening ladies!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    <3Allie, listen to Lenora's advice (and that of others). Stop talking to Tom and giving him the opportunity to manipulate you. Let the lawyer take care of it.

:)Katla, there are probably several other winter sports that I'd enjoy watching, but, in the interest of moderation, I have to limit myself to one. How great that you are back to yoga. I know how sad I am when I miss my favorite classes.

<3Rita, one of my happiness commandments is "Don't take things personally". When my mother started telling me that I never called and wasn't there for her, I made a commitment to call her once a week (same day, same time) and wear my emotional kevlar vest so that whatever she said bounced off. I did that for many years My husband did the same thing with his mother (she lived to past 90).

:)Heather, You are so right that "Strategy is stronger than willpower". We have several "go to meals" that take little preparation so we're not lured into restaurants on busy days.

:)Rye, I found that the best way to start clearing things out was to start with what was totally my domain (clothing, sentimental items, papers, photos, family memorabilia, books) and stay away from anything that could be considered "joint".

:) Also, just like reading this thread inspires me to do better at eating and exercise, it has helped me to read books and listen to podcasts about living better with less to inspire me on a daily basis to rid my home of things that no longer add value to my life.

<3 Barbie
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I've been over-ruled before by Louis on some things I have tried to 'throw away'. I finally gave up on trying to throw away a perfectly good pillow that did not go with anything in the house. Might have been 'ok' on the porch; but, I have needlepoint pillows that my Mother made out there, so it went into the stack to be taken by Taylor. I told her that 'if' they did not want them, not to say anything, just take them off and chunk them in the nearest dumpster. I think as he has gotten older, Louis is less likely to want to get rid of anything. After a day with my sister here, I was chunking things by the baskets full in the bathroom. I first thought I had trashed my cream products that I bought from Taylor. I was pretty upset about it; but, did not blame her because I was the one who just turned the basket over into the trash bag. I found it a few days ago, inside a small pocketbook that I used to take my makeup when we went to Louisiana. I had already been looking for them.

Louis shot a big 10-pointer while they were out in Louisiana hunting with Will. They had their 'men only week' of hunting. Trey has not shot a deer out there in several years. He was hoping to get a doe, for the meat. They skinned out the deer and the meat will be donated to a local shelter. I told him that I have found a place for him to hang it up. Move 3 over a little closer to the kitchen, and hang him up between the last one and the wall hanging made out of the hammock my granddaddy tied while working on the ship's store while in the service. I agreed that a right-facing sneak pose would be great.

I'm by no means a 'minimalist' ... getting rid of things is hard for me; but, Suzanne keeps me focused on the reason to let go of something versus keeping something that isn't needed. She is a pro at this. I threw away 2 kitchen bags full of burnable stuff decluttering my computer area ... that is 1/2 of the utility room. I think Cracker thought she was next. LOL!!!!!

Well, need to build a fire. Don't have enough for but one tonight. That will be enough to last me until bedtime. Now, gotta go, time for me to turn off my electronics.

Lenora