WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have a question - what do you consider comfort food? Two questions I guess. For me comfort food is the meal I want when I’m feeling ill. Foods that bring my taste buds back to childhood and my mom’s cooking. To DH comfort food is what he considers the foods he reaches for when he is stressed or otherwise emotionally eating.

My I’m sick comfort food is beef (roast best, steak whatever) peas and jello. My emotional eating food is crunchy snacks - potato chips, pretzels, crackers etc.

What foods comfort you? (Illness recovery or emotionally)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,525 Member
    Options
    qm76gq99dqpz.jpg
    876m2neux01m.jpg
    yitni0g83dh1.jpg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rye - Wow what a hottie. Only in my dreams :). You should be very proud of yourself.

Janetr OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Options
    Made the banana chocolate chip muffins, have the chocolate pie in the refrigerator -- still have to put the pudding top on, now I'm making the HG donuts for Vince. Not sure if he'll be able to taste the pumpkin in them or not. You certainly don't think I'm going to tell him its in there, do you. Update: So far, so good, he hasn't said a word and I sure haven't even asked about it.

Allie - I guess now Tom can ask himself "was that affair worth it?" You know the saying "you play, you pay"

Heather - lovely pic of your son and his gf. Stunning cushions and tea bowls

Kate - how are you going to take the tumeric? Mix it in something. What?

drkatiebug - I wish you could come here, you and Vince would certainly have a run-off about organization! He can be so OCD about things being just so, I just let it roll off my shoulders a lot of times. He needs to have things done in a certain order. To me-- what's the big deal (about some things). I'd love for you to get together with him.

My comfort food when I'm stressed is carbs in like cookies or cake. Then I feel bad and wish I'd had a piece of fruit. Or else junk food

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I have a question - what do you consider comfort food? Two questions I guess. For me comfort food is the meal I want when I’m feeling ill. Foods that bring my taste buds back to childhood and my mom’s cooking. To DH comfort food is what he considers the foods he reaches for when he is stressed or otherwise emotionally eating.

My I’m sick comfort food is beef (roast best, steak whatever) peas and jello. My emotional eating food is crunchy snacks - potato chips, pretzels, crackers etc.

What foods comfort you? (Illness recovery or emotionally)

My emotional comfort food is Mexican food ... or more recently, Indian has been added to that.
    And for me, "comfort food" is what I eat after successfully completing a difficult semester at uni, or a particularly long, hard bicycle ride, or as celebration for getting a new job or something.

My sick comfort food is chicken noodle soup.

When I'm really stressed, I don't want to eat. In fact, it can get a little worrying at times ... there have been a few times when I've been stressed that I've suddenly plunged into the underweight category of the BMI scale because I've just stopped eating.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Rye You look fantastic!

About eliminating stuff, getting rid of stuff, decluttering, I have a problem with that myself. I have had some success but I have a LOT more to go.

I have a few inspirations -

A) A cousin's wife who would stand at the door as the Amvets truck drove off with her stuff, clapping her hands in glee.

B My friend Jeanette, who, when confronted with an array of doilies, embroidered items, lovely linens, etc., looked at them for a few minutes, picked out the 2 or 3 items she loved the most, and let the rest go.

C) My mother, who said "I've already enjoyed that furniture. I don't need it anymore" when downsizing and selling her beautiful dining room furniture.

D) And my friend Bonnie, who lived to the ripe old age of 97. Every time she downsized, she said, "Keep the best of the best and let the rest go".

I keep all this in my mind and it does help me be more ruthless when getting rid of stuff. It especially helps when I have similar things together (like linens or towels or shoes) and I can pick the ones I like the best & let the rest go.

Karen in Virginia
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Rye, you look wonderful. You are an inspiration and I hope I can look that good one day.

Heather, I want those bowls. I love both the color and pattern.

Comfort food like when I’m sick is Lipton noodle soup with saltines with butter. For emotional eating I go for Cheetos with ranch dip (but only if DH isn’t around as he hates to see me eating that junk. I could eat a whole bag in a day.

DD decided to go to a hotel for a night. Her dad gave her money for Christmas and she just wanted to get away by herself for a night. Work has been super stressful for her and I think her boyfriend is breaking up with her again. He won’t talk to her and said he would talk with her next week. This is like the fourth time they have broken up but they just keep getting back together again. He is older than her and went through a bad divorce. He is still in love with his ex. No chance of them getting back together as she is now with a woman. So he won’t commit to my daughter. I told her he needs to get some help. I just wish she would just move on with her life and find someone who would appreciate her. But all I can do is let her figure it out and be there when it falls apart.

Well time for the nightly reading. It’s dropped to 6 tonight which is a big drop from 60 yesterday so we have had the wood stove going all day. It’s nice and toasty and I’m ready to snuggle in bed with my book.

Terry in VT
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    *16,000 steps
    *185 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *155 minutes riding the exercise bike

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    NYKaren, wish my home was large enough to have an exercise bike so that I could use it while watching tv. That would be perfect.

That was one of the things we were looking for when we were looking for a place to live about 3.5 years ago. We had a little list of features we wanted: 3 bedrooms so that one could be an office, an area for us to set up our trainers and weights, a large area for our bicycles and sports equipment. It took a little bit of looking because houses in Australia don't normally have basements ... but fortunately houses in Tasmania sometimes do have something sort of like a basement.

My husband spend a couple months fixing up the area so that I can go down and ride my trainer while watching TV ... which is just what I'm planning to do in a little bit. I need to spin a bit and stretch things out.

Machka in Oz
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    Options