Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• Fopabella
    Fopabella Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lots of good responses here! For me, I appreciate the honesty. My partner and I have been together for a year and a half, and we talk frequently about this because we want the subject to be open and he wants to give me the best support possible and know what I'd prefer in terms of boundaries of food. I know that he loves my body and we laugh when it jiggles and does funny stuff. I feel absolutely 100% comfortable around him. He has expressed concern about my belly fat, purely for health reasons and knowing that's a bad place for fat to sit generally, but he brought that up because he cares, and he reiterated several times during the conversation that he loved my body anyway. I am grateful for our good communication and our ability to discuss these things as grownups!

I don't think any human has the right to demand any other human do anything with their body, regardless of relationship. But having a healthy, clear communication channel about it, which includes support and respecting others' boundaries, is perfectly acceptable and has made my own life a lot happier!

Edit: Just for the record, I weigh 246lbs and my partner about 110.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can demand a human to do something else. even in marriage.

But that doesn't mean your choice isn't without consequence. You have to be willing to have the conversation. And if you have the conversation- and then you keep choosing to be one way- even though it's having a negative impact on your relationship- well- you may find yourself not in a relationship any more.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yes- I did not mean as an ultimatum necessarily.

I think it is WRONG to demand someone "lose ten pounds or a I leave"
    "Go on this diet with me or else"

certainly you can demand what you want- but it doesn't mean it will get done. I think its not the right thing to do to demand someone do something- if you're in a relationship- it needs to be a conversation. need to do better with spending. Absolutely- but he can't say "stop spending or I cut your cards up" (well he can- but he'll be single really fast)

But we work through the problem.

BUT Flipside- if you aren't willing to be an active participant in the, shall we say negotiations or compromise- you may find yourself alone. In above situation- say I agree- but I continue to be over spendy- and rack up thousands in say- gambling and CC bills- at some point- I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves.

It's about communication and expectation management.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    My wife and I crack fat jokes on each other all the time. I call her my walrus/sea lion/hippo/etc

omgggg.... I would kill you....LOL. I'm happy she is a good sport!!!! I'm not there yet...lol
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't think you can demand a human to do something else. even in marriage.

But that doesn't mean your choice isn't without consequence. You have to be willing to have the conversation. And if you have the conversation- and then you keep choosing to be one way- even though it's having a negative impact on your relationship- well- you may find yourself not in a relationship any more.

sure you can - get healthy or I'm out - stop spending so much money or I'm out, stop being such an *kitten* or I'm out - people do it all the time

@imfornd - How do you feel about couples that aren't married?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    They are vows you make to each other- they should reflect what you want them to reflect and what you are literally vowing to adhere too.
    There is a reason so many people go to "write your own"- we did modified "read after me" vows- and read our own in private on our honeymoon. But we absolutely modified them so they reflected what we wanted to commit to each other.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    They are vows you make to each other- they should reflect what you want them to reflect and what you are literally vowing to adhere too.
    There is a reason so many people go to "write your own"- we did modified "read after me" vows- and read our own in private on our honeymoon. But we absolutely modified them so they reflected what we wanted to commit to each other.

Mine were modified too.... "To Obey", tripped me up....we had to change that to something I could commit to.